Things You Really Like About This Game so Far

I really loved Fates Conquest but theres denying that that the story telling was sub-par and childish. Its nice to see that Three Houses has addressed all the complaints people had about the Fates games. All the factions have their route in the base game, no more having to buy multiple copies of the same game. The story is a lot more complicated and far more grey. You can logically justify siding with any of the routes which is very nice. Plus the different routes provide great replay value by letting you see the story from a different angle. Children are gone, (I'm sure many are happy) and yet waifu emblem remains. Hurray!

The only problem is the low growth rates. Sigh.

Edited by wissenschaft

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first impression of this game is that the developers actually listened to their fanbase. Took to heart everything they said they didn't like about Fateswakening (i.e. the goofy, tropy character designs. The cringy dialogue. the lack of worldbuilding and storytelling) 

And they went as far as they could in the opposite direction to make sure they made a game that delivered where the previous installments fell down.

Gotta respect that.  

32 minutes ago, wissenschaft said:

I really loved Fates Conquest but theres denying that that the story telling was sub-par and childish. Its nice to see that Three Houses has addressed all the complaints people had about the Fates games. All the factions have their route in the base game, no more having to buy multiple copies of the same game. The story is a lot more complicated and far more grey. You can logically justify siding with any of the routes which is very nice. Plus the different routes provide great replay value by letting you see the story from a different angle. Children are gone, (I'm sure many are happy) and yet waifu emblem remains. Hurray!

The only problem is the low growth rates. Sigh.

That's not really saying much when the first 13 chapters (which is more than half the game, regardless of the route you take) have the exact same maps

1 minute ago, UNLEASH IT said:

That's not really saying much when the first 13 chapters (which is more than half the game, regardless of the route you take) have the exact same maps

Yeah, its not perfect but it has a decent amount of replay because your students will be different.

I have to say that one thing about this game that amazes me is the dialogue. Forgetting just the sheer amount of it, where even the unnamed NPCs have changing and voiced dialogue, the writing in this game is great compared to previous FE games. Also, the little things really stand out, like how some characters have unique conversations depending on who they're paired up with during group tasks. I'm just really happy with how this gameplay experience has been so far. 

I really love the dialogue, characterization. After the mess that was Fates, I'm actually SHOCKED by how well they wrote the dialogue and these characters. Sure they have mild tropes, but they have so much depth that's revealed throughout the conversations they have. Plus the ambient dialogue is really good when you're exploring.

I also LOVE the class system and how easy it is to completely customize your characters/the ability to wield almost any weapon. My only complaint is wishing they allowed magic (even if limited) in all the classes!

I won't go too much into details in case some people haven't reached that part in the pre-timeskip yet, but I liked the fact that Byleth tried to use the divine pulse during a cinematic. We all know video games in which tragic events happens at some point in the story, and the characters could use their special items/abilities to save someone, go back through time etc. and fix the whole situation but they don't, while it's unlimited when the player is in control.  (eg: Phoenix downs in the Final Fantasy series...). Well, the result was what it was, but at least we can't complain and say "He has that power, so why didn't he try to use it?"

I really enjoyed the support systems in the 3Ds titles as well as the, er, eugenics system, and I spent a long time making sure I got my units the right stats, skills, etc. I like not having that pressure, and even without trying too hard most of my units have their supports all filled 3/4 through the game. And of course, these supports are generally a bit more interesting and fulfilling as well. 

I was worried I'd get burnt out by some of the darker elements, but they do make the game more memorable. A game that makes me feel sad probably means it's doing something well, right?

I like everything else. I suspect I'll be playing this game even after I've seen all the supports and gone through all the routes. 

Currently past the 7th Chapter of the Golden Deer route, and I have to say that this story and the characters within it are certainly very interesting.

Gameplay wise, it feels so much different from all the other Fire Emblems I've played, and yet it's familiar enough that I'm not completely lost on it.

On 7/28/2019 at 7:39 PM, Mikethemaster2018 said:

I mean they are ztill kids before the timeskip so children soilders still a thing

Yes, but they are prepared for war. They're the main cast. It still staggers the imagination how Awakening just couldn't have a proper Gen 2 than forcing in children.

3 hours ago, Seazas said:

Yes, but they are prepared for war. They're the main cast. It still staggers the imagination how Awakening just couldn't have a proper Gen 2 than forcing in children.

it an fantasy game man logic doesnt really matter when you have time dragons and magical weapons, if fire emblem wanted to go real just have humans fighting over stupid shit. Awakening whole main plot was stopping the bad future from happening a time skip with a 2nd gen would defeat the premise. they went back in time to stop it

17 minutes ago, Mikethemaster2018 said:

it an fantasy game man logic doesnt really matter when you have time dragons and magical weapons, if fire emblem wanted to go real just have humans fighting over stupid shit. Awakening whole main plot was stopping the bad future from happening a time skip with a 2nd gen would defeat the premise. they went back in time to stop it

Fantasy games' logic does matter, though. There are godlike dragons and magical weapons, yes, but those are all established world elements. Of course, they don't logically work in the real world, but since they follow the laws of their universe and are explained, they're logical. Time travel is logical, to a point, but it fits better thematically with Fire Emblem to have a second generation following the first during their own time, rather than going back to the past to prevent a bad future. Thanks to the time travel, the kids lose screentime that they sorely needed, and lose basically all their pre-travel characterization they could have obtained. Even having some bad future chapters would have prevented that.

Thus why Three Houses showing us how the kids are before and after the timeskip, and how war strips away people's innocence (the second Kostas battle comes to mind right away) is a nice breath of fresh air. 

2 hours ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

Fantasy games' logic does matter, though. There are godlike dragons and magical weapons, yes, but those are all established world elements. Of course, they don't logically work in the real world, but since they follow the laws of their universe and are explained, they're logical. Time travel is logical, to a point, but it fits better thematically with Fire Emblem to have a second generation following the first during their own time, rather than going back to the past to prevent a bad future. Thanks to the time travel, the kids lose screentime that they sorely needed, and lose basically all their pre-travel characterization they could have obtained. Even having some bad future chapters would have prevented that.

Thus why Three Houses showing us how the kids are before and after the timeskip, and how war strips away people's innocence (the second Kostas battle comes to mind right away) is a nice breath of fresh air. 

True but it not like that Awakening it takes the whole fantasy premise and runs with it, other games in that in  series FE 8 more fantasy than real, and other games are more ground in the real like fe 4 and 5.Three Houses is a balanced game that please old and casual fans of fire emblem. People who like the dating sim elements have it in the school part, and fans who the enjoy the  whole war aspect of it can enjoy part 2. me personally I just look for escapism and fun in a game. That what games are for, they arent there to tell a history lesson.

Edited by Mikethemaster2018

One thing that really surprised me about this game is how much incentive they actually give you to use Dismounting depending on the situation.

I imagine many of us figured it would be situational at best and probably not used often, yet there's surprisingly a lot of things that will slow down horses in this game.