Diving Into The World of Emulation: A New Mystery Ironman

KnightOfNohr

As I feared, FE12 Flame Barrel on anything but Normal is utterly unfair and diabolical blind. FE3 had the politeness to restrict reinforcements to only the three forts behind the starting position, which you could easily block or outrun to the seize point. FE12, nope, it lets dragons crawl out of everywhere. This chapter is why I dropped the game for a while.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/15/2019 at 8:21 PM, KnightOfNohr said:

All jokes aside, I'm glad to see another Lloyd fan on here! I like to watch Anime muted, and imagine the characters' voices for myself, and you know who Lloyd sounds like? Claude.

So in your version of the anime, Lloyd appears twice, leaves for "play his route to find out!" reasons and never shows up again?

Frankly, I don't think Claude's voice compares to Lloyd's. In either version. Both his OG voice and his english voice are godly, he steals the show every single time he shows up. Claude is okay.

tcgZPQ4.png

...he has discovered true power.

Except he's a pretty bad Paladin. After promoting, he has 1 HP, 2 strength, 3 skill and 1 speed on Leiden. Also, base Leiden has 1 defense on promoted Luke. In other words, instapromoting Leiden would've been a better use of this seal. Luke wins when it comes to resistance, though, so there's that...?

Yeah. True power my ass. Baldie should've stayed a healer.

kYtBwnK.png

I do not trust you forts in the slightest.

You do well not to. This chapter is evil.

XF2T06V.png

Nice! Double-digit magic!

He was all like "This is outrageous! It's unfair! How can you be a Khadein Mage and not have double-digit magic?!", and decided to fix the issue post-haste.

l5ww0KZ.png

Oh, and this exact level, over and over again.

Dude, with that speed cap, it's effectively a perfect level. Why are you complaining?

vfP0SBO.png

Oh, I almost forgot: Darros is here. We'll be recruiting him, for the sake of not fighting this promoted unit, but he probably won't get much use. His stats are probably as good or worse than Dice if we promoted him right now.

Actually, Darros is, perplexingly enough, one of the game's best prepromotes. Right now he's better than every prepromote you'll get up to Midia, joining sooner than all of them. He's also better than Dice, contrary to what you said.

I have no idea why they decided to give such a huge buff to such an unremarkable character, but all right. I'll take it.

Ryan picks up after his older brother.

JwZsToo.png

Meh.

In more ways than one, I see.

4XRN5Pn.png

Less than perfection. Of course, Strength means you could argue the streak is broken.

This is perfection for a Myrmidon, I have no idea what you're saying.

3IGdMhO.png

Malice picks him off, getting a great level.

Case in point.

m2LuILA.png

OH, COME ON!

gxevB3z.png

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

...yeah, I got nothing. I cannot defend this. Stuff like this is why I would never Ironman a FE game in my first run. Every FE has bullshit of some sort, each and every one of them, and Ironmanning when you don't know it's coming is just asking for death to come get you.

chUjnI8.png

THESE PUNKS ARE THE FAKEST DIFFICULTY IN THE ENTIRE FRANCHISE.

...I will say something about this, though. These guys are up there, but at least they have the decency to come out of forts. Not saying it's not bad, it very much is, but I consider FE6 and FE5 to be way worse. Three Houses, too. No, no, c'mon, hear me out at least. "Boss that has no movement randomly begins moving when you put someone in their would-be range", "hill explodes and prevents everyone from moving without warning" and "boss that has infinite counterattack range and doubles everyone begins moving if you attack the Mage next to him" are just a couple of examples of what Three Houses's idea of difficulty is. And it's not a good one, let me tell you that much. It lies to the player's face very frequently, and I'm surprised nobody's making more of a fuss over it. The waifus are stronger, I guess.

And no, Divine Pulse does not change anything. Bad design is bad design, giving you built-in savestates doesn't magically make it better, it just makes the bullshit necessary for the game to be even remotely difficult.

...I am way too vocal about my distaste for Three Houses, I'm going to get lynched one of these days.

qepVc6S.png

Anyway, I need a break. See y'all next week. 

Understandable. Let's just forget this ever happened, and return armed with this newfound knowledge that forts are bad.

Just, please, do keep in mind, if you see forts, they're probably going to shit out units when it will cripple you the most. So be careful from here on out. On the bright side, the game rarely has reinforcements that don't come out of forts, so for the most part, you're safe in that regard.

On 9/18/2019 at 1:19 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

I have no idea why they decided to give such a huge buff to such an unremarkable character, but all right. I'll take it.

To make up for his speed growth in Shadow Dragon. Frankly, he could have his own game and they'd still owe him for that.

...yeah, I got nothing. I cannot defend this. Stuff like this is why I would never Ironman a FE game in my first run. Every FE has bullshit of some sort, each and every one of them, and Ironmanning when you don't know it's coming is just asking for death to come get you.

Ironic I got away with it (almost) unscathed in my Blue Lions run on Three Houses (albeit one marred by two game over due to "surprise the hill is on fire" and "protect the Green unit who appears from nowhere"), and an Ashe death to a low hit/low crit.

And no, Divine Pulse does not change anything. Bad design is bad design, giving you built-in savestates doesn't magically make it better, it just makes the bullshit necessary for the game to be even remotely difficult.

...I am way too vocal about my distaste for Three Houses, I'm going to get lynched one of these days.

To be fair, it is a worrying direction to substitute actual difficulty for "we surprise you and you rewind time to work it out". Incidentally, I recently realized Death Knight's all range counter doesn't apply to ballistae/onagers/magic orbs. Throw in the fact Meteor does splash damage (hitting foes next to a targetted unit for indirect damage thus not triggering counters)... I've came up with some ways to really cheese the guy in some maps.

Understandable. Let's just forget this ever happened, and return armed with this newfound knowledge that forts are bad.

Just, please, do keep in mind, if you see forts, they're probably going to shit out units when it will cripple you the most. So be careful from here on out. On the bright side, the game rarely has reinforcements that don't come out of forts, so for the most part, you're safe in that regard.

Yeah. I admit I prefer it when games have the reinforcements come out of forts instead of "look they just popped out of this random pixel". It makes more... you know, sense. Maybe you can get away with other places if there's a gate or bridge or door or staircase something leading off the map to telegraph that it's a place someone may enter the map. Point is, as much as I hate ambush spawns, the ones I hate most are the more arbitrary seeming ones. There's a very specific example from a very specific paralogue in a very specific game that comes to mind.

On 9/15/2019 at 11:21 AM, KnightOfNohr said:

kYtBwnK.png

I do not trust you forts in the slightest.

They are an enormous neon sign that reads TRAP. I am surprised you didn't sit your three weakest characters on them for the entirety of the map. Then again I don't remember off the top of my head if they are blockable reinforcements, I think they are but am not entirely certain.

7IumBqy.png

Called it! I called it, you Protosauring Pteradons!

Much as it is leading to your misery here I do appreciate how well they setup this first part of the area based reinforcements here to make the player deal with an envelopment. They are timed just right so if your team is together you have a turn to react to them despite the ambush spawn, and they happen just as you are aggroing the troops ahead, and with enemies dangerous enough that you can't trivialize the threat from either side. As brutal as it is, it deals with a dangerous tactical situation that most Fire Emblem games fail to pull off even when they attempt it.

m2LuILA.png

OH, COME ON!

...but then the delayed reinforcements that are trigger had to be Wyvern. I hate Wyvern, they have more movement than you can possibly have, with the brute strength of dragons that is difficult to deal with.

gxevB3z.png

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

I think that confirms reinforcements this map can be blocked, as an extra enemy should be on that middle fort you blocked in the north.

WHY

NGuazhS.png

LOOK, RANDOMLY SETTING EVERYTHING IS ONE THING, BUT AMBUSH REINFORCEMENTS?

chUjnI8.png

THESE PUNKS ARE THE FAKEST DIFFICULTY IN THE ENTIRE FRANCHISE. THESE GUYS ARE THE REASON THE EXALT AND THE KING WAS MY LEAST FAVORITE CHAPTER IN ALL OF FIRE EMBLEM UP UNTIL NOW.

HkU4HIT.png

No, this Mustafar-At symbol Dollar Sign Dollar Sign map takes the spot. I AM SALTIER THAN A LARGE FRY FROM MCDONALDS; TRUST ME, I KNOW HOW SALTY THAT IS. I'M AMERICAN. 

Oh boy, next chapter's trap is going to dial the salt up to 11 isn't it... good luck, but I guess that is next week's concern. (also I wanted to add a little emphasis to my Wyvern hate here as they seem to be doing the killing in all these images)

i46kfKM.png: Brother, no!

vSOkCoK.png: Don't delete my 100% completion LEGO Star Wars save file...

Too real man, too real.