What are your thoughts on Edelgard? *SPOILERS*

Edelgard is a poor candidate for character growth because you get the impression she's already thought about all the moral conundrums before she commits to her plan.

If she suddenly started second guessing herself, after all she's already done, it'd feel weird and inorganic.

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Crysta said:

Edelgard is a poor candidate for character growth because you get the impression she's already thought about all the moral conundrums before she commits to her plan.

If she suddenly started second guessing herself, after all she's already done, it'd feel weird and inorganic.

Agreed. I’d probably have less respect for her if she started second guessing herself especially since she started the whole mess. Her story is mainly about “let’s see the other side” and I kind of like how committed she was.

I just wouldn’t personally advocate for a lot of crap she does after seeing the other routes, just like how I wouldn’t try to justify a lot of things the other characters do either just because their life/reasoning is sympathetic. 

Edited by MessengerIris

14 hours ago, Crysta said:

Edelgard fans seem intent on vilifying Rhea more than they have to and Dimitri fans seem to intent on vilifying Edelgard more than they have to in order to justify why their fav is less morally suspect than the others. And they get mad when the other camp attempts to justify the behavior of the bad guy in their respective routes. As a Claude fan who doesn't have any particular emotional attachment to either, it's fascinating to watch unfold lol

Dimitri is a better person because the game does make it obvious he's so far gone after the time skip but his route throws him a poorly executed redemption arc, while with Edelgard it seems they're more intent on humanizing what starts as a villainous character (the game literally opens with an assassination attempt she orchestrated). Can't make the judgment call on which route does their aim better because I've only played through one and I'm skimming through another (class is starting soon and I don't think I can drop in another 50 hours in gameplay), but I don't think you can expect their stories to be handled the same way and have a viable morally gray route.

Then again I could see people choosing the blatant Darth Vader route just for the funsies. You're probably not going to get the same "they did nothing wrong!" arguments, though.

You're just saying that because you can safely sit on you throne knowing you've got the best route while the peasants fight below! 🤣 

Spoiler

Claude the memelord that just so happens to be the "kill em all and let the goddess sort them out" route

Shes easily my favorite Lord in the franchise. After i played GD i was scared that we wouldnt actually play at the side of a more ruthless lord so Edelgard's route was what actually satisfied most expectations i had of the game.

A villain, but a well-written one with understandable motives, even if her methods are too extreme. It feels really nice to have a lord like this, and it's a welcome addition as I believe many lords throughout the series share too many similarities even if they're not clones. 

I've not played Genealogy of the Holy War, but it gives me the impression that Edelgard works kind of like a protagonist version of Arvis.

16 minutes ago, wonchwonch said:

One question: Why can't Edelgard wield the sword of the creator??? I really wanted her to be the user of it since I made by Byleth a magic user. 

Spoiler

Because the sword of the creator lacks its crest stone.

14 minutes ago, Thane said:

A villain, but a well-written one with understandable motives, even if her methods are too extreme. It feels really nice to have a lord like this, and it's a welcome addition as I believe many lords throughout the series share too many similarities even if they're not clones. 

I've not played Genealogy of the Holy War, but it gives me the impression that Edelgard works kind of like a protagonist version of Arvis.

She definitely comes off that way to me. 

Somehow I found Edelgard a lot more sympathetic in the BL and GD routes than what I've played in BE (still pre-timeskip). In the routes where she was cast as villain I just wanted to have a chance to save her, but in her own route she come across as self righteous, while being complicit with the Slithers rubs me the wrong way. I'm also quite sympathetic towards Rhea because of GD.  I hope I get a better impression as the story progresses, in post-timeskip. 

38 minutes ago, CyberNinja said:
  Hide contents

Because the sword of the creator lacks its crest stone.

Don't think that really answered the question because:

Spoiler

Just like Byleth, Edelgard has the Crest of Flames in her. Nonetheless, they probably didn't want to make her OP.

Edited by MrPerson0

7 minutes ago, MrPerson0 said:

Hide contents

Just like Byleth, Edelgard has the Crest of Flames in her. Nonetheless, they probably didn't want to make her OP.

I'm not sure how much you know, so I'll put it under spoilers, read at your own risk (but do know that there is a reason).

Spoiler

Edelgard has the crest, but she's missing the crest stone. The crest stone to activate the sword is Byleth's heart. And the sword works slightly differently compared to the other relics, as its stone is not within the relic itself. The other relics have the stone as part of the weapon, thus you just need crested blood to wield them (and matching crested blood to use full power, eg combat art).

Edited by timon

Just now, MrPerson0 said:

Hide contents

Just like Byleth, Edelgard has the Crest of Flames in her.

Spoiler

Crest =/= Crest Stone. Crest is a blood trait, Crest Stone is the literal heart of the Goddess/Children of the Goddess from whom the bones were used to create the Relic Weapon.

You can't wield a Relic that doesn't have a Crest Stone. The Crest Stone of Sothis is inside Byleth so only Byleth can use it. (Without the Crest Stone it's probably like a Broken/Rusted Sword, useless)

5 minutes ago, timon said:
Spoiler

Edelgard has the crest, but she's missing the crest stone.

Ahh, thanks for that clarification.

Spoiler

Thought that she had that too, which is why it was a big deal, but I guess her having two crests is the main part. You'd think TWSitD would have given her a Dark Creator Sword like they did for Nemesis.

Edited by MrPerson0

1 hour ago, wonchwonch said:

One question: Why can't Edelgard wield the sword of the creator??? I really wanted her to be the user of it since I made by Byleth a magic user. 

Erm because MASSIVE SPOILAS READ AT YOUR RISK (seriously, hella spoilas only read if youve cleared all/most routes)

Spoiler

The Sword of the Creator lacks a crest stone  that crest stone is actually in Byleth, more or less. Rhea put it there while Byleth was a baby. That crest stone had been implanted in various different "clones" to awaken Sothis before Byleth  Byleth's mum being one of them, and pleaded to Rhea to save the baby. Edelgard simply has had the Crest of Flames blood (maybe from Nemesis? Agarthans messed around with her as a kid) but not the actual stone or catalyst to use the sword  

2 minutes ago, MrPerson0 said:

Ahh, thanks for that clarification.

Reveal hidden contents

Thought that she had that too, which is why it was a big deal, but I guess her having two crests is the main part.

Spoiler

You can't really have two people with crest stones inside them because dragons aren't squid and thus only have 1 heart. 

3 minutes ago, 0 Def Cleric said:
  Hide contents
Spoiler

You can't really have two people with crest stones inside them because dragons aren't squid and thus only have 1 heart.  

Spoiler

You'd think TWSitD would have given her a Dark Creator Sword like they did for Nemesis.

30 minutes ago, MrPerson0 said:
  Hide contents

You'd think TWSitD would have given her a Dark Creator Sword like they did for Nemesis.

Spoiler

I think they originally intended for her to use the original weapon, as for the custom job, she requested an axe.

Incidentally, she suspects Byleth to share a bloodline with the Children of the goddess, but did she ever connect the fact that the Sword of the Creator's crest stone resided within him?

I think she is in an interesting character with background that deserve to be learned, but, I feel unable to become her fan, her personality just doesn't click to me

In any event Edelgard does drop for some people too as look here. 

After finishing the game she went from 4th to 7th.

Then also here she's the 2nd most popular female but most hated character. 

What's interesting is that Lythesia someone whose backstory is similar to hers ends up being the more popular liked female and it shouldn't be a surprised given she doesn't take her tragic past out on the world as Edelgard does.

I really don’t like the Korean poll, people are using really offensive language in there towards her from what I’ve heard.

Even then she’s also voted second for the most liked poll on the Korean place.

Not saying the offensive language is needed, but given what Edelgard represents to a country with a history like that...

A forceful unification...in a country with an active mandatory military service and a violent history of imperialism. I can’t say I blame their overzealous feelings, especially if they didn’t see it coming (with BE being most people’s first routes). 

7 minutes ago, MessengerIris said:

Not saying the offensive language is needed, but given what Edelgard represents to a country with a history like that...

A forceful unification...in a country with an active mandatory military service and a violent history of imperialism. I can’t say I blame their overzealous feelings, especially if they didn’t see it coming (with BE being most people’s first routes). 

When I said offensive language that doesn’t just include the unification part about her character but also the LGBT part of her character. 

1 minute ago, Hekselka said:

When I said offensive language that doesn’t just include the unification part about her character but also the LGBT part of her character. 

But I feel like you are not putting yourself in the context of their culture. All the East Asian countries are conservative when it comes to things like LGBT.

Is it right? No. But this is a poll for Koreans so things like that are not going to go over well.

Besides, it sounds like from the translations, most of her criticism is due to the fact that she inspires a lot of negative feelings because of what she does in the game, moreso than her being LGBT, considering other LGBT girls like Mercedes/Dorothea do not come close to the amount of hate. 

On 8/21/2019 at 2:53 PM, SniperGYS said:

I think she is in an interesting character with background that deserve to be learned, but, I feel unable to become her fan, her personality just doesn't click to me

I pretty much agree with this. Overall, she is an interestingly written character. They did a good job with her.

However, her ideals don't resonate with me. Therefore I'm unable to like her in that regard.

5 minutes ago, MessengerIris said:

But I feel like you are not putting yourself in the context of their culture. All the East Asian countries are conservative when it comes to things like LGBT.

Is it right? No. But this is a poll for Koreans so things like that are not going to go over well.

Besides, it sounds like from the translations, most of her criticism is due to the fact that she inspires a lot of negative feelings because of what she does in the game, moreso than her being LGBT, considering other LGBT girls like Mercedes/Dorothea do not come close to the amount of hate. 

Sorry but I’m not a fan of the “different cultures” argument. If I don’t like something, I don’t like something. Eastern countries being worse with this kind of stuff isn’t an excuse especially since even in the Western side of the world we’re still not doing a great a job in regards to LGBT people.

You’re right that there’s more people that dislike her for other reasons. That doesn’t mean that I can’t dislike people who voted against her because she’s the first Bisexual lord character.