Time-locked support conversations compilation thread *Minor Spoilers*

I am creating this thread in an effort to compile all known support conversations that have some sort of notable time-lock on them. By this, I mean particularly:

1) Support conversations that can be missed completely because they are only available pre-skip (i.e. before the end of Chapter 12). If you do not get one of these supports when it is available, you cannot continue the support chain past that point

2) Notable support conversations (like Byleth B-supports for recruiting purposes) that are locked until after the time-skip

There are three general rules that apply across the board:

1) With the notable exceptions of Alois and Gilbert, every character's C-support with Byleth is only available pre-skip

2) In addition, all A-supports are locked until after the post-skip, with the exception of Byleth x Rhea, which MUST be obtained pre-skip

3) To obtain an S-support between Byleth and another character, you must obtain the wedding ring from Jeralt's room when prompted by the game during Chapter 10. If you do so, on the very final day of your route, before the final level, you will have the option of choosing which character to S-support from a list of all compatible characters you have an existing A-support with.

Here are all the other support conversations that have some sort of time-lock that I have noticed (list is hidden due to length):

Spoiler

Must be obtained pre-skip

Byleth x Claude B (but not B+)

Dimitri x Felix C

Dedue x Shamir C

Claude x Lorenz C

Ashe x Marianne C

Anette x Ingrid C

Locked until after time-skip

Byleth x Ferdinand B

Byleth x Caspar B

Byleth x Alois B

Byleth x Shamir B

Dedue x Felix B (also see below about Dedue)

Unique Circumstances

Byleth x Edelgard - C and C+ must be obtained before Chapter 11 to have the option to continue Edelgard’s route (and therefore continue all of her and Hubert’s support chains)

Byleth x Rhea- C is only available during Chapters 5 through 9; B is only available during Chapters 6 through 9; A can only be obtained in Chapters 11 or 12 (only Chapter 11 on Edelgard’s route) [[Also, this is the only one of Byleth's support chains that must be activated through the Support Menu (just like the non-Byleth supports)]]

Byleth x Leonie - C must be obtained before end of Chapter 9; B cannot be obtained until after Chapter 9

Ashe x Catherine - You must complete their paralogue (available pre-skip only) to be able to begin the support (support chain itself can be completed any time after that)

Ashe x Felix B - Also requires Ashe x Catherine paralogue (support itself is not otherwise time-locked)

Dedue - You must complete his paralogue (and save at least half the Duscur soldiers????) for him to rejoin you post-skip (and therefore allow you to get his A and S supports)

Gilbert is only able to participate in support conversations on the Blue Lions route

Gilbert x Catherine C ; Lorenz x Catherine C and B - On the Blue Lions route, these are only available before the point during Chapter 16 when Catherine returns to her family to request support (?) Because Lorenz (if recruited) does not rejoin you until Chapter 16, his first two supports with Catherine are more or less pre-skip only

Ingrid x Seteth A+ (and therefore ending) - Blue Lions only

Glitches (?)

On new Game Plus, if you access the holy tomb through the Amiibo Gazebo, it appears that the game cuts off some supports that can only be obtained early on (like Byleth x Dimitri C or Byleth x Rhea)

Edited by Moonlit Knight

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hubert and Shamir C rank unlocks in chapter 11. Same for Edelgard's B with Byleth. Also considering the... circumstances, I guess we could say that you must get Edelgard' C and C+ before chapter 11, if you want to see it progress further.

btw does this influence what you can get with renown in NG+? Or could I theoretically buy up until A with, say, Ferdinand, in chapter 1 and recruit him on first explore?

Edited by timon

I'm at the end of chap11, GD route.

Ferdinand and Caspar are time-locked on their B-support. I'm not sure when it will unlock but probably after time skip. They were difficult to recruit.

1 hour ago, flap said:

I'm at the end of chap11, GD route.

Ferdinand and Caspar are time-locked on their B-support. I'm not sure when it will unlock but probably after time skip. They were difficult to recruit.

Yeah I'm also on GD route, ch. 7, and can't B support Caspar even though I should be able to? It took also while for me to recruit him, despite meeting his stat requirements, eating meals with him, taking him on battles one month, doing tea time with him twice, and showering him with gifts. I was finally able to get him by asking him.  Before that, I recruited Linhardt, Petra, and Sylvain. I got to their B supports before recruiting them. I started trying to get Caspar right after I got Linhardt in ch.4, but I ended up getting Petra and Sylvain first. weird.

When I look at Byleth's supports, on Caspar it shows the blue-outlined speech bubble on Caspar. But it's grayed out and when I click on it it gives me the "it will take sometime to blah blah blah" message.

So I guess you can't get Caspar's B support until post time skip? Or by doing his Paralogue? Does he have a Paralogue...?

Edited by xchickengirlx
typo

29 minutes ago, xchickengirlx said:

Yeah I'm also on GD route, ch. 7, and can't B support Caspar even though I should be able to? It took also while for me to recruit him, despite meeting his stat requirements, doing tea time with him twice, and showering him with gifts. I was finally able to get him by asking him.  Before that, I recruited Linhardt, Petra, and Sylvain. I got to their B supports before recruiting them. I started trying to get Caspar right after I got Linhardt in ch.4, but I ended up getting Petra and Sylvain first. weird.

When I look at Byleth's supports, on Caspar it shows the blue-outlined speech bubble on Caspar. But it's grayed out and when I click on it it gives me the "it will take sometime to blah blah blah" message.

So I guess you can't get Caspar's B support until post time skip? Or by doing his Paralogue? Does he have a Paralogue...?

Byleth and Caspar’s B-support is locked until after the time skip (as is noted in the list in my first post). You do not need to do his paralogue (which is post-skip and he shares with Mercedes).

2 hours ago, timon said:

Hubert and Shamir C rank unlocks in chapter 11. Same for Edelgard's B with Byleth. Also considering the... circumstances, I guess we could say that you must get Edelgard' C and C+ before chapter 11, if you want to see it progress further.

btw does this influence what you can get with renown in NG+? Or could I theoretically buy up until A with, say, Ferdinand, in chapter 1 and recruit him on first explore?

I was able to buy up to A-support immediately in new game plus, so I assume there is no time restrictions there (and I assume that later you might be able to buy supports that you would otherwise have missed as well). Of course, you need to have already obtained the support on a prior playthrough in order to buy it with renown.

Edited by Moonlit Knight

Rhea's A support is available in chapter 11.

Edit: maybe 10? The last month you are in the monastery before the tomb. I need to double check which.

I got her to B-support in chapter 6, and was locked out of A until then.

I do not know if it is available post-time skip, but it is (briefly) available pre-timeskip.

For clarification on the ring: I did NOT talk to Jeralt in his room, but I did see a cutscene where you go to his room after events and retrieve his diary and the ring. Is that the correct sequence?

Edited by dragonlordsd
Double checking dates

8 hours ago, dragonlordsd said:

Rhea's A support is available in chapter 11.

Edit: maybe 10? The last month you are in the monastery before the tomb. I need to double check which.

I got her to B-support in chapter 6, and was locked out of A until then.

I do not know if it is available post-time skip, but it is (briefly) available pre-timeskip.

For clarification on the ring: I did NOT talk to Jeralt in his room, but I did see a cutscene where you go to his room after events and retrieve his diary and the ring. Is that the correct sequence?

Yes, that is correct for the ring.

And thank you for the Rhea info: it looks like her support chain is the screwiest in terms of timing.

Also, it looks like almost all of Dimitri’s and Dedue’s C and B supports are pre-skip only. I haven’t yet checked all of them, but all of the ones I’ve checked are.

Edited by Moonlit Knight

I don't know about other routes, but on edelgard's route leonie c-support is missable pre-timeskip. You probably have to c-rank her before chapter 9. I c-ranked both rhea and leonie after chapter 9 and I was locked out of their support.

5 hours ago, Volcano said:

I don't know about other routes, but on edelgard's route leonie c-support is missable pre-timeskip. You probably have to c-rank her before chapter 9. I c-ranked both rhea and leonie after chapter 9 and I was locked out of their support.

Wait, you could C-rank Leonie after chapter 9. but couldn't progress, or you could not C-rank Leonie after chapter 9?

28 minutes ago, Rotezwerg21 said:

I'm at the beginning of chapter 11 and I can't B-rank Rhea. It says that I missed the opportunity.

think you have to get Rhea's B-support before

Spoiler

Jeralt's death

And you can't get her A-support until after. Further, you have to get her A-support before the split. I think. This needs testing.

Just for clarification, which route are you on, and what is the exact message you get from the game?

Edit: Also, it has been claimed on reddit that it is NOT possible to S-support Rhea in the Blue Lions route, contrary to what the game seems to indicate. I have not confirmed this, this is just what I've heard.

Edited by dragonlordsd

11 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Just for clarification, which route are you on, and what is the exact message you get from the game?

Golden deer, and the message is : "You've missed the opportunity to deepen this bond...".

I believe you have to get Rhea B before Jeralt’s death, and A support is available after your transformation (which is obvious from the context), then locks again with time skip

what interest me is how Rhea supports affect her ending, it seems to me she could die or live depends on your support. (Ans obviously marry you in Black Eagle S ending) I have seen her live in Byleth route without S support (said in Catherine ending that Rhea retires to Zanado)

Edited by Timlugia

so I just started ch.8 and pretty much almost have all of Byleth's B supports...I've been ignoring Leonie and Igantz(I just don't like their personalities xC)..still need to get the B supports for some of the instructors and Knights. Have totally neglected Rhea, but I'm not too bothered by that.

but for all the students and neutral characters, is it also a good idea to try and get up to their B supports with each other before the time skip? with the exception of the time locked ones? I still have plenty of time I guess, but I'm curious if you are locked out of getting some B supports post timeskip with some of or all of the students which would suck.

8 hours ago, dragonlordsd said:

Edit: Also, it has been claimed on reddit that it is NOT possible to S-support Rhea in the Blue Lions route, contrary to what the game seems to indicate. I have not confirmed this, this is just what I've heard.

Blue Lions player here and I can't confirm this based on testing, but based on the story, it would seem very likely that this is true, simply because

Spoiler

In the BL Path, after her transformation into a dragon, Rhea is never seen again until endgame, and it is only a mention in name, not actually seen in game. I don't see when we would have the opportunity to reach an S-Support with her by this time and given that she is never spoken to again after the time skip, I would wager this theory is correct.

On 8/7/2019 at 7:43 PM, xchickengirlx said:

so I just started ch.8 and pretty much almost have all of Byleth's B supports...I've been ignoring Leonie and Igantz(I just don't like their personalities xC)..still need to get the B supports for some of the instructors and Knights. Have totally neglected Rhea, but I'm not too bothered by that.

but for all the students and neutral characters, is it also a good idea to try and get up to their B supports with each other before the time skip? with the exception of the time locked ones? I still have plenty of time I guess, but I'm curious if you are locked out of getting some B supports post timeskip with some of or all of the students which would suck.

So far, the only B-supports I’ve seen to be pre-skip only are Byleth x Claude and Byleth x Rhea. (I haven’t touched Black Eagles yet, so I don’t know there).

Edited by Moonlit Knight

Just want to check: the main post removed Dimitri x Everyone at C and B and this is the same with Dedue's. Does this mean that I don't have to grind support between Dimitri x Everyone up to B? The same with Dedue's?