52 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

this is what i did. i have the Golden Deer Path saved so if something happens via dlc, i can continue w/that file. (and all of them really)

I need more slots. LOL

#TwelveSlots2K20

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally starting my 3rd playthrough and want to clarify the "Renown Bonuses."

I guess for the first playthrough, the player starts with just 3000 Renown to mess around with. NG+ puts this up to 6000. However, when I went to NG++, I just got 6100. I guess this is my leftover renown as I was basically broke at the end of my NG+ file.

I was under the impression that the NG+ Renown Bonus would increase the more I chain, but I guess it doesn't and all that carried over is the leftover Renown (which is consumed by spending it on the other stuff).
So much for my dream of raising my weapon skills to high levels to help with teaching or to try out crazy build ideas. It costs a lot to max out weapon skills on Byleth. It'll cost a heck of a lot more if I also wanted to get the Students involved...

4 hours ago, Sire said:

I guess for the first playthrough, the player starts with just 3000 Renown to mess around with. NG+ puts this up to 6000. However, when I went to NG++, I just got 6100. I guess this is my leftover renown as I was basically broke at the end of my NG+ file.

I don't think you start off with any set amount of renown. In the first playthrough, by the time you can view your renown (which is when you can fix up the statues), you likely procured 3,000 by then. Also, thich difficulty did you play in? I heard you get 3,000 for clearing on Normal, and 6,000 for clearing it on Hard. Assuming that it'll be more for Lunatic and Insane.

If you played on Normal, you probably had around 3,000 and 3,100 by the endgame respectively of each playthrough. If on Hard, probably close to 0 or 100 by then.

47 minutes ago, MrPerson0 said:

I don't think you start off with any set amount of renown. In the first playthrough, by the time you can view your renown (which is when you can fix up the statues), you likely procured 3,000 by then. Also, thich difficulty did you play in? I heard you get 3,000 for clearing on Normal, and 6,000 for clearing it on Hard. Assuming that it'll be more for Lunatic and Insane.

If you played on Normal, you probably had around 3,000 and 3,100 by the endgame respectively of each playthrough. If on Hard, probably close to 0 or 100 by then.

I only played on Hard difficulty.

NG was Edelgard's route, Classic Hard.
NG+ was Blue Lions, Classic Hard.
NG++ is Golden Deer, Classic Hard.

I need to get my Switch to double check if I still have my initial cleared save for comparisons, but I doubt I still have the files.

1 hour ago, Sire said:

NG was Edelgard's route, Classic Hard.
NG+ was Blue Lions, Classic Hard.
NG++ is Golden Deer, Classic Hard.

I need to get my Switch to double check if I still have my initial cleared save for comparisons, but I doubt I still have the files.

You just get 6000 to start with on NG+?  That would be great if confirmed.  I really want to crank up my prof level as soon as possible on my second playthrough, but I'm not sure if I'll have much, if any after spending them trying to get the EXP statue bonuses.

Also, do the skills carrying over to subsequent playthroughs?  Like, if my Byleth has A rank on Reason and Faith now, but I make a physical Byleth next playthrough, will I still have access to the A magic ranks on my 3rd playthrough?

25 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

You just get 6000 to start with on NG+?  That would be great if confirmed.  I really want to crank up my prof level as soon as possible on my second playthrough, but I'm not sure if I'll have much, if any after spending them trying to get the EXP statue bonuses.

Also, do the skills carrying over to subsequent playthroughs?  Like, if my Byleth has A rank on Reason and Faith now, but I make a physical Byleth next playthrough, will I still have access to the A magic ranks on my 3rd playthrough?

I don't have my first cleared save anymore, so I can't do comparisons. However, I was easily able to upgrade my Professor Level on my 2nd playthrough, and I think I spent most of my Renown the first time around as well. (Granted, I only went to C+ instead of all the way to A+, but I could have done so if desired.)

Yes, skills carry over as long as you keep the NG+ chain going. While they do reset at the start, you can repurchase the skill levels with Renown. So, if you went Faith/Reason Byleth for NG and Axe Byleth for NG+, you will have access to Axe, Faith, and Reason for NG++. You will just need to repurchase the skill levels.

I had ~6600 in both my NG+ runs (Hard Classic BL, Hard Classic Edegard, Hard Classic GD, now doing Church).

I'm going all out this NG+ run though. Lysithea A, Death Blow/Fiendish Blow at level 1, C Authority (for lord battalions), etc.

Gauntlets with Death Blow + King of Lions Corp = lulz

I'm having a hard time prioritizing what I want to spend my renown on for my first NG+ playthrough. Professor level? Supports to recruit former students? Or weapon ranks? I'm leaning towards Professor level. I can get through the game fine with the students that I already have in BL I think.

I'm getting conflicting reports here. Do you or do you not start NG+ with additional bonus Renown for clearing your previous playthrough? This is important since I need to know if I should hoard my Renown for NG+ or if I can continue spending it on status bonuses safely in my first playthrough. It would be awful to start NG+ with like 200 Renown just because I tried to reach for a third EXP+10%.

6 minutes ago, Cor Leonis said:

I'm getting conflicting reports here. Do you or do you not start NG+ with additional bonus Renown for clearing your previous playthrough? This is important since I need to know if I should hoard my Renown for NG+ or if I can continue spending it on status bonuses safely in my first playthrough. It would be awful to start NG+ with like 200 Renown just because I tried to reach for a third EXP+10%.

As far as we can discern if you played on normal and load a finished game file you get a one time bonus of 3000 renown at the start of the game once you have access to the activity board. If you finished on hard it's a 6000 renown bonus. These bonuses renew again if you finish your ng+ file and carry over that to ng++ and so on.

Edited by Gwyn

26 minutes ago, Gwyn said:

As far as we can discern if you played on normal and load a finished game file you get a one time bonus of 3000 renown at the start of the game once you have access to the activity board. If you finished on hard it's a 6000 renown bonus. These bonuses renew again if you finish your ng+ file and carry over that to ng++ and so on.

That's a relief. Thank you for the concise and insightful answer. Now to try and get a third EXP+10% before this run ends... I've been doing skirmishes on Hard every other week of the month to try and grind Renown. I think for generic skirmishes, you get a flat 100 Renown per battle? So it's an easy 600 every month assuming you have an A+ Professor rank and without ignoring your students' Motivation.

Edited by Cor Leonis

I fiddled around a bit with NG+ (not actually starting a run, just wanted to see what's up with it). I started with 8100 renown (from a Hard/Classic run), I guess I just had 2000 unspent renown lying around? Anyway I can safely say that buying professor level right away is not a good practice, do Flayn's mission, eat once, and then fish with the baits Flayn gives you. It's more than enough to get to E+, that means saving 500 renown (since every level has the same cost). And tbh I'm not even sure you need professor level that much for the first couple chapters, maybe it's better to try and get to D/D+ and then buy up to C+ for the extra battle.

Also just realized you can put alternative hairstyles on lords (other than change appearence of your students), Dimitri does a Felix cosplay, Claude becomes a hipster and Edelgard is the most beautiful girl of this game wtf, weird how they went for the dumb horns when they had that model lying around.

Okay so what I did was in my first game, i bought a whole statue. 
then i carried over a chunk of Renown, so i had about 8800 (I made sure i had at least 4K for prof a+). 

i did the first missions to get me toE+ then I bought my professorship back. 
I truthfully had no problems doing it. having 10 all at once is sort of a waste, so i mean, you can get to C (fast) and then sort of raise it naturally  but i basically just do my day now - Tutor byleth on everything (except Alois) , use 1 on choir practice, 1 on House v House Battles, (then tea time). if i have one left over, i feed everyone)

The 1 other thing i did was Buy level A support w/Hilda. I had a specific build for her and i needed her ASAP. because she needed a lot of time and work  and it is paying off now. so that was 1200 renown well spent. I had to nurse Marianne's reason along but now she is just an insane Mortal Savant for me. once i start playing over and over again, ideally i should have enough renown so i can unlock my ranks on weapons and it's all done. 

but i never regret buying my A+ right away and I'll most likely do this again. i fished for hours to get it done the first time if i can avoid it that's great. 

I bought up to B professor level after getting E+ automatically, and that seemed more than enough to do everything. In fact, I quickly ran out of food since dining in the dining hall was what I spent most of my time on (to unlock supports everywhere), and you can’t buy simple things like onions, tomatoes, and chickpeas.

21 hours ago, Sire said:

In that case, you likely has 0 renown by the end of your initial run. Others have confirmed that you get 3,000 renown for beating the game on Normal, and 6,000 renown for beating it on Hard.

1 hour ago, iavasechui said:

Warning Blue Lions Dimitri support can be flagged as missed during Lonato invasion if you enter Sothis Holy Tomb for items during that month before you get his C rank the following month.

Wrong topic.

2 hours ago, Moonlit Knight said:

I bought up to B professor level after getting E+ automatically, and that seemed more than enough to do everything. In fact, I quickly ran out of food since dining in the dining hall was what I spent most of my time on (to unlock supports everywhere), and you can’t buy simple things like onions, tomatoes, and chickpeas. 

I still think A+ is the best since that is the only rank with three battle activity points. Every time you complete a battle that costs a point, you get 100 renown, you you'll likely make that amount back quickly.

Edited by MrPerson0

3 hours ago, SSJDennis said:

Do learned "classes" carry over? Or do we really need to buy the weapon ranks and such? Got some lucky 30% exams, would be terrible to redo them...

I think so. Actually, it seems like you can get more than one dancer in a route using NG+... I wonder if there are any restrictions with that...

3 hours ago, SSJDennis said:

Do learned "classes" carry over? Or do we really need to buy the weapon ranks and such? Got some lucky 30% exams, would be terrible to redo them...

No, they do not. However, if you master a class, in NG+, you can pay 500 renown (I believe) to learn the mastered class's skills. In the case of Byleth, they can learn gender-locked skills this way (Lifetaker for F!Byleth, Pegasus skills and I believe Vantage for M!Byleth).

Learned classes do not carry over. You will need to "re-certify" into classes on each new playthrough. This also means that you can only have one dancer per playthrough, so it is impossible to have multiple dancers. (Your previous dancer may have the class mastered, but getting "Special Dance" is useless unless you make them into a Dancer again.)
What does carry over are "Class Masteries." If you manage to master a class, say the Brigand class, you can buy its class mastery "Death Blow" for 500 renown. This is useful for getting skills early or for getting skills in a class you don't want to master for that particular playthrough.

So, if you mastered Vantage from the Mercenary class and Wrath from the Warrior class, on NG+ you can purchase both skills and play as a spellcaster instead if you want.

Edited by Sire

What did you folks spend renown on NG++ for?  The statues I have already maxed out, re-bought professor level A+ and am left with like 4700 at the beginning of my BL playthrough. Don't really see a use for the crests right now, so I'll probably just use it to get support up and the right skill set for units I might have a hard time to recruit.   

2 hours ago, know_naim said:

What did you folks spend renown on NG++ for?  The statues I have already maxed out, re-bought professor level A+ and am left with like 4700 at the beginning of my BL playthrough. Don't really see a use for the crests right now, so I'll probably just use it to get support up and the right skill set for units I might have a hard time to recruit.   

If you want to be busted, use renown on authority. You keep your previous battalions so C authority for chapter 1 gives you access to 8+ atk from a lord battalion like Dimitri's or Claude's