Paired Endings

Tuvy

How do paired endings work in this game? (non-Byleth) Is it the first A support or top person in their close allies? I'm wondering because if its the latter than some of my pairings are seriously screwed, and I've been hearing mixed things.

While I only have one play through as experience it looks like the First A support you get takes precedent over other A supports.

If you were to S-support someone then their A support partner would default to the second A support, probably. close allies is vague and I don't really think it means much

I can confirm that the first A-support doesn't automatically do it. I had Edelgard first get an A-support with Lysithea, and her A-support with Hubert came afterward. Hubert ended up being the one.

There are some things I know for sure. If two characters have an A-support and are at the top of each other's "closest allies" list, they will have a paired ending. That's how it ended for me. Obviously, Byleth's S-support would go first, but I don't know how that would mix. I supported Bernadetta and her and Byleth had each other at the top of their lists.

Edited by Sentinel07

+ supports happen when the support level has an arrow over the letter, which means the level has a second conversation (ex. Felix and Sylvain have an A and an A+ support, separated in 2 conversations. Not every pair has the + option, though). I know that you can check who has the most support points with a character by checking their "closest allies" list on their status page. The person at the top, if they have an A support, will be the one who they have the paired ending with.

On 8/3/2019 at 1:24 AM, Sentinel07 said:

I can confirm that the first A-support doesn't automatically do it. I had Edelgard first get an A-support with Lysithea, and her A-support with Hubert came afterward. Hubert ended up being the one.

There are some things I know for sure. If two characters have an A-support and are at the top of each other's "closest allies" list, they will have a paired ending. That's how it ended for me. Obviously, Byleth's S-support would go first, but I don't know how that would mix. I supported Bernadetta and her and Byleth had each other at the top of their lists.

I don't know that this is entirely accurate. I think the case here is that Edelgard and Lysithea likely don't have a paired ending where as Edelgard and Hubert do. I think the case is that the first A support a character reaches with a partner they have a potential paired ending with is the one you get. Only Byleth S supports overrule this I believe.

Edelgard and Lysithea have a paired ending!

Still testing, of course, but I think it might be both, tbh? Like, if they have the same amount of support points, then it's first come first serve.

1 hour ago, nhaer042 said:

I don't know that this is entirely accurate. I think the case here is that Edelgard and Lysithea likely don't have a paired ending where as Edelgard and Hubert do. I think the case is that the first A support a character reaches with a partner they have a potential paired ending with is the one you get. Only Byleth S supports overrule this I believe.

Every single pairing that has a potential A-support has a unique paired ending.  The order that you get the A-supports in does not matter. What matters is the amount of support points total that you have between the characters, which is reflected in the "close allies" tab on the roster. For example, at the end of my Golden Deer Route, I had the following listed as my "close allies" (hidden for length and any characters where I did not get an A-support in parenthesis):

Spoiler

M!Byleth: Claude, Caspar, Ignatz

Claude: Byleth, Petra, Marianne

Lorenz: Marianne, Leonie, Hilda

Raphael: Ignatz, Lysithea, Marianne

Ignatz: Raphael, Byleth, Ingrid

Lysithea: Raphael, Ignatz, Lorenz

Marianne: Claude, Lorenz, Raphael

Hilda: Ignatz, Marianne, Byleth

Leonie: Claude, Lorenz, Ignatz

Ferdinand: Byleth, Marianne, Mercedes

Caspar: Byleth, Catherine, Hilda

Petra: Claude, Ignatz, Byleth

Mercedes: Byleth, Lorenz, Ferdinand

Annette: Byleth, Claude, Caspar

Ingrid: Ignatz, Claude, Raphael

Seteth: Hilda, Byleth, (Flayn)

Flayn: Byleth, Claude, Raphael

Hanneman: Byleth, Lysithea, Marianne

Manuela: Byleth, Lorenz, (Flayn)

Alois: Byleth, Leonie, (Shamir)

Catherine: Byleth, Caspar, (Lysithea)

Shamir: Byleth, Claude, (Leonie)

Cyril: Byleth, Lysithea, Hilda

With this set-up, I chose to S-Support Manuela. This gave me the following pairings:

Spoiler

M!Byleth - Manuela

Claude - Petra

Raphael - Lysithea

Ingrid - Ignatz

Lorenz - Marianne

Leonie - Alois

Hilda - Seteth

Ferdinand - Mercedes

Caspar - Catherine

Everyone else: Solo Ending

There are some interesting things here that someone can use to work out to get some sense of the priority. For instance, in the above file, I received the endings for Ignatz-Ingrid and Raphael-Lysithea despite the fact that Raphael-Ignatz does indeed have a paired ending, Raphael-Ignatz had more support points than either of the two pairings that I did get endings for, and I definitely obtained the Raphael-Ignatz A-support before both of the other two pairings that resulted in endings. The only way that this could have happened is if Lysithea or Ingrid had "priority" to choose their ending before Ignatz or Raphael. The endings come (as usual) during the battle summary, and I can confirm that the number of battles/victories does not affect the priority since Raphael and Ignatz both had more battles and victories than Lysithea and Ingrid, and so they would have chosen each other if they did have priority.

4 hours ago, nhaer042 said:

Wrong. Edelgard and Lysithea do have a paired ending.

I am pretty certain it is whoever is the highest in Closest Allies that gets priority in the paired ending.

I intended to marry Annette and Felix but because I got Gilbert and Annette's highest Support, the game prioritzed their ending over her's with Felix and he ended up with Lystithea, who he also had a max Support with. The order unlocked doesn't matter~

• 1 month later...

I couldn't help but notice that, upon two characters achieving their A/A+ rank, they would then eternally keep getting "hearts" in battle just like they would when building towards a support rank.  Now, when building supports and two characters are ready for a convo, the hearts stop to alert you those two are convo ready.  Then the hearts resume for the next level.  So, if they had that in place, why turn it back on once they're at max support?  I also noticed the endless hearts don't happen for units who only get a maximum of B rank.  So, adding all this up, maybe that's a tool to help you guide the epilogues as you wish: keep making those two gain support after their last convo.  The "closest friends" thing could just maybe mean the character in question gets MORE support points from that character than the others, and that's what's throwing some suggestions off?  I'm prolly way off on all this but might be worth testing.  I just finished my first BE run, maybe I'll get a notebook and intentionally try to get two or three pairings.  One group alone just to see if maybe the "closest friends" giving more support theory holds water.  

On 8/5/2019 at 2:30 PM, Landmaster said:

I am pretty certain it is whoever is the highest in Closest Allies that gets priority in the paired ending.

I intended to marry Annette and Felix but because I got Gilbert and Annette's highest Support, the game prioritzed their ending over her's with Felix and he ended up with Lystithea, who he also had a max Support with. The order unlocked doesn't matter~

I feel like this is probably the case as well.

Funnily enough, I also tried to pair Annette with Felix but I ended up getting Felix with Sylvain as besties. I didn't realize you can end up with friend type pairings (which I honestly don't mind though I thought Annette and Felix would be super cute together).

Heck I was aiming for all marriages in my Blue Lions run but I ended up with all bestie endings save for Byleth. 

F!Byleth x Ashe

Felix x Sylvain

Annette x Mercedes

Dimitri x Dedue

Ingrid - Forever Alone

Edited by Holla99

I know its about the list of closest allies and I still have reason to be confused. 

I had Hilda and Claude both be each other's number one on their closest allies list but when the time came Hilda decided she was actually a shotacon and went with Cyril while Claude ran off with Lysithea. That was kinda painful.