Restrooms in Garegg Mach

tanuki

While playing Three Houses, I had to rush to my "thinking seat" and I started to think about where I needed to go next in the monastery.    Has anyone seen a restroom or outhouse in the Monastery?   I haven't.  Do they use chamber pots?  Is that why Cyril is so busy, cause he has to empty all that?   Maybe it's behind that one door in the Church that only opens once every year?   Even the Starship Enterprise has one restroom.

The restrooms will be DLC. And they shall feature FE's first playable disembodied hand, but you must first sit on the can. After they try to grab you by surprise, you must obtain the Purifying Poopourri. Then throw the Poopourri into the toilet and lower your head deep into the bowl, shouting "Vesori save us all!". Doing so will force the demonic disembodied hand out of the toilet and allow you to cleanse it. Purged of evil, the ghost will join your team.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Well, it’s more likely that the monastery doesn’t have restrooms, but rather each room has a chamber pot.

The monastery might have latrines though.

Edited by Water Mage

I’ve also wondered what the state of plumbing technology is in this fantasy setting. Is there running water? Showers? Where would the monastery draw water from? I want a water tower with rumours swirling around it that students make out or died up there.

The ancient Romans had indoor plumbing and a functioning sewer system. There's no reason that the monastery doesn't have one as well.

Rhea, being the pope, has her own private bathroom. Primary reason to be head of the local religion.

Edited by SimplyUnknown

3 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Wait, does no one actually know what the sauna does? Does it do nothing?

I just assumed I hadn't unlocked it yet, but that it would unlock eventually.

I'm nearly halfway through the game, and I haven't unlocked it yet.

I don't think you can.

Just as a quick comment: indoor plumbing wasn't widespread in Europe until the LATE 19TH CENTURY. Like, train travel was yesterday's news but toilets were a marvel. 

Another really curious QUIRK of indoor plumbing is people took up the technology slowly because the people who benefitted most from it were NOT the people footing the bills to install the new pipes. Like, if someone says to you, "Hey, would you like to spend a HUGE chunk of money refurbishing your home--it will be very expensive and maybe smelly--or would you like to continue paying a peasant literal pennies to keep pumping your water outside/carrying away your poop?" 

If you worked in the kitchen or the staff of a large house, of COURSE you'd see the benefit! Your daily labor would be much easier. But if you worked in the kitchen or the staff, you weren't making decisions about renovation. 

Like, it wasn't even a hard question for most wealthy people! It was easier and cheaper to keep paying employees. It would have been difficult and expensive to install plumbing. So they didn't. 

Edited by Personette

16 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Wait, does no one actually know what the sauna does? Does it do nothing?

I just assumed I hadn't unlocked it yet, but that it would unlock eventually.

Given spas tend to be good for jokes (albeit frequently perverted ones) I can easily visualize this as paid DLC, or maybe a free update. Although I'm bleeeh on including yukatas, they look nice, but are thematically out of place. 

31 minutes ago, SimplyUnknown said:

The ancient Romans had indoor plumbing and a functioning sewer system. There's no reason that the monastery doesn't have one as well.

One that fell into disrepair when the Western Roman Empire collapsed. And while Christianity gained dominance towards the end of the Roman Empire, the majority of its glorious era of Christianity's hold over Europe was during a less sanitary time.

45 minutes ago, Lynsanity said:

I want a water tower with rumours swirling around it that students make out or died up there.

There is the April Fools trick gone wrong. Fill the tower with molasses as a prank, only for the tower to get so warm the molasses expands to the point it rips open the water tower and the contents come flooding out. Hundred of thousands of gold in property damage is done, a few students are left badly injured, and the smell of sugary liquid lingers in the affected area for months to come.

Or a powerful pyromaniac shows up at school one day, and happens to be standing near the water tower during their reign of fire. Noticing this, a few clever students do battle with pyromaniac, while another strikes at the water tower, its contents spill onto the pyromaniac, crippling it long enough for the other heroes to deal a fatal blow.

I kept thinking the same thing while playing the game

Also, the monastery is full of cats, yet I haven't seen a single litterbox. I wonder if there's cat shit everywhere

11 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Also, the monastery is full of cats, yet I haven't seen a single litterbox. I wonder if there's cat shit everywhere

Should be, if what I've heard of the Palace of Versailles (or was it King Charles II of England's court?) and its dog situation. 

Versailles also had servants going around with pissboxes, given the total lack of actual latrines of any kind. If you couldn't call one over, you just had to let it flow where you were.

1 hour ago, Captain Karnage said:

Off to the forest this topic goes.

This is Serious Discussion, though.

1 hour ago, Nobody said:

The Blue Lions males "mark their territory", headcanon accepted.

Also the female Blue Lions hunt and cook and Dimitri always eats first. He'll also kill every kid that isn't his after the time skip to bring the ladies into heat again and run the rest of the guys out

In other news is it bad I didn't want to post here until it got moved to FFTF because I didn't want spoilers SHUT UP YOU NEVER KNOW

Edited by Dragoncat

There are some beagles on the premises to, so there'd be some dog poop here and there as well. But I'd imagine that some servants go out and clean up what they can. Surely they have cleaning crews there. 😛

But realistically I'm sure there are bathrooms in the academy, there was just no reason to show them to us.

7 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

But realistically I'm sure there are bathrooms in the academy, there was just no reason to show them to us.

Yeah, even when bathrooms were shown in Zelda it was a gag or a joke mostly.