What compells us to want to look at spoilers?

Fryer

Ever since Three Houses has been leaked, it got me wondering: why do some people want to look at spoilers knowing full well it will ruin the surprise? I am guilty of doing this to myself but I don't have a genuine reason why I do so. I do the same thing to myself whenever a new Marvel film comes out yet it doesn't ruin my experience.

Edited by Fryer
grammar

For me, its just a way of fuelling my hype for the game/movie in question, to find out some plot detail that makes me completely lose my mind, then I want to see/play it even more to understand how it got to that point.

I’m guilty of looking at spoilers too, quite a lot. It also comes down to the fact that I have absolutely no self control. I’m trying to go in blind, but I’ve already looked at one big spoiler, so that’s not going too well.

I’ve also listened to the final map music, though I can justify that to myself because it doesn’t give away any major plot details.

The thirst for knowledge, hype increases, and overall confirmation bias. When I hear a spoiler I can believe it, but at the same time I also unconsciously don't believe it until I see it happen. And hearing it in text on the internet is substantially different than physically seeing things play out because a lot of details are omitted such as the events leading up to the reveal, the details and expressions of the characters; the atmosphere, tone, and music. All of that normally isn't described and when hearing it as text on a web page it's as colorful or as dull as one's imagination allows it to be.

This is why I personally don't particularly care for spoilers when it comes to games, movies, or books. In essence it's the philosophical viewpoint that one's reality is what lies right in front of them rather than what others tell them what reality is. Basically do you allow yourself and your opinions and thoughts to be what others tell you it should be or are you an independent thinker that will accept given information but not fully put your cards into it until you verify the facts yourself.

Spoiler

A good aside would be like with FFXIV how Yoshi P likes to tease things for players at fan fests and The Rising, as well as adding details that are basically spoilers but not fully detailing it until the proper timing (such as everyone knowing The Exarch was G'Raha but them being ambivalent about it, or about "spoiling" the nature of Hydaelyn and Zodiark in the ShB trailer but still giving us leeway to doubt Emet/Solus/??? until the very end where his recreation confirms everything he said as hard fact.)

I like to into things blind, especially when it comes to RPGs, but I can definitely see where people are coming from that do want to look at spoilers. Because video games aren't exactly cheap, I think those people just don't want to buy a game they aren't sure will be worth the purchase. If they know enough about the game, they can then make the decision with a clear conscience and not end up regretting it later.

7 hours ago, Fryer said:

why do some people want to look at spoilers knowing full well it will ruin the surprise?

probably because we live in a society where a part of consumers has grown too much spoiled over the years, to the point of willing to see/know everything as soon as possible, even if it means ruining their own experience(and potentially that of other people too) of discovering something new by themself in due time.

there could also be other factors involved in the process, but i'm pretty sure in most cases it's all about stupidity taking over curiosity, wich can eventually lead to disappointment in case there's too much expectations/hype involved.

I think it's important to note that not everyone cares about spoilers. Sometimes those spoilers motivate to get through the game/story faster if a person isn't sure they want to start or continue.

There's also definitely people out there who enjoy knowing things before others do. Watching people's first time reactions can be a lot of fun.

Spoilers hardly ruin the surprise for me. I very much find myself still enjoying stuff, even when i know what is going to happen. Sometimes the knowledge of what is to happen adds to the enjoyment.

18 hours ago, sothis said:

I think it's important to note that not everyone cares about spoilers. Sometimes those spoilers motivate to get through the game/story faster if a person isn't sure they want to start or continue.

There's also definitely people out there who enjoy knowing things before others do. Watching people's first time reactions can be a lot of fun.

I'm with you there.  I actually prefer for a story to be spoiled so I don't waste my time if it seems like it's not something I'll like or be interested in.  Spoilers that show the story going in a direction I like will cause me to watch something I might not have otherwise.

Edited by Moonstone

• 2 weeks later...

I generally read or watch spoilers if it is something I really care enough about. My desire to know and my dislike of surprises makes me spoil myself. I have never encountered a situation where I regretted ruining a surprise or knowing more than I should have. For me personally, ruining a surprise is always a good thing.