Easy Viluy Training

Dr. C

Imagine my surprise when I found that Resolve+Beastfoe on an untransformed Volug kills everything on Enemy Phase with 30-50 EXP per kill because he is untransformed! 

He even DOUBLES the Tigers once he reaches Resolve levels of HP.

Nolan might reign supreme with Bowgun Beast Foe but Volug certainly puts it to good use.

Edited by Dr. C
Typo

I'm pretty sure I've seen someone post this exact thing years ago.

Also: 

3 hours ago, Dr. C said:

untransformed Volug kills everything on Enemy Phase with 30-50 EXP per kill because he is transformed!

How can he be transformed, if you stated he was untransformed?

33 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I'm pretty sure I've seen someone post this exact thing years ago.

Also: 

How can he be transformed, if you stated he was untransformed?

Typo. I fixed it.

but yeah between that and the Darmon Card you got in the alt chapter very easy to feed Volug kills here. Chip with Untrained tier

I don't see this as much of a strategy because of how frail Volug is untransformed - one unlucky hit, and he goes bye bye. Not helping matters is that we're talking about laguz, who tend to be rather accurate. Long story short, you might as well be tempting fate doing this. Also, it's a Reaper Card you get in 1-E. Though you're better off treating it as a gem in disguise, because that's what it is.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/4/2019 at 3:52 PM, Shadow Mir said:

I don't see this as much of a strategy because of how frail Volug is untransformed - one unlucky hit, and he goes bye bye. Not helping matters is that we're talking about laguz, who tend to be rather accurate. Long story short, you might as well be tempting fate doing this. Also, it's a Reaper Card you get in 1-E. Though you're better off treating it as a gem in disguise, because that's what it is.

My Volug got a Dracoshield and. 2 BEXP Defense Procs plus some Battlesave Abuse. Without the latter, I would likely have to compensate with more bexp and resets. His Defense cap of 15 isn’t much unrransofrmed but it’s enough to get him through 3-6

1 hour ago, Dr. C said:

My Volug got a Dracoshield and. 2 BEXP Defense Procs plus some Battlesave Abuse. Without the latter, I would likely have to compensate with more bexp and resets. His Defense cap of 15 isn’t much unrransofrmed but it’s enough to get him through 3-6

So in other words, you had to give him favoritism - which I could do for anyone else - for this to work, in addition to savescumming. Yeah, no. I still think it's about as smart as robbing a police station.

Edited by Shadow Mir

4 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

So in other words, you had to give him favoritism - which I could do for anyone else - for this to work, in addition to savescumming. Yeah, no. I still think it's about as smart as robbing a police station.

I don't see how this is bad for someone who is intending to use Volug. It's certainly a better method than trying to level him up normally.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

38 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I don't see how this is bad for someone who is intending to use Volug. It's certainly a better method than trying to level him up normally.

At the same time, calling it "easy" is a huge oversimplification because you're dealing with the huge drawbacks of being a laguz (I'd rather not have to hope Volug dodges something like a 70 or so while near dead). I'd say "uber RNG reliant" is a hell of a lot more accurate. Besides, if I have to undergo a highly risky maneuver just to train the guy... I'd sooner ditch him as a lost cause and be done with it.

8 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I should mention I had originally attempted to try and do a Laguz, Branded and Main Character Only run (With Tormod as an honorary Laguz..) 

Unfortunately the Laguz availability in early part 3 was so much spottier than I remember that I ended up having to train the top tier beorc units (And Heather) to compensate. 

if Im trying to field Tormod in Part 4 Endgame, you know this is not a tactically optimal run. 

However, I would say that regardless, Volug favoritism is entirely justified for Dawn Brigade.

The standard candidate for Beastfoe. Nolan benefits more from Bronze Axes and chipping from transformed Laguz but Volug barely  gets any experience while transformed. The best way to train him is to somehow make untransformed work and that’s Resolve and Beastfore which combine effectively to be paragon for Volug.

And clearly you haven’t read Mekkah’s Top 30 best units in Fire Emblen thread because if you did you would be familiar with the argument that no one hits hard and takes hits except Sothe in Part 1 and then along comes Volug. Few units provide a bigger boon to an army in a fire emblem game than Volug in Part 1. 

So if you used Volug playing optimally in Part 1 then just as well to train him in Part 3. 

15 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

(I'd rather not have to hope Volug dodges something like a 70 or so while near dead). 

A double Earth support gives 45 avoid, so he shouldn't be facing 70% hit rates in the first place.

1 hour ago, NinjaMonkey said:

A double Earth support gives 45 avoid, so he shouldn't be facing 70% hit rates in the first place.

IF you can get it by then, which I doubt is gonna happen unless you're going out of your way to do so, especially with the move gap between Volug and the other Earth units you'd have available to you. And that's at A rank.

13 hours ago, Dr. C said:

I should mention I had originally attempted to try and do a Laguz, Branded and Main Character Only run (With Tormod as an honorary Laguz..) 

Unfortunately the Laguz availability in early part 3 was so much spottier than I remember that I ended up having to train the top tier beorc units (And Heather) to compensate. 

if Im trying to field Tormod in Part 4 Endgame, you know this is not a tactically optimal run. 

However, I would say that regardless, Volug favoritism is entirely justified for Dawn Brigade.

The standard candidate for Beastfoe. Nolan benefits more from Bronze Axes and chipping from transformed Laguz but Volug barely  gets any experience while transformed. The best way to train him is to somehow make untransformed work and that’s Resolve and Beastfore which combine effectively to be paragon for Volug.

And clearly you haven’t read Mekkah’s Top 30 best units in Fire Emblen thread because if you did you would be familiar with the argument that no one hits hard and takes hits except Sothe in Part 1 and then along comes Volug. Few units provide a bigger boon to an army in a fire emblem game than Volug in Part 1. 

So if you used Volug playing optimally in Part 1 then just as well to train him in Part 3. 

.Volug's great... in part 1. But even then, he starts struggling near the end of that part. And I find him to suffer from the usual laguz downsides in part 3, to the point where I'm better off relying on my beorc units to get shit done (the only worthwhile non-royal laguz are the ones that start out good enough to warrant dealing with the drawbacks of being a laguz and stay that way, like the hawks, because otherwise laguz are way too slow to improve for my taste).

Edited by Shadow Mir

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

IF you can get it by then, which I doubt is gonna happen unless you're going out of your way to do so, especially with the move gap between Volug and the other Earth units you'd have available to you. And that's at A rank.

Both Nolan and Zihark can get an A rank with Volug by the end of Part 1 easily.

23 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

How, by stalling and purposefully slowing down in general (which is ill advised when a few of those chapters encourage me to move it or lose it, like 1-6-2)?

Edited by Shadow Mir

8 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

I went Jill actually because the idea of Jill friending the Laguz in the army is just too “awww... how sweet!” For me to resist.

Again not optimal avoid but 

1. Flavor

2.  +1/+2 Def has no ties to the biorhythm. 

19 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

How, by stalling and purposefully slowing down in general (which is ill advised when a few of those chapters encourage me to move it or lose it, like 1-6-2)?

Not by much I would have thought.

16 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Not by much I would have thought.

I don't know what that's supposed to mean. Anyway, there's a big move gap between Volug and the other two (taking into account the former's permanent transformed state in part 1; 2 with Zihark, 3 with Nolan, which goes down to 2 after promotion).