FE3 Translation Patch "Bugfix" Update [Current Version: 0.22]

Robert Stewart

If you find a typo or bug in the currently translated text, please report it on the translation Github. Please do not ask for features or additional translation work.

•  What's this?
    • This is an update to Quirino's Updated Mystery of the Emblem Fan Translation patch.
      This release is mainly focused on fixing/polishing many of the technical issues with the original patch. For more details see the Changelog section.
  • Credits
    1. Original Translation:
      • RPGuy96 - Rom hacking
      • VincentASM - Translations
    2. Updated Translation:
      • Quirino
    3. Current Project:
      • Robert of Normandy
    4. Special Thanks to:
      • Neill Corlett - For the translated title screen.
  • Changelog:
Spoiler

0.22(Current):
        -Fixed the text used when vendors/secret shops sell items to the convoy.
0.21:
         - Fixed a mistaken song code that caused Gazzack's boss quote to break sound if animations were off.
0.20:
        - Fix a mistake in Bantus B1 join dialogue.
        - Correct some naming inconsistencies.
0.19:
        - Fixed the hidden treasure popup location for 1.1 ROMs.
0.18:
        - On the item list in the preparations, the item slot number no longer overflows the boundary box.
0.17:
        - Fixed the dialogue at the end of Chapter 2-3.
        - Corrected the description of the Boots to show the correct stat gain.
0.16:
        - Fixed line overflow in Lefcandith Gauntlet death ending.
        - Fixed line overflows in Chapter 1-16 opening.
        - Fixed line overflows in Chapter 2-3 opening.
        - Fixed a line overflow in the dialogue for the devil axe village in Chapter 1-3.
        - Fixed Bantu's recruitment dialogue in Book 1.
        - Fixed a line overflow in Gotoh's dialogue in Chapter 1-12.
        - Fixed a line overflow in Gotoh's dialogue for failing to gather all of the stars shards in Chapter 2-14
        - Fixed a line overflow in Michalis's dialogue in Chapter F-1.
        - Fixed Rickard's death quote not displaying fully.
        - Fixed missing terrain bonus data for Arena tiles.
        - Fixed save data not displaying properly after copying or erasing files.
        - Fixed issue on unit select where the last character in long names was always highlighted.
        - Fixed issue on in-chapter unit screen where the last character in long names would stay visible which switching pages.
        - Fixed issue on in-chapter unit screen where the last character in long names would always be highlighted.
        - Fixed the right bar of the in-chapter menu not disappearing if it was opened on the right side of the screen.
        - Fixed cursor in "Binding Shield emits a mysterious light!" not aligning with text box.
        - Fixed trailing A in "BindShld Restored" message, and fit the text inside the display box.
        - Fixed "Book 2 War of Heroes:" in Book 1 epilogue not being terminated properly.
        - Fixed highlighting on in-chapter supply Take/Store/Discard interface.
        - Adjusted Unit Select menu so that the cursor doesn't cover part of the "Start" text.
        - Messages for map/disabled animations are now in English.
        - Made class names in battle screen and class roll consistent with stat screen names.
        - All chapter titles are now fully visible on the world map.
        - Chapter titles on the Status Screen and ending turn counts now match titles on world map/save files.
        - Overhauled the v1.1 patch to not overwrite the underlying differences between v1.1 and v1.0.

• Instructions:
    • The ZIP file includes a transition path from v0.14 of the Quirino patch. No 1.1 transition patch was included because the Quirino 1.1 patch converts the ROM to 1.0.
      • This patch also assumes a headered ROM, since that was the format Quirino's patch used.
    • The from_jp folder includes .ips patches for Japanese headered and unheadered ROMs of both v1.0 and v1.1 of Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo.
      • To see which version of FE3 you have, open the ROM in SNES9x and check the Revision under File -> Show Rom Info.
      • To see if your ROM is headered, check the file size. A unheadered, untranslated rom should be 3 MB exactly, or 3,145,728 bytes. A headered ROM has 512 extra bytes(3,146,240 bytes for the total filesize). There is no difference in size between 1.1 and 1.0.
    • Apply the patch to an untranslated FE3 ROM. You can use a patcher like Lunar IPS or Flips, or put the patch file in the
      same directory as your ROM and give it the same name as your ROM. Most modern SNES emulators should support softpatching.
    • I only had a chance to do spot testing, so it's likely there are some issues I missed. Please report any bugs/other technical issues you find.
      Reporting issues specific to the 1.1 patch would be especially appreciated.
    • Please do not request any name changes or other script changes. These are out of scope for this project at the moment.
      The only exception is for cases of inconsistencies in different parts of the game.

Sample Screenshots:

bantu.png.7754287456e2637e2706202baf58c5d8.pngbattle.png.dcf9ef4cbcada44aadf6acd4babc7a08.pngselect.png.a1f94d67e31672a1abf30f3dcc774265.pngsupply.png.1031fcb3b4a3c654d2ba3f9f688e10f9.png

Download on Github

You can also get it on RHDN, but it may not be the latest because of the submission process.

Edited by Robert Stewart
Update to match info on RHDN

Hey this looks really nice, could you provide some screenshots though? Otherwise this looks good and one day I may get around to playing it.

does it fix Marth's name coming out as "Mar" in certain screens? Or maybe that was only in a very old patch IDK.

Anyway, I'm really glad this is being worked on: FE3 is easily my favorite version of the Marth games, and I think it's kind of underrated.

Edited by Galap

25 minutes ago, Galap said:

does it fix Marth's name coming out as "Mar" in certain screens? Or maybe that was only in a very old patch IDK.

That was fixed previously in Quirino's patch.

2 hours ago, ZeroSigma said:

Just for reference, what size should a headered and unheadered v1.1 ROM be?

A unheadered, untranslated rom should be 3 MB exactly, or 3,145,728 bytes. A headered ROM has 512 extra bytes(3,146,240 bytes for the total filesize). There is no difference in size between 1.1 and 1.0.

Translated ROMs, on the other hand, are 4 MB in size.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Gaggle of Geese said:

Any chance of a version with the official, American names? That version came out later, and those names are used in all other Fire Emblem media.

It's not an important enough thing for me to change for this patch, so no. This patch was mostly about technical polish and internal consistency.

3 hours ago, Robert of Normandy said:

It's not an important enough thing for me to change for this patch, so no. This patch was mostly about technical polish and internal consistency.

Okay, that's cool. I should have realized that falls outside the scope of the project, like the post says. I'm just glad to have any kind of upgrade for that patch.

Small update: since the patch was approved on RHDN, I've changed the download link to the RHDN page for the translation, as well as changing some instructions and adding screenshots to match the RHDN information.

The RHDN also includes a patch to transition from a ROM with Quirino's patch applied, if that's more convenient for some people.

• 2 weeks later...

So it turns out I derped and didn't include all the text at the end of Book 2, Chapter 3! I also completely forgot that the old patch had the wrong value for the boots in their description.

I'll submit the update to RHDN, but in the meantime you can grab it here. (FYI, once the update is live on RHDN, I won't promise to keep this link working or up to date)

• 4 months later...

I actually have an update! I somehow didn't notice before that the item slot number sometimes overflows the boundary box on the item list  in the preparation screen.

Turned out to be an easy fix, so the update is available on RHDN.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this is just for me, but I tried putting this onto the rom I had on my computer, and whenever the combat screens open, the game freezes. I tested this on B1C20 and the second the screen changes for Medeus transforming, the screen goes black and the game freezes. I decided to try this on my main save where I beat the game and everything was fine until I went to start some combat,t he game froze again. I'm using SNES9X Version 1.60 and the rom I'm using V1.1 headered. 

1 hour ago, Vaikanfu said:

I don't know if this is just for me, but I tried putting this onto the rom I had on my computer, and whenever the combat screens open, the game freezes. I tested this on B1C20 and the second the screen changes for Medeus transforming, the screen goes black and the game freezes. I decided to try this on my main save where I beat the game and everything was fine until I went to start some combat,t he game froze again. I'm using SNES9X Version 1.60 and the rom I'm using V1.1 headered. 

Can you screenshot the "Show Rom info" screen in SNES9X for the ROM without the patch applied?

Edit: On windows, it's on the menu  under File -> Rom Information.

Edited by Robert Stewart

1 hour ago, Robert Stewart said:

Can you screenshot the "Show Rom info" screen in SNES9X for the ROM without the patch applied?

Edit: On windows, it's on the menu  under File -> Rom Information.

Well, I somehow got it to work, but I'm going to try and I've been trying to replicate it to no avail, it seems to be working. Maybe I used the wrong patch? Seems fine now, sorry for the false alarm. Basically what would happen is on the map, things would be fine but once combat of any kind starts, the game freezes.

• 1 month later...

I encountered an issue when I put a unit in a tile where you can find hidden items, the game freezes but the music keeps playing. In chapter 3 of Book II, I had to skip the Iote's Shield since the game froze every time I waited there. I'm now in chapter 11 and I can't pick any hidden item because of the same thing.

Did I do something wrong? I'm using SNES 9X 1.54.1 and the game is being softpatched.

Apart from that, this got me into playing Mystery of the Emblem again, thank you so much!

6 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

I encountered an issue when I put a unit in a tile where you can find hidden items, the game freezes but the music keeps playing. In chapter 3 of Book II, I had to skip the Iote's Shield since the game froze every time I waited there. I'm now in chapter 11 and I can't pick any hidden item because of the same thing.

Did I do something wrong? I'm using SNES 9X 1.54.1 and the game is being softpatched.

Apart from that, this got me into playing Mystery of the Emblem again, thank you so much!

Were you using a headers or unheadered ROM, and revision 1.0 or 1.1?

We're you using any unit in particular, or does the issue occur with any unit?

10 hours ago, Robert Stewart said:

Were you using a headers or unheadered ROM, and revision 1.0 or 1.1?

We're you using any unit in particular, or does the issue occur with any unit?

image.png.5c6700b416515f3bf07066ab53e078c0.png

This is what SNES9X says, it's the 1.1 revision and has a header, apparently 😮

At first in Chapter 3, the game froze when I put Mallecia near the castle, then I found out that the Iote's Shield can be found there, so I tried with Julian and it also froze every time I tried.

Well, it looks like I derped and used an incorrect address in 1.1 ROMs for something related to hidden treasure.

The version with the fix is available on RHDN.

• 1 month later...

I know you're not changing names, but you fix name inconsistencies right? I found 2:

In Book 1 Ch 9, the boss Khozen calls Medeus "Mediuth" in his death quote.

In Book 1 Ch 13, Xane calls Marth "Aritia's prince" in his recruitment convo instead of Altea.

Medeus and Altea are said everywhere else except for these instances.

Screenshot (21).png

Screenshot (22).png

12 hours ago, BlueFalcon29 said:

I know you're not changing names, but you fix name inconsistencies right? I found 2:

In Book 1 Ch 9, the boss Khozen calls Medeus "Mediuth" in his death quote.

In Book 1 Ch 13, Xane calls Marth "Aritia's prince" in his recruitment convo instead of Altea.

Medeus and Altea are said everywhere else except for these instances.

Screenshot (21).png

Screenshot (22).png

Thanks for reporting these, I'll try to get an update out within about a week or so.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/27/2020 at 7:38 PM, Robert Stewart said:

Thanks for reporting these, I'll try to get an update out within about a week or so.

Oops, it's been a lot more than a week. Sorry, I just kinda forgot to put out an update.

Anyway, a version with the above inconsistencies fixed is now live on RHDN.

15 minutes ago, Robert Stewart said:

Oops, it's been a lot more than a week. Sorry, I just kinda forgot to put out an update.

Anyway, a version with the above inconsistencies fixed is now live on RHDN.

Haha, it's ok. Thanks a lot!