My party seems to be speed screwed, should I start the game over?

I don't know why, but a ton of my units are constantly getting doubled. I don't recall seeing many of them gain speed on level ups very often either. I just used up all the Time Pulse charges because my units keep getting doubled and killed in chapter 6, specifically Marianne and Lysithea. Or maybe the Golden Deer just suck and I should've picked a different house. I'd hate to have to do that though, I really like Claude. And I really don't want to have to start all over either, I'm several chapters into the game now.

I wish there was an easy mode though, normal seems exceedingly difficult for the lowest difficulty. Not only are my units constantly getting doubled, but they've come near death several times too, and Byleth died twice. I recall RD had this same problem as well, so I don't know why IS would repeat it.

Also, a weird glitch happened. All of a sudden, several of my units were unable to do anything except use items. They couldn't even move. They weren't attacked or anything, except for one of them. They just...all of a sudden couldn't do much of anything. I hope I didn't wind up with a defective copy of the game.

If you're playing on normal, (maybe higher difficulties, not sure) you can grind as many of the free maps when you select battle for the week.  Overleveling the enemies a bit should make up for any RNG screwage you have.

Just now, Rezzy said:

If you're playing on normal, (maybe higher difficulties, not sure) you can grind as many of the free maps when you select battle for the week.  Overleveling the enemies a bit should make up for any RNG screwage you have.

I have done some grinding already. I'm bored of it... My party is lv. 6-9 with Claude being lv. 12 and Byleth lv. 14.

It sounds like you're just being RNG screwed. I can confirm that it's not because GD suck though, I've been playing with them on Hard Classic and I'm nearly at the end of the game without much concern about being doubled too frequently or any other Spd problems. Also, if it's just a few particular units who keep having problems, you can randomly get Speed boosters by growing flowers in the greenhouse to permanently increase a unit's speed, or you can cook meals to increase every unit's speed by a set number for the whole month.

4 minutes ago, carpirate said:

It sounds like you're just being RNG screwed. I can confirm that it's not because GD suck though, I've been playing with them on Hard Classic and I'm nearly at the end of the game without much concern about being doubled too frequently or any other Spd problems. Also, if it's just a few particular units who keep having problems, you can randomly get Speed boosters by growing flowers in the greenhouse to permanently increase a unit's speed, or you can cook meals to increase every unit's speed by a set number for the whole month.

Yeah, that's what I said, I feel like I got RNG screwed. I'd expect Raphael to be slow, but I don't get why Lorenz, Marianne, Hilda, and Ignatz would all also be getting doubled. Lorenz and Marianne get doubled the most besides Raphael. But I see, I guess I'll have to do those things.

I don't feel like playing anymore at the moment though. I was really far into the map and it was taking a long time, and I'd already used up all the Time Pulse charges. I don't want to start all of that all over right now.

Also, no one explained that glitch I ran into. Can someone tell me how I might avoid it or fix it?

Edited by Anacybele

Honestly, you seem RNG screwed. I was like this on my first run on BE. When I played BL the RNG bless was unreal. I realized my first playthrough was really unlucky. I suggest you continue grinding because that's what I did in BE and I got decent growths after reclassing them. I beat the route on Hard/Classic.

3 minutes ago, Spectrum said:

Honestly, you seem RNG screwed. I was like this on my first run on BE. When I played BL the RNG bless was unreal. I realized my first playthrough was really unlucky. I suggest you continue grinding because that's what I did in BE and I got decent growths after reclassing them. I beat the route on Hard/Classic.

Yes, I got the idea now, I'll think about grinding a bit more.

Can someone answer the question that I said has gone unanswered now? Meaning that glitch?

That seems like RNG screw, at lower difficulties you should be able to basically win without thinking too much about it, just bashing in with a ball of units should do the job really.

But then again, the fact that you're in Normal means that it's very easy to fix, starting over seems a bit excessive. RNG screw barely matters in Normal, you don't even need your full party to win probably, Claude and Byleth will be more than enough to get you out of most situations, even if sometimes the opponent is fast. Also try to use lighter weapons, strength and weight matter a lot for Attack Speed.

As for the "glitch", not to sound rude but it's 99% not a bug and just something you didn't notice, maybe some spell or some debuff skills or something like that. Defective copy it's... almost impossible really, games are not printed on old film that can get damaged. A software bug is a much more likely possibility, but if it was the case we'd probably have seen some other reports with how many people are playing.

EDIT: now that I re-read your post, no it's not RNG screw, your party is just low level. Byleth being lv.14 means that you dumped a lot of exp into him and not enough into others (6-9 is not where you should be at chapter 6, especially if you did a bit of grinding).

Edited by timon

I don't think it's RNG screwery only. I think levels may have something to do with it.

If you're on chapter 6 the enemies are close to level 13, correct? I think you spread your exp too thin.

Your characters were probably hit by a gambit that stops movement. Gambits can hit in large areas, not only the main target.

Also, Lorenz and Marianne are not naturally fast characters. My Lorenz has 14 speed at level 20.

Edited by SheriffMcDuck
additions

I haven't played very far into the game, but I know that Marianne is meant to be squishy, and probably Lysithea too. If they get doubled by a melee unit, they'll probably die. I'm playing on Hard. I took Marianne with me to the mock battle. I thought, "Everyone is in their default class, so she should be about the same as the others, right?" Wrong. She could hardly deal damage, and she needed to stay behind front lines or die, spending all her time healing or using Nosferatu when safe. It's possible that you are RNG screwed, but these units shouldn't be anywhere that they might get doubled anyway. Also, consider using lighter weapons.

18 minutes ago, IzzyFresh said:

Once you upgrade classes at level 10 that should fix your speed issues. Use training/iron weapons for now to lower the speed penality.

Quoting for emphasis.

Weapon weight being back and strength-based mitigation getting nerfed (at least it's not constitution-based...) make steel and throwing weapons pretty awful in the early game. Should note spells have weight too. Nosferatu's pretty heavy for a 'beginner' spell. Feel even iron's kinda bad early on. Stuck with training weapons almost exclusively early on.

Edited by Technoweirdo

1 hour ago, Anacybele said:

Also, a weird glitch happened. All of a sudden, several of my units were unable to do anything except use items. They couldn't even move. They weren't attacked or anything, except for one of them. They just...all of a sudden couldn't do much of anything. I hope I didn't wind up with a defective copy of the game.

One Gambit (Disturbance, to be specific) can stop a unit from moving for a turn.

41 minutes ago, timon said:

EDIT: now that I re-read your post, no it's not RNG screw, your party is just low level. Byleth being lv.14 means that you dumped a lot of exp into him and not enough into others (6-9 is not where you should be at chapter 6, especially if you did a bit of grinding).

I recall the enemies in this map being lv. 9 on average though. Maybe it's actually chapter 5 and I'm remembering wrong.

As for the gambit thing, I didn't know that stopping a unit from moving was a gambit. Wish I'd seen that sooner...

9 minutes ago, Anacybele said:

I recall the enemies in this map being lv. 9 on average though. Maybe it's actually chapter 5 and I'm remembering wrong.

As for the gambit thing, I didn't know that stopping a unit from moving was a gambit. Wish I'd seen that sooner...

I'm pretty sure all gambits stop units from moving. I think that was in the tutorial for them?
Anyway, you should probably be at lv. 9, not lv 6-9. Which of the two is your team closer to, on average? Is there just, like, one person who's at 6, or multiple? Because with the amount of exp in this game, that shouldn't really be happening.

18 minutes ago, 0 Def Cleric said:

I'm pretty sure all gambits stop units from moving. I think that was in the tutorial for them?
Anyway, you should probably be at lv. 9, not lv 6-9. Which of the two is your team closer to, on average? Is there just, like, one person who's at 6, or multiple? Because with the amount of exp in this game, that shouldn't really be happening.

My team is generally closer to lv. 9. I only have a couple units that are closer to lv. 6.

Never restart over bad levels. You'll waste far more time playing back to where you were than you'll save with a potentially better (potentially worse!) set of statlines.

The movement thing is almost assuredly you being hit by the "Disturbance" gambit, which is probably the most common gambit for enemies to have. Affects the targeted unit and the one behind them too, so be careful about placing your units adjacent to each other when an enemy with that Gambit is around, especially if the rear one doesn't have a ranged attack as it'll render them pretty useless next turn.

And as a general guide for the level spread, I just finished chapter 4 last night and with the exception of one unit (Ignatz, who I will be ditching once I can recruit from other houses), all my units ended the chapter at either level 10 or 11. This is me consciously spreading the levels out, so a bit more variation should be fine, but I imagine level 6-8 is a bit too low at this stage. The auxiliary battle offered in chapter 4 was labelled as being level 8 for instance.

EDIT: This is based on my observations from Golden Deer on hard. My only unit who can double with anything approaching regularity is Byleth. Half of my team regularly get doubled.

Edited by Humanoid

It sounds like a combination of being under-leveled (this is likely the principal issue), bad luck with speed growths (I can't see your unit's stats and I don't know the averages anyway so I can't say this is certainly the problem), and possibly using heavier weapons or equipment than you're realizing and getting weighed down by those. At any rate, the problems you are having can be fixed by grinding or using better strategies.

If you weren't aware, cultivating your plants in the greenhouse usually yields a weak stat booster (I don't think it's random but I don't know which seeds yield which boosters), which give you a permanent +1 to a given stat. If you experiment or if a guide exists, you can find which combination (if that's indeed how it works) will produce the speed booster and farm those a while (no pun intended).

The Golden Deer do not "suck" any more than other units or houses in the game.

I disagree with the notion that there should be an easy mode, but that is for another topic.

As others have pointed out, your units being unable to move is not a glitch, it's a gambit from enemy battalions.

Restarting is not recommended. You should try to work with what you have and improve your play instead.

Edited by De Geso