Jump to content
Eryon

So far, what route would you call canon? (OBVIOUS SUPREME SPOILERS)

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, MyBoyHector said:

Believe the term is "Waifu Axe Lord" There was a reason why hector was both OP and popular ^_^

Back on point, I would like if there was a route where the 3 House Lords were together and you could 100% recruit all students, though I would not care if you could not get Rhea, cause screw her and her secrets!

I dunno, I feel like creating a Revelations route where everything is fine and nobody dies would just diminish the meaning of the other routes. Fodlan's an ugly place with an ugly history, everyone has too many genuine grievances for an optimism route with no consequences to feel anything other than empty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Altrosa said:

I consider the Edelgard route as the bonus villain route, as well. It being so short and having a few extra steps to unlock puts it in an odd place. Edelgard so vehemently believed she was in the right and was just short of being sociopathic enough to not care about her companions that it reframes her actions as being as just as the others despite how brutal the other paths show her to be. 

What we dub the church route is the real Black Eagle route. Edelgard being in so much promo material just feels like the devs wanted more players to complete the BE route first, and they likely knew putting a cute girl up front would appeal to the weebier side of their audience. 

 

That said, I doubt any of the paths will be made “canon” at all. I expect the story DLC to be all prequel content or a few post chapters for all of them. 

 I'm not thrilled with the concept of a canon route, but I do think that this "hard to unlock" argument is wrong-headed. Personally I'd say most quote-unquote True endings in video games are harder to unlock. Look at Binding Blade, and the  effort needed there. Now yes, one could say IS learned there lesson and won't go down that path again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are not completely wrong, but BB added chapter, with true antagonist, where 3H just make your playthrough shorter. BB does not tell you to fulfill conditions to get less chapters and single line in epilogue about Roy fighting Idun twenty years later... 

Edelgard route give some context for her actions, but bring very little beyond that. So I think it's there really just for that very reason. You know Like Hectors bonus chapters give more context to Nergal. 

Edited by Tenzen12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If what I've heard is true and only the BE route handles the crests problem I guess I would go with that route.

BL would be my second choice if it weren't for the fact that they don't even bother with those that slither in the dark (at least that's what I've heard from other people).

Still, I don't think any route comes close enough to be really canon because every route focuses on different plot points and only by playing them all will you get most of your answers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every route solve Crest "problem" though. Edie just delete them altogether which is far from optimal. 

Edited by Tenzen12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

If what I've heard is true and only the BE route handles the crests problem I guess I would go with that route.

BL would be my second choice if it weren't for the fact that they don't even bother with those that slither in the dark (at least that's what I've heard from other people).

Still, I don't think any route comes close enough to be really canon because every route focuses on different plot points and only by playing them all will you get most of your answers.

Actually the crest problem is solved in all routes, it’s stated that Byleth reforms the church in some BL/GD endings. 

BE’s it’s just a more...brutal way to go about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

Every route solve Crest "problem" though. Edie just delete them altogether which is far from optimal. 

Eh, I'd say that's the best solution. Sure humans could still discriminate based on other factors but getting rid of one like this is better in the long run, at least that's my belief.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are talking about power that can safe and improve so many lives, that's not something you give up just to elevate symptoms. If you cure illness, symptoms will disappear on its own. 

Especially as Hanneman can give crest to anyone and make issue of  discrimination completely void anyway. 

Edited by Tenzen12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

We are talking about power that can safe and improve so many lives, that's not something you give up just to elevate symptoms. If you cure illness, symptoms will disappear on its own. 

Especially as Hanneman can give crest to anyone and make issue of  discrimination completely void anyway. 

But you see, that you are trying to discuss these fictionial aspects of a society with another person means in itself that the story has succeeded.

And to that i want to voice as well that i believe there is no true route, it is a thought provoking argument it seem to me and that in itself is the "canon".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Tenzen12 said:

We are talking about power that can safe and improve so many lives, that's not something you give up just to elevate symptoms. If you cure illness, symptoms will disappear on its own. 

Especially as Hanneman can give crest to anyone and make issue of  discrimination completely void anyway. 

I've only completed the BE route. Do the majority of the crests have the ability to heal people?

I'm actually mixed on this and I need to know something before I have a hard stance on this. Can someone who has completed the church route clarify something?

Spoiler

Is it true that thanks to the power of crests the villains manage to fire a "nuke like weapon" and that Rhea has to turn dragon to stop them? I've seen the ending cutscene but I don't know the events around it all that well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No there's no canon route, each route has it its own established canon story and ending. However 

Spoiler

4th route aka Church route has best argument for being considered canon. Least amount of characters deaths, most story lore revealed THSITD defeated and Byleth becomes new leader/archbishop and the church is reformed. If there's a squeal to three houses maybe Edelgard's route.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been watching this thread for awhile and I want to voice an opinion no one else has had, mostly because I’m biased. I actually think the Golden Deer route makes a good contender, for me anyway

Spoiler

Fodlan gets United under Byleth, the empire falls, you deal with Nemsis, TWSITD, and pretty much every possible threat to Fodlan, and it feels like most things are tied up pretty well besides maybe crests, but those feel less important in this route. 

At any rate, it’ll be my head canon route, but I’ll be sad if there is a sequel that only focuses on any singular route 

Edited by Brimney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord of Riva said:

But you see, that you are trying to discuss these fictionial aspects of a society with another person means in itself that the story has succeeded.

And to that i want to voice as well that i believe there is no true route, it is a thought provoking argument it seem to me and that in itself is the "canon".

Agreed 100%. If there’s no route that is 100% better than the others, the writers did their job. That said, 

Spoiler

As the two people above argue, I am more partial to the Golden Deer or Church Routes, which are surprisingly pretty much identical, except one has Claude and the other delves a bit more into Rhea and Seiros. In fact, I’m really shocked you can’t recruit Claude on the church route, since you pretty much get to the same place as you would if you sided with him, but then again, that would probably make the Golden Deer route redundant.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Lord Otto said:

I don't know, I personally believe that the Edelgard path is canon if we had to pick one. Why? She is the pov in the main theme song, all the trailers focused on her. The true ending is never the default path which is what the church is. The harder to get paths are usually the canon one when there are multiple endings. Plus it would be more interesting to pick up on that path for a sequel if they couldn't fit all four paths in a sequel.

There's no rule like this. The argumentation used by some about who is canon in other games, especially pairings are "default is canon" - which I disagree, I need to say. Now there's people twisting this saying that default is hardly canon in rpgs. Seeing this example, it's pretty clear that there's no canon,  and people making rules to try to push one thing over another and disrespecting other players preferences and fun experiences in game is not nice at all.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mylady said:

There's no rule like this. The argumentation used by some about who is canon in other games, especially pairings are "default is canon" - which I disagree, I need to say. Now there's people twisting this saying that default is hardly canon in rpgs. Seeing this example, it's pretty clear that there's no canon,  and people making rules to try to push one thing over another and disrespecting other players preferences and fun experiences in game is not nice at all.  

Look I am not trying to not be "nice", the whole point is what would you call canon. The reason why I pointed that out is due to RPG's and Roy's game. In Roy's is you miss those weapons which most people will do on the default play through is the default path sense you have to go out of your way/make sure to get those to get the canon ending. My point is about forcing others to prefer that ending my point is if one had to be made canon for a sequel that would most likely be the one due to that tradition. I don't see how that is disrespecting people. And it only matters if they make a sequel and make that ending or one of the another a canon ending. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a sequel of a game is made, or the game later fits into a larger universe, then some form of canonity must be established. I don't understand why some people so against games establish canon later on.

Like how Tiki in canon will survive Shadow Dragon and Mystery of Emblem no matter what, due to her returns in Awakening; while Nagi is non-canon in SD, since she only appears if Tiki died.

 

While Three Houses doesn't need a canon at the moment, it will be if they try to continue the story or connecting it to other titles.

Edited by Timlugia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

If a sequel of a game is made, or the game later fits into a larger universe, then some form of canonity must be established. I don't understand why some people so against games establish canon later on.

Like how Tiki in canon will survive Shadow Dragon and Mystery of Emblem no matter what, due to her returns in Awakening; while Nagi is non-canon in SD, since she only appears if Tiki died.

 

While Three Houses doesn't need a canon at the moment, it will be if they try to continue the story or connecting it to other titles.

Well, given that this game is Genealogy of the Holy War 2 (Electric Boogaloo), clearly it won't get a sequel and will instead get a midquel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hekselka said:

I've only completed the BE route. Do the majority of the crests have the ability to heal people?

I'm actually mixed on this and I need to know something before I have a hard stance on this. Can someone who has completed the church route clarify something?

  Reveal hidden contents

Is it true that thanks to the power of crests the villains manage to fire a "nuke like weapon" and that Rhea has to turn dragon to stop them? I've seen the ending cutscene but I don't know the events around it all that well.

 

Spoiler

They are actual missiles using modern technology. They are not crest-powered.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Moonlit Knight said:
  Hide contents

They are actual missiles using modern technology. They are not crest-powered.

 

Spoiler

It's explained why they don't just destroy your armies with tanks, assult rifles and basically playing advance wars instead of fire emblem?

 

Edited by Flere210

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Btw, after playing the game I now believe the DLC would be a prequel about Sothis and Nemesis if the datamined name “Star devouring Silver Wolf” was true.

 

We know that Sothis is referred as the Star by characters of both sides, plus Sothis was the Egyptian name for Sirius. Then the massacre of Red Canyon was 

Spoiler

Nemesis chopped up Sothis in her sleep and made Sword of Creator from her heart and spine.

Silver Wolf sounds like a fitting name for Nemesis since he hair was white, and he’s unkept appearance.

So I feel it’s likely Byleth will either involves in time travel, or memory recovery to witness the events from back then

 

Edited by Timlugia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Flere210 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It's explained why they don't just destroy your armies with tanks, assult rifles and basically playing advance wars instead of fire emblem?

 

At least on the Golden Deer route,

Spoiler

You do end up fighting a whole map of mechs towards the end. Yes, I know. What kind of Fire Emblem game is this?!?!

 

Edited by Moonlit Knight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished BL route after BE. The way this route focused so hard on the Empire and totally ignored the church "evil" methods and TWSITD made me feel it was like, less "canon". I honestly didn't like it as much as I hoped I would. Quite disappointing. I still think BE's route is far much more canon. I will start GD route now. Might change my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recently completed the GD route. It handles the empire and the political mess of the alliance but it's mostly revolved around the problems with Fodlan as a whole rather than any one thing specifically.

Spoiler

So basically Claude's the only lord out of the 3 who is stable enough to look pass any personal issues or beliefs to get crap done. Granted it comes at the expense of a lack personal trauma. Other than that he's fairly neutral.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So here is my question.

Spoiler

Why is El's route so much shorter when compared to each of the other routes? 18 chapters to, what, 24 for the rest? The route spent a significant portion of time hyping up the future shadow war, only to hand-wave it away by saying the Emperor was able to stop it with Byleth and House Varley taking the lead. I would have very much liked to actually play out the hidden war against the mecha-wielding nutjobs, not have it glossed over in the epilogue. If they wanted to address the slither bois, we have 6 potential chapters. Maybe this will be one of the things addressed in the story DLC?

I'm working on a GD run now, and I have a BE/Church save at the ready, but so far, I still greatly prefer BE/El's route and, at least for myself, consider it to be the canon route, or at least my head-canon route. Though that being said, I would prefer it if there was no official canon route. As previously argued, by making a sequel based off of any of the routes inherently depreciates the other three.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...