Things You Didn't Realize Way Too Late Into The Game

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, authority is important, and I didn’t train it till endgame like a loon. I have all these high-tier battalions with lore background from being holy orders of various saints to the elite retinues of various houses across the Empire and aligned territories. But what does the elite BE Strike Force use? Motley collections of bandits and militia.

Combat Arts must be equipped like abilities because you're locked to three at a time. It's a bummer you can't hang on to all of them like you do with Magic. Every time I noticed the "Combat Art" menu I just assumed it would be a list of all the ones I have. So when I wasn't able to use the new ones I was unlocking, I finally entered the menu and found out the truth.

Annette and Lysethia have the exact same recruitment requirements but i only recruited the latter on my first playthrough.

14 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

Combat Arts must be equipped like abilities because you're locked to three at a time. It's a bummer you can't hang on to all of them like you do with Magic. Every time I noticed the "Combat Art" menu I just assumed it would be a list of all the ones I have. So when I wasn't able to use the new ones I was unlocking, I finally entered the menu and found out the truth.

......Ohhhh. No wonder Petra's Assassinate Combat Art was just MIA. Welp, gotta add this one to the list of "things you didn't realize until too late into the game".

Edited by Armagon

Petra can't be a brawler. (Literally realized when planning my New Game+ its not just her, its male only for some reason.)

So I went through like 14 chapters as a fighter until I finally was able to get a 30% success through on Warrior. Never got a Level 30 promotion I could even attempt.

Still put in work though.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

......Ohhhh. No wonder Petra's Assassinate Combat Art was just MIA. Welp, gotta add this one to the list of "things you didn't realize until too late into the game".

One of my biggest pet peeves with the game is that when you unlock a new ability or combat art, you're not prompted to equip it. You have to just remember to do so after the battle is over. If we were prompted to switch out abilities/combat arts after we're full, then there wouldn't be so many players unaware that they can only equip a few at a time. There's no tutorial or loading screen tip mentioning it either. And I can't think of a scenario where the player being able to swap in a new ability mid battle would either break the difficulty or create a soft lock scenario.

While I certainly knew about Authority and its benefits, I didn't really know how high the tiers of battalions could get. By the end of the game only Byleth and Edelgard were able to equip A-ranked battalions. Everyone else was at C or lower since I neglected to instruct Authority (didn't really seem important at the time).

Focusing on endgame classes is a must. Especially if you're planning for riding ones. And don't keep on switching paths for your units. That's how I managed to bench Ashe and Cyril. If I would've immediately planned the most important skills they would've still seen use.

Make everyone who you can into a cav or flier. Cav archers are better than archers. Same for peg ones tho they don't really become bow knights at endgame. There are exceptions like Felix, Dedue, Lysithea, Physic users, etc.

Trying to get all budding talents is a pitfall. Some characters have shit growths in those areas. And you might not utilize said skill path because you're better off using what you're specialized at.

Edited by redlight

7 minutes ago, redlight said:

Trying to get all budding talents is a pitfall. Some characters have shit growths in those areas. And you might not utilize said skill path because you're better off using what you're specialized at.

Or sometimes the skills you get are really bad (looking at you Ashe). Though, to be fair, he kinda needs it if he wants to become a Bow Knight.

Anyway, I didn’t realise that you could heal up your units in the training grounds contests until I saw someone else do it in a Lets Play.

When exploring the monastery, I also didn’t pick up on the fact that the hourglass symbol meant it spends activity points until like Chapter 5

20 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

Or sometimes the skills you get are really bad (looking at you Ashe). Though, to be fair, he kinda needs it if he wants to become a Bow Knight.

Anyway, I didn’t realise that you could heal up your units in the training grounds contests until I saw someone else do it in a Lets Play.

When exploring the monastery, I also didn’t pick up on the fact that the hourglass symbol meant it spends activity points until like Chapter 5

Is it though? Seal defense combat art is rather useful on demonic beasts and sturdy enemies. Plus canto so you can move away. Leonie's is better tho as it's tied to a bow art.

12 hours ago, Etheus said:

Wait. You can?

1 hour ago, AwakeningFates said:

Wait, how do you do this? 

Press ZR. It lets you see all the unit's class options and you can check skill rank requirements.

Edited by De Geso

2 hours ago, redlight said:

Is it though? Seal defense combat art is rather useful on demonic beasts and sturdy enemies. Plus canto so you can move away. Leonie's is better tho as it's tied to a bow art.

The art itself is decent, but on Ashe, I don't find it that great. Considering he's not the sturdiest of units, I use him to get the finishing blow, rather than weaken enemies for others, otherwise he takes too much damage in return. An art that is made specifically to weaken enemies seems a bit counter-productive on Ashe, imo. At the moment, my Ashe is leveling strength enough  so that if he can't one round an enemy, someone else can step in and finish them off easily, and because he's using a bow, he doesn't have to eat a counterattack.

Granted, I'm still pre-timeskip, so I don't know if seal defense (or debuffs in general) will become more prevalent later on. For now though, it just seems like I constantly have better options.

21 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

The art itself is decent, but on Ashe, I don't find it that great. Considering he's not the sturdiest of units, I use him to get the finishing blow, rather than weaken enemies for others, otherwise he takes too much damage in return. An art that is made specifically to weaken enemies seems a bit counter-productive on Ashe, imo. At the moment, my Ashe is leveling strength enough  so that if he can't one round an enemy, someone else can step in and finish them off easily, and because he's using a bow, he doesn't have to eat a counterattack.

Granted, I'm still pre-timeskip, so I don't know if seal defense (or debuffs in general) will become more prevalent later on. For now though, it just seems like I constantly have better options.

He is rather frail indeed. But couldn't he use javelins then?

Edited by redlight

Stride. I always forget about it, and it would make my life so much easier.

It's an E level battalion, you can slap it on anyone, and it hits six units.

I constantly forget to equip it on units I'm actually using, and then I'm like, "Who did I give stride to again? Oh yeah, Linhardt. I'm not using him on this map."

Also, keep track of your knowledge gems, saves a lot of time.

Finally, if you're having an easy time with a map, USE DIVINE PULSE TO RESET BAD LEVEL UPS. This saves a lot of headache, but can only really be used when you have excess.

38 minutes ago, redlight said:

He is rather frail indeed. But couldn't he use javelins then?

I suppose. I’m not the biggest fan of javelins, especially considering their rather low might in this game. But yes, that is an option.

While I was writing this, dragonlordsd replied, which reminded of me of something else: I always forget to replenish my battalions. Every single time. Sometimes it comes in handy, like “oh, I forgot to replenish Catherine’s battalion, oh well, at least her personal’s active”. Most of the time it’s “Hey, where did Stride go? Oh...”

EDIT: Wait, dumb question incoming, but can javelins even use combat arts at range? Because for whatever reason I can’t ever recall me using Arts at range when it probably could have saved my butt.

Edited by Anathaco

4 hours ago, Anathaco said:

Anyway, I didn’t realise that you could heal up your units in the training grounds contests until I saw someone else do it in a Lets Play

This. I just thought my skill levels were too low and after every round I just spammed A to continue and thought it was bs the opponents always started at full health. Still managed to win 1 or 2 with no heals but lost badly in the first few and didn't bother entering for awhile. I didn't notice until after the timeskip that healing was an option heh

35 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Stride. I always forget about it, and it would make my life so much easier.

It's an E level battalion, you can slap it on anyone, and it hits six units.

I constantly forget to equip it on units I'm actually using, and then I'm like, "Who did I give stride to again? Oh yeah, Linhardt. I'm not using him on this map."

Finally, if you're having an easy time with a map, USE DIVINE PULSE TO RESET BAD LEVEL UPS. This saves a lot of headache, but can only really be used when you have excess.

Linhardt is probably the best user of Stride in vanilla BE due to being proficient in healing magic allowing for faster obtainability of Physic, AKA the bread and butter of the best healers in the game. Stride+Physic allows your healer to heal basically anyone with Physic's long range. If you're not using Lynnie then there are other candidates for Stride as well, but not in vanilla BE as the only other person able to learn this spell is Bernie who I imagine most experienced people will make into a cav archer. I find Mercy to probably be the best healer in the game due to her crest occasionally sparing usage of Physic and her faith affinity, but anyone with a good magic growth and Physic is considered a good healer. Her crest only matters during the first half of the game. Once she's a bishop she'll pretty much never run out during the duration it'll take for you to clear a map. Also, Physic makes up for the shit movement magic users have

Edited by redlight

5 minutes ago, BDS said:

This. I just thought my skill levels were too low and after every round I just spammed A to continue and thought it was bs the opponents always started at full health. Still managed to win 1 or 2 with no heals but lost badly in the first few and didn't bother entering for awhile. I didn't notice until after the timeskip that healing was an option heh

In my first duel, I used Felix, who procced his Crest and one shot the first two opponents. He took a bit of damage from the next two, but made it into the finals, where his victory was assured. Then he missed an 88 and lost, as I sat there staring at the screen wishing that I’d been able to heal him. I never even thought to look at the bottom of the screen haha.

5 minutes ago, redlight said:

Linhardt is probably the best user of Stride in vanilla BE due to being proficient in healing magic allowing for faster obtainability of Physic, AKA the bread and butter of the best healers in the game. Stride+Physic allows your healer to heal basically anyone with Physic's long range. If you're not using Lynnie then there are other candidates for Stride as well, but not in vanilla BE as the only other person able to learn this skill is Bernie who I imagine most experienced people will make into a cav archer. I find Mercy to probably be the best healer in the game due to her crest occasionally sparing usage of Physic and her faith affinity, but anyone with a good magic growth and Physic is considered a good healer. Her crest only matters during the first half of the game. Once she's a bishop she'll pretty much never run out during the duration it'll take for you to clear a map. Also, Physic makes up for the shit movement magic users have

Strategically, I'm not sure if I should put it on Marianne (who I made dancer and replaced Linhardt as primary support mage) or Dorothea (who has the best long-range magic options. I keep not deciding, forgetting about it, and leaving it on Linhardt. Then, even when I use him, I forget that I have it assigned to him until I'm halfway through the map, lol.