How 'worth it' do you think Hidden Talents will be?

On a character by character basis, obviously. They're not gonna be all good or all crap.

As a reminder, these characters have these hidden talents:

Byleth: Faith

Edelgard: Reason
Hubert: Lances
Dorothea: Faith
Ferdinand: Heavy Armor
Bernadetta: Riding

Dimitri: Riding
Felix: Reason
Mercedes: Bows
Ashe: Lances
Sylvain: Reason

Claude: Axes
Hilda: Heavy Armor
Lysithea: Swords
Ignatz: Reason
Marianne: Lances

Flayn: Reason

Edited by Corrobin

5 minutes ago, firewitch912 said:

Oh nice, thanks.

Not knowing the overall meta of the game... Bernadetta's budding talent looks incredible from a tactical perspective. The "penalize a stat after doing damage" skills are likely also good for boss killing and such. The rest are hard to evaluate without playing with them. 

28 minutes ago, Arachnofiend said:

Oh nice, thanks.

Not knowing the overall meta of the game... Bernadetta's budding talent looks incredible from a tactical perspective. The "penalize a stat after doing damage" skills are likely also good for boss killing and such. The rest are hard to evaluate without playing with them. 

I think Soulblade and Ice Lance are really good for Lysithea and Marianne/Hubert as well, since it gives them magic based combat arts for those weapons. The couple different sealing combat arts also look like they could be useful.

Really the only one that seems unhelpful is Edelgard's because 

Spoiler

her specialized classes apparently can't use magic, and it'd be a pain/waste to raise her as any magic focused class because of her special promotions

My first thoughts (from a totally "on paper" perspective only). Also, it doesn't look like it's particularly difficult to unlock these hidden talents, so investing in even the sort of "meh" options shouldn't really waste too much time or resources.

BE

Spoiler

Edelgard - She gets some very interesting spells (including Luna!), and she has a good magic growth, but unfortunately her Prof classes do not let her use magic as far as we know. Still, it seems very viable to play around and put her in a magic class if you're so inclined.

Hubert - His "default" class appears to be Dark Knight, which Lance is necessary for, so this is really useful.

Ferdinand - The Eagles don't really have anyone else that's really suited for Great Knight, so Armor would be useful for that. Seal Speed is also incredibly useful if you want to play him as a tank absorbing hits on the Enemy phase since it makes it so much easier to mop up on your phase.

Bernandetta - Mounted Emblem for the win.

Dorothea - She surprisingly doesn't have any particularly interesting Faith skills, so I wouldn't bother unless you're going for Gremory.

BL

Spoiler

Dimitri - Again, his Prof classes do not have horses. I'm also having a hard time seeing how Seal Movement would be in any way useful. Still, he needs something to do before he unlocks his special classes, and Cavalier/Paladin is really your best bet for Lance users.

Felix - He doesn't have any particularly good spells and his magic is Meh. Unless you're going for Mortal Savant, this wouldn't be particularly useful.

Ashe - Lance is needed for Bow Knight, which is where he seems to be headed

Sylvain - Unlike Felix, he does have some decent spells if you want to make him a Dark Knight

Mercedes - From the site, it looks like she gets a special bow for her crest, but I don't know if she'll get the strength to really use it well.

GD

Spoiler

Claude - His Prof classes don’t require or give bonuses for Axes, but you can at least use them and axes are useful if you want him on a dragon before then

Ignatz - He doesn't really fit in to any particular master class lane (though he's got thief and assassin down), so Reason would be useful if you want to take advantage of his swords and go Mortal Savant. He also gets fimbulvetr which is probably one of the better spells due to that nice crit rate

Lysithea - This would be useful for magic swords and Mortal Savant because she should be using magic all the time and not bothering with anything physical

Hilda - Same deal as Ferdinand, basically.

Marianne - Very useful if you want her on a pegasus or as a holy knight

And

Spoiler

Flayn - She has high magic and decent spells, so Reason would make a lot of sense for her

Edited by Moonlit Knight

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Hidden Talents things characters are bad at? Yeah they apparently have benefits if you work to overcome them but I'd rather focus on improving things that the characters are already good at.

2 minutes ago, Maimishou said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Hidden Talents things characters are bad at? Yeah they apparently have benefits if you work to overcome them but I'd rather focus on improving things that the characters are already good at.

Most Hidden Talents are neutral. Only Dorothea, Felix, and Lysithea's Hidden Talents are in direct weaknesses. And unlocking these perks turns them into strengths, with boosted EXP from teaching and all.

Edited by Corrobin

1 minute ago, Maimishou said:

Hidden talents start off bad or neutral, but if you invest enough into them they switch to something they're good at.

13 minutes ago, Vitezen said:

@Moonlit KnightClaude can use his budding talent as Barbarossa. You can also throw a sword on Gremory Lysithea so she can take advantage of it without being denied her other magic abilities.

Thank you. I meant to say that they weren’t required, but yes he can use axes in any class he wants.

22 minutes ago, Moonlit Knight said:

My first thoughts (from a totally "on paper" perspective only). Also, it doesn't look like it's particularly difficult to unlock these hidden talents, so investing in even the sort of "meh" options shouldn't really waste too much time or resources.

BE

Reveal hidden contents

Edelgard - She gets some very interesting spells (including Luna!), and she has a good magic growth, but unfortunately her Prof classes do not let her use magic as far as we know. Still, it seems very viable to play around and put her in a magic class if you're so inclined.

Hubert - His "default" class appears to be Dark Knight, which Lance is necessary for, so this is really useful.

Ferdinand - The Eagles don't really have anyone else that's really suited for Great Knight, so Armor would be useful for that. Seal Speed is also incredibly useful if you want to play him as a tank absorbing hits on the Enemy phase since it makes it so much easier to mop up on your phase.

Bernandetta - Mounted Emblem for the win.

Dorothea - She surprisingly doesn't have any particularly interesting Faith skills, so I wouldn't bother unless you're going for Gremory.

BL

Reveal hidden contents

Dimitri - Again, his Prof classes do not have horses. I'm also having a hard time seeing how Seal Movement would be in any way useful. Still, he needs something to do before he unlocks his special classes, and Cavalier/Paladin is really your best bet for Lance users.

Felix - He doesn't have any particularly good spells and his magic is Meh. Unless you're going for Mortal Savant, this wouldn't be particularly useful.

Ashe - Lance is needed for Bow Knight, which is where he seems to be headed

Sylvain - Unlike Felix, he does have some decent spells if you want to make him a Dark Knight

Mercedes - From the site, it looks like she gets a special bow for her crest, but I don't know if she'll get the strength to really use it well.

GD

Reveal hidden contents

Claude - It doesn't look like his Prof classes use Axes either, but at least axes are useful if you want him on a dragon before then

Ignatz - He doesn't really fit in to any particular master class lane (though he's got thief and assassin down), so Reason would be useful if you want to take advantage of his swords and go Mortal Savant. He also gets fimbulvetr which is probably one of the better spells due to that nice crit rate

Lysithea - This would be useful for magic swords and Mortal Savant because she should be using magic all the time and not bothering with anything physical

Hilda - Same deal as Ferdinand, basically.

Marianne - Very useful if you want her on a pegasus or as a holy knight

And

Reveal hidden contents

Flayn - She has high magic and decent spells, so Reason would make a lot of sense for her

Spoiler

The difference between Claude and Edelgard/Dimitri is that Claude can still make use of axes even if they aren't a proficiency for the class. Edelgard and Dimitri have wasted budding talents since they aren't usable at all in their special lord classes. Dimitri is arguably more reasonable because cavalier is the natural path to send him pre Lord, but more importantly his skill can be applied in any case, while Edelgard can only use hers with black magic.

Dorothea's budding talent could work really well if she's a dancer or priest, since those classes typically aren't bulky and that extra avoidance will help, especially if you end up wielding healing spells after using them (I don't know if you do or not though)

12 minutes ago, Corrobin said:

Most Hidden Talents are neutral. Only Dorothea, Felix, and Lysithea's Hidden Talents are in direct weaknesses. And unlocking these perks turns them into strengths, with boosted EXP from teaching and all.

11 minutes ago, Arachnofiend said:

Hidden talents start off bad or neutral, but if you invest enough into them they switch to something they're good at.

Oh! I remember hearing that they were weaknesses but if they're actually neutral I might do them after all. Are the perks for Dorothea and Lysithea's worth it? I don't need details since I'm trying to avoid spoiling too much of the game before my copy arrives tomorrow, just a yes or no is good.

1 minute ago, Maimishou said:

Oh! I remember hearing that they were weaknesses but if they're actually neutral I might do them after all. Are the perks for Dorothea and Lysithea's worth it? I don't need details since I'm trying to avoid spoiling too much of the game before my copy arrives tomorrow, just a yes or no is good.

Lysithea's is definitely worth it, Dorothea's is nice and can be beneficial, but you'll probably prefer just having her Faith change to a strength rather than use the skill itself that much

6 hours ago, Lynsanity said:

How much investment do the hidden talents require? Is it true that only tutoring affects unlocking them, not battle experience etc?

56 minutes ago, iavasechui said:

Could be wrong since I can’t even play mine until 6pm today but I think that when you increase its level in tutoring you get a star and all three stars gets it unlocked

Yeah, so you have to spend time tutoring them in that specific skill. There's three stars, but we aren't actually sure if it only takes three times to change (I think I remember someone mentioning that they saw a video of Hubert being tutored, and the first two times fill stars, but the third time didn't). It could also differ depending on the character too

Edit: as for order, it just depends on how early you want those characters to use those skill levels. The only obvious one to do from the beginning is Dorothea, because her natural path is as a mage, and it'll be better if she has access to more magic.

Edited by firewitch912

Either way I will be working to unlock any that will benefit my characters XD so while I probably won’t bother with say reason on Edelgard if she can’t use magic as her unique class (if she can then I will no question unlock it) but if I go golden deer I am thinking of making Lysithea my dancer with her talent in swords good authority and the fact that dancers can use magic. She can always switch back to a more magic focused class if need be but I think she’d be an amazing dancer.

They are definitely worth it for all classes. They are relatively easy to get (Approximately 3 - 4 tutoring sessions) and they give skills that help out a lot early in the game.

Good chance by end game you will get better skills, so its a good idea to just unlock these early to make the best use of them.

Edited by IzzyFresh
Full list already posted