Fire Emblem Three Houses Unit Tier Lists

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also a lot of the teacher units get top billing

you would need to make 4 separate tier lists as each path has different units that can be accessed... I would to make it fair do the lists without counting recruitable students (Aka your base set,the teachers you recruit and Flayn and Cyril

I think thus far my observations are:

- Other than Cyril, really no character is terrible. Everyone is pretty useable/has their niche

- There are a couple characters that are absolutely amazing. The house leaders and their assistants are all fantastic. I would add Petra and maybe Felix as truly outstanding units as well.

1 hour ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

Cyril is actually very good if you give him the time; he has aptitude which is good for anyone - and if you give him levels and tutor him he's good; just as anyone else is.

IIRC only around seven units beat him in Growth Rates after aptitude. His terrible bases can be compensated with a few class changes.

True to the villager archetype, he's a glass cannon.

Claude: Bow lord in a game where bows are good. Can fly eventually.
Lorenz: Well-rounded mage-fighter. Can ride. Even if he sucked, he'd be a top-tier steal. The paralogue reward is that good.
Raphael: He's strong and he's tough. He's also slow. ._. Pretty alright though despite that (thanks, gauntlets). Better as a Brigand than an Armor Knight.
Ignatz: Lives in the shadow of Claude as an archer, Lorenz as a mage-fighter. Can't ride or fly like them either. Accurate at least? And hey, still an archer.
Hilda: She says she shouldn't be on the front line. Her stats disagree. Made her an Armor Knight, though Brigand seems good too.
Lysithea: Glass cannon mage. In a game where things refuse to die that easily, this is great. Learns Warp. Top-tier steal.
Marianne: Kinda hurt by Nosferatu weighing a ton, stopping her offenses from being like Lysithea. Still good support though with Physic and Silence. Can ride.
Leonie: No crest, no problem; arguably better than Claude, getting more Def in exchange for less Res. Can ride. Top-tier steal.

Edited by Technoweirdo

Yeah, I'm wondering a bit about the teachers.

For reference, this was Shamir when I got her at level 11:

HP: 34

Strength: 20

Mag: 8

Dex: 22

Speed: 17

Luck: 17

Def: 13

Res: 8

Cha: 13

That was about the same as Edelgard, who was level 18, just with less defense and more Dex. Unless her growth rates are absolute garbage or she gets totally RNG screwed, she'll lap every other student I have.

Are teachers/knights just objectively better than all other units, or is there some penalty for them?

Since everyone learns different spells, the spell casting tiering is pretty easy. Dorothea, for example, learns both Meteor and Agnaea's arrow. She's the only one to learn both. Only Hanneman can learn Meteor, and only Ignatz and Rhea can learn agnaea's arrow.

Lystheia in particular is interesting. Although she learns Hades and Abraxas (one of only two to learn it), she doesn't get meteor, bolting, mire, thoron, death, or bohr... basically all the things that would keep her out of harms way. All her spells are limited to 2 range max.

Edited by dragonlordsd

10 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Yeah, I'm wondering a bit about the teachers.

For reference, this was Shamir when I got her at level 11:

HP: 34

Strength: 20

Mag: 8

Dex: 22

Speed: 17

Luck: 17

Def: 13

Res: 8

Cha: 13

That was about the same as Edelgard, who was level 18, just with less defense and more Dex. Unless her growth rates are absolute garbage or she gets totally RNG screwed, she'll lap every other student I have.

Are teachers/knights just objectively better than all other units, or is there some penalty for them?

Since everyone learns different spells, the spell casting tiering is pretty easy. Dorothea, for example, learns both Meteor and Agnaea's arrow. She's the only one to learn both. Only Hanneman can learn Meteor, and only Ignatz and Rhea can learn agnaea's arrow.

Lystheia in particular is interesting. Although she learns Hades and Abraxas (one of only two to learn it), she doesn't get meteor, bolting, mire, thoron, death, or bohr... basically all the things that would keep her out of harms way. All her spells are limited to 2 range max.

Lys learns warp at B and has a high mag growth and base (for a student). Already S tier.

Just now, Centh said:

Lys learns warp at B and has a high mag growth and base (for a student). Already S tier.

Sorry, just to clarify, she's still S tier, no question. Her spell list flattens everyone else, even before you add in stats and crests. 

I just found it interesting. I wonder if it's worth trying to work on her defense with stat boosts and stuff.

1 minute ago, dragonlordsd said:

Sorry, just to clarify, she's still S tier, no question. Her spell list flattens everyone else, even before you add in stats and crests. 

I just found it interesting. I wonder if it's worth trying to work on her defense with stat boosts and stuff.

If you play Lorentz’s paralogue (the first one unlocked on a Golden Deer Route) you get a magic staff that grants +2 range, so she doesn’t need range-y spells to become a tactical nuke early on. She can also easily one shot the Reaper Knight (even when you first meet him) with her Dark Spikes spell learned at level B reason. 

She's probably the best candidate for Thyrsus. And really, just give her a Seraph Robe or two, depending on how she grows HP. Her speed plus the natural defense of the Warlock class (12) means that nothing reasonable in the game will kill her if she has ~40 hp, even on hard. That is, if you want to make her a frontliner; she's top tier even without that investment, but it's like a dracoshield-for-Miledy situation; do you want to make an already good unit better or not?

21 minutes ago, Moonlit Knight said:

If you play Lorentz’s paralogue (the first one unlocked on a Golden Deer Route) you get a magic staff that grants +2 range, so she doesn’t need range-y spells to become a tactical nuke early on. She can also easily one shot the Reaper Knight (even when you first meet him) with her Dark Spikes spell learned at level B reason. 

I got him with her with Luna, I had just recruited her.

I'm also interested in Soulblade, because she's the only one who can do it (as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong)

Apparently it scales off her resistance? That said, with the sheer amount of spells she has, I don't know if it'd ever be super useful. Unless it adds the sword stats too? Something with that?

Edited by dragonlordsd

10 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

I got him with her with Luna, I had just recruited her.

I'm also interested in Soulblade, because she's the only one who can do it (as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong)

Apparently it scales off her resistance? That said, with the sheer amount of spells she has, I don't know if it'd ever be super useful. Unless it adds the sword stats too? Something with that?

I trained her budding talent only to never use it since she pretty much always did more damage with just her spells

32 minutes ago, Moonlit Knight said:

Does borrowing characters unlock their paralogue? That staff sounds amazing, but having Lorenz around for the whole playthrough is not a price I'm willing to pay lol

@dragonlordsd Marianne also gets Soulblade, which is even more amazing on her seen as she's got the best resistance of the game IIRC (and her crest can boost weapon power).

13 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Marianne also learns Soulblade at C+

Just now, timon said:

Marianne also gets Soulblade, which is even more amazing on her seen as she's got the best resistance of the game IIRC (and her crest can boost weapon power).

Excellent.

It's a cool skill, but it's just overkill on her. She's already so powerful, and even if she were to run out of spells normally, she also has access to gremory, which doubles her spell usage. Marianne, on the other hand, could really get some use out of it.

Still, she does have the Charon crest as well, so she can still get a crest boost on it, just like her magic. Idk, maybe a forged sword with ridiculous crit could be used... somewhere. Probably not.

It's also a shame that Edel, the only other character who gets Hades Omega, can't really use it at all.

It's also a shame that Edel, the only other character who gets Hades Omega, can't really use it at all.

Still super mad that Emperor doesn't get magic when it had it in Jugdral. She would be a fantastic mixed attacker. 

5 minutes ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

Still super mad that Emperor doesn't get magic when it had it in Jugdral. She would be a fantastic mixed attacker. 

Definitely. She's got 45 base magic growth, the fourth highest in the game. Good speed, good defense, and the highest strength growth. She's pretty monstrous.

Edit: also, checked the class stats, she gets additional magic growth in both of her unique class promotes. +5% from armored lord, +10% from emperor. She also gets seraphim in faith for super effective against monsters (another thing Lysithea gets as well, so chalk another point up for her).

Seriously, why can't she use magic? She's the only lord to get magic growth from a promoted class.

Edited by dragonlordsd

14 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Definitely. She's got 45 base magic growth, the fourth highest in the game. Good speed, good defense, and the highest strength growth. She's pretty monstrous.

Edit: also, checked the class stats, she gets additional magic growth in both of her unique class promotes. +5% from armored lord, +10% from emperor. She also gets seraphim in faith for super effective against monsters (another thing Lysithea gets as well, so chalk another point up for her).

Seriously, why can't she use magic? She's the only lord to get magic growth from a promoted class.

Bolt Axe

Keep in mind when talking about Lysithea's frailty that she also gets Nosferatu pretty early, so once she gets the Warlock defense boost to avoid OHKOs, she's actually reasonably durable against anything that doesn't outrange her.

Edited by Skarthe

4 hours ago, dragonlordsd said:

Just unlock fortress knight. Get free 17 defense. Put a stat booster on that and voila, defense fixed. 

Use nosferatu, - 3 weight skill, speed skill, pavise (already have fortress knight so why not) and faith proficiency and she can bait units and she can demolish groups with nosferatu. 

Edited by Bavalurst

2 minutes ago, Bavalurst said:

Just unlock fortress knight. Get free 17 defense. Put a stat booster on that and voila, defense fixed.

Fortress Knight is not a trivial unlock given that she is weak in both of its requirements.  Not sure this is a viable path, especially since it's only +5 Def over Warlock, which she'll unlock almost by accident.