Things You Really Like About This Game so Far

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The game is very good.

I really like the characters and their depth thus far, even though i have to agree with the one poster about Bernadetta.

In general the supports are well executed, however they do not avoid their one trope per character design, which is a shame.

While i expected to not like it, the visual design also grew on me, this is probably also due to it being so snappy when it comes to action. A far cry from the Tellius games.

Still not a fan of mixing realistic environments (and realistic looking animals like cats and dogs) with the anime aesthetic but overall it is very good.

there are some things i do not like though, but they are small things:

- The Menus are a bit cluttered and way to complicated to navigate. It's not that they are inherently unclear but rather to find everything you need you have to click an awful lot. it's all over the place

- Fishing brings teacher rank, leading me to fish 40+ times each month

- The class system is good on paper but as expected, through the low growth rates not really flexible at all. Has anyone seen hubert as a Fortress knight? he looks amazing, not that it would ever happen as he would be practically useless. In the end that means that you can sidegrade some characters a bit (Caspar is currently my thief going swordmaster as an example)

3 hours ago, Anathaco said:

Reveal hidden contents

The story so far is a lot darker than a normal FE game would be this early. I had Ashe finish off Lonato because I figured that it was too early for the game to get too dark, obviously we were just going to force him to surrender. Nope. Ashe killed his own father (adopted, but still). After that, the dialogue that occurs between Ashe, Dimitri and Byleth afterward took on a whole new meaning, and I actually had to put the game down and take a minute.

Oh hey, thanks! I wanted to know what would happen if you did this (I had the same thoughts as you) but I chickened out. It was still rough, though!

I’ll echo what many have been saying:

- the monastery and world-building

- the likable cast

- better-fleshed out characters that aren’t one-note caricatures

- a lot of decently written female characters, I can’t remember the last time I played a game where I actually enjoyed the female characters

- the voice acting is decent all-around so far!

Just going to put it here because I don't see enough Edelgard appreciation around, but oh boy, what an absolutely amazing character she is. Sure, sometimes she comes off a bit arrogant, but reading through her supports is a continuous discovery, she's got incredible depth, and to be honest (though I'm still early on) I can't see her becoming a villain like some are saying.

I guess she'll probably use some "questionable" ways, but her ideals and principles are far too just for her to become "evil" (unless she changes them later on, obviously), I'll have to do a Blue Lions run after all, to see how Dimitri can stand up to what Edel is fighting for.

And props to her VA btw, I know some people weren't happy when it was changed, but I think she did a great job.

7 minutes ago, timon said:

Just going to put it here because I don't see enough Edelgard appreciation around, but oh boy, what an absolutely amazing character she is. Sure, sometimes she comes off a bit arrogant, but reading through her supports is a continuous discovery, she's got incredible depth, and to be honest (though I'm still early on) I can't see her becoming a villain like some are saying.

I guess she'll probably use some "questionable" ways, but her ideals and principles are far too just for her to become "evil" (unless she changes them later on, obviously), I'll have to do a Blue Lions run after all, to see how Dimitri can stand up to what Edel is fighting for.

She strikes me as somewhat similar to Alvis.  Relatively cold, arrogant, tragic past, big ambitions, railing against the harsh and corrupt society they find themselves in...

There are some major differences, of course, such as the fact that Edelgard dislikes the crests so much while Alvis outright states his pride in his holy bloodline (even spinning his Loptuous bloodline in a positive light, even though it ironically ends up being the primary cause of continent-wide grief about a decade later).  But I feel like if there was any character that inspired Edelgard's creation, it was probably Alvis.

This, coming from me, could be considered a compliment, as I feel like Alvis is one of the better antagonists in the series.

I'm on chapter 5 of Black Eagles (Hard, Classic).

I've found the difficulty quite good. It's engaging enough to make me think, but not cheap/overwhelming like Radiant Dawn or Fates.

I really like the cast so far, except for Raphael and Caspar. For my own crew, Linhardt has actually become a quick favorite, and I didn't expect him to be. I love how he just cuts down the bullshit of whichever pretentious noble he talks to, but makes sincere attempts to empathize with the more likeable characters like Bernadetta and Petra.

I really love how magic and bows not only feel distinct from one another but extremely useful. Bows are great for softening/finishing targets from a safe distance and magic packs so much punch and versatility.

-DIALOGUE TREES OMGGGGG

-Byleth not really having set text like Robin and Corrin. 

-Being able to teach my guys to do anything i want them to. 

-Hogwarts esque monastery school with lots to see. Its h u g e. 

-Character interaction at its best for FE. 

-World building all over the place. 

-Recruiting guys from other houses. In your face, Black Eagles! Im up in yo base stealin yer doods

-How supports look and work. 

-battalions

and finally: 

C L A U D E 

Here's a list (until Chapter 7 - Blue Lions, completely blind):

• Game looks beautiful
  • Fishing minigame is fun
  • Characters aren't one-note stereotypes and have actual depth to them
  • Supports are more than "gimmick v. gimmick", showing actual character growth and interactions
  • Combat animations are great
  • The fact that you can fully customize EVERY character however you want
  • You can choose what Byleth says
  • You can REPAIR WEAPONS!!!!
  • Great worldbuilding

7 hours ago, timon said:

And props to her VA btw, I know some people weren't happy when it was changed, but I think she did a great job.

She is incredibly three dimensional and unique among lords. It makes me angry that a lot of people are already reducing her to "man she crazy" just because she's ambitious and doesn't see things in black and white.

You know, I'll also say this.

I like the lords of this game more than a lot of lords in the series as a whole.

Of course, picking Black Eagles I only ever really get to know Edelgard, but I do at least like the personalities of the other two as well.  I may even start new files to go through those two before I finish my first playthrough.

3 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

She is incredibly three dimensional and unique among lords. It makes me angry that a lot of people are already reducing her to "man she crazy" just because she's ambitious and doesn't see things in black and white.

I feel the same way.  I saw the first C-support between her and Byleth, and that alone added so much to her.  Then there's all the talks she has with others about her ambitions and what she wants to make the empire into - about what she thinks of the crests and the importance they have for Fódlan's society.  The things you experience throughout the game help to justify her feelings.

She's multi-layered and against the grain of a lot of lords we've seen throughout the series.  She's what the Nohrian royals of Fates should have been.  And I concur that it's a disservice to her character that people just reduce her to "she's crazy".

Personally, I love the addition of "expanded supports." Those little arrows above the letters means there are multiple convos for that support line. So, for Edelgard, she has a C rank and C+ rank conversation.

There's plenty of other awesome things in Three Houses as well, but I'll likely reiterate what others have already said.

So far I'm loving the writing. While there are some overly silly anime tropes that fall flat here and there, by and large it's great. There's a ton of thought put into fleshing out the world, and the characters have been very interesting so far. I'm doing Blue Lions and man Dimitri is turning into a favourite character for me.

I can name a lot of things I don't like, haha. But I think the characters are really in depth and I've enjoyed most of them, surprisingly. I found all of the Black Eagles characters interesting tbh. I'm enjoying Dimitri quite a bit more than I thought I would, he's definitely one of my favorites already. There are also others I felt nothing for until actually watching their support and using them in battle. The story has its ups and downs for me tbh.

After playing a couple of extra chapters I have more to say:

- The main story is inclusive of your entire team and not just the Lord and the story-proof characters. I just finished a Black Eagles chapter that was a rescue mission and in the opening cutscene all my students were involved, not just Byleth and Edelgard. For the first time in the series it feels everyone matters (Echoes was the closest prior but there were still plenty of characters limited to Supports).

- I love that Magic now works as skills rather than separate weapons. Makes way more sense than tomes that run out of pages/power/whatever and lowers the clutter of things to carry around. Amazing QoL improve.

- The gauntlet weapons are amazing. I love that we can finally punch enemies. I'm honestly tempted on making my entire team A-rank them.

- I love, LOVE, that every character, Noble or Plebian, seems to have a first and last name. This adds a lot to the world building, as it shows the multiple lineages that exist, which plays a big part in the main story as well as supports. I really believe previous games didn't do this just out of laziness, so I'm glad they finally gave everyone (well, almost) a full name.

- Minor, but I like how there so many kitties and puppies running around the Monastery. It's a really cute detail.

I FINALLY got to the end of the first part after spending essentially three days straight playing this game. My thoughts:

-They weren’t kidding when they said this game was long (but I played relaxed while talking to everyone and doing all the side battles). And, yet I still feel incredibly engaged. I can’t believe I’m only halfway through this game.

- There were a few very low key simple story maps in a row that were long on story and intrigue and little on actual battle. But they made up for it. In particular, the final pre-skip battle looks, feels, and plays like an endgame chapter in any other game.

- EVERYONE has something relevant to say each chapter.

-Storywise, while I was playing as blind as possible, I could guess at most of the story twists and turns. However, there was a BIG reveal at the end of the part that I did NOT see coming, and I’m very glad that I did not spoil myself. Believe it or not, I enjoyed just walking around my room shouting WTF? at no one in particular for twenty minutes.

Edited by Moonlit Knight

Considering the giant mess which was - in my opinion - Fates, I didn't really have any high hopes for Three Houses when it was first announced. That aside, I got my copy yesterday and I have been really pleased so far!

I find the game as a huge breath of fresh air, mainly in terms of gameplay style such as being able to roam around the monastery and such. Too bad you can't pet the cats. Regarding battles, as someone who plays on Normal Casual mode, I find them a little difficult or maybe I'm not using my brain enough. I also enjoy the battle animations and how smooth they are. I miss being able to pair up units though. 

I really enjoy how the game is fully voice acted, though admittedly the voices took a while to get used to. I don't really play Japanese RPGs anymore and I found the voice acting to be a tad cheesy at times, but I've warmed up to it. 

Divine Pulse is absolutely a blessing despite it being limited. I tend to make a little oopsie here and there, but being able to use the power of Divine Pulse has been truly useful.

In the monastery I really enjoy the little activities you can do such as the advisor one and fishing, and I absolutely adore tea time!

As for the cast, I really didn't care for much of the students at first, but now I have several students who I seem to like. 

I'm really pleased with this game. 

Well every new mechanics are adding a lot to this game. Really, almost nothing has disappointed me in Three Houses. The only thing I find a bit sad, is that there is no enemy talk recruitment it seems? At least not in the Black Eagle path ; so it was a bit strange for me sometimes. 

I wish the new game would let you keep levels, weapons & co and upgrade every enemies to stronger one when you start again..But guess it was too much work. I find it strange that we can be beyond level 40 yet there is no post game or it isn't carried in new game +. Maybe by update one day? :/ New Game + is new for this serie, yet I was expecting more from it. Everything needs to be bought too ; so I have the feeling my progress is altered, as I would love a perfect playthrough. Guess I won't do it!

Battalions where one of the few elements I've loved, as well as the mechanics from Shadows of Valentia that has been upgraded. Like Magic, Capacity..It is so much better! :) 

The difficulty is very good too. I had 50 turns in the last chapter of Black Eagle, after one failed try. But I think I'll wait a little bit for the next house right now ; I've finished the first house too quickly playing non stop :p

To finish, I've loved the decision when can make. Be it important or not, it add so much immersions.

Spoiler

I wish we had more decisions like killing or saving Claude/Lysithea ; but at least there is some like this! It surprised me, as it wasn't there before. I wonder how the serie will evolve from now, as it is the best way to do it!

And I won't say no more ; as everything is good I don't need to say in separately ^^

One other thing to say.

I was skeptical about how Byleth would be handled.  What I had a problem with is that hearing they were not voiced (or mostly not voiced) made me think that meant they had no actual dialogue - and thus, no actual interaction with other characters beyond probably gesturing.

But I see now that despite not having voiced dialogue or really being all that customizable in terms of appearance or specializations, Byleth is probably one of the best handled avatars in the series purely because of the ability to actually make different dialogue choices.

That gives Byleth enough that you can feel like it's your character, but not too much to where they're just their own preset character instead of a sort of vessel to express the player's thoughts.  Sometimes the choices are meaningless or the choices sort of seem the same, but at other times - primarily in supports - it feels like you can choose the course of the discussion.  In fact, the most liberated dialogue choices are in supports, as it doesn't seem like you're "forced" to choose a "right answer".

It isn't the kind of freedom of speech you have in a game like, say, the older Fallout games (1-3 and NV), but for what FE is it feels just right.  Again, despite the lack of appearance or attribute customization, Byleth feels like the closest to a self-insert an avatar has ever felt in the series.

What do I like? Quite a lot

Claude: I might be trash for not making Claude decide my house solely by his magnetic pull but I'm still having a blast everytime he opens his mouth. He's great

An involved cast: Like in Echoes the main cast is much more involved. They don't just stick to support but actively comment on the story. That's great

Messenger owls: There are fat Feh's flying around. 

Decreased amount of joke characters: There are some joke characters like Alois and Rapheal. They are very clearly exceptions though and that makes them more likable. Alois isn't just one wacky nutter among many but a rare member of the monastery who has a sense of (bad) humor. 

The world building: The world building is....not as good as I hoped. Not yet. We spend a lot of time inside the monastery and not quite enough outside of it. But the information is all there. We got info on the countries, the definitive moments of these countries, the royal houses within these countries and outside nations hostile to Fodlan. I'm sure that we will see more of the continent after the timeskip. 

The magic system: It takes some cues from Echoes with some magic having more range than others. It makes it more varied then in past games. 

Slices of like: Like in persona the life management sim is more engrossing then I expected. 

Jerald: He's more involved then most Fe dads and he got a lovely voice and a gruff sense of humor. 

I really like Edelgard. It's refreshing to see a main character say things I agree with, rather than being good for good's sake.

Very happy about dual audio.

I liked, in the first real battle, that the characters spoke after they got their first kill. Details like this add a lot of personality to the cast.

I think magic is at its most interesting in 3H.

I like that there are + weapon ranks, and I like that support chains can be longer than 4 conversations.

I really enjoy the Lost Items puzzles. It's fun to try and piece together who the item may belong to from the clues.

I think I should stop editing this post, so I'll say that I like most everything about this game to some degree so far.

Edited by De Geso

I'm only three chapters in but at the moment the highest praise I can give the game is that it plays like more than the sum of its parts. There is no one standout feature that I can unconditionally call great, and indeed I have plenty of issues with the game ranging from UI, graphics, obfuscation of mechanics, and fiddly monastery stuff. But despite all that, it's a very good game overall.

Dat. Sound. Design. The music is FIRE while also setting the tone perfectly, the sound effects are on point, and the full voice acting adds so much more character to the units.

From what I've seen so far, the plot is one of the better ones in the series (granted, it doesn't have all that much competition but...). Also, I'm glad to see they aren't shying away from dark themes such as eugenics, child abuse, classism and human experimentation. That said, I haven't got to the timeskip yet, so the game does still have a chance to drop the ball.

Also, thank goodness they didn't sell the three houses separately. I switched houses from Golden Deer to Black Eagles after finding out that the Back Eagle castle design in FEH is pretty and Edelgard ended up being my MVP in the tutorial.