So far, what route would you call canon? (OBVIOUS SUPREME SPOILERS)

Eryon

From what's known of the overall plot, I'm leaning towards the Church Path being the one with the best shot of getting for a sequel:

-Actually has a confrontation with Thales, the man behind it all apparently.

-Keeps the Church of Seiros going strong and not crushed or subordinate to an empire.

-Kills off Edelgard and ends her dream of world empire.

-Ends Demitri

-Claude survives from what I recall.

-Byleth becomes king.

All in all, the Church's route manages to both maintain enough of a status quo but puts in juuust enough new events in Fodlan history to keep things interesting.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Eryon said:

From what's known of the overall plot, I'm leaning towards the Church Path being the one with the best shot of getting for a sequel:

-Actually has a confrontation with Thales, the man behind it all apparently.

-Keeps the Church of Seiros going strong and not crushed or subordinate to an empire.

-Kills off Edelgard and ends her dream of world empire.

-Ends Demitri

-Claude survives from what I recall.

-Byleth becomes king.

All in all, the Church's route manages to both maintain enough of a status quo but puts in juuust enough new events in Fodlan history to keep things interesting.

I wouldn't really call it "canon" unless there is a sequel or something being made, but church path is certainly unique

As far as we know, Rhea S support seems only possible in Church path. And they ship her so hard in this path.

In that ending combination, Rhea revels the truths behind the both herself and Byleth, which really completes the story.

And a few things were reflect to the opening of the game, like how it ends in the chapel, with Rhea having blood on same spot as opening.

Edited by Timlugia

It's too early to tell which route is canon, especially when they have DLC story content planned that may shed more light on it.

Personally I hope Edelgard's route is the canonical one, since that would be very ballsy and be reminiscent of how Tactics Ogre's law route (the route where you make some evil decisions) is the canonical one. It's more powerful than any of the other routes which are typical FE good vs evil stories.

Every route sees the continent move in a positive direction due to the actions of the chosen allegiance - picking any of them as right would necessarily select the others as wrong, and that'll affect the perception of the story in a negative way. We're already seeing the fandom consider Edelgard as the villain of the story because she's antagonistic in the other routes, it'd seriously damage the "morally gray" aspect of the narrative if IntSys came out and said that Picking Edelgard Was Wrong And You Should Have Kissed The Pope.

Edited by Arachnofiend

There is obviously no "Canon route", but I agree Church one is closest to it. 

Story is basically about conflict between Church and Empire. And of those two factions Eldegard is more antagonistic one. She seems to be this game Arvis/Rudolf. 

Also Rhea has much cuter S-rank CG, which make it totally more canon. 

Edited by Tenzen12

Again it's less about which is canon and more about which would  make most sense to be. Which I think is topic worthy exploration. 

It's sort of like when people say Eliwood x Ninian is "Canon". We all know that there is no "official" couple (aside of Pent and Louise), most people can agree  storywise it's most reasonable conclusion. Often even if they like Fiora/Lyn more. 

Edited by Tenzen12

Canon is a divisive term. In general though, both the Beagle routes have strong endings, and reveal far more of the plot.

In Edelgard's ending, Byleth is finally restored to full humanity. He can actually live his life as he pleases, rather than being caught in a single role (King or Archbishop). Edelgard's motivations are explained in-depth and she goes from being an extremist tyrant to a well-intentioned emperor who eventually passes on the throne.

In the Church ending, Rhea explains all of the events of Byleth's life and get's rid of any remaining mysteries there. All three lords are either killed or vanish, Those Who Slither are gone and Seiros is either killed or sealed away.

Neither the Lions or the Deer are bad at all, but they don't quite address the main plot issues in the same way Black Eagles do. 

13 hours ago, Tenzen12 said:

There is obviously no "Canon route", but I agree Church one is closest to it. 

Story is basically about conflict between Church and Empire. And of those two factions Eldegard is more antagonistic one. She seems to be this game Arvis/Rudolf. 

Also Rhea has much cuter S-rank CG, which make it totally more canon. 

but arent byleth and rhea related

6 hours ago, Onestep said:

Seiros is either killed or sealed away. 

I am pretty sure that's not the case

Spoiler

One of the ending text, combined with it's unique S-support is that Rhea/Seiros married to Byleth and they co-rule the land and achieved true peace

Edited by Timlugia

1 minute ago, Timlugia said:

I am pretty sure that's not the case

Hide contents

One of the ending text is very clear that Seiros married to Byleth and they co-rule the land and achieved true peace

Spoiler

Rhea and Seiros are not quite the same. Rhea is Seiros's reincarnation, but Seiros seems like another personality, where she shoved all her fury and resentment.

5 minutes ago, Onestep said:
  Hide contents

Rhea and Seiros are not quite the same. Rhea is Seiros's reincarnation, but Seiros seems like another personality, where she shoved all her fury and resentment.

Is there a text for reincarnation part because

Spoiler

So far all the text I found directly implied they were one and the same, especially when she mentions Red Canyon and other past events multiple times

Edited by Timlugia

2 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

Is there a text for reincarnation part because

Hide contents

So far all the text I found directly implied they were one and the same, especially when she mentions Red Canyon and other past events multiple times

Spoiler

Sorry, reincarnation is really the wrong word. Basically, Rhea is Seiros after she shoved all her power away and took on a new identity. It's not reincarnation in the literal sense, but Rhea can't really be Seiros properly anymore. Whenever she taps into the power of her draconic self, the Immaculate One, her sanity frays away and bad things happen to anyone who's partaken of her blood. Rhea is harmless, but the power of Seiros/The Immaculate One is very real and very dangerous.

There is still the DLC to consider, but I have a feeling the DLC will probably focus on Rhea vs Nemesis and be a prequel instead of being a new route where everything is sunshine and rainbows.

As for what route may be canon, I want to say one of Edelgard's routes (Imperial Route or the Church Route) as Edelgard has been pushed the most with official marketing. However, all the routes seem to have wonderful stories within, so I think there is no real "canon" route. Just choose what story you like the best!

As an aside, a part of me is thinking there may be room for a sequel. Reasonings in the spoiler.

Spoiler

This idea comes from Claude's ending. He goes off somewhere else basically saying "his work in Fodlan is done, and he needs to return to his mother's homeland to fix things there." I can see him becoming the main lord of his own game or spin-off. Perhaps there is more to this world than we realize, so we may somehow get a Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn setup. With all the world building Three Houses has, it would be a waste to see it not explored even further.
- - - - -
The reason I say this is because Black Eagles and Blue Lions can be considered the main routes as they both seem to be heavily entwined with each other. The Church route is a nice "what-if" story that also clears up things that were not explained in the previous two routes.

Meanwhile, the Golden Deers are off doing their own thing. While they no doubt have their own stake in the conflict, Claude does not seem anywhere near as invested as Edelgard or Dimitri. At least, that is the impression I get from what little I have read about the routes and their endings.
Of course, this is just wild speculation. Who knows what may happen next for Fire Emblem. They still have their Three Houses DLC to make.

All of them are canon. They are just different universes created for a decision of yours

Just like in Dragon Ball with Trunks, he came from a future that happened even if the curse of the story was altered by him, yet he still exist in a diferent universe in which everything when wrong. Even if the curse of the story changed by his action, he never dissapeared right? Even come back for Super!

That's how I see these "different stories based on our character decision"

Mmm Even Fates said that every route is canon in the DLC, the kids from different universe got together because every one of their universe is canon haha. 3 Houses is the same then! for me at least.

Edited by SniperGYS

I haven't read spoilers, beyond when the Thanibomb leaks first dropped, but with the heavy focus on Edelgard in the reveal trailer I'm going to say her route(s) is/are the canon one(s).

Edited by Maimishou