Recommendations for a game with time skips?

Fryer

Does anyone have any recommendations for a game that involves time skips (over the course of several years) like Geneaology of the Holy War and Three Houses? I was craving something similar to Dragon Quest 5 where the main characters start off as children but become adults as the game progresses. I don't know why but those kinds of stories appeal to me because I like watching characters grow up.

Plenty of games with time travel but that's a much larger genre of fiction, though of those I think the most compelling time skip is Ocarina of Time's since it's a future you created. Phantasy Star 3's generations system is the closest analogue to FE4 I can think of, though marriage only plays a role for the main character and only Gen 2 meaningfully changes with your decisions. Gen 3 quickly funnels itself into the same conflict no matter which of the four protagonists you end up as. Phantasy Star 3 is also just...not a good game. Especially if you're here for the story. Though I found myself wondering if Kaga got his idea for FE4 from this game.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Breadth of Fire III has a 7 year skip part way though where the characters grow up and the world changes, which sounds like the best fit to me, although https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TimeSkip/VideoGames might help you find more examples.

Yeah but most of that list is just "this game has a sequel" rather than a time skip in the game itself.

Dragon Quest V on DS, preferably. It's very fun to revisit places you have been before after a timeskip. Both to see what changed, what NPC changed, and to see the reactions of your companions, both new and old.

Oh yeah, Glennstavos make a good point, Phantasy Star 3 is pretty cool too.

19 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Plenty of games with time travel but that's a much larger genre of fiction, though of those I think the most compelling time skip is Ocarina of Time's since it's a future you created. Phantasy Star 3's generations system is the closest analogue to FE4 I can think of, though marriage only plays a role for the main character and only Gen 2 meaningfully changes with your decisions. Gen 3 quickly funnels itself into the same conflict no matter which of the four protagonists you end up as. Phantasy Star 3 is also just...not a good game. Especially if you're here for the story. Though I found myself wondering if Kaga got his idea for FE4 from this game.

Yeah but most of that list is just "this game has a sequel" rather than a time skip in the game itself.

That's pretty disappointing. I honestly liked how Fire Emblem games made use of its generational system.

4 minutes ago, B.Leu said:

Dragon Quest V on DS, preferably. It's very fun to revisit places you have been before after a timeskip. Both to see what changed, what NPC changed, and to see the reactions of your companions, both new and old.

I only played the SNES version. Is the DS version a major improvement? I didn't like the gameplay that much but I played through the entirety of it because I found the story charming. I tried Dragon Quest 3 before and I dropped it after 3 hours from disinterest.

37 minutes ago, Fryer said:

I only played the SNES version. Is the DS version a major improvement? I didn't like the gameplay that much but I played through the entirety of it because I found the story charming. I tried Dragon Quest 3 before and I dropped it after 3 hours from disinterest.

Heresy, Thy Cursed face is of a an adorable fish with cute teeth.

More seriously and to be fair... yes, the DS version is actually is a major improvement, lot of sidequests, waifus that are actualy viable ("Fiora" or Nera as we call her now, is not a walking pitfall, is the mage of the waifu, and funny of all, is apparently the strongest at higher level.), rebalanced, and let's not forget the best: party convo, which alone, justify replaying this version. You don't even want to have monsters in your party because of that, eh...

Kind of surprised me that you dropped DQ3, I really think it's a good game, but well, it's the last classic DQ.

Just talking about it makes me want to replay both of them.

40 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Would Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life count? Not sure if its a good HM, never played more than a few days due to boredom, but reading of it online, well... it gets me.

I mean, probably ? Your are also living those timeskip in a way. Harvest Moon tends to be a addicting and boring series.

I hope you like melancholy though, because boy, this game's ambiance is sad at times.

Hmm, a time skipp in game, not one where you hop through time, right? I'd give ideas there too, but....

Vandal Hearts is an SRPG with a timeskip, while FFVI has one if you're interested in that one.

If' you're still rockin' your NDS/3DS I can recommend Infinite Space (from NudeMaker/Platinum Games). The battle system takes some time to get used to but otherwise it's a brilliant jRPG take on a space opera. 

I recommend checking out Tales of Graces f. It starts off with the main characters as kids, then a time skip happens and they are all grown up.
While I'm personally not a big fan of this game due to the gameplay being a bit clunky and the characters not appealing to me as much as in other Tales games, it still has its positives. Only problem I see is that it's on PS3, and games for that system aren't exactly readily available anymore.

King Crimson

Chrono Trigger is this up to eleven, although the cast doesn't change with the time travel (it's not actually a "time skip", but might interest you just as much).

Dragon Quest V has two timeskips.

Ah, I just remembered another one with timeskips: Terranigma!

The approach is different, the gameplay's actually pretty dang good and it's probably one of the better SNES games as a result. It is awkward though because of all the games this one has only a PAL region english version (And that only came out in Australia, for reason that I don't know to this day). Emulators can deal with the different frame rate, but just watch for it.

On 7/24/2019 at 4:55 PM, Dayni said:

Ah, I just remembered another one with timeskips: Terranigma!

The approach is different, the gameplay's actually pretty dang good and it's probably one of the better SNES games as a result. It is awkward though because of all the games this one has only a PAL region english version (And that only came out in Australia, for reason that I don't know to this day). Emulators can deal with the different frame rate, but just watch for it.

But Terranigma came out in Europe. Got translated into various other European languages too. German, French and Spanish. Unless you're trying to say that the game never got released in the UK specifically, and that therefore the Australian release is the only English one. But I can't imagine they would have released the game everywhere except for the UK.

Edited by BrightBow

Just now, BrightBow said:

But Terranigma came out in Europe. Got translated into various other European languages too. German, French and Spanish. Unless you're trying to say that the game never got released in the UK specifically, and that therefore the Australian release is the only English one. But I can't imagine they would have released the game anywhere but the UK.

It's weird, but that's what happened. I didn't remember there being one of the French or Spanish versions, but I was mentioning there being only international PAL versions because it runs at 50 fps, something that may cause issues.