Forums Reshuffling!

Integrity

Gosh, it's nearly been a month since an SF announcement.

This is a pretty minor one, but considering as some forums just got sent to the graveyard I figured it was worth telling y'all about. Fs in the chat for Multiplayer Online Games, Other Game Drafts, and Fire Emblem Debates.

The first had an active thread or two, with an irrelevantly out-of-date (your Honor,) League of Legends (death.) directory pinned - any relevant discussion can just hang out in Other Games EDIT: it's called General Gaming now lmao from here on out. If you're one of the guys who posted in the FF14 thread and want it reinstated rather than making a new one, DM me or Balcerzak and we'll sort it out.

The second had one thread that had been posted in in the calendar year of our Lord 2019, and it wasn't even a draft. In the unlikely event that other game drafts become a thing, and Discord isn't sufficient, we'll just redirect it to the Fire Emblem Drafts board, and maybe rename it to Drafting Tournaments if something gets huge. That's kind of a phase of the boards that's drifted away like a fart in the wind, though.

The third hadn't had but about three proper Debates that the forum was designed for since ... who knows when, and they all involved one guy. Sorry, 'side bee'. All of the rest of the forum content was just Fire Emblem General grade stuff, so if you were thinking to make a thread in the debates forum just make it there instead.

Welcome to your new, slightly less cluttered Serenes Forest experience. As always, direct praise and suggestions to me and complaints to Balcerzak.

Edited by Integrity

but I liked reading the history of FE through debates... heck iirc there was a funny moment someone was compared to Hitler but well I guess it was mostly useless 😛

This pretty effectively kills FE Debates under the proper debate "designation". No voting topic thread so that would have to be reestablished in general, no rules thread for newbies so that would have to be reestablished in general, and no challenges thread. 

1 hour ago, CannedCaineghis said:

This pretty effectively kills FE Debates under the proper debate "designation". No voting topic thread so that would have to be reestablished in general, no rules thread for newbies so that would have to be reestablished in general, and no challenges thread. 

As long as the moderators are willing to pin the threads it shouldn't be that hard to add a new version of the FE Debate Rules thread,  FE Debates Challenge Thread, and an FE Debates Voting thread.  @AnonymousSpeed @side bee @CannedCaineghis @-Cynthia-, or perhaps one of the old school debaters (like the old organizer @Mekkah) should probably make the new versions of these threads. I would do it myself, but it would feel a little weird as I have so far just been a lurker to the debate revival @side bee started. I did want to join in, but  just wanted to wait until after my screen shot LP ended before committing myself to another forum writing project, and by the time it did I was already packing for a camping trip, so hopefully we can get the debates back up and running.

Edited by Eltosian Kadath
wanted to reword a bit of it

There were like two Debates in the style the board was made for in the past year. Any new ones can just go in GenFE, like they used to. Child boards need to pull their weight to survive, the entire point of them is to prevent the parent board from being clogged. If the board is dead, it's not doing its job. So Debates aren't outlawed, no.

I could see a Debates General pin with the rules in the OP and challenges in the replies, if there's the appetite for it.

Edited by Parrhesia

I do understand that the activity level in Debates over the last year was quite low for the period of a whole year, but please consider that most of that activity was concentrated in the past couple of months. There was a definite uptick in activity, and while I won't say it absolutely needs to be kept in the long term, I think that this new interest in debates should be given a chance to take off before the forum is sent to the graveyard.

structured fire emblem debates, barring the three of yous that started posting in about late may, have been completely gone since two thousand and thirteen. i do respect that you were having your debates, but if you check the six pages of threads (comprising only 5 years, showing just how few people clicked in relatively) it was quite obviously being used as a Fire Emblem General 2 and we were mostly looking the other way, since posts were so sporadic.

i'm quite confident that a resurgence is not happening. as always, feel free to talk to your friends and clamor for the reinstatement of a debates board, this would be far from the first time i was wrong, but even if it did happen i would much rather restart it wholesale with updated guidelines that aren't ten years old.

• 3 weeks later...

heroes analysis is a funky one and actually came up when we were discussing The Purge on discord. on the one hand, it's pretty clear that it's been sparsely used pretty much since creation - on the other hand, heroes was the most posted-in forum right up until the feth hype started in earnest, and remains second for activity afterwards, so the userbase is there and the potential use is pretty clear. it's on the block for either chopping or retooling in the nearish future, to be sure.

While the forum is being reorganised, would it be possible to move the old FEE3 2016 subforum to the graveyard, assuming it still exists and is just hidden from public view? It disappeared a few years ago and I've always wondered where it went. 

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Integrity said:

it sure does, and i have apologized as of last year to both of the users who ever posted in it

cheers tho

I love your Avatar. I wish THQ didn't go under and we would have gotten Space Marine 2 and 3. If only SEGA would revive it we'd get more Lt Mira. 

thanks my wife drew it for me as a birthday present cause i love lt. mira so much

EDIT: if you wanna tell her directly or commission her sick art @Freohr Datia lives my man

Edited by Integrity