Things You Didn't Realize Way Too Late Into The Game

On 8/12/2019 at 4:03 AM, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Literally today (chapter 13 GD) I discovered how to view stat changes upon promotion (it's a button, ZR/ZL I think, within the certifications menu). It even breaks down class base boosts (which are permanent) against class modifiers (which only apply in the given class).

Wow, thank you for saying this! I've been struggling with trying to figure this out for a while now.

As for my thing I didn't realize: I didn't realize that Divine Pulse wasn't just for bringing characters back from the dead but is basically just a rewind button. That's a big "duh" since that ability features into the story a few times. Granted, I haven't really needed it yet but it certainly would have been helpful a few times.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Hekselka said:

It took me 2.5 routes to realize that it is actually possible to highlight all of the enemy's range.

I assumed it wasn't possible because it was a different button from the usual games.

If you hover over an enemy while checking their range, you can see their % chance to hit their target and how much damage they'll do.

32 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

If you hover over an enemy while checking their range, you can see their % chance to hit their target and how much damage they'll do.

I knew about that option. It's a super useful option that makes planning your turn a lot easier than before.

It definitely needs to stay in the series.

Someone told me about how you should level Riding to A+ on Dancers and Gremories (after they unlocked all their useful Faith skills) for +1 Move, especially if they have a talent for Riding on characters like Marianne. 

Also leveling Armor to C+ (or C idr) on Wyvern Lords or Paladins (any Lance/Axe wielding class really) for the Weight -3 skill.

Edited by Lunarly

5 minutes ago, Lunarly said:

Someone told me about how you should level Riding to A+ on Dancers and Gremories (after they unlocked all their useful Faith skills) for +1 Move, especially if they have a talent for Riding on characters like Marianne. 

Also leveling Armor to C+ (or C idr) on Wyvern Lords or Paladins (any Lance/Axe wielding class really) for the Weight -3 skill.

Yeah, this is a big one. Weight -3 and weight -5 are essentially speed +3 and speed +5, movement +1 is pretty obvious.

Alert stance for fliers is also really good. At C it gives +15 avoid, and at A+, it gives +30, which is really solid. People often underestimate how good that is. +30 avoid turns a 90% chance to hit into a 60% chance, which is amazing.

For example, if you have a dancer, with A+ swords, you get

Sword Level 5 - Avoid +20

Sword Avoid +20 - Avoid +20

Alert Stance - Avoid +30

For a total of +70 avoid. Which is pretty darn insane.

And just to complete our little bit of min/maxing:

If your dancer is Ferdinand, and he's at max health he gets an additional +15 avoid, for a total of 85

If your dancer is Dmitri, he'll get +20, for a total of 90.

This requires a lot of investment to get up to A+, but if they have a strength, it's definitely worth it.

As a UI programmer, the first thing I do in any game is study all the interfaces and press all the buttons to see what I have to work with. That said, I have had nothing that I felt like I learned too late. 

Also in reading this thread, I have become rather depressed as over half of the issues involve not knowing about something that has a permanent on screen prompt telling you about it.  Why are so many people ignoring all the UI that is trying to help them.

Edited by Mavoc

46 minutes ago, Mavoc said:

As a UI programmer, the first thing I do in any game is study all the interfaces and press all the buttons to see what I have to work with. That said, I have had nothing that I felt like I learned too late. 

Also in reading this thread, I have become rather depressed as over half of the issues involve not knowing about something that has a permanent on screen prompt telling you about it.  Why are so many people ignoring all the UI that is trying to help them.

Ignoring is not the same as overlooking. At least for me, it took me so long to adjust abilities and such because they were under the Inventory tab, and when I selected it, I had inventory on the brain.

No one’s blaming the game designers; you don’t have to be so smarmy. This is a thread to laugh at our shared mistakes, not to say “I had no issues, and you guys are all stupid.”

Edited by KnightOfNohr

I finally managed to recruit all students.

On 8/11/2019 at 8:42 PM, Technoweirdo said:

Nothing good ol' bribery can't solve.

I managed to recruit them all in a span of 2 months (5-ish visits to the monastery), spamming flowers and gifts until their support levels are good enough.

EDIT — see comment at the end

It seems that it's not just the letter grade that's important, as raising support points without going to the next level can also change my recruitment attempt from being unsuccessful to being successful.

It seems to me that this applies to the weapon levels too: Riding D+ and C support → Marianne didn't join; went to a battle to raise Riding to almost C (still in D+ range) and no change in support points → Marianne could be recruited.

It turned out that it's a case of Byleth getting C+ support with the students. Doesn't quite explain what I've seen with Marianne, though…

END EDIT

And now I just realized that maybe I shouldn't have tried to recruit them as soon as the opportunity is there. For each passed month they join at 2 levels higher. Since the number of units that can be deployed is almost always 10, I don't really have any chance to use students from other classes.

Edited by nocturnal YL

After doing some level 13 paralogues at level 20+ (discovering in the process they don't scale to the month you initially unlock them), I appreciate having a few low level recruits to funnel XP into.

So, I thought Mounting/Dismounting was like Trading—it didn’t end your turn (ie., you could still attack), but you couldn’t move afterward. I just now watched a meme video comparing 3H to Genealogy of the Holy War, and learned that Mounting/Dismounting is a free action that can be done whenever you want, like accessing your Inventory.

Gradivus is the only unique rusty weapon worth forging, and it's the best Lance in the game. The other three aren't worth it over relics/sacred/silver+/niche build weapons. Too bad it takes 10 mythril to repair rather than the 3 the sacred relics take.

On 8/7/2019 at 8:20 PM, De Geso said:

I used to think that you only needed one of the listed weapon ranks to promote into the class, not both.

This happened to me until late into my first run too. My excuse is that this is exactly how the first tier of promotions work and I just assumed everything else worked the same way until I had someone get one of the required weapon ranks for a Master Class but hadn't come close to getting any of the others. I forget the exact situation, but I remember feeling pretty awkward when I realised what I'd done xD

There are a few basic functions of the game that I slept on during my first playthrough. I realized how to use them on my current Blue Lions run.

1. Saint Statues - I never bothered to use them because I thought that they will take time. But I realized that this was an easy method to teach students skills and recruit others. 

2. Mission Assistance - I never noticed the mission assistance feature until my second playthrough. Mission assistance is very helpful for recruiting characters from other houses. The first character I asked for mission assistance was Petra and I was able to unlock her C support. Plus, I was able to recruit Marianne as well since they both require "C" in cavalry. 

3. I didn't know you could make male characters dancers until I saw that the Golden Deer chose Ignatz for the dancing competition during my current BL run. I even had to search on YouTube if you could make male characters dancers and it turns out you can. Still, I wonder why they chose Ignatz instead of Lysithea or Hilda (since I already recruited Marianne and Leonie). 

4. I didn't know that Divine Pulse recharged at the end of every battle. On my first playthrough I was reluctant of using DP until the end of the game. In other words, I was conserving DP when in fact I didn't need to. 

Edited by Cron

On 8/15/2019 at 8:01 AM, Hekselka said:

I knew about that option. It's a super useful option that makes planning your turn a lot easier than before.

It definitely needs to stay in the series.

I just wish you could hover over it beforehand if you know moving into a range gets you targeted. Unless there is a way haha

👺 You need Mercedes AND Caspar in order to unlock a funky Paralogue mission !!  Realized this when I realized they never had a proper paralogue. And it’s cool ! 👍 

👺 I thought Golden Deer was a good bow house but... god, neither Claude nor Ignatz have the funky Eagle Eye skill that Bernie or Ashe have... man !! 

👺It took me some pretty long time to understand how beasts armor breakage works... and I still don’t know’where to find Agarthium except Firhiad missions ! 

👺  not me but my friend missed Edelgard true route because she forgot to speak to her once in Garreg Mach and she’s pissed I think to leave her and Hubie 😿

I didn't realize that  you can do normal damage to monsters if you target a spot that's already broken and they have weaknesses to certain weapons that auto breaks a square. 

I didn't understand how hero's relics and saint items worked until much later. I realize you can give them to anyone but hero's relics have penalties to people without a crest. 

When I first started playing the game, I figured that I could promote Byleth into a monk and learn magic.  I didn't realize that you can't learn magic spells until your Reason/Faith reaches level D.

Also, I'm not sure why nobody's mentioned this, but Mage classes cannot punch people.

Falcon Knights can’t use magic, but Enlightened One exists. I was able to make Byleth into a healer like I wanted but next time Holy Knight is the goal. 

Budding talents aren’t worth it unless you REALLY want that class. 

You can new game+ a save file that isn’t completed. 

Also adding to the authority being SOOO important. 

I didn't realize the Title Screen changed until after I cleared my 3rd route. Maybe it changed then or I was just blind and didn't notice beforehand.

The main reason I picked it up was because I was watching Claude's English VA stream Three Houses and the title screen was different to what I had.

I'm not sure this counts as it's not really something I didn't realize, just something I didn't think about cause you only really get the chance to 3 - 5 times. In the very first fight when you're fighting with all the house leaders, you can take the weapons and vulneraries of the ones you're not gonna pick. 

Edit: Also, any save file with the Soothis logo is treated as a new game plus file so you can use them for a new playthrough. I.E if you're midway through another playthrough and it has a soothis logo, you can use it as a new game plus if you want to reset for whatever reason. The only thing that carries over from the currently playthrough of that file is time. Everything else gets treated as the previous playthrough *Confused wording is confusing* I.E If you're playing black eagles on a new game plus file that was blue lions before, it'll carry over everything from that blue lions playthough but it'll keep the time of the black eagles playthrough. 

BE: 156:12 Keep

BL: 149:32 Lose

Edited by KurashiDragon

4 hours ago, KurashiDragon said:

I'm not sure this counts as it's not really something I didn't realize, just something I didn't think about cause you only really get the chance to 3 - 5 times. In the very first fight when you're fighting with all the house leaders, you can take the weapons and vulneraries of the ones you're not gonna pick. 

Edit: Also, any save file with the Soothis logo is treated as a new game plus file so you can use them for a new playthrough. I.E if you're midway through another playthrough and it has a soothis logo, you can use it as a new game plus if you want to reset for whatever reason. The only thing that carries over from the currently playthrough of that file is time. Everything else gets treated as the previous playthrough *Confused wording is confusing* I.E If you're playing black eagles on a new game plus file that was blue lions before, it'll carry over everything from that blue lions playthough but it'll keep the time of the black eagles playthrough. 

BE: 156:12 Keep

BL: 149:32 Lose

Interesting, do you get the initial bonus renown (I think 6000?) doing that?

1.) Supports can be viewed in the Monastery and, if gained while exploring, the conversations will pop up after you fast-travel to any other location (took me until the end of Part 1 on my first playthrough to realize this one).

2.) This is more of a hindsight thing, but all of your weapons have their durability restored when you transition to Part 2; would've spammed the Relics more if I'd known.

3.) You can steal enemy shields, even if they have it equipped.

4.) You don't need to have the specific Crest to use a Relic; in fact, you only need to have a Crest to avoid taking the damage.  Also, Sacred Weapons/Items (the ones with silver borders) don't even have the damage downside, so a Crest isn't even necessary.

5.) Edelgard's unique classes can't cast magic; all that time training Reason, and it was basically pointless 😞   (Should've trained Riding for Dark Knight)

6.) Forging magic weapons increases the max range; this is especially useful for units like Annette (no 3-range spells but good with Axes)

7.) Adjutants earn not only regular EXP, but skill and class EXP as well.

8.) If you mount/dismount before moving, you can press 'B' and back out of the menu and move with the new movement type.