Favorite Characters?

BZL8

Now that Three Houses is out, what are some of this forum's favorite characters, whether be playable characters or NPCs? What are some of the characters that stand out to you, whether be gameplay-wise, story/character-wise, or both?

For me? Sylvain or Bernadetta, if we're talking playable characters.

NPCs? The Gatekeeper; he's always fun to talk to after every chapter.

So far I've come to like Dimitri, Edelgard, Sylvain, Dorothea and Lysithea a lot. Lysithea's probably my favorite of that bunch but a lot can still change since I've only completed one route.

That being said, aside from Bernadetta there hasn't been a single character I straight up dislike.

Edited by Hekselka

33 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

That being said, aside from Bernadetta there hasn't been a single character I straight up dislike.

Bernadetta gets much better as the game and her supports progress.

As for me, Lysithea's probably my favorite, but I also like Ashe, Edelgard, Claude, Ingrid, and... well, most of the characters.

I like all the characters but my favourites have definitely been Dorothea (huge surprise considering I absolutely hated her pre-skip design before release), Catherine and Claude.

NPC-wise, I love the Gatekeeper (of course), Judith, and Nader.

The only characters I can think of that I'm not a huge fan of are Edelgard and Hubert, but it's not like I hate them.

EDIT: How did I forget Ignatz!!??? Iggy is my sweet boy.

Edited by nordopolica

Dimitri all the way!!

Somehow I end liking characters with a lot of troubles so...

I also like Bernadetta and Ashe... And the character I like the less is probably Edelgard, but that is mostly for ALL the bias she is getting not only from the fandom but also from IntSys... Yet I don't dislike or hate her, she is just... Not in my favorite list... Oh! I also find Hannenman a bit creepy...

Note that I haven't played Golden Deer, yet. I'm on the final chapter on Blue Lions.

Story-wise:

Definitely Edelgard: Tbh, I had no expectations for her because she was pushed a lot, and I was leaning more towards Dimitri and Blue Lions. However, after playing her route and BL, I really liked her. She's a very well-written character. Ambitious, strong-willed, merciful and ruthless at the same time. She had her questionable moments, but her redeeming qualities make up for them. Great character. I think she might become my most favorite character.

Bernadetta: I really can't help but smile when I see her supports. Her supports are really light-hearted. 

Sylvain: At first, I disliked his personality a lot and thought he was shallow as hell, but I was actually surprised by the depth of his character.

Marianne: I never had an interest in her, but post-timeskip supports made me really like her.

Gameplay-wise:

Most of the characters are really good honestly. I loved both Edelgard and Dimitri. They are seriously broken. 

Excluding the lords, I would say Bernadetta, Sylvain, Ingrid, Petra, Lysithea and Hilda were my mains. Bernadetta can stay in Africa and kill people. As for Lysithea, it's a 1-shot 1-kill situation. Sylvain, Petra and Ingrid were my fliers. Hilda was heavily RNG-blessed. High hp, str, spd, and def. Unkillable.

Edited by Spectrum

HILDA, HILDA.

Seriously, anybody who chants their own name as a victory quote is instantly a favorite for me. She’s just such an obnoxious and easygoing character that she really sticks out amidst all the doom and gloom in my Blue Lions party. Unsure if she’s as easy to appreciate in other groups.

I really do like most of these characters, though.

Alois, Marianne, Sylvain, Dorothea, Bernadetta, Lysithea, Ashe, Raphael, Petra, Linhardt, Mercedes, Annette, and Ignatz have all been characters I really like. As for the three main protagonists, I like Dimitri and Claude a lot, but I'm not a fan of Edelgard. Hubert ain't great, either.

I am still only on chapter 8 of Blue Lions, because I have little free time and explore a lot, but so far my favourites are:

Felix - Jerk he may be, but it still gets easy to tell when he cares about people. I love how he still wants to protect the innocent, he just doesn't want to make it about the "honor crap" and thinks the whole nobility is garbage at it. He is actually pretty complex and not just another Navarre archetype. His relationship with Dimitri and his dad does a lot to explain where his issues come from, but it's a lot more comolicated than just "They were mean to him." and more with being alienated by the way they handled the Duscur fallout.

Dimitri - He is just incredibly sympathetic during the storyline and while I haven't seen how the game actually handles it, the discussion of his darker side intrigues me. I really want to see the conflict between his kind personality and murderous outbursts.

Mercedes - An incredibly kind character who is deeply supportive of everyone around her. She nontheless is far from weak and can hold her own in any conversation without being intimidated. Her backstory is also incredibly sympathetic.

Sylvain - At first he does seem pretty shallow and I have seen "flirty playboy who hides his sadness behind a cheery attitude" done before, but the game actually goes a bit further by not shying away from the fact that he does have an issue with women (believing them all to be two-faced harlots after his crest/noble status and money.). I like how they went there, given what a potential for controversy that has. Also how dark he gets with Byleth in his main support. That actually made me nervous. Kudos to the VA for selling it.

Dorothea: Haven't seen too much of her since I am on BL and only just recruited her, but I do like how she is so far. She is like a softer Charlotte-type (who I also enjoyed), with some obvious self-loathing thrown in with how little she values her own accomplishments and worth. She also sticks to always being genuine with her feelings and doesn't take Sylvain's bullshit at all and it's touching to see her struggling to emotionally connect with Byleth.

Other notable characters: All the other blue lion kids, Petra, and Leonie.

I might actually come back to this once I have beaten the game. That will... take a while though. haha;;

Edited by Nanima

Ive finished a playthrough on Golden Deers, overall, I really like Falyn and Bernadetta, She makes one hell of a Bow Knight, at one point I think I had her close to 90% crit rate. (And yes I went out of my way to recruit her.) Beside that, My boy Claude for life!

7 hours ago, Nanima said:

I am still only on chapter 8 of Blue Lions, because I have little free time and explore a lot, but so far my favourites are:

Felix - Jerk he may be, but it still gets easy to tell when he cares about people. I love how he still wants to protect the innocent, he just doesn't want to make it about the "honor crap" and thinks the whole nobility is garbage at it. He is actually pretty complex and not just another Navarre archetype. His relationship with Dimitri and his dad does a lot to explain where his issues come from, but it's a lot more comolicated than just "They were mean to him." and more with being alienated by the way they handled the Duscur fallout.

Yeah I forgot to mention Felix. A lot of people call him 'another edgy myrmidon', but his supports and story dialogues surprised me.

I just saw Hilda's supports. She's honestly very sweet and I see where she comes from. 

Note that I'm still only at chapter 8 or 9, and I haven't looked at most timeskip designs.

Edelgard of course, incredibly complex character, reading through her supports is amazing. She's struggling with what she has to be, but at the same time wants to use that chance to change her world, and yet there's also a bit of sweetness hiding in there. Then I'd say Dorothea, which I knew I'd like, but didn't think she'd be so deep. Finally Marianne because she's so precious and I really want to know her backstory (never heard "father", it's always "adoptive father", also the unknown crest and the fact that she doesn't sleep). That's the top 3.

I also like a lot Hubert (sometimes it's a bit much with the "lady Edelgard", but when he can troll freely it's amazing lol), Hanneman (obviously) and Rhea (her voice is so calming!). Linhardt and Seteth surprised me, I thought I'd hate them but turns out they're good, Linhardt in particular is very funny (props to the VA), but I hope he fixes that hair in the timeskip. Alois and Manuela are nice for comic relief and let's not forget Jeralt, a lot of screen time for a FE parent and it's well deserved, I just wish Byleth would show a bit more attachment to him (I'm sure there are reasons, but still).

There's also a couple I truly despise, Caspar (cringe) and Bernadetta (that shrieking is unbearable, and no, her supports are not remotely funny even with the silly music). Also Mercedes, she has a weird voice, I don't like her design and she seems a bit bland.

I'm only on chapter 6 of Black Eagles.

I really like Edelgard. One of the best lords in the series so far.

While I'm not liking Dorothea as much as I initially expected, she's still a good character. One character I didn't expect to like at all was Petra, but she's great, being a more subtle and well-executed counterpart to Athena from previous games.

Hubert is the man. I see myself behaving in a similar manner to him in the situations in which he finds himself, minus the whole "beholden to Edelgard" aspect of his personality.

From what limited interaction I have had with them, I like Shamir, Jeralt, Sylvain, Marianne, and Ingrid a lot.

I agree with the characters mentioned in this thread as well.

Edelgard and Hubert are absolute Top, Hubert especially manages to be both incredibly evil and harsh and at the same time oddly relatable that it is baffling. His A-support with Male Byleths was so Epic.

Also surprisingly to me Linhardt is amazing as well.

others that i really liked are Ferdinand and Sylvain (in his male supports mainly) and Raphael (who is undoubtedly stupid but that does not necessarily make him shallow).

As others have said both Bernadetta (the shrieks... ffs) and mercedes are really bad. Mercedes voice is so high pitched it's like Bernadetta shrieking for the full support.

All in all apart from those two all characters have something going for them.

9 hours ago, Nanima said:

Dimitri - He is just incredibly sympathetic during the storyline and while I haven't seen how the game actually handles it, the discussion of his darker side intrigues me. I really want to see the conflict between his kind personality and murderous outbursts.

Mercedes - An incredibly kind character who is deeply supportive of everyone around her. She nontheless is far from weak and can hold her own in any conversation without being intimidated. Her backstory is also incredibly sympathetic.

Sylvain - At first he does seem pretty shallow and I have seen "flirty playboy who hides his sadness behind a cheery attitude" done before, but the game actually goes a bit further by not shying away from the fact that he does have an issue with women (believing them all to be two-faced harlots after his crest/noble status and money.). I like how they went there, given what a potential for controversy that has. Also how dark he gets with Byleth in his main support. That actually made me nervous. Kudos to the VA for selling it.

Dorothea: Haven't seen too much of her since I am on BL and only just recruited her, but I do like how she is so far. She is like a softer Charlotte-type (who I also enjoyed), with some obvious self-loathing thrown in with how little she values her own accomplishments and worth. She also sticks to always being genuine with her feelings and doesn't take Sylvain's bullshit at all and it's touching to see her struggling to emotionally connect with Byleth.

Other notable characters: All the other blue lion kids, Petra, and Leonie.

I might actually come back to this once I have beaten the game. That will... take a while though. haha;;

I agree with you on most of these points, especially the one about Felix. I came into this game worried about how they were going to handle him and he's exceeded all of my expectations. I think the support that really drove me to like him was his C-Support with Dedue because god, the intensity! I started out thinking Felix was in the wrong and had completely changed my opinion by the time the support was done. That's some pretty impressive work from both the writers and the voice actors. 

Ashe and Annette have also endeared themselves to me through their supports. Dedue has also surprised me with how much I like him; his loyalty and history with Dimitri is very interesting and I like how he acts almost like a father figure to some of the younger members of the class. Cyril is pretty funny too; so young and such a workaholic. 

I'm honestly really enjoying myself and I'm looking forward to unlocking new supports!

Marianne, Ingrid, Ashe, and Bernie so far, but especially Marianne. Initially I was curious about her Crest, but after learning more about her, she quickly became my favorite. Depression is never a good thing, and she deserves all the love and support for it.

Also curiously, she owns the traits of my previous favorites(Libra’s piety/dark past and Shigure’s hair color/disney princess charm).

I am genuinely surprised that I have yet to see a playable character that I “hate,” as everybody I’ve seen has been like able. Playing Golden Deer, I was shocked that even Lorenz started to grow on me over the course of the game.

Of course, having only played Golden Deer, I can say with all the bias in the world that Claude is the best, with Hilda, Marianne, Petra, and Lysithea coming just a hair behind him.

1st Edelgard-Since have never discussed her. She is cool in a way that drives people to be jealous wanting them to be around her as much as possible that she brings inspiration in people, beautiful and having good manners. Yes...even Hubert is trying to get his meeting to her as much as he can. Anytime that she teaches a class would certainly make them into her pets taming delinquency. She has the best character development in the game!

2nd Ferdinand-see this

3rd Claude-

Claude.

His smile is so adorable and that I like that he isn't such a goody two shoes. He seems more honest with his callous side a bit in Heroes

MwZMQO.jpg

as of this statement.

Edited by PuffPuff

Hilda. Her pretentious "Who? Me?" gets me every time, has also best support dialogues so far (didn't do BL yet). Seconod place goes to Linhardt, third to Claude. Seems I enjoy the easygoing and playful characters in the game most.   

So far, I actually like all of the characters I have made playable to a certain extent. Which is everyone from GD, the Knights of Seiros and Church of Seiros (As of ~Ch.16 in game), and Bernadetta.
I gotta say, though, I feel sorry for some of these guys. Marianne, Lysithea, and Bernadetta especially.
And then there are characters who just make my day, like Flayn and Raphael. And Claude is looking like a good lord character.

1. Edelgard
  2. Felix
  3. Dimitri
    Spoiler

Amazing character development

4. Dorothea
  5. Sylvain
  6. Byleth
  7. Marianne (Have not yet played Golden Deer route, have only had her on Blue Lions)
  8. Ingrid
  9. Petra
  10. Ferdinand

I have only played Black Eagles and most of Blue Lions so far. My list will probably change once I play through the rest.