Three Houses Review Megathread

BZL8

Surprised there isn't a review megathread for Three Houses here, so I thought I would make one. Will be updated as reviews come in.

MetaCritic: 87

Opencritic: 87 (Mighty)

Video Reviews: 

Easy Allies: 8.5/10

Gamexplain: Liked it a lot!

Nintendo Life: 9/10

HappyConsoleGamer: Recommend

Reviews:

Kotaku: Recommend (Review contains spoilers!)

IGN: 9.5/10

Gamesradar+: 5/5 (Opening image is a spoiler!)

Gamespot: 9.0/10

Game Informer: 9.5/10

The Guardian: 4/5

Eurogamer: Recommend

RPG Site: 8/10

USGamer: 4.5/5

Destructoid: 9.5/10

Nintendo Enthusiast: 9.5/10 

15 minutes ago, Brimney said:

I wish there were more perfect scores but still this seems like a fantastic turn out

To be honest, I'm not sure how much stock I put in perfect scores these days after many of them were handed to Breath of the Wild like candy despite having more issues than they'd like to admit.

Overall it looks that reviewers generally agree that the Black Eagles route is the most fleshed out route. Due to the strong ties with the characters

The other routes are not as positive in comparison, mileage may vary.

Advanced issues found

Spoiler

Dimitri is either a solid compliment to her that offers a legitimate alternative take on fixing society or feels like his route has a limited scope since he's so focused on human affairs and ignores Rhea schemes. Claude is either an interesting spinoff that deals mostly with an unexplored side of the lore or feels strangely disconnected from the central conflict of the other two lords. The Church route is either an interesting contrast to Edelgard or feels hollow with such a minimal cast.

48 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

To be honest, I'm not sure how much stock I put in perfect scores these days after many of them were handed to Breath of the Wild like candy despite having more issues than they'd like to admit.

Exactly review scores are pretty pointless imo. BotW while a good Zelda game the flaws were absolutely there yet wasn't noted by many and got high numbers despite it... Also I wouldnt take the "flesh out route" thing seriously either since that's subjective I'm likely gonna love all 3+secret one. Overall I couldnt care less about reviews or scores but I'm glad for the majority there REALLY high for one of my all time favorite series!

Edited by Dorothea Joestar Arnold

Watched EZA and GameXplain reviews and learned quite a bit of things to expect both good and bad. I wish GX's review didn't rely so heavily on post-time skip footage since I hadn't been looking to be spoiled on those designs or late game classes and abilities and the review didn't really mention anything pertinent to the time skip to warrant footage of it. The words "time skip" were said once as if we know what that is. As a series veteran I know what that is but it feels like a bizarre oversight for the average viewer to not expand on it.

These reviews also have me rethinking my decision to play on Normal. I usually prefer Normal on first playthroughs since harder playthroughs are more engaging once you've learned the units and mechanics and can make informed decisions. However, everybody is commenting on how easy the game is on Normal and how helpful the turnwheel is that Hard is starting to sound like the "developer intended" difficulty rather than an optional challenge. In which case, it should be called "Normal"

Edited by Glennstavos

13 minutes ago, Dorothea Joestar Arnold said:

Exactly review scores are pretty pointless imo. BotW while a good Zelda game the flaws were absolutely there yet wasn't noted by many and got high numbers despite it... Also I wouldnt take the "flesh out route" thing seriously either since that's subjective I'm likely gonna love all 3+secret one. Overall I couldnt care less about reviews or scores but I'm glad for the majority there REALLY high for one of my all time favorite series!

It's called the Zelda Effect, and it's a real phenomenon. Basically, every Zelda game gets amazing reviews (90+ on metacritic), and then everyone forgets about it in, like a year or two. Most people point to Twilight princess as the starting point for it, and I agree with them. I literally remember nothing about that game, and it scored way higher than a ton of games I do care about.

That said, Breath of the Wild does seem to be more... lasting than usual contenders (skyward sword, link to the past, etc.)

Especially in this day and age, when you can watch so many trailers/let's plays, it's really easy to judge a game's merit for yourself. Unless there's some huge flaw later, like, "this game makes you think it's 40 hours long, but in reality, it ends abruptly after 10," or "halfway through, the game loses all the fun elements and just becomes crappy", most games are exactly what they seem on the surface.

Edited by dragonlordsd