(SPOILERS) Lost a green unit in blind ironman. Did I lose anything?

Yep. I'll explain in a spoiler tab. In case it ruins anything for anyone.

Spoiler

Gilbert got it because I couldn't refill enough of his health between him deciding to bumrush Miklan and Mikla lashing out at him after turning into a monster. Gonna be a little pissed if I missed any worthwhile stat-booster because of it. Gonna mention I'm on the Blue Lions route on the off chance it's relevant.

Edited by The Roger The Paladin
got Miklan's name wrong due to lack of attention

• The Roger The Paladin changed the title to (SPOILERS) Lost a green unit in blind ironman. Did I lose anything?

Fairly certain he's still recruitable, because I was able to get supports with him, invite him over for dinner, etc. even after his "death" in chapter 5. In contrast, I am unable to do anything with Felix, who died in the same chapter and is also still hanging out in the academy. It'd be plain bad design to make him die for real in this chapter, I simply cannot imagine keeping him alive through all of Miklas's forms.

You'll have to ask someone else about rewards for keeping him alive in chapter 5. I cannot fathom how one's supposed to get them, if there are any. You'd think that, as a Fortress Knight, he'd be more sturdy, but alas...

Edited by Saint Rubenio

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Fairly certain he's still recruitable, because I was able to get supports with him, invite him over for dinner, etc. even after his "death" in chapter 5. In contrast, I am unable to do anything with Felix, who died in the same chapter and is also still hanging out in the academy. It'd be plain bad design to make him die for real in this chapter, I simply cannot imagine keeping him alive through all of Miklas's forms.

You'll have to ask someone else about rewards for keeping him alive in chapter 5. I cannot fathom how one's supposed to get them, if there are any. You'd think that, as a Fortress Knight, he'd be more sturdy, but alas...

The irony is, I could have saved him if I hadn't used Annette's gambits (she had the type that heal a unit) up earlier in the chapter. But yeah, I also imagine he's still recruitable later. Just bugs me thinking I might have lost a dracoshield when I have units who could have used it.

Oh didn't succeed to save him in my first playthrough neither. But he wasn't killed after ; all green units are only bonus and the only thing you can lost are items. Though I didn't now we could have a dracoshield if he survived.

19 minutes ago, Metakirby said:

Oh didn't succeed to save him in my first playthrough neither. But he wasn't killed after ; all green units are only bonus and the only thing you can lost are items. Though I didn't now we could have a dracoshield if he survived.

The dracoshield is a hypothetical item (as opposed to a verified reward). I don't know either, it's just a "does some reward for keeping him alive exist" question.

The bonuses for keeping allies alive are usually told atthe start of the battle, like in the fog chapter. IIRC the game doesn't say anything about it in chap 5.

The biggest reward you get from Gilbert is from leaving him behind to keep reinforcment busy, so you don't get caught up in the crossfire.

4 minutes ago, timon said:

The bonuses for keeping allies alive are usually told atthe start of the battle, like in the fog chapter. IIRC the game doesn't say anything about it in chap 5.

The biggest reward you get from Gilbert is from leaving him behind to keep reinforcment busy, so you don't get caught up in the crossfire.

Thank you. So, none of us missed anything.
Though ironically the big help he gave me was different. Let's just say he made that boss battle extremely easy and guaranteed no one died.

Spoiler

He dies from reinforcements and I saved him from that then he died when he was attacked by the beast so I saved him then he dies AGAIN to the beast when it attacked him at full health and on his turn he FREAKING attack it and died on the counterattack at this point I decided he deserved it and left him dead or well retreated but still.

1 hour ago, Metakirby said:

Oh I see. And he helped you? In my game, he died in the first turns when the reinforcments arrived ; as my team was already too far x)

Yep. Pretty much proved to be useful by lowering the boss's hp to 1 so I didn't have to deal with the crit rate at all.

Spoiler

Then his position in the monster phase meant I didn't have to lure it with any of my units. Mind it was at the cost of his "life". From there the battle was a joke.

55 minutes ago, iavasechui said:

Hide contents

He dies from reinforcements and I saved him from that then he died when he was attacked by the beast so I saved him then he dies AGAIN to the beast when it attacked him at full health and on his turn he FREAKING attack it and died on the counterattack at this point I decided he deserved it and left him dead or well retreated but still.

I swear, the main reason I didn't have Annette capable of healing when he needed it was because I used her to keep him alive earlier in the piece. If lemmings actually jumped off cliffs like in fiction, Gilbert's spirit animal would be one.

1 hour ago, dragonlordsd said:

I kept him alive the entire time and got nothing. The fog chapter, though, did give you rewards based on how many green dudes you kept alive, but importantly, it was only generic green dudes. Catherine didn't count.

Interesting. Thankfully... those two were easier to keep alive. Not by much given one of them decided to park themself on a square in range of the boss's javelin so they could take unnecessary damage.

If I ever find myself working with someone in green who has no self-preservation instincts in real life...

Yeah he died to a Miklan crit when I played, my one divine pulse use went to trying to save him, but it seems I would have had to rewind several trns to keep him from engaging the boss and getting one shot. Best to let him die. It's very annoying that the game gives you no control over green units. In a GBA game I could have rescued him to keep him out of trouble. In a Tellius game I could direct him to sit in a corner. In Three Houses I'm at the mercy of his AI.

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Watching @Mangs on YouTube did horrible things to me. Every time the NPC units moved, I heard his "I'M A GREEEN UNIT!" in my head. Every. Single. TIME.
Especially so when they did something dumb. Which was also every. Single. Time.

Radiant Dawn was the worst about it BY FAR - just look at 3-10. Mission critical NPC is a flying unit, and while she does allow her army to form up and protect her to a point, she has a tendency to move toward the boss area, which happens to have a lot of archers, including the boss, who uses a Silver Bow.

Edited by Shadow Mir

That chapter was the worst in my entire game. If you aggro the archers from over the wall, almost the whole map aggros as well. Guess who kept aggroing the archers????? Had to spend all my time micromanaging where he stepped.....

2 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

I wonder if it's even possible to keep him alive on hard mode. I thought I succeeded in doing so but then the real final boss of that map showed up and killed him in 1 round with like 73% hit rate on both attacks.

I actually kept him alive thanks to a miss from the beast, but I dont think it would have mattered much in the long run, as it seems you dont get anythugn for keeping him alive.

Edited by Deatheggx56
Spelling

3 hours ago, bufkus said:

wait does he actually permadie in that chapter if he dies, or does he just retreat? 

I'm guessing he's recruitable later on regardless of his survival. I'm just wondering how badly he'll fair as a playable character after that display.

On 7/30/2019 at 7:53 PM, Shadow Mir said:

Radiant Dawn was the worst about it BY FAR - just look at 3-10. Mission critical NPC is a flying unit, and while she does allow her army to form up and protect her to a point, she has a tendency to move toward the boss area, which happens to have a lot of archers, including the boss, who uses a Silver Bow.

Oh god, don't remind me...
I usually manage to clear the chapter before Elincia and her mentally challenged knight brigade can do anything stupid, but one some occasions, it's just atrocious. Whoever on the dev team thought "yeah, that's good game design" deserves to get a wet towel thrown in their face.
Making it possible to lose because of the A.I. being dumb as a rock is not what I would call good game design. The opposite, rather. *leers at every Warriors game*

Edited by DragonFlames

16 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

I'm guessing he's recruitable later on regardless of his survival. I'm just wondering how badly he'll fair as a playable character after that display.

He's a solid unit. Most of the knights are great replacements for roles/units that's didn't workout from your students. Imo they're better since they don't require any investment to get started and perform very well in their role. Catherine begs the question "why make my own swordmaster?" with her amazing stats and personal weapon. To Gilbert specifically, he'll do just fine.