Master Classes are Side-grades

Hey guys,

So I got far enough in the game to confirm what a lot of have been thinking all along, and that is that Master Classes are not strict upgrades (mostly).

Example: Marianne as a Bishop vs a Holy Knight : JhkCpMm.jpg

You can see she gains speed, Magic, and Res if she stays as a Bishop, while sacrificing those to get Canto. Same BST.

Its pretty clear from the class abilities that Bishop is a more specialized healer, so Holy Knight is not a strict upgrade.

Same here with Felix: shKYCNy.jpg

Its the same idea here, there are the same BSTs, but you gain a more balanced unit unlike the advanced class. In addition, Swordmasters get Astra once you master the class. It does not transfer to Mortal Savant (was a bit annoyed by that).

Same idea with Snipers. They get Hunters Volley, a 2 hit Combat art that does not transfer to Bow Knight. Assassin's combat art Assassinate does not transfer.

So it does seem like the characters who seemed to get shafted by the Master Classes are not really shafted at all (Petra, Dedue to name a few).

The advanced classes are just as good, if not better than the master classes. Paladins, Snipers, Assassins and Heroes and all the other classes that don't really have a Master class equivalent are still very valid.

The only strict upgrades seem to be Wyvern Lord, Falcoknight, Gremory, and War Master. Everything else is a side grade.

I think the Strength of Master Classes lies in flexibility and skills, rather than pure stats (which would be boring). Gremory is probably the best class for any dedicated mixed magic user, simply due to the number of casts you get. War Master's Strike is also huge.

It varies on a case by case basis, and it's not a huge gap, but I think Master Classes are slightly better overall.

2 minutes ago, Onestep said:

I think the Strength of Master Classes lies in flexibility and skills, rather than pure stats (which would be boring). Gremory is probably the best class for any dedicated mixed magic user, simply due to the number of casts you get. War Master's Strike is also huge.

It varies on a case by case basis, and it's not a huge gap, but I think Master Classes are slightly better overall.

Well yeah, the two you mentioned are the ones that are straight upgrades in stats and skills.

This is more about Paladins, Heroes, Swordmasters, Assassins and others that are not straight upgrades in stats

17 minutes ago, IzzyFresh said:

Well yeah, the two you mentioned are the ones that are straight upgrades in stats and skills.

This is more about Paladins, Heroes, Swordmasters, Assassins and others that are not straight upgrades in stats

Ah, I beg your pardon. I somehow missed that in your first post.

Hunter’s Volley and Astra don’t transfer over even after you master the class? I thought the whole point of mastery skills were that you could use them in any class once you earned them. There’s basically no reason to master any of the beginner or intermediate classes then is there?

By endgame master classes are definitely better. I mean Mortal Savant Felix can target both def and res(and his budding talent is +10 crit with black magic), has better movement and can attack from range. The game is very generous when it comes to stats, the loss of a couple of stats won't make any difference compared to being able to use efficiently a second weapon, have more movement etc. The only problem is if you really  can/want to invest in increasing secondary skills. It's always easier to just increase sword and leave it at that, than sword and reason.

Now the real question would be. Assuming you know what Master Class to put each unit from the beginning, would you have enough time to change into them? Which units would we worth the trouble to be given a Master Class?

53 minutes ago, Sproutling said:

Hunter’s Volley and Astra don’t transfer over even after you master the class? I thought the whole point of mastery skills were that you could use them in any class once you earned them. There’s basically no reason to master any of the beginner or intermediate classes then is there?

Most skills do transfer. Those 2 skills are likely exclusive to balance out the classes vs Mortal Savant/Bow Knight

1 minute ago, IzzyFresh said:

Yeah they do. Its mostly the learned combat arts that don't transfer.

I'm not surprised at this point they didn't try to balance the armored classes.

You should add Great Knight as another class that plain outclasses its non master equivalent.