Is Edelgard responsible for *Spoiler's* death

2 hours ago, Timlugia said:

Problem here is that Byleth is the true target, not Jeralt. so by helping TWISTD, Edelgard is also helping them to kill Byleth

Had Sothis not intervened, (which Edelgard didn’t know exist) Byleth would surely die.  

It it really makes me feel she’s a hypocrite, calling Byleth a friend and close ally, yet knowingly sending him to his death. Like I said, it’s her character, as long as she can get her end goal, she would do anything including backstabbing Byleth if need to be. (Or blew up Bernadetta as suicide bomb) 

Bernadetta was after the timeskip after she already lost her mind because not having a friendship with Byleth. That exemple doesn't count. BE Edelgard wouldn't do that. Also she DID wanred Byleth that it could be a trap. She surely didn't wanted him to die and she did as much as she could without getting a target of the TWISTD. She can't talk openly about them.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Hauke said:

Bernadetta was after the timeskip after she already lost her mind because not having a friendship with Byleth. That exemple doesn't count. BE Edelgard wouldn't do that. Also she DID wanred Byleth that it could be a trap. She surely didn't wanted him to die and she did as much as she could without getting a target of the TWISTD. She can't talk openly about them.

People also ignore that Edelgard will implicitly tell you she is the flame emperor as early as Remire if you agree to an alliance and tell her you meant it when she confronts you.

6 minutes ago, Holder of the Heel said:

Wait wait wait... what?

I've had Bernie in all my routes, so I don't know what you mean by this.

Am I about to be even unhappier with Edel? Dang... lol. Just when I was thinking I'd soften a bit.

In the battle between the three factions after the timeskip, if Edelgard is defeated before Bernadetta, she kills Bernadetta. At least in the BL route, don't know about the GD path.

7 hours ago, Timlugia said:

Problem here is that Byleth is the true target, not Jeralt. so by helping TWISTD, Edelgard is also helping them to kill Byleth

Had Sothis not intervened, (which Edelgard didn’t know exist) Byleth would surely die. 

It it really makes me feel she’s a hypocrite, calling Byleth a friend and close ally, yet knowingly sending him to his death. Like I said, it’s her character, as long as she can get her end goal, she would do anything including backstabbing Byleth if need to be. (Or blew up Bernadetta as suicide bomb)

It's hard to tell whether she made it a trap or not, but I would assume not. The revenge sort of acts as a microcosm of Edelgard's own revenge plan on TWISITD.

Even Edelgard's speech before follows her own philosophy. She pretty much tells you she won't be there to cry with you but she will be there to help you move forward. Something akin to her own beliefs and tries to help you by giving TWISDIT's location and something goes awry similarly to a later part in Edelgard's story. I think it makes more sense for her to help you get revenge rather than try to kill you.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

In the battle between the three factions after the timeskip, if Edelgard is defeated before Bernadetta, she kills Bernadetta. At least in the BL route, don't know about the GD path.

And just when I thought I couldn't despise this character more.

1 hour ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

And just when I thought I couldn't despise this character more.

I would like to ask if there is some kind of confirmation about this.

Because I only remember the thing about Edelgard burning the wodden thing where Bernadetta is standing, turning that section of the map in a hazard zone (but as far as I remember, Bernie's spot it's actually the only one that doesn't turn into a hazard zone).

Edited by Troykv

Thought she only lit it on fire after you killed Bernadetta. It's literally the first thing I do on that map. I canto'd the hell out of there knowing what was gonna happen the second time around and let the other side deal with that mess.

The game could have her do it if you kill her before Bernadetta and the other commander on the field, I guess, if you go in a really round about way to get to her first on a flier or something... and somehow not get hit by the bow fire.

Edited by Crysta

Also remember that Edelgard in the BL route is WAY different from Edelgard in BE and other routes I guess. So she is a very different person in that route and already has fallen to being a mercyless person controlled by TWSITD. She isn't herself on that route and loses every person who could have safed her.

51 minutes ago, Crysta said:

Thought she only lit it on fire after you killed Bernadetta.

The game could have her do it if you kill her before Bernadetta and the other commander on the field, I guess, if you go in a really round about way to get to her first on a flier or something... and somehow not get hit by the bow fire.

She lits fire before Bernadette dies in my playthrough. I avoid the platform, and kingdom soldiers overran the platform when it blew up with Bernadette still on it. Edelgard also has a quote about they fell into the trap. 

Edited by Timlugia

Interesting. I did get that dialogue but no one was on the platform yet so brilliant plan Edelgard.

Though the GDs did mindlessly just wander through the flames to get to me.

EDIT: It seems to trigger when the other troops invade the platform, strangely enough. And the ballistae tile doesn't seem to be on fire lol (deals no damage to the unit that happens to be there). Everyone else is roasted, though, including her own troops soooo I'm not sure if this discovery really changes much.

Edited by Crysta

It is rather weird that such an event wouldn't be locked behind the condition that their ballista user is still alive, but I'm not entirely sure it's a deliberate act as far as writing goes to kill Bernie but rather just a quirk of the game. That battle already didn't make a whole lot of sense.

I'll say yes. She was involved by simply supporting and enabling the group but she wasn't directly the one that approved it either. In any case, there are also times that Edegard did plan on killing her fellow students in the first chapter (Hiring Kostas) so I'm not too shy about her sharing in the blame.

On 8/18/2019 at 2:38 PM, CyberNinja said:

Edelgard can't read Byleth and has severe trust issues. She assumed he was lying if you chose to ally and will confront you later as Edelgard. If you say you were telling the truth she will use her surprised/sweatfrop sprite. This shows that she was surprised and misread you completely, even unhappy at the realization that she effectively threw away her chance at an alliance with her professor which was a major goal. She essentially implies she's the emperor and promises a reveal soon as a way to salvage this but then Jerald and the rest happens.

To be fair, Byleth is pretty emotionless so of course hes hard to read.

16 hours ago, axlorg89 said:

I'll say yes. She was involved by simply supporting and enabling the group but she wasn't directly the one that approved it either. In any case, there are also times that Edegard did plan on killing her fellow students in the first chapter (Hiring Kostas) so I'm not too shy about her sharing in the blame. 

DId they ever confirm that her plan was to kill the studends with Kostas? Why should she do it, especially since she would be targeted too? She would have died to if Byleth wasn't there with his time powers. I'm pretty sure she just wanted to get ride of the teacher to make Jeritza the new class teacher (which would have been happened if Byleth didn't turned up, Caspar says so in the monastery).

Edited by Hauke

4 hours ago, Hauke said:

DId they ever confirm that her plan was to kill the studends with Kostas?

Quote from the cutscene:

Kostas: What is this nonsense?! All I was told was to kill as many noble pipsqueaks as possible! No one said anything about the Knights of damned Seiros being on our trail!

Flame Emperor: You have proven yourself worthless. Distracted by something so trivial. I had hoped you would achieve your goal despite the setback. But now a child of the knights' former captain is in play. How interesting.

As you can see, the Flame Emperor told them to kill as many nobles, which means it wasn't limited to just Dimitri and Claude. The bandits were told to kill their friends as well likely because Edelgard didn't want to make it seem like an obvious assassination attempt (if she was the only one to survive).

I'm not really sure how well-played that plot point is in general. While Edelgard has good reason to want Claude assassinated (since the story implies control of the Alliance would fall to her allies in Gloucester if he was out of the picture), she seems to completely abandon that plan for the rest of the year when there are plenty of other opportunities. Also, an indiscriminate "kill as many noble pipsqueaks as possible" seems inefficient for her; she cares about not letting the bodies of innocents piles up even though she'll obviously do it when she deems absolutely necessary. I was hoping for a bit of a more satisfying explanation from the game.

As has been observed elsewhere the game's opening doesn't make the largest amount of sense plotwise, unfortunately.

Edited by Dark Holy Elf

Oh yeah the opening fight is just nonsensical, and in many ways completely out of character for the Flame Emperor. Throughout the rest of the semester, Edelgard never goes out of her way to kill specific people. Also the plan is just plain sloppy in general for her.

49 minutes ago, Hunter Nightblood said:

Throughout the rest of the semester, Edelgard never goes out of her way to kill specific people.

Probably because she nearly got herself killed in a process, and didn't want to risk doing it again.

48 minutes ago, MrPerson0 said:

Probably because she nearly got herself killed in a process, and didn't want to risk doing it again.

To be honest, I always had a lot of trouble believing she was in any danger, especially when you learn her true identity.

I think Byleth just jumped in because he's a shonen hero and those aren't the brightest (he makes the same stupid mistake with Solon).

Edited by Hekselka

1 minute ago, Hekselka said:

To be honest, I always had a lot of trouble believing she was in any danger, especially when you learn her true identity.

It's hard to say. She only had her dagger out at the time, and I doubt that either of her crests would help her in that situation.

5 minutes ago, MrPerson0 said:

It's hard to say. She only had her dagger out at the time, and I doubt that either of her crests would help her in that situation.

Well it's not Fire Emblem Fates, so its not like she has Weapon Triangle disadvantage anymore.

It is weird I admit. Isn't really explained on other than Claude being one of her targets, but to say it indiscriminately is weird. I guess in the case Kostas got captured, she wouldn't want her plans to be outed specifically. In any case, there's no proper explanation.

I really don't beliefe she wanted Claude and Dimitri killed specifically. And bring herself in danger too. Caspar even mentioned that the new teacher would have been Jeritza. Also Ferdinadnd asked in one month if anybody of the three did know there were mercenaries in this area.  So my idea how it was, is, that Edelgard ordered Kostas to kill the Teacher. But she did know that Jeralts mercenaries would be there and that Claude, Dimitri and she would be safe because of that. She wanted to get ride of the teacher so that Jeritza would take over as new class teacher, which would make it easier for her to infiltrate the school, since this would basically make her ally her class teacher. Otherwise the whole stuff wouldn't make much sense. There is no reason for Edelgard to order Kostas to kill Dimitri and Claude at all. She doesn't seem like somebody who would kill them in that way. Especially not Dimitri.