Fire Emblem Three Houses Unit Tier Lists

8 hours ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

Annette has double Rally, though. 

Also, I'd argue the point of magic units never being top tier due to movement moot to Faith users with Physic or Fortify. And the fact that they're the only ones that make warpskipping possible at all. Lysithea at least I would argue for top tier thanks to an excellent magic growth making her Warp more effective and Warp coming a full level early, when it takes a considerable amount of time to get to A tier as opposed to her B. 

(You also missed Flayn in your ranking outright.)

Just want to make a little contribution to the topic. In my experience with Annette, you cant rally if you are 3-4 tiles behing everyone else. Doesnt really matter on short maps, cause she can just move first, rally, and then everyone moves, but on the postskip maps, that are, in the most part, bigger, she is not good at rally at all.

I do have to say, mounted magic users are really, really good, but they come too late and just one more thing, Huber is better than Annette just by having Dark Magic (stuff like minus defense, etc etc), more range on those spells and better (overall) speed.

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Skarthe said:

Keep in mind that Lysithea also has a budding talent in Swords, allowing her to use forged Levin Swords for 1-3 range. Also, assuming the player also has Lorenz and does his paralogue, all of Lysithea's magic becomes 1-4 range.

Thrysus is usable by anyone with a crest though, so using it on Lysithea is an opportunity cost because she is taking it away from another mage.

Granted, I do think that the difference between 4 and 5 range isn't huge. So really you ideally need one of your two mages to have 1-3 range, so that one can pick up Thrysus and the other one can go with the Caduceus Staff and both can have 4 range.

On 8/9/2019 at 9:48 AM, 0 Def Cleric said:

Yes, but considering the stats he's good in are those that GBA Knights tend to be good in, and the ones he's awful in tend to be the ones they're awful in, wouldn't you say that he's better compared to that title? I've said that he sucks already, just that he's not your typical fighter type of suck. 

The sad thing is, literally every single GBA knight has better speed growth than Raphael does. And aside from Wendy, who's at a level of godawful that surpasses mortal comprehension, they tend to not need heavy babying to get anywhere like Raphael does.

Edited by Shadow Mir

I still can't wrap my mind around how a mage with an effective 8 threat range can be useless in a game with Stride. You just position them well and us the gambit and they are likely going to have something to kill every turn whitout any effort. And it's not like you need more than one dedicated black magic user, so Thirsus should be assumed. Again unless we are discussing combos of warp and stride to off the commander in 1-2 turn, but to me this goes beyond efficiency and became LTC.

Also the only thing that can make gauntlets bad is the fact they can't be used on horseback. You are going to have faire-death blow-battalion bonuses on any character that seriously want to use them. This is likely 15+damage  whitout counting strenght or might. 

I found Edelgard enemy stats and the highest i found is 30 defense, wich an average Raphael's strenght would surpass even whitout factoring class mods and modifiers. Considering he has a fair shot at quadding, i'd say that if you can orko a prominent boss whit them, they are good.

1 hour ago, Flere210 said:

Also the only thing that can make gauntlets bad is the fact they can't be used on horseback. You are going to have faire-death blow-battalion bonuses on any character that seriously want to use them. This is likely 15+damage  whitout counting strenght or might. 

And that lol-worthy might making them piss-poor choices on enemy phase, while they're only decent at best early on.

I found Edelgard enemy stats and the highest i found is 30 defense, wich an average Raphael's strenght would surpass even whitout factoring class mods and modifiers. Considering he has a fair shot at quadding, i'd say that if you can orko a prominent boss whit them, they are good.

Ha ha ha hah! Raphael quadding? Don't make me laugh! And as far as I'm concerned, that's a lot of work with who has to be the worst of the Golden Deer, and possibly the worst unit in the game period, for a fleeting moment of "glory".

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

And that lol-worthy might making them piss-poor choices on enemy phase, while they're only decent at best early on.

Ha ha ha hah! Raphael quadding? Don't make me laugh! And as far as I'm concerned, that's a lot of work with who has to be the worst of the Golden Deer, and possibly the worst unit in the game period, for a fleeting moment of "glory".

Let's crunch then numbers

Edel has 20 speed, 39 strenght and no weight reducing skills. As her axe has 11 weight, this means 17 or 16 AS, not sure about the rounding.

War master has 16 base speed and push raphel speed to 16 at level 30. At 40 the average is 20 speed. Even if edel is at 17 there are a fuckton of ways to get 1 more point. 

And mind you i am assuming that Raphel has less than 16 speed at 30, considering that brawler has 14 base and 10% growth is very possible that he has more.

My point was that there are so many ways to increase damage that even 0 might gloves would orko most thing as long as they are used in the right build. Edel and Raphael are just an example picking an high defense boss and a gauntlet user. I kinda agree that he is bad, it's just that as long as the builds are optimized there is not a large gap between the best and the worst char. Or at least, the gap is the lowest in fe history.

Edel has 20 speed, 39 strenght and no weight reducing skills. As her axe has 11 weight, this means 17 or 16 AS, not sure about the rounding.

War master has 16 base speed and push raphel speed to 16 at level 30. At 40 the average is 20 speed. Even if edel is at 17 there are a fuckton of ways to get 1 more point. 

And mind you i am assuming that Raphel has less than 16 speed at 30, considering that brawler has 14 base and 10% growth is very possible that he has more.

My point was that there are so many ways to increase damage that even 0 might gloves would orko most thing as long as they are used in the right build. Edel and Raphael are just an example picking an high defense boss and a gauntlet user. I kinda agree that he is bad, it's just that as long as the builds are optimized there is not a large gap between the best and the worst char. Or at least, the gap is the lowest in fe history.

And you're blissfully ignoring the fact that Raphael compares unfavorably to Hilda, Byleth, or Leonie, all of whom don't have to put up with being double attacked by everyone and their grandma (which would really hurt if you're not a mega tank that can shrug off everything). Why in the seven hells am I going to knowingly invest in a unit who struggles early, and doesn't get much better??? Because if you're assuming Raphael is being used enough to get to War Master, which I don't think is all that, that's clearly happening.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Well, high defense on enemies really isn't what Raphael struggles with. He struggles with high speed enemies, of which there are a considerable number. Especially Wyvern Knights/Lords are a good deal more common in this game than any other that isn't FE6 or Genealogy chapter 9, and they fly. Directly into Raphael. And double him. 

15 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

And you're blissfully ignoring the fact that Raphael compares unfavorably to Hilda, Byleth, or Leonie, all of whom don't have to put up with being double attacked by everyone and their grandma (which would really hurt if you're not a mega tank that can shrug off everything). Why in the seven hells am I going to knowingly invest in a unit who struggles early, and doesn't get much better??? Because if you're assuming Raphael is being used enough to get to War Master, which I don't think is all that, that's clearly happening.

Because you will invest in all your house at once. War master is super easy to access and does not require more than just what he get by normal lessons, exp too is something he would get normally as long is used, and everything else is not really needed.

The only question i whatever he is worth compared to recruiting someone from another house, wich greatly depend on who do you recruit and when, and whatever you need a war master in the first place. Personally, i dislike recruiting because i don't like how the game build them. But i suppose Felix makes for a better gauntlet user that can be recruited early if you want one.

14 minutes ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

Well, high defense on enemies really isn't what Raphael struggles with. He struggles with high speed enemies, of which there are a considerable number. Especially Wyvern Knights/Lords are a good deal more common in this game than any other that isn't FE6 or Genealogy chapter 9, and they fly. Directly into Raphael. And double him. 

Raphael was just an example to highlight that gauntlet works. If they can kill the toughest enemy i can think off, then their might is not that relevant. Raphael being weak is a completely separate issue.

He struggles with high speed enemies, of which there are a considerable number.

Vantage + Wrath helps (War Master Raphael).

The only question i whatever he is worth compared to recruiting someone from another house, wich greatly depend on who do you recruit and when, and whatever you need a war master in the first place. Personally, i dislike recruiting because i don't like how the game build them. But i suppose Felix makes for a better gauntlet user that can be recruited early if you want one.

Felix is busted as a gauntlet user (atrocious fashion though).

Edited by matchalatte

Fun calcs:
Petra has a base Spd of 10 and a 60% Spd growth.
She's also good with Sword and Bows, letting her go Assassin for maximum Spd (+5, +20%)
Assuming class-changes at the earliest possible for Myrmidon (+5%) and Thief (+10%),
She would have on average 39.65 Spd by Lv. 35. 41.65 if you snagged +2 Spd from Myrmidon.

Now, meet this Lv. 35...thing:

Spoiler

2019080815445600-0DC6ECE91CF3F6F02BAFC002E3FFBAAD.thumb.jpg.df7f2dccd747738af8c4039848bfdd09.jpg

Also notice there's more than one.

Now imagine if she didn't go Assassin,
Or imagine someone with lower base Spd and lower growths (See: Everyone not named Petra).
Or just imagine she got Spd-screwed the tiniest bit.
Imagine all of the above.

This is a monstrosity I have fought on multiple occasions on maps that favor them and their hidden bonus of ignoring forest movement penalties.
This is a monstrosty that can murder my mages if they're mis-spaced.
This is a monstrosty that most physical fighters can barely handle 'cause it's packing Silver Swords, Swordfaire, and ludicrous Spd.
This...is Raphael's (and Dedue's) weird niche.

-

At 7 base Def and 45% growth, factoring War Master's measly +1 Def, Raphael would have 23.3 Def on average by Lv. 35.
Now give him a mere Silver Shield for +4 Def. 27.
Alliance Pavise Co., a B-rank Battalion, gives another 8 for 35.

That's 4x2 damage taken -- a damn sight better than what almost anyone else would take unassisted without armor, and Raphael's got a lot of HP to burn.
Being Dedue would help a bit more, as would Dedue's Battalion and Felix's shield.

Damage dealt? Well...
11 base Str, 50% growth, assuming Fighter (5%) -> Brigand (10%) -> Warrior (15%)-> War Master (+5, 15%),
He would have 36.5 Str. This is on top of War Master's innate Axefaire (+5), a Silver Axe+ that you should have because money rains (+17 Mt), and the Alliance Pavise Co. (+4).
That altogether is 62 Atk. Hm, so close...So close...
But if you got +2 Str from fighter unlike me, you're now sitting at 64. Ignatz as Adjutant? 67 Atk.
67 Atk against a swordie in a game where the weapon triangle doesn't exist.
67x2 if you stick with War Master long enough for Quick Riposte.

---

Does this make Raphael and Dedue top-tier? No. No, it does not.
You don't see these things for a long while and there's a lot you need to get through until then.
But I'd be lying if I said I didn't appreciate what they can do in some situations.
Also, you'd be surprised by what you can double during the Steel Age. Seriously.

There are plenty of ways to deal with assassins and other high speed enemies.

1. Fast females can double and ORKO them if they have Darting Blow. Given that Pegasus -> Wyvern Rider -> Wyvern Lord is a pretty typical path for female fliers, it isn't uncommon for you to have a flier that can swoop in and murder a high speed enemy.

2. Mages can generally one shot high speed enemies with a strong spell. This is made much easier by stacking +range (from 1-3 range spells, staves, and S rank magic), which allows you to engage from outside enemy threat range.

3. Most reasonable physical units can ORKO these fast enemies with a Brave weapon. Having a Brave weapon on hand for situations like this should be pretty standard for most of your fighters in the later portion of the game. Combat arts that hit twice can also serve the same purpose.

4. High strength units can sometimes one-shot these enemies if they use a strong weapon, especially if they use a combat art that boosts might.

If that viewing of Lunatic comes to fruition I expect a unit like Ralph and Dedude are going to be somewhat highly valued for early game punching bags. Lunatic FE:A I remember being Fredrick Emblem because he was pretty much the only unit to survive a beating until your other units came online. However, that is a prediction for another time. Even then Dedue is certainly not the worst character with a nice +def ability for just waiting.

Edited by Vorena

My raph performed excellently with gauntlets, and war master ramped up his potential to sweep with the combo of Fistfaire and +20 crit class skills. Which are functionally much better than their description due to striking twice. I definitely wish he had the speed to quad more opponents, particularly beasts, but just the high strength stat alone was critical to nuke opponents. Definitely should have made him a brigand instead of brawler earlier in the game as Death Blow would have completed his build, but I wasn't keen on looking up class skills at the time and was too focused on trying out the new weapon type.

Edited by Glennstavos

I would like to ask... Wyvern Rider/Lord it's the best not-Barbarossa class in the game right?

How do you think it's accesibility can affect the placement of characters? (For example someone like Petra would have an easier time going into that class compared with other characters).

4 hours ago, Troykv said:

I would like to ask... Wyvern Rider/Lord it's the best not-Barbarossa class in the game right?

How do you think it's accesibility can affect the placement of characters? (For example someone like Petra would have an easier time going into that class compared with other characters).

A weakness of Wyvern is that its not unlocked until lv20. You are pretty much 4-5 movement locked until that point. Cavalier or Pegasus Knight come earlier at lv10 and their natural routes towards Falcon Knight or Paladin -> Bow Knight is not a bad pick either. Any of these three routes are viable options as having the +2 range on Bow Knight is rather handy. 

I do not think the proficiency matters as much as what are a person's growth rates and time of recruitment. However, that sadly has not been discussed much. Receiving a unit from another house you want to go down a non-traditional path for them will be harder as the game will give you a potentially underleveled unit and one not trained in what you want from the start. Otherwise, the 9 students you get on any path have so much time to increase wexp well ahead of your level requirement. You can A rank a wlvl before you even hit level 20 and most lv20 only require B or C in stuff. 

As a paper napkin example I think on average a month becomes 3 instruction periods with the ability to maximize motivation guaranteed for 2 of the 3 instructions. That right there is ~90 wexp per month per stat if you focus on 2 things. The weakness does not lower the weekly wexp that much. Getting from E -> A rank is 1160 wexp. Therefore, if you just set someone to learn flying from the very first chapter they will get to A flying in 12-13 chapters. Well, ahead of the lv30 requirement for A ranking Wyvern Lord. Chapter 11 is a lv21 recommended level. This is not even including individual instruction for somebody you can easily get someone into any class you want.

The issue more comes from recruitment than anything. I would say some units who naturally build towards riding, flying, bow, and axe means you can set them off down other paths as well. Heavy Armor at C ranking is not a huge investment and you have all the time in the world to get it. Getting +3 AS back is great for any character. The faster you can get it the better.

Edited by Vorena

6 hours ago, Silly said:

There are plenty of ways to deal with assassins and other high speed enemies.

1. Fast females can double and ORKO them if they have Darting Blow. Given that Pegasus -> Wyvern Rider -> Wyvern Lord is a pretty typical path for female fliers, it isn't uncommon for you to have a flier that can swoop in and murder a high speed enemy.

2. Mages can generally one shot high speed enemies with a strong spell. This is made much easier by stacking +range (from 1-3 range spells, staves, and S rank magic), which allows you to engage from outside enemy threat range.

3. Most reasonable physical units can ORKO these fast enemies with a Brave weapon. Having a Brave weapon on hand for situations like this should be pretty standard for most of your fighters in the later portion of the game. Combat arts that hit twice can also serve the same purpose.

4. High strength units can sometimes one-shot these enemies if they use a strong weapon, especially if they use a combat art that boosts might.

Mhm, all valid methods for dealing with them.

I focused on #4 though as the conversation was steering towards the age-old meta of "double and kill everything on the enemy's phase while avoiding getting doubled and killed", and our 42-Spd friend defies that meta by being nigh-impossible to double on enemy phase while being pretty good at doubling and killing others. #4 would be the closest to maintaining that meta, lest it shift to a player-phase focus.

Hadn't even thought about Lunatic until Vorena mentioned it. lol But yeah, I'm expecting that to shake things up too.

I see so many people talking about Marianne as a healer, she's really a lot more than that. Her offensive spell list is extremely good and crit oriented, Fimbulvetr and Aura crit very consistently and do ridiculous damage, Blutgang and Beast Fang are also very strong offensive options, or if you decide to go for her lance budding talent you'll get a very strong lance art that scales with her amazing Res.

Marianne is built to be a dark/holy knight (both are just as good, depends which you prefer) because of her Riding strength and her budding talent in lances. Her healing spells are just cherry on top of the cake. Yeah she can be on the slow side but it's not that big of a deal when she one shots a lot of things easily, and her slow speed can be somewhat remedied by getting a Paladin certification (super easy with her Riding strength) which will kick her to 17 strength and boost her AS by 1 and even possibly 2. She was one of the best units in my GD playthrough. Lysithea has a lot more raw power, but the mobility that you get from Holy/Dark Knight and her reliable crits made Marianne just as useful for me. Lysithea can also get a horse but considering her spell list, and warp especially, Gremory is better for her.

18 hours ago, Flere210 said:

Because you will invest in all your house at once. War master is super easy to access and does not require more than just what he get by normal lessons, exp too is something he would get normally as long is used, and everything else is not really needed.

Raphael was just an example to highlight that gauntlet works. If they can kill the toughest enemy i can think off, then their might is not that relevant. Raphael being weak is a completely separate issue.

Sure, I'll be investing in my house mostly, but when you have someone who can't make any meaningful contributions that others cannot, that's when trouble begins. I'm early in the game, and I already am starting to run into situations where I'm not better off having Raphael deal with something than using one of three units that I've mentioned a lot already. What does this say about Raphael's chances of continuing to be useful throughout the run? Hint: They aren't good. And his axe and brawling specialties do nothing but make things worse - either he's at risk of whiffing and being doubled by anything with a half-decent amount of AS, OR he has to constantly be spoon-fed kills because gauntlets are laughably weak.

Which implies that being good with gauntlets is a valuable niche, which I strongly disagree with. Anyway, I'm into recruiting largely because I'm just about ready to give up on Raphael, among other reasons.

Look at the stuff you had to give him to make gauntlets "work", though. I'd be MUCH better off investing that much in anyone else.

Edited by Shadow Mir

54 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Look at the stuff you had to give him to make gauntlets "work", though. I'd be MUCH better off investing that much in anyone else.

All the investing is going into the classes that use gloves and mastering them lol. If i discuss an archer i would also assume archer-sniper-bow knight and that those classes would be mastered for example. 

And my "working" was orkoing an armor boss, regular enemies are much easier. The assassin posted above require 45 attack to get orkoed with gauntlets whitout doubling. Otherwise you need 67 attack or 46 AS. Brave weapon are better, but brave weapons are better than everything.

12 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

All the investing is going into the classes that use gloves and mastering them lol. If i discuss an archer i would also assume archer-sniper-bow knight and that those classes would be mastered for example. 

And my "working" was orkoing an armor boss, regular enemies are much easier. The assassin posted above require 45 attack to get orkoed with gauntlets whitout doubling. Otherwise you need 67 attack or 46 AS. Brave weapon are better, but brave weapons are better than everything.

Really? You're going to assume the player's going to go out of their way to max out every class they're putting their units through? While that works for Noble and Commoner, I think that advanced and master classes are going to require too much work; Sniper in particular gets you a combat art that got bashed with the nerf bat, and is only usable as a Sniper.

Yeah, let's go and ignore that Raphael is (1) slow as molasses, and (2) probably the worst unit in the game. Any scrub can be good what that amount of effort.

Edited by Shadow Mir

33 minutes ago, Flere210 said:

Well my point is that any units is good in this game as long as they got a build that makes sense whit their stats. Lunatic would likely change that, but we have not that yet. 

Which is a very, very, VERY generous way to look at things. I already have a hard time finding a niche for Raphael in the early going - do you earnestly think things are gonna get better for him if I stick with him???

Edited by Shadow Mir

Compared to any other bad units in fe history? A lot.

Like Cyril may be one of the worst units, but is far, far easier to use compared to Amelia or Donnel. This game has so many way of improving characters whitout investing anything of note that only RNG screwage or neglecting can make someone bad. And promo gains fix bad rng to an exstent.

Raphael has a trash personal, no crest and very mhe growths. I am not saying that he is amazing. I am saying that bad units are thing like Sophia that require you to go out of your way just to use, not someone that is just outclassed.

Edited by Flere210

I did a ranking of my students for pre-time skip, so I decided to do the same for post-time skip after having beat the game. Run is Hard/Classic and I'm focusing mostly on what they contributed during my playthrough in spite of any errors I made building them:

1. Lysithea: I'm still iffy on her being the best of the golden deer. Yes she nukes everybody but she also gets nuked in return by most enemies, and being 4 movement locked (5 with Gremory) is a pretty big issue since I repeatedly had to warp, rescue, and reposition her just to stay in range of the enemies. Even her ideal task - one shotting the black knight required somebody who could survive a round with him to drop his health or avoid rate. Still her performance was extremely consistent with the right babying, and that's really the most I could ask of units in a game with such diversified classes and strengths.
  2. Claude: An only decent unit being carried by his post time skip class. I dunno if my claude was speed screwed, but his class change gave him like six points of speed. Not having any additional bow range keeps him firmly out of Lysithea tier, but canto is still busted on an archer, and his personal regalia gives him a vital point of range. Plus there are so many well placed Ballistae that are easy for a flier to get to.
  3. Lorenz: Part of the reason he's so high is because I gave him Thrysius and the Dancer class, but as a Dark knight he really held his own. He could snipe any target the bow knights could and his surviveability was far greater than Lysithea without having to rely on the pavise/aegis procs of thrysius. His damage potential wasn't always top of the line, but high accuracy ranged magic spells were always appreciated for securing kills. And being on a horse helped with securing objectives
  4. Hilda's stats fell off a bit toward the end, but wyvern lords are obviously very good. She could definitely hand axe somebody than retreat safely out of attack range under many circumstances and by being a flier she's not stopped by stairs. But in order for her to continue one rounding things she had to rely on Crest weapons which kept her at the top.
  5. Raphael: I made a critical error making him a brawler instead of brigand at level 10, because death blow would have made him snowball far quicker. He had over 40  natural strength by the end of my playthrough, and the fistfaire/+20 crit he got from war master allowed him to one round everything short of armor knights, as well as quad and crit several opponents where it would matter for the kill. The big problems though are his weakness to mages and being locked to 1 range beyond hand axes. But his movement was excellent as he ignored terrain penalties so he never had issues getting to the enemy in the first place. Healing Focus is a really nice combat art too. I mostly deployed him for the novelty of punching giant beasts to death, but I never imagined he'd be this effective.
  6. Ignatz: I definitely screwed up by neglecting to increase his riding skill early for bow knight, but even as a sniper for most of the final chapters he was putting in serious work. The sniper-exclusive Hunters Volley makes all of your weapons brave weapons and his hit rate never dropped below 100 even at max shooting range. Only issue is that he was just way too frail to go off on his own.
  7. Byleth: For some reason he just sort of fell off by the end? His speed was still 24 on the final map. Not the slowest among my group, it's just surprising given his stellar base stats and well balanced growths. His magic spells were also underwhelming besides I guess Recover which makes up for his low Mag stat. 
  8. Marianne: More of an early game asset with silence and Physic, most of her progression was in earning better attacking moves which I didn't need from her. I'll admit I didn't play around with Frozen Lance as much as I should have since her ideal master class is probably Holy Knight anyway. Canto + healing makes up for the less uses of physic.
  9. Leonie: The cavalier > bow knight class line didn't give her much to work with. Having so much shooting range is great, but unlike Ignatz her accuracy very often fell as low as 40 against enemies who aren't in terrain. Her damage output, even with brave weapons was always tiny, and the lack of bow or lance regalia hurt her big time in this regard. Only the frailest enemies fell immediately to her brave lance. Canto was nice, but stairs and deserts often kept her from advancing at the front of the pack toward important targets.
  10. Flayn: Besides her fragility, there's not much wrong with Flayn, I just only used her for rescue and fortify. Often having to keep her far from the front line as enemy pegasus knights rolled in, all capable of one rounding her at full health.

And if I had to orgnanize this list into tiers. It'd be Lysithea in S tier, 2-5 in A tier, 6-7 in B tier, the rest in C.