Possible Frederick Reference? References in Three Houses Thread

I haven't seen a thread like this yet, dedicated to any references found in the game, so here we go. I believe I've heard before that this game actually has some references to past FE titles too, so I like to think this bit I found is a callback to Frederick, and perhaps his support with Female Robin too. Yeah, I'm biased for him and them as a pair, but I swear, it totally feels like a reference regardless!

It's this armored bear stuffy gift item I got. See where this is going now? Frederick is considered armored in his home game, he's associated with bears a lot, and Female Robin calls him Freddy Bear, which is a pun on teddy bear, and this item is basically a teddy bear that is wearing armor. lol

It isn't the first Frederick reference I'd expect to see (I'd have thought I'd see his "Pick a god and pray" line referenced or his pebble habit referenced if anything), but this works for me too, if IS really meant for this to be a callback to everyone's favorite overzealous butler knight. 😛

What other references or possible references have you found? Oh yeah, please try to keep the thread spoiler free, and if you absolutely must give spoilers, use spoiler tags.

Edited by Anacybele

...How did this end up on the second page when I only made this thread today? That is way too fast... I'm going to have to bump it, sorry to say. It has no replies, yet, so...

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

...How did this end up on the second page when I only made this thread today? That is way too fast... I'm going to have to bump it, sorry to say. It has no replies, yet, so...

Because it's the new game, that's been out for just a week now.

8 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

Because it's the new game, that's been out for just a week now.

Other threads here are getting numerous replies though.

I wouldn’t say it’s for sure a reference to Frederick because it’s literally just a teddy bear in a costume.

A reference would be something like the owl and Feh from Heroes. This feels more like a coincidence.

Also I’d imagine if they reference any characters from previous games, it would be the lords. 

5 minutes ago, zuibangde said:

I wouldn’t say it’s for sure a reference to Frederick because it’s literally just a teddy bear in a costume.

A reference would be something like the owl and Feh from Heroes. This feels more like a coincidence.

Also I’d imagine if they reference any characters from previous games, it would be the lords. 

I agree that this specifically is probably just a coincidence, but the loads of location names based on past characters beg to differ with your latter statement. 

16 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Other threads here are getting numerous replies though.

as of writing this you post is 10 hours old, the oldest post on this board on the front page is 9 hours old, hence why it ended up on the second page

I'd say, I would agree on that. A teddy bear is a toy that can be dressed up or accessorize or sold already wearing clothes or accessories. Not unlike, say, a doll. For a military academy, having the teddy bear in armor would make sense.

1 hour ago, zuibangde said:

Yeah, but the costume is specifically armor and you don't normally dress a teddy bear in armor. And then there's the nickname from Female Robin. Otherwise, yeah, I'd agree with you.

Edited by Anacybele

It's definitely a reference thrown in by the localizers, because the item is just a bear doll in the JP text, with no mention of armor.  Which makes sense, because the JP text wouldn't reference something from the English localization of Awakening (Frederick's nickname in the F!Robin A support was a a different pun that had nothing to do with bears in the JP script).

14 minutes ago, YotsuMaboroshi said:

It's definitely a reference thrown in by the localizers, because the item is just a bear doll in the JP text, with no mention of armor.  Which makes sense, because the JP text wouldn't reference something from the English localization of Awakening (Frederick's nickname in the F!Robin A support was a a different pun that had nothing to do with bears in the JP script).

Ah, that makes things clearer. I had no idea the Freddy Bear nickname was in the localization only. Kind of a bummer. I guess this means the "Freddy Bear" conversation in Warriors is very different in Japanese too.

12 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Because maybe you are the only one that... how can I say it without being "rude"... hmm... care?

It's not a big deal a "possible reference" to be worthy of a whole topic, independently to how much you love the character or not.

4 hours ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Because maybe you are the only one that... how can I say it without being "rude"... hmm... care?

It's not a big deal a "possible reference" to be worthy of a whole topic, independently to how much you love the character or not.

Except the topic is for other references too, not just a single one that I found...?

41 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

Except the topic is for other references too, not just a single one that I found...?

Then change the topic's name. "Possible Frederick Reference? References in Three Houses Thread" sounds more like a love letter to Fred than a topic about references in 3H.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

3 minutes ago, Diovani Bressan said:

Then change the topic's name. "Possible Frederick Reference? References in Three Houses Thread" sounds more like a love letter to Fred than a topic about references in 3H.

...How in the flying fuck does that title sound like a love letter? There is nothing in there about love or loving Frederick or loving any character.

"References in Three Houses" doesn't sound like a topic about references in Three Houses. Right, yeah.

Edited by Anacybele

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

...How in the flying fuck does that title sound like a love letter? There is nothing in there about love or loving Frederick or loving any character.

"References in Three Houses" doesn't sound like a topic about references in Three Houses. Right, yeah.

The firsts words in the topic's name is "Possible Frederick Reference?"

I agree that "References in Three Houses" is a good name, it just the "Possible Frederick Reference" is unnecessary. It's giving attention more to Fred than the references.

1 minute ago, Diovani Bressan said:

The firsts words in the topic's name is "Possible Frederick Reference?"

I agree that "References in Three Houses" is a good name, it just the "Possible Frederick Reference" is unnecessary. It's giving attention more to Fred than the references.

Yeah, but "possible Frederick reference" is hardly the same as sending a love letter to him gushing about how much I love him. 😕

4 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

This game is full of references. The Silver Maiden is a fortress clearly named after Micaiah. There is a country of Brigid which is named after Brigid from FE4. 

So this game really does have a lot of references to past FE games. Though I'd have not picked a badly written character like Micaiah to name something after, personally.

1 minute ago, Anacybele said:

So this game really does have a lot of references to past FE games. Though I'd have not picked a badly written character like Ike to name something after, personally.

Agreed. Hopefully there is no reference of him. 

15 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

There is a country of Brigid which is named after Brigid from FE4. 

Adding to this, there's also the country of Dagda, likely named after the Thracia776 character. Then on top of that, Dagda and Brigid once fought together agaist the Adrestian Empire, which in turn might be a reference to how Dagda and Brigid (as Evayle) are allies and end up fighting against the Grannvale Empire during the course of Thracia776.

Admitedly, I haven't been able to keep up with the information; but to me this might be the most complex reference so far.

42 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

This game is full of references. The Silver Maiden is a fortress clearly named after Micaiah. There is a country of Brigid which is named after Brigid from FE4. 

To add to that there's a country called Dagda which could be a reference to Dagda from FE5.

EDIT: Got sniped by @Acacia Sgt and he also put it better.

Edited by Hekselka

2 hours ago, Anacybele said:

That was rude.

I mean, so was calling Micaiah a "badly written character" even though that negative subjective opinion contributes nothing to your point, silly. :P

Dunno if it was mentioned yet, but FEH might have gotten referenced with the owl feather item everyone enjoys and the occasional flying owl hooting with the same sound effect as Feh. Warriors also has "The World Tree" as Tiki's amiibo song; only Warriors song in the game as the other amiibo music come from their original sources.