Am I getting RNG screwed?

I think it's just lower than usual growth rates, I also got screwed a bit here and there. Edelgard isn't leveling strength (as a Fighter, too), Hubert is struggling with Magic (good base is definitely helping him keep up) and Byleth is a slow ass snail. Speed all around is also quite low, and in the Eagles especially so. The only unit that is actually getting some Spd is Petra, Ferdinand is up there and I guess Bernadetta, but I haven't used her that much. On the other hand Edel is tanky as hell and the magic trio Dorothea-Hubert-Linhardt breaks everything (I'm also on hard btw).

1 hour ago, Spectrum said:

I started with BE on Hard. Most of my units are at LV 8 and 5 of them didn't gain speed at all. Should I just restart the battles? I'm so frustrated. I keep getting doubled 80% of the time.

Well, first, it IS hard mode. But yeah, sounds like it's rng. If you've got a few chars that will level up immediately, try resetting until you stat fix a bit. I can't say yet how OCD you need to be about stat fixing. I was doing it a ton in Echoes, but it turned out to be pointless because you could literally just use fountains to immediately fix your dudes.

9 hours ago, timon said:

I think it's just lower than usual growth rates, I also got screwed a bit here and there. Edelgard isn't leveling strength (as a Fighter, too), Hubert is struggling with Magic (good base is definitely helping him keep up) and Byleth is a slow ass snail. Speed all around is also quite low, and in the Eagles especially so. The only unit that is actually getting some Spd is Petra, Ferdinand is up there and I guess Bernadetta, but I haven't used her that much. On the other hand Edel is tanky as hell and the magic trio Dorothea-Hubert-Linhardt breaks everything (I'm also on hard btw).

Bernadetta is actually pretty great. Made her a pegasus knight and she can kill and run most of the time. Mages are great, but my other units are really weak due to RNG so it's hard to keep them protected.

5 hours ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

You sound like you're getting RNG-screwed.

Though I feel I should also point out that almost every Cavalry class has a negative Spd growth rate.  So watch out for that.

I am getting screwed actually. I just saw my brother's walkthrough and he's doing way better than me. Most of his units have 10+ spd unlike mine. I guess I'll keep going for replays and avoid Cavarly for now. Thanks.

On average my level ups have given me 2 stats each. Even the characters are complaining about it when they level. I'm not on Normal/Classic (as has become my standard) but the battles all seem really hard. I passed up an in-house lunch meeting just to get everyone to their 2nd classes because I didn't want them to die. They're really underleveled, if we're going by "recommended level" on the battle menu, but other than making them fight all the time, I'm not sure how to resolve that. At least I don't have any deaths...

Anyway, all that to say that I wonder if growth rates are just low in this game. Glad to see I'm not alone, but I'm sorry for others' misfortune.