Students/my playthrough BE support

13 hours ago, IzzyFresh said:

Enemies don't really take advantage of bows that often, it's not that big a deal. If you are really paranoid about it, dismounting is so broken in this game it's not an issue

I think he was talking about having Sylvain use a bow, not a bow on Sylvain?

But I don't think it's an issue, I'm a firm "bow are quite broken" supporter, but even I don't want to give a bow to every single unit, it feels cheap and takes away variety. Sylvain has other qualities (for example the fact that my Paladin Sylvain has 30 Str and 30 Def at level 29, what the actual fuck, it's more defense than a fortress knight, he doesn't need bows).

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/2/2019 at 12:05 AM, Shadow Mir said:

And you say this why? Because I doubt they're as great as they were in Fates.

In Fates...Ninja's and bows broke the game as a whole.

Still didn't warrant on them making Ninja Shuriken's a ridiculous trump that had to go in this game.

On 8/2/2019 at 7:29 PM, Shadow Mir said:

[Brynhildr is the strongest tome that has no drawbacks, and it's locked to Leo; any other tomes with 10 or more might have severe drawbacks], and that enemy units tend to have better resistance than in most other games).

Nearly any proof wpns didn't, actually. -.-

On 8/6/2019 at 3:55 PM, SSJDennis said:

My Edelgard has still 11 speed, which is by far my slowest unit. She is currently a lord.

The 40% chance of her getting any makes it that she should use only light weighted weapons.

40 minutes ago, PuffPuff said:

Still didn't warrant on them making Ninja Shuriken's a ridiculous trump that had to go in this game.

I doubt it - shurikens had low might (the strongest shuriken that doesn't either harm the user or debuff them is only 7 might). Bows still had to deal with the usual lack of melee capabilities, with the exception of three weapons, one of which is a magic weapon and thus limited in terms of who can use it well, another of which is weak and 1 range only, and the last of which is even weaker, can't double, and makes it easier for enemies to double. That is, unless you had DLC, which not everyone has, and even then, you have to clear an extremely tedious DLC map with no casualties.

I was in the camp that shurikens weren't going to be coming back in this game, honestly.

Edited by Shadow Mir

17 hours ago, Burklight said:

IMO  Falcon knight is better, at least first. The only real downside of bow knight is the class growths are absolutely garbage. Falcon knight growths are great. Also, Leonie's biggest weakness is her horrible resistance, which Falcoknight bases(14) somewhat fix. Just stay the course with Falcon knight, if you decide you don't like it, she'll be a better bow knight for waiting.

I realized she was actually rng screwed in my game her health was 37, 1 higher than my Lysteria, 14 strength which was 1 higher than my Marianna = and 22 speed which was 3 lower than my Hilda, though I think my Hilda is blessed because has the highest strength, 2nd highest speed only slower than Petra  and 3rd highest dex in my squad, her dex is also higher than Leonie. I’ve since given Leonie some strength boosts and I might try to broken weapon grind mercenary so she can get vantage and at least focus on doubling enemies when low on health. 

Hilda as a Wyvern master is amazing. She is just a one shot god even against monsters and her crest procs all the time. Right now I have an accuracy ring on her and I never worry about missing. Plus she has her hero axe for even more damage.

4 hours ago, PuffPuff said:

Nearly any proof wpns didn't, actually. -.-

The 40% chance of her getting any makes it that she should use only light weighted weapons.

Don't start talking with Levant (Shadow Mir) about Fates - just don't.

On-topic: Edelgard as a Fortress Knight was a great decision after all - she never doubled, but she was fast enough to preclude getting doubled and her strength plus combat arts was so massive that she one-shot almost anything save beasts, but nothing can ever one-shot those so it's not really fair to say this makes her bad in this class.

The only real issues are middling res (not bad, certainly, but far from ideal) and 4 mov, but the former is fixed with Hubert's Rally (if he doesn't attack that turn) or just giving her all the res flowers you can grow, and the latter is fixed with Stride/Dancer/Warp shenanigans. I'll have to try her out in Wyvern eventually to compare, after my next BE playthrough where I'll be making her a Gremory to see if her spell lists hold up to reality.

Almost at the point to pick the "dancer" who is most suited?

Uses magic, right? Should I pick Annette, who I have not been using, but has a highish level and decent stats? Or just someone from my base team?

I don't think a dancer should attack / support but rather just dance every single turn XD

1 hour ago, SSJDennis said:

Almost at the point to pick the "dancer" who is most suited?

Uses magic, right? Should I pick Annette, who I have not been using, but has a highish level and decent stats? Or just someone from my base team?

I don't think a dancer should attack / support but rather just dance every single turn XD

In my opinion, dancer is best reserved for a late game unit that has potentially long range white magic that has been under performing. Flayn is a nature best candidate for many people as she will fill your 10th slot if you never recruited anyone and be underleveled and has 3 good situational long range magic uses. Rescue, Fortify, and Restore. By this point most teams have some white magic and black magic dedicated user in their ranks. Linhardt/Hubert/Dorothea. Lyshthiea Marianne. Annette/Mercedes.

As an auxiliary based effect you want it on a non-combat unit.

Edited by Vorena

7 minutes ago, SSJDennis said:

Wouldn't Manuella be a better option then? She should get Warp, right? Or will she be unable to get the class?

Only students can become dancers.

I just want to hop in and say the Lysithea is one of the most busted Mages I've ever used in Fire Emblem. I just finished the Golden Deer route and holy christ. She's worth getting, make her a gremory. Dropping ~60 damage at 4-5 range reliably is insane. 

9 hours ago, Vorena said:

In my opinion, dancer is best reserved for a late game unit that has potentially long range white magic that has been under performing. Flayn is a nature best candidate for many people as she will fill your 10th slot if you never recruited anyone and be underleveled and has 3 good situational long range magic uses. Rescue, Fortify, and Restore. By this point most teams have some white magic and black magic dedicated user in their ranks. Linhardt/Hubert/Dorothea. Lyshthiea Marianne. Annette/Mercedes.

As an auxiliary based effect you want it on a non-combat unit.

I have used dancer on Flayn, for those exact reasons, Mercedes and Linhardt are strong contenders as well (both have physic) since neither of them have strong offensive spell books.  For any of them three, give them a C-rank in swords (easier for Flayn/Linhardt), the Monk Batallion with Stride, the March Ring, and a Levin sword for defense as needed.  Turn 1 you can Gambit to boost everyone's movement.  The March Ring allows them to catch up with the group later for dancing.

I think Annette theoretically the best dancer. I haven't tried her yet, but of the good candidates, she's the only one with strength in Authority, which means she gets Opera Co. Volunteers(B) or Blue Lion Dancers(A) faster.

16 minutes ago, Burklight said:

I think Annette theoretically the best dancer. I haven't tried her yet, but of the good candidates, she's the only one with strength in Authority, which means she gets Opera Co. Volunteers(B) or Blue Lion Dancers(A) faster.

That's a fair point, but (1) Annette's crest, access to Abraxus AND Excalibur, Axe proficiency for her Relic (Crusher) and Bolt Axe, and weaker healing spell book pushes her towards a more offensive role than Mercedes, Linhardt, or Flayn and (2) you can't dance while also using Annette's Rally Strength/Rally Speed at C+ Authority.

Edited by freewaffles

1 minute ago, freewaffles said:

That's a fair point, but (1) Annette's crest, access to Abraxus AND Excalibur, Axe proficiency (for Bolt Axe) and weaker healing spell book pushes her towards a more offensive role than Mercedes, Linhardt, or Flayn and (2) you can't dance while also using Annette's Rally Strength/Rally Speed at C+ Authority.

Well, Special Dance skill is just as good as Rally Speed, which is the main reason you'd want to use Rally in the first place. And in my BL run, at least, Annette wasn't going to be a good combat unit. She just wasn't, and it wasn't needed. If there's one thing BL doesn't need, it's more insane combat units. When late game rolls around, and you have Dimitri, Sylvian, Dimitri, Ingrid, Dimitri, and Felix. For me, Felix was the least likely to be able to actually pull his weight. I'm sure with enough special items and favoritism you can make Annette function with a bolt axe or something, but I don't think I'd call her a combat unit by any means. 

The only other decent candidate for being a non combat supporting unit that has a strength in Authority is Lys. And she'd much rather be deleting something once a turn with 4 range. Also, you cant have her use warp twice in the same turn if she's your dancer.

Dancer class is best on whoever your ~10th best deployable unit is. Basically, pick the person that got rng screwed and is closest to being benched from your main lineup and just reclass them to dancer.

There's no point in taking a good unit and making them a dancer when a shitty unit performs basically just as well as a dancer. In one scenario you have a good combat unit and a dancer, in the other scenario you have a shitty combat unit and a dancer that can maybe sometimes do other things if they're not busy dancing. 

Except the situations in which you shouldn't be dancing with your dancer are super rare.

Edited by Silly

3 hours ago, SSJDennis said:

I didn't bother before, but is Cyril recruitable? Do I need B support for him as well?

he is - i don't even think you need to have support, you can just recruit him like you can for the teachers

Re: the Dancer Debate - 
whomever you chose, just make sure they have 13 charm, and woila I ended up giving it to Lysithia, which was interesting. and then i realised i never needed dancers. if i do this again (and my Flayn has enough charm i'll probably give it to her, but iw a thinking about giving it to Dorothea.

Made Flayn my dancer, just because of Rescue. Might aswell have picked Linhardt, which is my back up healer. Already level 21 and at his advanced class. Not that his combat is noticeable, but now he can at least use Warp twice.

I pumped the MAG stat of Lysithea, with this she can just Warp Byleth to the boss and kill him. Came in handy with saving all the villagers in Felix' paralogue. 

It seems I didn't do well on planning my units classes. Most units can't promote to an advanced class because there weapon ranks are everywhere....

Still enough time to catch up on this? Just finished demonic beast battle last night.

I think the dancer debates honestly needs a thread for itself, I personally believe that Annette makes the best dancer, her awful speed makes her just not good as an offensive mage but lack of faith strength makes it harder for her to become a gremory then Mercedes can. She lacks range outside of 1-2 magic but being a dancer allows her to keep her strong spells whilst supporting the team.

I would also argue that both Flayn and Marianne make for good dancers as they are both secondary healers really and lack of warp access means that at most they will either be stride bots or wasting turn one. *EDIT* Also rescue and silence both of their "Unique" spells are very rarely needed and being a dancer means that they can still use them when they need to. Also Marianne can benefit from sword avoid +20 with the Blutgang which is an amazing sword.

Edited by you_equipped_socks

4 hours ago, you_equipped_socks said:

I think the dancer debates honestly needs a thread for itself, I personally believe that Annette makes the best dancer, her awful speed makes her just not good as an offensive mage but lack of faith strength makes it harder for her to become a gremory then Mercedes can. She lacks range outside of 1-2 magic but being a dancer allows her to keep her strong spells whilst supporting the team.

I would also argue that both Flayn and Marianne make for good dancers as they are both secondary healers really and lack of warp access means that at most they will either be stride bots or wasting turn one. *EDIT* Also rescue and silence both of their "Unique" spells are very rarely needed and being a dancer means that they can still use them when they need to. Also Marianne can benefit from sword avoid +20 with the Blutgang which is an amazing sword.

Annette has rally str and spd, so I wouldn't put her in dancer. She can super buff your boss killer.

4 minutes ago, Centh said:

Annette has rally str and spd, so I wouldn't put her in dancer. She can super buff your boss killer.

Special dance gives the unit danced for +4 speed +4 dex and luck +4 so it's like using rallies (Also i'd prefer to attack, heal or dance instead of rally but if there is no other option then I guess rally can be usable)

But that being said imagine using Annetes rally on Shamir, getting a kill with her and then special dancing her, she would be crazy.

Edited by you_equipped_socks

1 hour ago, you_equipped_socks said:

But that being said imagine using Annetes rally on Shamir, getting a kill with her and then special dancing her, she would be crazy.

Are you sure that will stack? I know this is relating to a different game, but Peri's personal, which does much the same thing as Shamir's, doesn't stack with rally bonuses for the stats it covers.

5 hours ago, you_equipped_socks said:

Why would you say Marianne is a secondary healer? She has physic, so that's already above a few healers. If you're playing GD and haven't recruited anyone else, she's probably going to be your only great healer too. If you take Lysithea through gremory, she only learns heal, and she'll be spending more time killing enemies than using it. Marianne is also is a great fit for holy knight. I think making her go dancer when she has a great build ahead of her is a waste.

Edlegard with Raging Storm is possibly one of the most OP character in the whole franchise. She can 1 turn solo her final level. Feels kinda silly not being able to cast any spells to use her MAG as Emperor/Wyvern though... at least bolt axe+ is a thing. 

Other students that are great in my experience after BE and GD are Felix, Petra, Hilda, Leonie and Lysithea. (Ingrid too I guess, though she might have STR problem due to her 35 strength growth)

As for dancer, I like giving it to Dorothea, but unfortunately that means only getting one Meteor per battle....

Edited by Warhydra