PSA: Marianne's Paralogue

Is BS. Now I don't believe I'll be spoiling anything in the story with what I'm going to say but I'll include it inside spoiler tags anyway...

Spoiler

It is a Fog of War map and the objective is to defeat the boss unit. Marianne starts out so far away from your deployment location and she's just outside of the boss' range which looks like he won't move to attack her but that's a lie and he'll eventually move and remain fixated on Marianne. I don't know what triggered his movement, may have been distance as I'm running a team of 4 Wyverns (Claude and Byleth included in that count) and some dialogue popped up and the boss started moving.

Where the boss starts is a tile with avoid, defense and healing but you'll only be able to place Marianne there after he moves and assuming she's not boxed in by the other Demonic Beasts around. The map is chock full of Demonic Beasts with a few human units hiding afar including 1 Archer/Sniper. The map is also quite full Forest and Thicket tiles all throughout the path. Top top it all off, the map has reinforcements in the form of more Demonic beasts spawned, in one instance I saw 2 come in but do recall that the map is Fog of War so there may be more. The Demonic Beasts mostly consisted of Wolves and the Salamanders had 3 HP bars to tear through while the boss has 4 with the final HP bar having 120 health I believe. The boss disables Magic on the unit he attacks if the attack lands.

On the 4th turn where I was positioning units to take down the boss on the 5th turn, I had to use Divine Pulse 10 times to re-position in order to prevent a death as 2 of my units would be targeted 4-5 Wolves lurking about. The boss was killed on the 5th turn.

I think the best way to approach the map is to start by taking a hard left to take on a smaller number of enemies and get Marianne to safety with the Rescue spell. You can use things like Stride Gambit, Dancer and Warp to get your units closer to Marianne ASAP and protect her and others with the Impregnable Wall gambit. Disturbance Gambit is also good here for if your units aren't at full health, you may be able to save them from the wolves if a flyer or unit with Canto can hit them and prevent them from moving towards someone who's low.

Your reward is the Blutgang.

Hopefully this saves some people a few resets on Hard/Classic.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

What I did on this map was:

Spoiler

Use several torches to know what I am up against. For some reason when I played the map if Marianne does not move the beast don't attack her. She played as a buff bot from a distance. Gambits played a major role in controlling the beast. Maurice felt like the final boss. Few other enemies in the had had much health and could cancel magic altogether. For some reason I find the paralogues to be the worst maps in the game; especially the ones with fog.

If anyone moves in the bosses range he’ll aggro to the closest person to him, Marianne has a few turns she can move out of his range without triggering this though. 

6 hours ago, Jedi said:

If anyone moves in the bosses range he’ll aggro to the closest person to him, Marianne has a few turns she can move out of his range without triggering this though. 

I don't remember having anyone move into his range (without movement) before he started moving.

He started going after Marianne immediately in my run of it, too. I recruited her to BL so my group was different, but my plan was to split my team in half and get Ingrid to her as fast as possible to help fight the boss. Ingrid had to meat shield Marianne while my team bumbled around the beasts. Eventually Marianne got north enough to get out of the boss’s range while Ashe and Ingrid chipped him down. 

I had to use pulse 6 times and I still doubt I’d have made it if it were for certain party members being over leveled. 

I wanted to do this map without having read any of the advice here first. I just did so, and...well, it was kinda easy. I don't mean to brag or anything, but I do think you made it a lot harder than it needed to be.

First, I used torches. This revealed to me four demonic beasts in the forests around the boss. They weren't set to move, so I ignored them as I handled the path to the left with enemies that did move. I haven't been using Marianne at all so she would have instantly died to anything that attacked her, but I was able to just move her down a space and she stayed safe.

I later discovered that attacking or going into the range of any of those demonic beasts will trigger them to move, and it might trigger the boss to move, though I attacked him first and got that extra dialogue you mentioned. I used Ferdinand (Great Knight) with a gambit to bait him so he didn't attack Marianne, then broke his armor and took out all four of his health bars on the following turn. (Adding this later: the boss might trigger when any other unit than Marianne enters that inner circle. I feel like I remember getting the boss dialogue before attacking him, but I'm not 100% certain)

The whole map took me 6 turns and I killed 4 demonic beasts in total, boss included. I did use Divine Pulse twice: the first time because I tried attacking one of the extra beasts in the forest and that's how I discovered it would move (it killed Marianne). The second time because I wanted Petra to attack the boss but she got blocked by a beast in the fog, though in the end I likely could have avoided that use.

I didn't Rescue Marianne (I don't even have anyone with Rescue), I didn't use Stride, though I did use plenty of other gambits and Dorothea's dancing helped a lot.

EDIT: Also I am on hard/classic Black Eagles Edelgard route.

Edited by Florete

1 hour ago, Florete said:

I wanted to do this map without having read any of the advice here first. I just did so, and...well, it was kinda easy. I don't mean to brag or anything, but I do think you made it a lot harder than it needed to be.

First, I used torches. This revealed to me four demonic beasts in the forests around the boss. They weren't set to move, so I ignored them as I handled the path to the left with enemies that did move. I haven't been using Marianne at all so she would have instantly died to anything that attacked her, but I was able to just move her down a space and she stayed safe.

I later discovered that attacking or going into the range of any of those demonic beasts will trigger them to move, and it might trigger the boss to move, though I attacked him first and got that extra dialogue you mentioned. I used Ferdinand (Great Knight) with a gambit to bait him so he didn't attack Marianne, then broke his armor and took out all four of his health bars on the following turn. (Adding this later: the boss might trigger when any other unit than Marianne enters that inner circle. I feel like I remember getting the boss dialogue before attacking him, but I'm not 100% certain)

The whole map took me 6 turns and I killed 4 demonic beasts in total, boss included. I did use Divine Pulse twice: the first time because I tried attacking one of the extra beasts in the forest and that's how I discovered it would move (it killed Marianne). The second time because I wanted Petra to attack the boss but she got blocked by a beast in the fog, though in the end I likely could have avoided that use.

I didn't Rescue Marianne (I don't even have anyone with Rescue), I didn't use Stride, though I did use plenty of other gambits and Dorothea's dancing helped a lot.

EDIT: Also I am on hard/classic Black Eagles Edelgard route.

I used torches just about every turn and it seemed like after turn 1, all of the Demonic Beasts around would move regardless of range as one of them entered my line of sight without attacking anyone (though that one was from the left). After that, I suppose I ended up with one my Wyverns in range of the other Demonic Beasts and it caused them to move. Seems like heading to the left and avoiding going up until you can reach the boss is the way to go if Demonic Beasts are willing to ignore. I killed about 4 Demonic beasts as well but on enemy phase turn 4 it was definitely the most chaotic and not counting the boss, there were 5 Demonic Beasts attacking in that 1 turn and 4 of them would usually target the same person which is why I had to use Divine Pulse so much. Maybe all those attacks simply came as a consequence of having people towards the middle of the map as oppose to just going hard left.

Also, the boss actually prioritized Ferdinand over Marian after you used a Gambit on him? I tried that and the bastard still went after Marianne which is why prompted me to have Impregnable wall on her and other units I was setting up to kill him on turn 5.

Edited by Dr. Tarrasque

On 8/2/2019 at 5:09 PM, Jedi said:

Leaving someone in range of the stationary wolves will also aggro the boss. You can't miss that since the boss will say something once he starts moving.

This paralogue is ... really easy (playing Blue Lions on Hard, Classic) you only need to figure out the rules (which you have Divine Pulse for).
You only need to follow the path towards the left side of the map and proceed to eliminate all the Demonic Beasts you come along the way. The reinforcements of the east are arriving relatively late so you have plenty of time to get to Marianne.  Once you are there with your army you just overwhelm the boss. The Wandering Beast isn't even that strong it only has a lot of HP and still dies to concentrated gambit attacks like every monster. Though I guess you are on a timer once you start fighting the boss since you can get overwhelmed from the right side with all the reinforcements and wolves moving towards you (with monsters typically not being easy to take out en masse).

Edited by Shiki

3 hours ago, Dr. Tarrasque said:

Also, the boss actually prioritized Ferdinand over Marian after you used a Gambit on him? I tried that and the bastard still went after Marianne which is why prompted me to have Impregnable wall on her and other units I was setting up to kill him on turn 5.

Yes. And she was definitely in range because I kept her close to help Ferdinand’s gambit.

I did that Paralogue in my Hard Classic BE run and it was pretty easy. The boss didn't aggro until i had units other than Marianne right next to him. My guess as to why he aggros earlier with some players is that he aggros as soon as it's in range of a unit other than Marianne. Since I had no fliers, I could be pretty close to the boss without actually triggering it thanks to all the trees slowing my movement, but with fliers ignoring terrain, he might aggro pretty quickly. Can't test that theory at the moment though.

Played on Black Eagles and the map itself was very easy, only because they it was designed to incentivize boss rushing. The way it worked out for me is I brought a lot of torches for sight, moved Marianne out of the boss’s attack range early on, and primarily worked most of my units left and maybe like three or so north to take some enemies there. As for the boss, his aggro seems to be on a turn timer because he started moving like turn 4 or so and nobody was in his attack range. The moment he started moving though I just had everyone that was towards the middle focus on attacking the boss and he went down with little issue. As for the other beasts, I had my Paladin Ferdinand Avo tanking some on a forest tile to the left, whilst my northeast crew was tanky enough to not worry about getting hit by the mobs for much so they helped out with putting down the boss asap. Personally when it comes to paralogues, the most annoying one I had to deal with so far is Leonie’s and Linhardt’s for similar reasons as in this one.

Spoiler

(Fog of War, and boss on Hard has all the defensive scaling of Grima in Awakening on Loony/Loony + with fairly good damage output and base defenses but okay res and he gets vantage I think on one health bar and on his last health bar with 160 health he has Quick Riposte. Top it all off he also has a renewal ability and can’t get stunned even if you break all his shields.)

Edited by Kanethedragon

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, this is my first time posting a comment on like any forum, but it looks like some stuff needs cleared up. The boss will aggro if any unit besides Marianne enters his true combat range, which is visible when you look at his range once you’ve triggered him once. It’s I think two or three tiles outside what it looks like his range is. Just divine pulse after you trigger him once and check the range, and then stay out of that range and farm the massive horde of demonic beasts on the map. One of the three bar demonic beasts, might have been a reinforcement, at the very top left corner drops a Giant Shell. I encountered one phantom soldier and I tried going over every other square of the map, but never found another one. The whole reason I did all of this to begin with and came to this forum was to see if there was an alternative win condition for plot sake.

Rushing the boss eventually did the trick but it wasn't very good. 

Having Marianne forcefully deployed in an isolated spot was probably the devs just being jerks when designing the chapter. I noticed there wasn't any real reason to justify her presence there. She didn't sneak out to speak to the beast alone nor did she offer to play bait to draw out the monster. The mission just starts and she's suddenly all alone and surrounded by beasts for no reason. 

It's not boss's actual range, but something around 5 space within him will aggro him

I suggest having your main force follow the southern road, go around the forest and rescue Marianne first.

Then you can either just rush the boss, or creep around forest to kill the wolves if you want to 100% the level.

Edited by Timlugia

Luckily I made my Marianne a swordmaster that run so she had plenty of AVO. This allowed her to get up to the defensive structure in the north where the beasts are too big to get her.

I aggro'd the boss to move on the first turn accidentally when warping a flying unit in its range. It was really fun trying to keep Marianne alive after that.

This play through I have her trained as a pegasus so it should be easy enough for her to run away.

This map was really easy in GD, I just strided Claude there to run a gambit over the boss and 2 monsters around so they couldnt get to Marianne. The rest of the team got there in the second turn by stride/warp and that was it....

BL was a bit difficult because I didn't have Warp.