How long until the 'honeymoon' phase of this game is over?

Three Houses is going to fall from our eyes. Time and distance will make us examine it with a more critical view. Right now, it's shiny and new, and its flaws seem scrubbed away, but we'll see them more clearly in the future.

The question is, how long will that take?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah it's starting to fall for me aswell ; but it's still one of the best game i've enjoyed. It was strange at first but was amazing when I was used to it. I felt it was boring then not at all ; the time needed to enter into the world! 

And for the flaws ; well there are like in every games ; but they've did a great jobs so it's secondary ; yet can't wait to see the next game and the future of the serie ; as it has clearly changed with 3 houses. (remake from genealogy? :D )

If this is your first Fire Emblem game (The Heroes sub forum was once littered with people who never played a Fire Emblem game), the honeymoon phase will probably not end, especially if the next game is a cheap followup that justifies their feelings. As for myself, I don't know if I'm in that sort of phase, since I could easily list far more issues than things that impress me. I'm only just coming up on the halfway point, but it seems very okay? Things that were good in previous fire emblems still work here, the management of activities and time seems very well thought out regarding the recruitment of students, and I can describe historic events that occurred before the game started without having to visit the library. I can't think of anything this game might do to cheapen my experience, except maybe some classic "true ending dlc". Otherwise I'm thinking mid tier at worst.

Edited by Glennstavos

14 minutes ago, blah the Prussian said:

probably whenever thane starts criticizing the writing

Somehow I doubt that he'll do so.  I mean, I don't know too much about him, but I know he isn't out to complain about every little thing in newer FE games.  He ragged on Fates and Shadows of Valentia because he had valid criticisms for those games - the only reason he became known for criticizing Fates was because he was one of the first to do so on account of him getting the Japanese version of the game, thus having much earlier access to it than everyone else on the site.  Then he became known for his complaints about SoV because everyone else on the site was gushing about it.

Just because he has criticisms for those games doesn't mean he'll have criticisms for this one.  He does love Awakening, after all.  If anyone would return to complain about the games, it'd be @Dragonage2ftw, as they've been ragging on the game on GameFAQs.

5 minutes ago, Mikethemaster2018 said:

Haven't seen Thane in a while when I used creep on the fourms he/she was around lot is thane still around.

He did post a question in the 3H questions thread not too long ago.

Also, it's rude to talk about someone who's not there. @Thane

On-topic, the honeymoon phase probably never even "began" for some people.  For those some people, the only good FE game that ever existed is whichever one they gush over the most, and every other game absolutely sucks by comparison.  People just come to the gates ready to hate something and compare all of its faults to the virtues of their favorite games - too quick to desire more of the same and not something unexpected or different.  I know because I've already seen people complaining on GameFAQs.

For me, unless the story does something really stupid like Fates did, the honeymoon phase will probably never end.  Even if it may have faults in some regards that I'll later see, I can see myself loving it just as much as I loved Genealogy of the Holy War and Awakening for years to come.

2 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Somehow I doubt that he'll do so.  I mean, I don't know too much about him, but I know he isn't out to complain about every little thing in newer FE games.  He ragged on Fates and Shadows of Valentia because he had valid criticisms for those games - the only reason he became known for criticizing Fates was because he was one of the first to do so on account of him getting the Japanese version of the game, thus having much earlier access to it than everyone else on the site.  Then he became known for his complaints about SoV because everyone else on the site was gushing about it.

Just because he has criticisms for those games doesn't mean he'll have criticisms for this one.  He does love Awakening, after all.  If anyone would return to complain about the games, it'd be @Dragonage2ftw, as they've been ragging on the game on GameFAQs.

Also, it's rude to talk about someone who's not there. @Thane

On-topic, the honeymoon phase probably never even "began" for some people.  For those some people, the only good FE game that ever existed is whichever one they gush over the most, and every other game absolutely sucks by comparison.  People just come to the gates ready to hate something and compare all of its faults to the virtues of their favorite games - too quick to desire more of the same and not something unexpected or different.  I know because I've already seen people complaining on GameFAQs.

For me, unless the story does something really stupid like Fates did, the honeymoon phase will probably never end.  Even if it may have faults in some regards that I'll later see, I can see myself loving it just as much as I loved Genealogy of the Holy War and Awakening for years to come.

was not talking about the person in a bad way or anything just saying they haven't been around the forums in a while that all

Probably whenever people start doing multiple playthroughs (which is what the game wants). That said, and maybe i'm optimistic about it, but i don't think the flaws of this game will be as big as the positives. Just seeing the online reactions on places like Twitter, this game feels like it might be the most fondly remembered out of Modern FE, maybe even the entire series.

There's definitely going to be people that will dislike this game, and that's fine, you know, as long as their reasons are valid and they aren't just doing that to stand out.

Edited by Armagon

I give it two weeks to get a dedicated hatebase. Seriously, though, I've already passed through my honeymoon phase. It's definitely a good game, but it's got some glaring balance issues. Like, uh. All of my favorite FE games do? Oh, and the pre-skip writing is a bit heavy-handed at times in regards to the church. But overall, I like it. 

I don't expect the honey moon phase to be over super quick, mostly because of how little we actually know about this game.

Especially considering there's already been data-mining, I'm amazed at how little can actually be found out about the mechanics on the internet.

Things that are still a mystery:

1. Exactly how recruiting works, even at a basic level.

2. What controls item spawns in the monastery.

3. A complete list of support availability.

4. Whether or not you can recruit people post timeskip and if you can, who you can recruit.

5. Whether or not there are any hard limits on recruiting in terms of time.

And those are just the big things. There are a ton of questions that have been raised about path differences that still haven't been resolved.

Heck, people are still putting questions marks next to whether or not it's possible to recruit Dedue or Hubert.

Edit: and while I'm on the subject, what the heck is up with the red faces? Seriously?

Edited by dragonlordsd

It's objectively a very good product, hype will fade, quality won't.

And I'm sure there'll be people hating it, but there are people hating on BOTW and RDR2, you can't please everyone, but this game comes pretty close judging by general public's reaction.

@dragonlordsd I don't think mechanical details affect the general experience tbh. Also we know some answers, there's no hard limit on recruiting, there are people who've got the whole (possible) cast in one run. If you're talking about lost items, those are actually scripted (depending on the month you find certain items in certain locations, also interesting to note, the lost item will always be about where the person who lost it was the month before). And I'm pretty sure supports have been leaked fully, they're just not in a clean wiki yet.

3 minutes ago, timon said:

It's objectively a very good product, hype will fade, quality won't.

And I'm sure there'll be people hating it, but there are people hating on BOTW and RDR2, you can't please everyone, but this game comes pretty close judging by general public's reaction.

@dragonlordsd I don't think mechanical details affect the general experience tbh. Also we know some answers, there's no hard limit on recruiting, there are people who've got the whole (possible) cast in one run. If you're talking about lost items, those are actually scripted (depending on the month you find certain items in certain locations, also interesting to note, the lost item will always be about where the person who lost it was the month before). And I'm pretty sure supports have been leaked fully, they're just not in a clean wiki yet.

Are you sure? It was only very recently that people were sure Hilda wasn't recruitable. And no, I wasn't talking about lost items, I was talking about all other items, especially the ones that give professor Exp.

But what I meant was, there's plenty for the community to keep digging into, which will keep the game fresh in people's minds. If there's some mystery to uncover, it usually makes the fan base pay attention longer, as they can spend time theorizing and testing, and get more out of the game than they would normally.

Also, serious question, how do you get the red face icon? What does it mean?

Edited by dragonlordsd

48 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I pretty much abandoned Serenes and the Fire Emblem subreddit once I realized the threat of spoilers became even bigger. I'll come back when I'm done with all three routes. 

Also, I'm sure we'll discuss this game's flaws more readily after a few weeks, but this game sure doesn't seem like it's a Fates; there won't be a big need to pick the nonsensical story and characters apart. There's also a distinct lack of over the top fan service, and there are many positive elements that fans have been asking for for years.

Edited by Thane

44 minutes ago, Mikethemaster2018 said:

was not talking about the person in a bad way or anything just saying they haven't been around the forums in a while that all

I'm just saying, if we're talking about the man at all, we may as well bring him into the discussion.  I know I get a little irked by people talking about me like I'm a phantom, even if it's not necessarily negative stuff.

2 minutes ago, Thane said:

I pretty much abandoned Serenes and the Fire Emblem subreddit once I realized the threat of spoilers became even bigger. I'll come back when I'm done with all three routes. 

Fair enough.  A lot of people with whom I'm sort of Discord buddies have abandoned ship for the same reason.

13 minutes ago, timon said:

I would like it if this game reached that kind of status.

I did love both of those games and think they're of high quality, whatever faults they may have.

What exactly are the negatives to this game? It seems to improve upon what the 3DS games built. Shaking up the combat system so it feel fresh. All we need now is Lunatic mode to be released and we shall see how much challenge this game can actually produce.

8 minutes ago, wissenschaft said:

What exactly are the negatives to this game? It seems to improve upon what the 3DS games built. Shaking up the combat system so it feel fresh. All we need now is Lunatic mode to be released and we shall see how much challenge this game can actually produce.

I am just at the beginning but the map design does not seems good at all. The Lonato chapter has the stupidest gimmick i ever saw in a fire emblem game. And i played Thracia. Not the frustrating, but very pointless. Also i am crying internally at having to do the same 12 maps at least 3 times, but likely 4. It's the reason i never played HHM. There are other things but are smaller and would feel nitpicky right now. 

3 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

I am just at the beginning but the map design does not seems good at all. The Lonato chapter has the stupidest gimmick i ever saw in a fire emblem game. And i played Thracia. Not the frustrating, but very pointless. Also i am crying internally at having to do the same 12 maps at least 3 times, but likely 4. It's the reason i never played HHM. There are other things but are smaller and would feel nitpicky right now. 

Er.... what gimmick does the Lonato chapter have? Isn't it just a fog of war you can remove?

4 minutes ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

Er.... what gimmick does the Lonato chapter have? Isn't it just a fog of war you can remove?

You can remove it whitout even attempting to do so and whitout any sign that it can be removed. What is even the point of having the fog in the first place if i am going to remove it by walking forward 2 turns?

I am a strange person that can forgive obtuse and frustrating gimmicks before irrelevance, because at least the former leave an impression and force me to adapt to it. 

Edited by Flere210

10 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Ah, good point. It does seem like Fates conquest will continue to have the best maps and difficulty in the series. We shall see how much they shake up the game with lunatic mode.

6 minutes ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

That's the only "gimmick" I remember.

Which, imo, is better than some of the BS in Fates: Revelation.

Then again, I think that even Gaiden/Echoes has better level design than that game, and Gaiden is the game that gave us this lovely gem:

aN6JfGg.png

No, I will never not bring up this map whenever a discussion about FE level design occurs.

I personally find very refreshing to see a “honeymoon” phase because I remember SE's habit to dislike whatever the latest entry was, then see the good points. Maybe that's just because people tend to talk more about what they don't like, but still... I like the fact that the hype train didn't just explode when the game launched. That being said, I think there are a lot of things the game to criticize. From the top of my head:

-The “recruitment” system is counter-intuitive (the game is not clear that, in order to recruit a specific character, supporting them is more effective); you can simply bribe anyone into joining, and some factors (lost items, some recruitment options) shouldn't be RNG

-Is kinda easy to break the game in hard mode (tough maybe lunatic will be different); and I think that makes the map desing suck

-While I think the characterization was much better (and the reason for the hype), I wish the first part (I didn't get to play the second yet)