Does anyone understand Adjutant mechanics?

Kunan

So, Adjutants seem to be the watered-down version of the pair-up mechanic, which is all well and good.

But I'm having trouble getting anything out of it beyond continuing to level whoever is assigned as an adjutant, and I feel like the mechanic is actually supposed to be good for a lot more.

Does anyone know how the chance of the adjutant doing a follow-up attack is calculated, beyond supports figuring in somehow?
How about blocking attacks and healing?

I've seen reports that assigning an adjutant makes the host gain class and ability XP more quickly, but that it's inconsistent and there's more to it. I would love to be able to use this to actually master several classes.

The game tells me that online travelers hired as adjutants teach skills to whoever they are paired with, but when I try they just leave after one battle without providing anything. What are the odds that this works? Do I have to do something to make it work, like leveling the unit several times or having them be MVP for a battle?

The Healing Adjudants worked quite often, and I think I've seen the Guarding Adjudant a few time, but I don't recall the Attacking adjudant working even once (probably because the ennemies were already dead before they could be used...).

I don't really get it, either, to be honest. I never once had a follow up attack or guard occur during my playtime.
But I DID notice that the one you select as adjutant still gets weapon and class EXP like they normally would, just the regular EXP gain is halved. I'm sure you could use this to build towards class mastery skills and weapon ranks while avoiding being stuck on a lower end class.

Incidentally, does anybody know what the heck the max level is? I had Dimitri and Annette reach level 47 during my Blue Lions run and there was no end in sight. I'm assuming it's either 50 or even 60, considering that the max level in Radiant Dawn, another game with more than 2 class tiers, was technically 60 as well (20 per class tier - 3 tiers total).

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I don't really get it, either, to be honest. I never once had a follow up attack or guard occur during my playtime.
But I DID notice that the one you select as adjutant still gets weapon and class EXP like they normally would, just the regular EXP gain is halved. I'm sure you could use this to build towards class mastery skills and weapon ranks while avoiding being stuck on a lower end class.

Incidentally, does anybody know what the heck the max level is? I had Dimitri and Annette reach level 47 during my Blue Lions run and there was no end in sight. I'm assuming it's either 50 or even 60, considering that the max level in Radiant Dawn, another game with more than 2 class tiers, was technically 60 as well (20 per class tier - 3 tiers total).

99, someone on Reddit got Flayn to level 99.

3 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

99, someone on Reddit got Flayn to level 99.

Holy hell. Look at my profile picture for an exact recreation of my reaction to that.
Though that DOES call into question the sense behind this, because without excessive grinding, you wouldn't even reach that far during a normal playthrough - and there's no reason to, anyway. The Blue Lions endgame can be comfortably beaten by a party around 40 and up, without recruits from other houses.
But thank you for the quick answer!

Edited by DragonFlames

33 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Holy hell. Look at my profile picture for an exact recreation of my reaction to that.
Though that DOES call into question the sense behind this, because without excessive grinding, you wouldn't even reach that far during a normal playthrough - and there's no reason to, anyway. The Blue Lions endgame can be comfortably beaten by a party around 40 and up, without recruits from other houses.
But thank you for the quick answer!

Sounds like the typical case for Star Ocean and Tales games (said games have a level cap that's either 200 or 255 depending on the game, for the most part, yet the final bosses are beatable at about 1/4 that; that being said, however, those games tend to have postgame stuff, unlike Fire Emblem games). Anyway, I don't even know how you would level up to 99 in a game like this where opportunities to grind are limited.

Edited by Shadow Mir

6 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Sounds like the typical case for Star Ocean and Tales games (said games have a level cap that's either 200 or 255 depending on the game, for the most part, yet the final bosses are beatable at about 1/4 that; that being said, however, those games tend to have postgame stuff, unlike Fire Emblem games).

Stella Glow has that, too, come to think of it. The final boss is easily beatable at level 50, yet the game's level cap is 99.

This turns into something quite hilarious in Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, where in order to get the True Ending, you'll have to lose the first post-final boss battle... in a game with a level cap of 200 and the enemy at level 50. It takes approximately one hour for them to one-damage you to death. Better remove any recovery equipment and skills beforehand.

5 minutes ago, MetalAmethyst said:

I don't even know how to turn units into adjutant units. I tried, but I can't seem to understand how it works.

Press Y on a unit you want to field and you can select an adjutant for them from the units that aren't currently fielded. To remove an adjutant, go to the unit currently set as one and press Y. Both of these are done in the battle preparations screen. It took a while for me to figure this out, too.

Edited by DragonFlames

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

Oh, that is interesting! Yes, getting more skill and class XP per level is a handy use for helping build out the characters.

I have had adjutants do follow-ups, but not very often because I've tended to pair them with lower-level characters that I feed kills to, so most of the time the targets are already softened up and go down before the adjutant gets a chance to roll for follow-ups.

What about hired adjutants teaching skills? Does nobody have any clue how to get that to happen? While you don't have a lot of control over it, getting a hired dark bishop to teach your front-liners lifetaker would be pretty great, I'd like to know how to get it to actually happen.

Yeah i too don't understand how it works besides the EXP gains. I've seen a follow up attack like twice. 

Gonna be honest, i prefer Attack/Guard Stance from Fates more than Adjutants. Though i guess it's more of a balance thing.

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

and there's no reason to, anyway.

Yet. Maybe the DLC adds some Thabes Labyrinth type shit, where leveling up your characters higher than the story requires would be a necessity.

Healing has a pre-determined trigger, and it tells you if you X-button over the adjutant when they're equipped. If the lead unit falls below 50% hp, the heal will activate at the beginning of the next turn. 

Attack  and Guard it doesn't specify anything. But tbh, I don't think I ever had anyone in an armored glass, so Guard was never an option for me to equip. And for the most part I've been killing enemies efficiently enough that I don't think there's been many opportunities for the Attack ones to trigger... 

I had suspicions that you could grind all the way to Level 99.

2 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Anyway, I don't even know how you would level up to 99 in a game like this where opportunities to grind are limited.

On Normal Mode there are certain Auxiliary maps that cost no stamina (is that what it's called) to play, meaning you could in theory grind as much as you want until you decide to play a different Auxiliary map that uses up said stamina and moves you to the next week when completed.

Granted, from what I've played so far (just beat Chapter 7 of the Black Eagles route), Normal Mode is so easy that this is completely unnecessary unless you REALLY want to go for Class Mastery.  And the value of even that is questionable because of how painfully slow it is.

EDIT:

...Oops.  Staying on topic, I have not gotten any use at all from Adjutants other than a little bit of extra EXP.

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

I don't think I've had an adjutant do a single thing besides level up.

Which is fine, really, it seems like it's designed to keep units from falling behind in the event that you have too many units to deploy.

They also seem to sometimes do briefly different things... the one with the sword symbol will attack opponets sometimes in battle

The shield will sometimes block opponets attacks for one strike

And the healer randomly heals you (I found this one out when Annette took a bad hit but Mercedes top her to full a turn later..)

So its basically like a more fair/random Pair up... that lets you increase supports, and gain EXP (Normal, class exp and WEXP)  for units you aren't using or want to have as backups on classic in case you lose a unit or two

Edit: don't think its random... the shield one gave me a warning that despite taking two hits it was crossing out the 2X... when I went into battle Gilbert blocked a hit... so I think it can be told on the status screen

Edited by Ronman5

The adjutants are actually types, a healer like Flayn heals, a attacker Catherine attacks, and a knight like Alois defends.

E: I think I was wrong just now.

Edited by Deathcon
Stupidity

From my understanding and what I've seen personally...

Attack: Grants a chance to add an additional follow up attack if the primary unit doubles the enemy. (Primary Attack, Primary Attack, Ally Followup)
Defense: Grants a chance to reduce damage on an incoming followup attack. (Enemy Attacks, Ally Defends Enemy Followup Attack)
Healer: Grants a chance to heal the primary unit at the start of the turn.

The higher the Support level, the more likely these things are to occur.

Now, for Attack and Defense, if you do not double the enemy (or are not doubled yourself), then they basically do nothing. They still can level up and you can raise supports with adjutants (even with other units outside out the primary).

The problem is is that Three Houses, even at Hard, Adjutants are relatively useless. If you are doubling an enemy, chances are you are already killing them with the second strike. If you are being doubled yourself, then the incoming damage is probably already negligible (or you just don't field the slow unit because "gotta go fast.") Even Healers can be considered somewhat worthless if you have proper healers fielded (or are equipped with healing items).

Edited by Sire

On 8/5/2019 at 6:45 PM, Armagon said:

Yet. Maybe the DLC adds some Thabes Labyrinth type shit, where leveling up your characters higher than the story requires would be a necessity.

That's a possibility for sure.

On 8/5/2019 at 6:39 PM, Kunan said:

What about hired adjutants teaching skills? Does nobody have any clue how to get that to happen? While you don't have a lot of control over it, getting a hired dark bishop to teach your front-liners lifetaker would be pretty great, I'd like to know how to get it to actually happen.

Is that a thing? I had no idea.

On 8/5/2019 at 9:36 AM, Kunan said:

So, Adjutants seem to be the watered-down version of the pair-up mechanic, which is all well and good.

But I'm having trouble getting anything out of it beyond continuing to level whoever is assigned as an adjutant, and I feel like the mechanic is actually supposed to be good for a lot more.

Does anyone know how the chance of the adjutant doing a follow-up attack is calculated, beyond supports figuring in somehow?
How about blocking attacks and healing?

I've seen reports that assigning an adjutant makes the host gain class and ability XP more quickly, but that it's inconsistent and there's more to it. I would love to be able to use this to actually master several classes.

The game tells me that online travelers hired as adjutants teach skills to whoever they are paired with, but when I try they just leave after one battle without providing anything. What are the odds that this works? Do I have to do something to make it work, like leveling the unit several times or having them be MVP for a battle?

Here's how they work: put healers on Byleth and your Lord, get a heal ring, never die, win forever. 

The main point of Adjuncts is to allow you to level up and train reserve units.  This way, if a unit dies, you are not having to field an under-leveled replacement in future battles.  For the most part, I ignore the type(attack,defense,healer) and just focus on who I want my reserve unit to be focusing on for support growth.

Adjutant guard seems to always proc a miracle effect if a follow-up attack would kill a unit which has more than 1 HP before the attack lands, so that could be useful for keeping liabilities alive. I have not tested how that interacts with brave weapons.