GameStop just cancelled my Seasons of Warfare pre order.

Title says it all.

I pre ordered Seasons of Warfare from GameStop back in like... February/March. Just now got an email saying my pre order was cancelled. Spent like three hours on the phone with customer service to basically be told “sucks to be you” and not be given any real reason for the cancelation.

I’m mostly numb because I expected some kind of bullshit to go down but I was dumb enough to stay on the ship to try and get those pins.

I have made quite the tactical error.

Anyone else been having issues with their pre orders? I really hope nothing got localized exclusively by the SoW goodies

10 minutes ago, Bloom said:

Did you do it online or in store?

I ordered it online back when they first came available basically immediately, and I made sure like four times everything was correct on my end before finalizing the order just to try and minimize or eliminate the chance of error on my part. I do have the order number still but idk if that will even do me any good at this point since they’ve already more or less washed their hands of it and said “well there’s nothing we can do I guess”.

if there’s anything I could try on my end I’m all ears but as far as I’ve been informed they’ve basically trashed the whole order and it’s now null.

I’ve heard of this happening to other people before in the past but I guess part of me didn’t expect it to happen in 2019.

Edit: a friend suggested GameStop oversold the SoW edition. I’m half suspecting this, so if there starts being an epidemic of GameStop pre orders being cancelled like this, just be warned I guess

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

These terrible companies knowingly take more preorders than they can fulfil on the basis that some people will cancel. Airlines do the same with seats. Normally it works out but it's still not rare for this kind of thing to happen. There's probably some bullshit smallprint hidden away on their site saying they don't actually guarantee to meet all orders so they don't get sued. 

UGH. I’m so sorry for your experience! I ordered Fates special edition from GameStop because I wanted a set of exclusive keychains that was promised to be included. They were of chibi Azura, Ryoma and Xander, and getting them was the only reason why I even went with GameStop over Amazon. During the weeks leading up to its release, I am not sure if you recall, but GameStop cancelled a bunch of orders. Thankfully, mine wasn’t, but they never gave me my keychains and when I asked them about it (I ordered in-store), they said they didn’t even know about any keychains. I felt so ripped off, on top of the freight I endured hearing so many others having their preorders canceled. 

This time around, I figured I was not going to get those pretty pins regardless, and I was scared they would cancel a bunch of orders again, so I just went with amazon. I hope you get your special edition one way or another; once again, I’m so sorry for your experience!

While it could be on GS end, sometimes distributors tell a buyer that they can receive up to X number of copies of a product, while the distributor may not provide them with enough to fill the orders.

source - I tried buying the Ravnica Mythic editions, the people who distribute physical games do a pretty similar thing. 

Who really knows, I would put it up to the distributors.

I seriously did not know entering this topic that it referred to a 3H limited edition.

I saw the title, and I thought "What is this? Some wacky Call of Duty spinoff? Some wacky Story of Seasons spinoff? A Plants vs. Zombies spinoff?"

...I leave this room.🙇‍♀️🙇‍♂️

I'm sorry that happened to you and I hope you can get a copy somehow! I pre-ordered the Special too, so I'm hoping they won't cancel mine. Will be pissed if they do. I also had to change the credit card, since the old one expired. No big deal with that, but... If they cancel more orders, I will start to worry.

Goddamn, that really sucks a lot.  What an atrocious thing - to be someone who paid for a product way ahead of time only for them to not even give it to you.  I sure as hell hope you at least get some recompense for the trouble they gave you, because "sorry" doesn't cut it when you paid full price for a product.

41 minutes ago, Matroska said:

These terrible companies knowingly take more preorders than they can fulfil on the basis that some people will cancel. Airlines do the same with seats.

The fact that you're comparing them to airlines, of all things, is a testament to how awful they are.

I got boned by them too. Just got the email saying mine was cancelled earlier today.

I used my PayPal to set up the pre-order when they first started accepting them. Got an email this weekend that said my PayPal was declined, so I talked to support (multiple times) to get my payment switched over to my credit card. I get charged for the game literally yesterday, and less than 24 hours later they cancel. They did the same thing to my friend with PayPal as well. Like, if you can't figure out how to charge someone through PayPal, don't make it an option at checkout....

I won't be using GameStop any more...

I guess in exchange for no midnight release physical or digital for working up my stream with everyone else, pins, and so forth, at least it appears I get security in my order for purchasing via Best Buy. Also I still have my GCU so I saved $20 on the the LE copy. Guess I should count my blessings then. Really sucks this happened to you. I remember something similar with Fates like one person above mentioned, and luckily I was still able to get my copy from GameStop back then. My local one also knew about the keychains and I got that along with the game and to this day the three still dangle around with my keys and assorted third party keychain membership cards.

1 hour ago, eclipse said:

This wouldn't be the first time this has happened.  IMO if you want to pre-order from Gamestop, go into the store and do it.

At the risk of sounding stupid; what precisely is different/better about doing it in store? Is it just so you have a name to point a finger at or is there more to it than that?

every time I’ve done it in my local stores, they seem to usually just pull up the website

(they also tend to not know what their actual stock is here. I had a huge issue getting the Labo VR starter kit because of that)

Edited by Hero of the Fire Emblems

1 hour ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

At the risk of sounding stupid; what precisely is different/better about doing it in store? Is it just so you have a name to point a finger at or is there more to it than that?

every time I’ve done it in my local stores, they seem to usually just pull up the website

(they also tend to not know what their actual stock is here. I had a huge issue getting the Labo VR starter kit because of that)

it's better because if you find someone that can actually do his/her job properly, you're guaranteed to get what you ordered, even if it may come a bit later than expected. then again, you need to have luck to get the right shop assistant.

otherwise, if you order by website, it just goes by "stock priority", meaning that if many people ordered the same thing before you and what you ordered eventually runs out, you may end up getting the middle finger and that's it.

i never ordered by website, always ordered what i wanted directly by store, and always got what i paid for, be them games or amiibos.

I just got a call this morning saying mine was delayed because if stock issues but I can’t imagine having it cancelled...

If game stop wasn’t the only gaming store near where I live, I’d be never shop there

Edited by Azz

4 hours ago, eclipse said:

This wouldn't be the first time this has happened.  IMO if you want to pre-order from Gamestop, go into the store and do it.

Even in that case you're not safe. Back then, I pre-ordered Fates Limited Edition at the store. They only got 1 copy in day 1 and I was lucky because I was the very first to pre-order. Everyone else was screwed. 

So yeah, I wouldn't trust Gamestop at all in general. Never got a single game from them ever again. 

Sorry man. 

In my case I had reserved my self a version of the special edition at my local store but when I went today I was told that they had only got 3 of them and they already got sold yesterday (why yesterday) and while another shipment would be coming today they didn’t know when of if it would come before closing time and I have a plane tomorrow. So I searched in other stores and thankfully found one in a electronic store. To tell the truth it’s really big nearly the size of a PS4 box.

Yeesh. I had almost ordered from GameStop for the pins, but then I saw the UK edition had pins that I much preferred the look of. Plus I don't have a cd drive on my computer really anymore so a usb stick is much preferable. So I ordered from the UK. Got my confirmation, bad news is I will not be able to play for close to a week due to shipping times. This thread has me really happy I didn't go for GameStop.

But yeah, getting my Limited Edition canceled is pretty much my biggest fear when it comes to Nintendo products.

Anyways, so sorry that happened.

7 hours ago, Hero of the Fire Emblems said:

Generally speaking (there are exceptions of course), you have a much better chance for several reasons.

First, the manager of the store will know in advance exactly how many copies they're getting. The copies have to be shipped to the store, so the store will be able to look and see "hey, we're supposed to have 13 copies, but we're only getting 12." Often times, they can report this and get an extra copy ordered.

Second, if they can't get more, there's a VERY good chance that either someone who ordered a copy will not pick it up, or (more likely) someone will order a copy from a different store in the area and not pick it up. Thus, they can give you that dude's copy instead, or at least tell you which store you can go to to get a copy.

Third, it's possible someone will just return a copy, possibly unopened. Again, they will usually let you know, and you can pick it up.

Finally, if all else fails, they're usually much better about notifying you in advance if something goes wrong. It's also not possible to have your order canceled because of a pay pal issue or your card declined.

For people who had it cancelled, did you pay for it when you pre-ordered it? If it got oversold, I'm guessing they'd give it to the people who paid first. Because I ordered mine two months ago and got my confirmation email yesterday. But I paid for it when I pre-ordered it. I also pre-ordered it at the store, but from online.

I also ordered from gamestop(thankfully not cancelled), but the cashier on hand mentioned that Nintendo had started underselling to them (since Octopath Traveller). So it might actually be Nintendo at fault, rather than Gamestop itself