Edelgard Route Ch. 17 Mission Battle (Spoilers)

MegaGax

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, if Crimson Flower is anything to go by, bits of the game change depending on how a battle plays out.

In Ch.15, if you were to defear Seteth before defeating Flayn, the former actually dies and the latter will then die as well (though oddly enough she doesn't have a death quote). Rewinding a bit, i decided to defeat Flayn first and she simply retreated and when Seteth is defeated, he also retreats (and this is acknowledged in the post battle cutscene).

I did do that with Byleth and i'm not sure if he is the one whose supposed to defeat those two in order to spare both Seteth and Flayn.

Wow, I didn't know this so I ended up killing them both.

14 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, if Crimson Flower is anything to go by, bits of the game change depending on how a battle plays out.

In Ch.15, if you were to defear Seteth before defeating Flayn, the former actually dies and the latter will then die as well (though oddly enough she doesn't have a death quote). Rewinding a bit, i decided to defeat Flayn first and she simply retreated and when Seteth is defeated, he also retreats (and this is acknowledged in the post battle cutscene).

I did do that with Byleth and i'm not sure if he is the one whose supposed to defeat those two in order to spare both Seteth and Flayn.

I went after Flayn first and I ended up killing her by using Petra. Seteth was saddened that he couldn't protect Flayn. Later when I sent Byleth to defeat Seteth, he died as well.

NOTICE: Looks like I got ninja'd. Apparently, one needs to defeat Flayn with Byleth. I had my Byleth on the front lines with Seteth, so I didn't get that option.

As for Chapter 17, I somehow managed to win on my first attempt (with minimal Divine Pulse uses). I only had four characters in the south (Ferdinand, Bernadetta, Lysithea, and Dancer!Dorothea), and since Lysithea was the only real "good character," I had to basically retreat and just bunker down. This meant I was harassed by Bolting for three or four turns (actually, I think I beat Rhea before I got to the guy, so he just fled). Byleth had to come down and save the day, especially with those Golem things running amok causing problems...

Regarding Dedue, my main team was in no position to take on his transformed self as I was running out of gambits and my formation was all over the place due to Rhea's arrival. So, I turned back time and assassinated him when he was a human. A shame I missed out on a CG, but as I know I want to do that route again at some point, I plan on fighting him in that form.

Edited by Sire

Did the mission yesterday. Overall just got lucky. Just had to rewind a few times to save lives. Left five units to deal with the first beast, while sending the rest of the army north-west led by my pegasus riders while dealing with the mages, then directly for Dimitri. I avoided Dedue until last, thinking he might not even count as a commander anymore. Once Rhea showed up, she charged my position to the north alone, while her reforcements all tried to attack the five units I retreated near the heal tile at the center. Once Rhea was gone, I could focus entirely on Dedue. Messy, but it worked.

Hadn't recruited many students before, so I faced both extra characters. Was sure during school there would be a hard limit to how many students I could poach from other houses, so I waited with recruiting more than three until it was too late.

I don't remember what I did exactly, but I remember I took it very slow. I dealt with the mage who uses bolt by sending my Falcon Knight with extremely high res. I believe it was Ingrid. I let her kill the mage and return. I used deadeye on most mages by my bow knights (Bernie and Leonie). I also remember abusing gambits a lot, especially on the beasts. 

You don't have to fight any demonic beasts during this battle. You need one really powerful character (Byleth), the +5 movement gambit and Lindhart to use Warp. Best if Byleth is in the air. 

Use the gambit on Byleth, warp him as far to the right as possible. Then attack & kill that first unit that transforms (before he changes, in the first turn) . Once you do this, no one else changes, including Deude. You will also be right next to Rhea when she shows up and can take her out to remove her units. 

Edited by microtel

I just beat it, relatively easily.

I recruited all the students I could (eg. no Claude, Dimitri, Dedue, or Hilda), so I had all generic enemies replace them, but the strategy should be the same anyway.

Kill the Gremory. Use a unit with high avo because the luna dark bishops are a problem. My Byleth had Sword prowess lv. 5 and my Linhardt had warp, so this was easy

The way to deal with Dedue/beast warriors is a general strategy. Simply hit with a gambit to draw their attention, strike from outside their attack range to break a piece of their armor, and then while they're stunned, deal loads of damage. I had 2 bow knights in Shamir and Bernie and My Lysithea had Thyrsus and my Byleth/Hubert/Edie all had levin sword+, arrow of indra+, and bolt axe+, which gives you 1-3 rng so killing from a distance was easy. Bernie is an amazing unit as well. Her crest of indech gives her an adept ability as well as enhancement for using the inexhaustible bow. Feed her on the peg knights that fly in from the northwest as she will be an asset in the final chapter.

Eventually, Rhea will show up with a detachment of knights and golems. Her res is low though. Take her out, and she and her forces will retreat. The golems will remain, however. Once the golems are eliminated using the same strategy to deal with Dedue, move on and wipe out the rest of the forces and claim the chests (2 brave weapons)

Then comes Dimitri. Assuming you work on Byleth's sword skill to A+, you will get windsweep. I managed to crit Dimitri down to 1hp, but I still had contingencies with my army of battalions/gambits.

Of course, for future strategies, I may start off with Dorothea meteoring Dedue so I don't have to put up with that transformation 

On 8/13/2019 at 5:21 AM, microtel said:

You don't have to fight any demonic beasts during this battle. You need one really powerful character (Byleth), the +5 movement gambit and Lindhart to use Warp. Best if Byleth is in the air. 

Use the gambit on Byleth, warp him as far to the right as possible. Then attack & kill that first unit that transforms (before he changes, in the first turn) . Once you do this, no one else changes, including Deude. You will also be right next to Rhea when she shows up and can take her out to remove her units. 

Not true. I killed the paladin, then a swordmaster on the other side turned. 

You have to kill them all before they turn

Weird that so many people found it difficult, honestly that map ran very smoothly for me, I'm not even sure why, it just didn't pose big threats. Dedue wasn't much of an enemy either, maybe it's because I was very heavy on mages, but I just stayed out of his range until I cleared the area and went in to kill him in one turn. Rhea is a joke, once you get how her sword works, I'm not proud to say that it took me a bit to understand why the hell my unit wasn't killing while the preview was saying it should. Dimitri is a bit tricky as he pretty much kills everything you throw at him, so you have to find a way to not get hit (either with dodgy units, gambits, or just oneshot).

The big problem at the start is the Gremory, I can't remember if it's immune to Silence, but if it's not go for that, or use a Bow Knight to get a shot in and run out with Canto. With a Brave Bow it takes one turn. To me the Golems were the biggest pain (much like in chapter 18, actual cancer), again probably because I ran so many mages and they have magic immunity. That last chapter took me 50 turns and almost all my divine pulses.

1 hour ago, timon said:

Weird that so many people found it difficult, honestly that map ran very smoothly for me, I'm not even sure why, it just didn't pose big threats.

Everyone takes a different approach at each chapter individually, or just FE in general. It's probably a bad habit from playing too much FEH, but I like to turtle up and lure enemy units one by one. While I'm a little more cautious about my decisions, there's certainly the other side of the spectrum that immediately figured out that Warp/Stride strategies take a dump on this chapter fairly easily.
Because for some reason

1 hour ago, timon said:

To me the Golems were the biggest pain (much like in chapter 18, actual cancer)

I never struggled with these golems at all. In fact, I skipped half of them and went straight for the boss. They tried to play catch-up with some of my units, but my dancer ensured that they were safe and sound. Granted that the lack of surprise-reinforcements or w/e promoted my playstyle and made it easy - I understand why you'd have to use all your DPs.
It's just different for everyone, and that's why it's not a bad thing to have threads like these to discuss strategies or talk about mechanics in greater detail.
3H has some weird and annoying curveballs. The game's overall difficulty is fairly easy; every chapter prior to the endgame is a walk in the park, but the transition towards the final chapters caught me off-guard.

8 hours ago, Vaeth said:

Not true. I killed the paladin, then a swordmaster on the other side turned. 

You have to kill them all before they turn

I killed the first one that turned on the first turn, and no one turned at all, went up and got Dimitri and Dedue did not turn either, nothing turned into a monster, except for the Golem / Bot that came with Rhea and did not retreat when she was defeated.

14 hours ago, timon said:

Weird that so many people found it difficult, honestly that map ran very smoothly for me, I'm not even sure why, it just didn't pose big threats. Dedue wasn't much of an enemy either, maybe it's because I was very heavy on mages, but I just stayed out of his range until I cleared the area and went in to kill him in one turn. Rhea is a joke, once you get how her sword works, I'm not proud to say that it took me a bit to understand why the hell my unit wasn't killing while the preview was saying it should. Dimitri is a bit tricky as he pretty much kills everything you throw at him, so you have to find a way to not get hit (either with dodgy units, gambits, or just oneshot).

The big problem at the start is the Gremory, I can't remember if it's immune to Silence, but if it's not go for that, or use a Bow Knight to get a shot in and run out with Canto. With a Brave Bow it takes one turn. To me the Golems were the biggest pain (much like in chapter 18, actual cancer), again probably because I ran so many mages and they have magic immunity. That last chapter took me 50 turns and almost all my divine pulses.

Simple, my units could kill anything in one round but only Byleth and Edelgard could survive enemy phase. Ferdinand is useful for avoiding damage, El will tank it, and I'm pretty sure Byleth was immortal because if somehow he failed to dodge on the 5-10% hit the avg enemy had, he vantage one round crit them anyway and healing focus back the damage on player phase. So I was fine as long as I didn't end up with too many enemies that required three units to kill, like demonic beasts (three health bars, barrier immune to magic, 1/3 of my group were magic damage.) when I realized the beasts by discount!ferdinand would never move, the map became insultingly easy.

Hey so I’m not sure if this was by luck or what, but I did beat them my first time(albeit using all of my rewinds). I ended up killing the first guy to transform with two meteors, turn one. After that there was no mention of the crest stones and no demonic beasts transformations the entire match. I only had to deal with the two machines that come in with rhea and the bunch. 

It was a difficult map for me aswell, as Dimitri couldn't be killed (thank god tactics were there, and supports helped) and I didn't have any rewind lefts. Rhea was expected ; thankfully enemies retreated with her. I've managed to kill Dedue before his transformation, but I saw right now i've missed a scene because of it. Damn, I'm a bit sad now. But it was impossible for me to deal with him x) 

I know I've ignored the monsters near Sylvain ; and managed to only kill him. But yeah, it was a tough map. 

Peoples already described how to clear it, and I've almost did the same strategy.

This was a fun chapter, but a relatively easy one for me. It's been speculated, but to confirm: after the initial beast transformation, subsequent ones are proximity-based, not turn-based. Therefore even if you can't eliminate the first would-be beast unit and thus nix the map's beast mechanic entirely, you shouldn't have to deal with any subsequent ones as long as you're mindful of positioning.

Just have a high-MOV unit -- or Edelgard with Raging Storm -- ORKO each would-be beast unit (they're the immobile ones) before it transforms.

I really enjoyed that map. It was just the right challenge (the earlier maps were a little easy). Won on my first try, but used divine pulse to avoid Dimitri one-shoting Caspar with a 14% crit rate. Had no major problem with Dedue (him turning into a demonic beast was out of this world! Brilliant idea!) but let out a huge sigh of relief when killing Rhea chased away her soldiers.

I felt sorry when I 0rkoed Mercedes... she didn't deserve it.

Used one Divine Pulse - to rewind the entire map.  Made the mistake of splitting up the first time around.

Once I understood the transformation pattern, I was able to bait units fairly easily.  Mercedes went down quickly, because I wanted the treasure chests.  Dedue transformed and walked straight into Edegard's personal axe, followed by several mages.  Didn't even bother with the monsters to the right - instead, I took care of Sylvain's body double once I'd gotten rid of Seiros.

Definitely a map full of surprises, but those treasure chests were the key to winning it.  Counters are scary, but only if the enemy is alive to deliver it.

• 4 months later...

I think My party is just not good for this map. No fliers, no tanky mages, warp doesn't do much for me. Up to this point my play style has been overly agressive to the point where I've usually used at least 2 divine pulse a battle. This map makes me take it slow to start due to my res not being too high, and then it's just a domino effect at that point.