Things You Didn't Realize Way Too Late Into The Game

5 hours ago, Xenomata said:

If you go fishing on a day where there's a lot of fish, you get Professor EXP for each fish. That's at least 150 for Excellent Red fishes, and even a cool 25-50 for the small fishes.

And oh man getting Yellow fish... one Excellent catch is like 2k in Gold Fish. Made buying all that bait over the months worth it to reach A+ Professor Rank.

Oh... Well then.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- In trying to recruit students, raising their support via a month’s temporary aid, dining and tea time is basically a waste of time efficiency. It’s way easier to just buy their love with their cheapest preferred gifts from the southern and eastern merchants, and with lost items and flowers, getting them up to C and B is a cake-walk that doesn’t consume activity points. 

- The RNG for class certification exams resets every week, so with a little save-scumming you can get into even Master Classes with 30-50% pass rate in only just a few tries. Didn’t ever take me more than 2-3 weeks to roll a pass. 

4 hours ago, Rayhaku808 said:

Oh... Well then.

I made a PSA about this previously, but I do feel I need to clarify in case anyone missed it.

The event is "Lots of Fish" and it gives 2-4x exp for each fish you cash, allowing you to rack up thousands of professor exp in a few minutes.

Note that it is NOT "Lots of Large Fish" This event gives you nothing. I got really excited when I saw it.

I've played 77 hours ; second playthrough..(well there is some hours when i just forgot to shutdown the switch..xD) and I just noticed we could run in the monastery. I felt like a dick ; really. Am I the only one? I hope it's not the case xD

On 8/6/2019 at 6:00 PM, Tribute said:

Petra can't be a brawler. (Literally realized when planning my New Game+ its not just her, its male only for some reason.)

So I went through like 14 chapters as a fighter until I finally was able to get a 30% success through on Warrior. Never got a Level 30 promotion I could even attempt.

Still put in work though.

look i know the game gives you options, but practically every character has an ideal class path (in petra's case, it's falcon/wyvern knight) and i guess you... thought you'd try something unique? lol

4 hours ago, NeoAmon said:

- In trying to recruit students, raising their support via a month’s temporary aid, dining and tea time is basically a waste of time efficiency. It’s way easier to just buy their love with their cheapest preferred gifts from the southern and eastern merchants, and with lost items and flowers, getting them up to C and B is a cake-walk that doesn’t consume activity points. 

for me i found tea-time was very helpful (and quick). though yes in the first playthrough it can be harder. 
i just figure everything kind of helps with the seduction. (though in the second playthrough i am like pleasseeeeee merchants come soon)

9 minutes ago, daisy jane said:

for me i found tea-time was very helpful (and quick). though yes in the first playthrough it can be harder. 
i just figure everything kind of helps with the seduction. (though in the second playthrough i am like pleasseeeeee merchants come soon)

Personally I think your time is better spent doing Faculty Training to get a specific skill ranked up (thereby making it easier to recruit a character) rather than increasing their support points with tea time, especially when there are many other ways to increase support points (most of all gifts).  

I do think that the free birthday tea parties are great though, and should never be skipped. You get a free +1 to Charm for both Byleth and the character for each one if you answer correctly.

2 minutes ago, Chaotix said:

Personally I think your time is better spent doing Faculty Training to get a specific skill ranked up (thereby making it easier to recruit a character) rather than increasing their support points with tea time, especially when there are many other ways to increase support points (most of all gifts).  

I do think that the free birthday tea parties are great though, and should never be skipped. You get a free +1 to Charm for both Byleth and the character for each one if you answer correctly.

don't some units want stats though? not just the skill? so you still need to get the support higher up? 
(though again to be fair, this time i am doing a lot of faculty training. the first thing i did in my playthrough was to get A+ rank in prof, because there was no way i was doing all that grinding for prof. levels again.

I will acknowledge though i didn't work on "support" because i didn't realise for some units the support was also very important (ie: Felix who i had to grind out the support big time to get him before time skip). 

1 hour ago, daisy jane said:

don't some units want stats though? not just the skill? so you still need to get the support higher up? 
(though again to be fair, this time i am doing a lot of faculty training. the first thing i did in my playthrough was to get A+ rank in prof, because there was no way i was doing all that grinding for prof. levels again.

I will acknowledge though i didn't work on "support" because i didn't realise for some units the support was also very important (ie: Felix who i had to grind out the support big time to get him before time skip). 

Oh you definitely want the C/B support ranks too, the point I was trying to make is that tea parties are much less time-efficient than simply spamming them with gifts when it comes to that. Activity points are a much more valuable resource than gift items, and if you run out of gifts you can just buy more.

In my first playthrough it took me until chapter 8 or so recruit even a single character because I was spreading the gifts around and not doing enough faculty training. Now I'm on my second game (not even doing NG+ btw) and I managed to recruit Marianne before Chapter 4 just by getting my Riding up to D rank and spamming flowers and free gifts until I got the B support.

6 minutes ago, Chaotix said:

Oh you definitely want the C/B support ranks too, the point I was trying to make is that tea parties are much less time-efficient than simply spamming them with gifts when it comes to that. Activity points are a much more valuable resource than gift items, and if you run out of gifts you can just buy more.

In my first playthrough it took me until chapter 8 or so recruit even a single character because I was spreading the gifts around and not doing enough faculty training. Now I'm on my second game (not even doing NG+ btw) and I managed to recruit Marianne before Chapter 4 just by getting my Riding up to D rank and spamming flowers and free gifts until I got the B support.

ahh gatcha. 
thanks. i'm with you now. 
(I actually did buy  my max proff (so i can do more faculty etc early game - not even for stealing students, but because i love playing barbie with Byleth. - however will also admit I did spend 1200 renown so i can have HIlda right away to bypass the charm/axe growths i need for her so i can concentrate on Ferdinand and Caspar this go around. i will try to remember to plant more flowers (and once the merchants open up for me to basically clear out the gifts). 

6 hours ago, dragonlordsd said:

I made a PSA about this previously, but I do feel I need to clarify in case anyone missed it.

The event is "Lots of Fish" and it gives 2-4x exp for each fish you cash, allowing you to rack up thousands of professor exp in a few minutes.

Note that it is NOT "Lots of Large Fish" This event gives you nothing. I got really excited when I saw it.

Damn it! I saw your first post and saw the large fish event coming up and got stoked - now I know why I got so little professor exp in such a long time frame.

All that bait...

Edited by De Geso

Mine was definitely realizing Combat Arts had to be equipped and we had a limit of 3. I was almost too the time skip before I realized it was a separate thing to equip. Haha. Also that supports override recruitment requirements. I would have been giving the lost items that weren't just to my students a LOT earlier had I known.

Felix has a personal ability that gives him extra power for having no battalion.  In addition to this, he has a deficiency in authority growth.

This is not an excuse to ignore battalions for Felix.  I didn't realize until about 10 chapters into the game that some of these battalions are NUTS and far outstrip his damage bonus.  His personal ability is a nice boost for the super-early game, but it doesn't age well.

Same goes for Catherine too.

Edited by Roc

You can recruit characters post timeskip.

Spent the latter half of my BL run rearing up to recruit Marianne, and just barely missed her due to timeskip. Completely gave up because I thought there was nothing else I could do, and settled into the roster that I had. 

Also, as many many others have stated, combat arts are equipable, and you also have to micromanage skills. The lack of "would you like to equip this skill?" prompt when unlocking one made me think they had All The Skills At All Times, even though that's literally stupid and not how things have EVER worked. It just never occurred to me.

46 minutes ago, nyainou said:

You can recruit characters post timeskip.

Can you though? I thought there was one for every route, are you telling me you can actually recruit whoever you want post timeskip?

Specifically it's known that

Spoiler

You can get Lysithea in Eagles, Lorenz in Lions and Ashe in Deer if you kill them with Byleth (you get the option to kill or spare).

2 hours ago, timon said:

Can you though? I thought there was one for every route, are you telling me you can actually recruit whoever you want post timeskip?

Hide contents

You can get Lysithea in Eagles, Lorenz in Lions and Ashe in Deer if you kill them with Byleth (you get the option to kill or spare).

I've also heard you can't have any supports with characters recruited post time skip? Which would make sense. I mean it be especially  f**ked up to try and S support a character who you've defeated in battle and killed all their other comrades.  Even just a platonic support would feel wrong to me imo. I'd have to experience it for myself I guess, but recruiting a character from one of the other houses who are now your enemy, feels like it would be taking in a POW and forcing them to fight a long side you....don't sit right with me.

2 hours ago, timon said:

Reveal hidden contents

I have no idea on the specifics, as I'm trying to limit my forum explorations to avoid spoilers since I've only finished BL and I'm partway through GD (just finished the Ball).

So I just realized that you can check supports for characters outside your house pre time skip.

Not a game play thing, but the main theme is a modified version of the Fire Emblem theme, and I only ralised this near the end of my first run.

Edited by Tamanoir

Things that took me some time to realize, either lategame or 2nd playthrough:

• You can press B on the loading screen to make Byleth jump
  • You can talk to the guard before the ball to choose who you meet in the tower (Mr. Nothing to Report)
  • You can and should raise your professor level early on with events like gardening, fishing and having lunch with students. It's more useful than quests and party level.
  • You can also get support conversations this way between 2 students who are neither in your class.
  • Gardening can grant you additional seeds to use, and you can sell them in the right shops. (didn't bother reading everything I harvested)
  • I was surprised by paired endings (like I'm new to the series or something)
  • Units with enough morale can join to your squad while you are just looking at the calendar.
  • While the menu tells you that Byleth can have a support conversation in the monastery with somebody, you need to fast travel so it shows up on the minimap.

3 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

Things that took me some time to realize, either lategame or 2nd playthrough:

• You can press B on the loading screen to make Byleth jump
  • You can talk to the guard before the ball to choose who you meet in the tower (Mr. Nothing to Report)
  • You can and should raise your professor level early on with events like gardening, fishing and having lunch with students. It's more useful than quests and party level.
  • You can also get support conversations this way between 2 students who are neither in your class.
  • Gardening can grant you additional seeds to use, and you can sell them in the right shops. (didn't bother reading everything I harvested)
  • I was surprised by paired endings (like I'm new to the series or something)
  • Units with enough morale can join to your squad while you are just looking at the calendar.
  • While the menu tells you that Byleth can have a support conversation in the monastery with somebody, you need to fast travel so it shows up on the minimap.

A few things on this:

• You can use the motion controls to make Byleth move left and right on the loading screen as well.
  • Gardening with the right cultivation methods gives weak statboosters (+1 to a stat).

I didn't know about the fast travel - good tip.

54 minutes ago, Garlyle said:

While the menu tells you that Byleth can have a support conversation in the monastery with somebody, you need to fast travel so it shows up on the minimap. 

Works most of the time but looks like some can't be triggered by exploration - Rhea's C support is highlighted for me at the moment (not faded) but no icon appears after fast travelling several times.

1 hour ago, Humanoid said:

Works most of the time but looks like some can't be triggered by exploration - Rhea's C support is highlighted for me at the moment (not faded) but no icon appears after fast travelling several times.

Rhea’s support is the only one I’ve seen where you have to select it through the support menu like in old games

I don't think there was anything. And maybe that's impressive for clearing the game in a bit less than 19 hours. But I guess one thing is recruitment, I knew full well about it though. I just never cared to recruit anyone in my first playthrough. I don't really regret it though. Because my first playthrough in each route I want to focus on the main characters of each house. Though in Blue Lions I recruited almost every student and the same in my Golden Deer route that I'm currently on. Next playthrough I'm only going to focus on my favorites though.

Edit: Also Combat Arts. I knew full well that you could change them around and what not, I just never used them. I've also only used forging once or twice. There isn't much of a need for it.

Edited by SSbardock84