Things You Really Like About This Game so Far

As one of this game's earliest naysayers (something easily proven by my forum posts), I'm happy to say that my doubts were misplaced and so far, I am LOVING this game. So, here's a quick thread for people to list all of the things that they really like about this game.

For me, the way grinding is handled here is probably the best I've seen so far. If the game must have grinding, this is the best way I've seen it done. See, although you can grind infinitely, you cannot PROMOTE your units while you are grinding. You have to stop grinding in order to do this. I really like how that caps out how much grinding you can actually do in one go. As opposed to say, the tower of Valni, which you could just repeat infinitely. Also, you have to give up a time slot to grind, making it a recruiting trade off. Additionally, if you want your units to switch to something they can't do at all (like, magic for byleth), you can't just grind it. Some skills can only be built up to their minimum levels via seminars and other activities. But notably, those activities don't increase your stats, so it's a good trade off.

What are some other things people like?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Claude.

How the academy and basically the entirety of Fodlan feel alive and well made.

The gameplay in general.

Claude.

Being able to explore the academy.

Claude.

The story so far.

And did I mention Claude? HE IS GREAT. ❤️

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Claude.

The gameplay in general.

Claude.

Claude.

The story so far.

You forgot to say Claude. :^)

I really appreciate how the characters all have fleshed-out backstories. And the full voice acting definitely helps with the emotional impact of scenes. 

There's also just... the whole monastery mechanic. It's so good. 

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Claude.

The gameplay in general.

Claude.

Claude.

The story so far.

Leonie, the gameplay, the overall atmosphere, and so much more that I love.

And especially Claude!

Edited by MetalAmethyst

1 hour ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

I really appreciate how the characters all have fleshed-out backstories. And the full voice acting definitely helps with the emotional impact of scenes. 

Seconded. Full voice acting is SO much better than just grunts and nods. Really helps the characters feel more fleshed out.

1 hour ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

You're very right, but I have to say, getting through Bernadetta's support is a grind. And I don't mean rising the support level, I mean watching the scenes (at least the C ranks). The background music is obnoxious and tries to be a "funny scene music" but it's just not, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be comedy or what (I hope it's not, because goddam is it awful), but it's annoying to see the same "I'm scared you're going to kill me" gimmick repeated over and over again with that irritating screeching voice (it's so high-pitched argh). /rant, had to get it out somewhere lol

I am very glad I was proven incredibly wrong about the cast, they're all so likeable. The supports are amazing. Potentially the best bunch of supports in the series. Standouts have been Dorothea, Ferdinand, and Hubert, none of whom I was particularly looking forward to getting to know, and Edelgard as well. She has the potential to be one of the best lords, she's so unlike any other protagonist in the series. The world feels so carefully constructed, I'm blown away by the lore, how every character has a history, and while I was sceptical of the school setting, I love how it's works to gather all sorts of people who all have their own goals and reasons for being there. It mostly all feels very organic. The voice acting is great and scenes are really beautifully animated. Such a step up from the 3ds titles.

Like others have said...Claude!

But I've been pleasantly surprised with the amount of unique dialogue in this game. I was expecting meal times and group tasks to have a bunch of generic dialogue and although there is some, it changes if certain characters are together. It really fleshes everyone out. I love the VA too - it's hard to dislike Lorenz when his voice is so nice! lol

I totally agree, I love the voice acting (EN) !! Some voices are just PERFECT (Rhea's VA is.... wow.). I also love the fact that there are so much characters at the monastery that makes everything more alive (The Gatekeeper is the best).

I'm loving the supports so far. Some are less interesting than others, but it's pretty much normal. I died of laughter in Ashe/Dimitri C support and Annette/Felix C support. Please watch them if you're doing BL. 😄

I'm just 18 hours in, but god I love this game !

I love how the support conversations are working, at least the ones I've seen. I picked the Blue Lions for my first playthrough and have gotten a bunch of C supports and I love the subtle world-building that goes into them and how they build the characters. Ashe has turned out to have the most adorable supports while the one between Felix and Dedue was so well written and so uncomfortable to read through in the best way possible. The voice acting in this game is amazing as well, and I'm just having so much fun playing.

Also, spoilers below for some of BL's supports, but I need to gush.

Spoiler

Oh my god, I had no clue how much I was going to love the interactions between these two. I was so sure that Ashe should end up with Annette because they just study and chat and make math adorable and then Ingrid strolls in and they start gushing about their favorite books and I just want them to form a book club where they quote random scenes word for word and gah! I love the Blue Lions!

And the look on Felix's face when Ashe starts talking about how Felix is just like this guy in a book! I love Felix's shocked face; it's delightful!

Ingrid listing off Sylvain's early attempts at romance; I sincerely couldn't breathe. He flirted with her granny! When he was eight! 🤣 And I desperately need to hear the story of why Sylvain attempted to court a scarecrow. That is the DLC we all deserve.

2 hours ago, Book Bro said:

I am very glad I was proven incredibly wrong about the cast, they're all so likeable. The supports are amazing. Potentially the best bunch of supports in the series. Standouts have been Dorothea, Ferdinand, and Hubert, none of whom I was particularly looking forward to getting to know, and Edelgard as well. She has the potential to be one of the best lords, she's so unlike any other protagonist in the series. The world feels so carefully constructed, I'm blown away by the lore, how every character has a history, and while I was skeptical of the school setting, I love how it's works to gather all sorts of people who all have their own goals and reasons for being there. It mostly all feels very organic. The voice acting is great and scenes are really beautifully animated. Such a step up from the 3ds titles.

The cast is super likable for me so far. Some characters (Felix, Dedue) I wasn't sure on, but they are great! Interacting with everyone, even those not from my House, is very fun. Wandering around the school is great (and I love the music). It's nice to just relax, walking around and chatting with whoever's around, maybe taking on a quest of theirs. The world building is fantastic; I feel like I'm really there. Only other school setting that did that for me is Harry Potter. The amount of everything that went into the game blows me away.

1 hour ago, Clathy said:

I totally agree, I love the voice acting (EN) !! Some voices are just PERFECT (Rhea's VA is.... wow.). I also love the fact that there are so much characters at the monastery that makes everything more alive (The Gatekeeper is the best).

I'm loving the supports so far. Some are less interesting than others, but it's pretty much normal. I died of laughter in Ashe/Dimitri C support and Annette/Felix C support. Please watch them if you're doing BL. 😄

I'm just 18 hours in, but god I love this game !

I didn't play Echoes and only a bit of BOTW (I'm one of the few that doesn't like Breath of the Wild very much), so I was a little worried that I wouldn't like full voice acting. But there was no need. So far everything has been spot on. Rhea's voice is amazing and I want to talk to her all the time. The music is great, too. The theme that plays when Sothis is around is awesome. So is the theme when Rhea is around. Don't get me started on the cathedral theme, either. Can I just sit in there forever and not worry about teaching? No? Darn.

I'm currently at the mission in Blue Lions where you go fight Loranto's rebellion. Managed to get everyone promoted to a basic class, so I must be doing something right. Still trying to up my own magic, reason and faith to recruit some people. Ugh, so hard so far with that.

1 hour ago, SimplyUnknown said:

I love how the support conversations are working, at least the ones I've seen. I picked the Blue Lions for my first playthrough and have gotten a bunch of C supports and I love the subtle world-building that goes into them and how they build the characters. Ashe has turned out to have the most adorable supports while the one between Felix and Dedue was so well written and so uncomfortable to read through in the best way possible. The voice acting in this game is amazing as well, and I'm just having so much fun playing.

Yes, I'm having fun unlocking the supports for my Blue Lions team. Its not just portraits anymore! The characters finally do things! I love it. Some of them are just so funny.

The worldbuilding is on the level of some fantasy novels I've read, and I like that, at least so far, the game isn't essentially handwaving the stratified society; classism is a genuine problem in this world, and it has an impact on the characters beyond the superficial.

Plus, imperial German aesthetics anywhere are a good way to win me over, and the Black Eagles are no exception.

i was a big neg on the whole aesthetic of the game early on and honestly i fucking love it now

i also love everything about the game, but i think it's important that the one thing that i never liked i actually like now

4 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I like how you can roleplay Byleth as some kind of nutter obsessed with ghosts. It tends to come up a lot in your possible dialogue options. 

If there's any reason why you might argue Three Houses is the best Fire Emblem game, it's this one.

Don't have a Switch, BUT it's pretty fun. Annette was weak at the beginning now she's over the top 😛 Also the rally str she gives can get you a higher AS because of weight.

Dedue is a monstetruck in Chapter 2 mission, he block every (physical) dmg, and weakened enemies to other to finish them.

I like how you can train your character in YOUR way.

I really enjoy the fleshed out animations and cutscenes. The characters feel so alive with fully voiced and developed back stories. I really feel close to my students. Not to mention every line is voiced. Woohoo!

I'm loving the exploration mechanics. Soooooo good.

And the character interactions. WOW. Everyone has their little side stories to tell, and even the characters that are somewhat jerks (looking at you, Hubert), are very entertaining to watch. Unlocking Support convos is an absolute blast in this game.

Also Dorothea. Lover her character, her design, her voice. She's great!

I dunno, I just really like exploring the monastery.  As I've said a few times before, it reminds me of when I first played Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 and saw the big new hub world they had.  Except with this there's more to do.

Also really like the music.  In particular, I really like the battle prep theme (As Swift as Wind), the first map theme (Fódlan Winds), the second map theme which you first hear when you take the students out to conduct their first real mission (Dwellings of the Ancient Gods), and the third map theme (Tempest of Seasons).  Also like the one theme called "Tactics", which plays throughout a very tense section of the game - though that may partly be because of how I felt about the actual section itself (you'll know it when you come across it).

And the emphasis on developing your team the way you want to is great.  I made Bernadetta a bow-wielding pegasus knight, and it's absolutely great.  I opted to gear Caspar towards being an armor knight, and Sylvain I'm making into a mage/cavalier so that he can eventually become a Darknut that obliterates everything in his path with unholy fire.

Oh, and I like the brother-sister duo of Seteth and Flayn more than I expected.  Really, I like a lot of the characters, but this was probably the most significant change - it was from "huh, alright" to "if anyone hurts these two, I'll murder them dead".

5 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I like how you can roleplay Byleth as some kind of nutter obsessed with ghosts. It tends to come up a lot in your possible dialogue options. 

45 minutes ago, ZeManaphy said:

I really enjoy the fleshed out animations and cutscenes. The characters feel so alive with fully voiced and developed back stories. I really feel close to my students. Not to mention every line is voiced. Woohoo!

This is absolutely the best Fire Emblem has looked since the GBA games. The Tellius games looked terrible in combat with uninspired animations, the Marth remakes really rocked that play-doh aesthetic, and the 3DS games managed the worst of both worlds with awful character designs* and 3d models in combat that were only a slight upgrade over PoR/RD.

The character designs in Three Houses range from good to great and we're finally getting combat animations I don't want to turn off. My only complaint is the battalion cheerleaders which are... not great, at all, but there's enough going on with the character I care about that I can largely ignore them.

*Shadows of Valentia is exempt from this criticism. Combat animations are still bad, though.

So far I think what I'm enjoying the most is the UI and the presentation overall. Everything is just super clean and easy to use, not to mention the art syle, music, voice acting... Seriously, whoever thought of casting Lucien Dodge as Felix, THANK YOU. It fits so well.

Gameplay is also really fun so far, I'm enjoying using battalions and gambits a lot more than I thought I would. Some of the support gambits (like Stride. I cannot get enough of using Stride. +5 movement OP) are so good that when I first saw what they did, I legitimately shrieked in excitement. 

And as for the story, well (spoilers for chapter 3 below)

Spoiler

The story so far is a lot darker than a normal FE game would be this early. I had Ashe finish off Lonato because I figured that it was too early for the game to get too dark, obviously we were just going to force him to surrender. Nope. Ashe killed his own father (adopted, but still). After that, the dialogue that occurs between Ashe, Dimitri and Byleth afterward took on a whole new meaning, and I actually had to put the game down and take a minute.

So far, the game has just given me a lot of memorable moments, both within and outside of gameplay. Definitely competing for my favourite entry in the series thus far.

I'm on chapter 9 of the Deer and I love pretty much everything about the game so far. 

The supports are amazing, everything is fleshed out. The little touches like the school bell being the Fire Emblem theme among so many others.