Hello, hope your day is going okay.

I don't know how to start this other than to explain who I am before proposing this idea, so I don't look like a complete idiot.

So hi! I'm KingNecro, a veteran fire emblem player. I've been on these forums since about 2015, but I don't exactly post much. I just read other peoples comments and go off of that. But I've been recording videos, playing rom hacks, and trying to make some of my own ever since then.

Recently I had my old computer fixed, and I went through my storage and found some old fire emblem files that used to play. From this, I went to my new computer and started diving back deep into the fan-made games, and even playing through Fe6, 7, and 8. I recently finished playing through The Last Promise, and after suffering through the cringy edgelord that is Kelik, I realized that I wanted to make another fully fleshed out game. I don't know about the rest of the community, but I love playing through other people's rom hacks, because it shows off their own ideas, how they can create their own world and gives you a story to just dive deep into.

Then I realized that I am literally shit at art and music. Not to mention, I have no idea how to code complex things into the game like voice acting. MarkyJoe's video of FeBuilderGBA taught me a lot about event editing, but that's about it.

Then I also realized that there are a lot of really talented people in the community that could really contribute, and if we all worked together, we could make one cool motherf*cking hack.

I know what you're thinking. I seem like I'm new because I haven't posted on these forums in god knows how long, and it seems stupid to just pop up out of no where and suggest that random people come together and make a hack. I've realized that. But hell I want it, and I'm sure a lot of other people do too. So why not?

So if you're still reading this and haven't clicked off/wrote a comment telling me how much of an idiot I am, hear me out.

For a fully fleshed out hack we need:

• 3 event editors
  • 3 composers for music
  • 2 Map designers
  • 2 portrait designers
  • 2 animation designers
  • 1 Weapon and class designer
  • 2 storyboard writers
  • 1 Support convo writer
  • 1 Title screen artist
  • 1 Skill designer/coordinator
  • Voice actors (The Last promise did it, we can do it better)
  • As many test players as possible

I think that if this all comes together, we should make this an Fe8 hack with skills and new animations and things of the sort. I have some ideas for a story that haven't been built up yet, but I don't want it to be just my ideas. That's the fun of making a hack like this, we can put everyone's ideas in it

Also, if the hack goes well enough, I'm willing to compensate for the people who really put a lot of work into it.

Let me know what you think, give me your feedback, let me know if I forgot anything. Thanks!

Edited by KingNecro
Had to add tags

What kind of voice acting are you trying to have?

If you want your game to be fully voiced, then your best bet may lie not in hacking, but in SRPG Studio.  It's about $60, but I think it's money well-spent.

3 hours ago, KingNecro said:

Not fully voiced, just a couple of special lines throughout the game.

Ah.  In that case, maybe you could get away with a hack.

But if you like playing other people's fangames, please give Sanctaea Chronicles a try if you can (SRPG Studio games only seem to be compatible with Windows).

17 hours ago, KingNecro said:

Then I realized that I am literally shit at art and music. Not to mention, I have no idea how to code complex things into the game like voice acting. MarkyJoe's video of FeBuilderGBA taught me a lot about event editing, but that's about it.

Then I also realized that there are a lot of really talented people in the community that could really contribute, and if we all worked together, we could make one cool motherf*cking hack.

I know what you're thinking. I seem like I'm new because I haven't posted on these forums in god knows how long, and it seems stupid to just pop up out of no where and suggest that random people come together and make a hack. I've realized that. But hell I want it, and I'm sure a lot of other people do too. So why not?

So if you're still reading this and haven't clicked off/wrote a comment telling me how much of an idiot I am, hear me out.

For a fully fleshed out hack we need:

• 3 event editors
  • 3 composers for music
  • 2 Map designers
  • 2 portrait designers
  • 2 animation designers
  • 1 Weapon and class designer
  • 2 storyboard writers
  • 1 Support convo writer
  • 1 Title screen artist
  • 1 Skill designer/coordinator
  • Voice actors (The Last promise did it, we can do it better)
  • As many test players as possible

I think that if this all comes together, we should make this an Fe8 hack with skills and new animations and things of the sort. I have some ideas for a story that haven't been built up yet, but I don't want it to be just my ideas. That's the fun of making a hack like this, we can put everyone's ideas in it

Also, if the hack goes well enough, I'm willing to compensate for the people who really put a lot of work into it.

Let me know what you think, give me your feedback, let me know if I forgot anything. Thanks!

maybe you're not aware of it, but there's actually another similar project in the works:

[main topic]

[playable units/enemy bosses]

there's only a raw demo available at the moment, but as you can see from those topics, we've been gathering portraits sprites and some ideas for a while.

however, there's story scripts missing along with some characters portraits, plus with Three Houses getting released the project will probably go in standby for the time being.

since you said that you already have some ideas for a story, you could have a chat with @Von Ithipathachai and @Sub Zero to share your concepts and see if they can be integrated in the project.

as for the list posted above:

• 3 event editors - need to ask Von.
  • 3 composers for music - no idea. need to see if someone is willing to make music for it, or we could just use other existing music, and eventually try to turn it into GBA versions.
  • 2 Map designers - need to ask Von.
  • 2 portrait designers - i did some portraits sprites for the people who didn't have them/couldn't make them, but i'm sure there's also other spriters around here.
  • 2 animation designers - if i can get battle motions from the SRPG Studio assets, i could do customizations. building animations from 0 is a no-no for me though.
  • 1 Weapon and class designer - same goes for weapons assets. basicly i can change/customize anything related to sprites, as long as the file format can be worked on with Photoshop. for classes, need to ask Von.
  • 2 storyboard writers - Von, Josh. you could be included.
  • 1 Support convo writer -  Von, Josh. you could be included.
  • 1 Title screen artist - *sigh* ...i should be able to do that too.
  • 1 Skill designer/coordinator -  need to ask Von.
  • Voice actors (The Last promise did it, we can do it better) - to be honest, they're not really needed, but it's not only my choice.
  • As many test players as possible - shouldn't be a problem.

also, since i don't believe in random coincidences, this might very well be the right time and a good opportunity to make that project move forward. the rest is up to you guys.

6 hours ago, Fenreir said:

as for the list posted above:

• 3 event editors - need to ask Von.
  • 3 composers for music - no idea. need to see if someone is willing to make music for it, or we could just use other existing music, and eventually try to turn it into GBA versions.
  • 2 Map designers - need to ask Von.
  • 2 portrait designers - i did some portraits sprites for the people who didn't have them/couldn't make them, but i'm sure there's also other spriters around here.
  • 2 animation designers - if i can get battle motions from the SRPG Studio assets, i could do customizations. building animations from 0 is a no-no for me though.
  • 1 Weapon and class designer - same goes for weapons assets. basicly i can change/customize anything related to sprites, as long as the file format can be worked on with Photoshop. for classes, need to ask Von.
  • 2 storyboard writers - Von, Josh. you could be included.
  • 1 Support convo writer -  Von, Josh. you could be included.
  • 1 Title screen artist - *sigh* ...i should be able to do that too.
  • 1 Skill designer/coordinator -  need to ask Von.
  • Voice actors (The Last promise did it, we can do it better) - to be honest, they're not really needed, but it's not only my choice.
  • As many test players as possible - shouldn't be a problem.

also, since i don't believe in random coincidences, this might very well be the right time and a good opportunity to make that project move forward. the rest is up to you guys.

• SRPG Studio games tend to be one-man shows as far as active implementation of stuff is concerned, so I'd be handling all the event editing.
  • Custom music was not planned, but I guess we could have a few custom tracks.  Unlike the portraits, these don't necessarily have to be GBA-style.
  • I'd also be handling most of the map design, though other people could give feedback.
  • We have portraits made by several different people right now.  Actually, I still need to put all of the updated portraits in the portrait list.  I know Fenreir did a major portrait dump in one of those Serenes Forest Emblem threads, I just don't remember which one.
  • Any battle animation customizations would have to be restricted to custom palettes, or I'll need to make a copy of a class that has different graphics.
  • I've already got the class system sorted out (it's going to have the same one as Sanctaea Chronicles with Bow Armors as a new addition), but I guess Fenreir could help with custom weapon graphics if somebody wants a personal weapon.
  • Josh should be doing most of the story writing while I turn his scripts into playable maps.
  • Not sure who's doing Support conversations yet, but those will probably be handled much later.
  • Thanks, Fenreir!  I'm excited to see what kind of title screen you can come up with!
  • I already have the Skill system sorted out, too.
  • I have yet to do any experiments with voice acting in SRPG Studio, but at the very least certain dialogue scenes can have small voice acting samples.

alright then, let's go by points once more:

20 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:
  • Custom music was not planned, but I guess we could have a few custom tracks.  Unlike the portraits, these don't necessarily have to be GBA-style.
  • I'd also be handling most of the map design, though other people could give feedback.
  • We have portraits made by several different people right now.  Actually, I still need to put all of the updated portraits in the portrait list.  I know Fenreir did a major portrait dump in one of those Serenes Forest Emblem threads, I just don't remember which one.
  • Any battle animation customizations would have to be restricted to custom palettes, or I'll need to make a copy of a class that has different graphics.
  • I've already got the class system sorted out (it's going to have the same one as Sanctaea Chronicles with Bow Armors as a new addition), but I guess Fenreir could help with custom weapon graphics if somebody wants a personal weapon.
  • Not sure who's doing Support conversations yet, but those will probably be handled much later.
  • Thanks, Fenreir!  I'm excited to see what kind of title screen you can come up with!
  • I already have the Skill system sorted out, too.
  • I have yet to do any experiments with voice acting in SRPG Studio, but at the very least certain dialogue scenes can have small voice acting samples.

• or we could eventually use chiptune music to match the graphics, in order to have an overall decent imitation of old school SNES/GBA kind of SRPGs.
  • technically, i could draw maps too. i would have to get the image files with tile sets though, and probably you'll have to copy/remake them in SRPG Studio later.
  • they're here, last page: https://forums.serenesforest.net/index.php?/topic/87415-serenes-emblem-discussion-thread-character-roster-is-finalized/page/14/#comments
  • anything that's sprites can be customized, as long as it's a .PNG file or other kinds of image files that can be worked on. proof of that: fen.png
  • i can. actually, i already did one for my unit's signature weapon, however i'm not sure if it has a proper size for SRPG Studio assets. i could resize it eventually: Arcane-Greatsword.png
  • Supports should probably be created by users(at least, by those who care enough to do so) in order to put their own background stories and thoughts into the game. i already have my own ideas, they just need to be applied and put together with those of other people. i currently don't know who could be interested.
  • ...guess i'll start doing some concepts again.
  • and if needed, i can make custom skill icons too. you know, to have some variety.
  • that looks more like using sound samples, rather than doing real voice acting. yet again, i think that would be the last thing to consider, as there's other priorities in terms of development.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2019 at 9:34 AM, KingNecro said:
  • 2 storyboard writers
  • 1 Support convo writer

As a writer for one of these Fe8 hack things, I'm just going to point out that this isn't the greatest of ideas. Bad stories happen when a lot of people throw components at a wall and see what sticks. Good stories happen when you have one person with a goal and a vision who takes input from a lot of people. Also, having 2 storyboard writers and 1 support? That should actually be flipped - it's a lot harder to write good supports, considering that about 50% of FE dialogue is 'look bandits, let's kill 'em.' Full supports, aside from being insanely difficult, requires consistently good writing and worldbuilding and is really too much for a single writer to handle on their lonesome, especially in a fanhack.

That said, I'd consider contributing if you gave a bit more about your plot than 'I have an idea for a massive Fire Emblem game'.