The Road to 100% Completion - 29 Playthroughs?

Hello everyone, I just completed my first run of the game, I played Golden Deer and it took a little over 100 hours because I spent some time grinding supports, class masteries, and 2 to 5 S+ ranks for each character. I have the end goal of 100% completion but the way the New Game + Mechanics are set up has me very confused.

Here is what I believe 100% Completion would require:

- Completed music, movie, and event galleries (Playing through the game on each route should do the trick here)

- A completed support log (Easy, I just gotta play each route once, recruiting all the characters, and grinding supports at the end. I can spend renown to get the F!Byleth supports without playing as her too but it might not work for F!Byleth and Sothis S Support.)

- All four saint statues maxed. (These carry over into each New Game + playthough, I should have this finished in either the second or third playthough.)

- 4 "Perfect" Save files, one per route, with all quests and paralogues cleared, all characters recruited, all classes certified and mastered for all characters, and all their skills at S+, and all supports maxed out. Probably at level 99 too. (Wow, that ones going to be a bit of a problem. Well actually, not a problem, just a ton of grinding.)

Please let me know if I missed something somehow.

So at first it seems like the plan is to play each of the routes once as a Male, then play any route of my choice as a Female and makes sure to save up lots of renown, and then branch that clear data into four different saves, once for each route, in which I max every character. That should take 9 playthroughs, a sizeable amount, but by no means impossible, but the new game + options are strange and might change this.

First, the Support Ranks

The Support Rank feature let's you spend renown to automatically gain supports between characters without progressing through the game, but it's pretty odd. For one, the support levels I can force rank up with renown seem to ignore the normal restrictions based on progress through the game as well as the normal 1 S support only limit. Nothing to complicated there. Also, it appears that the support levels come from your support log, and not specifically from that specific clear data, makes sense as well. (This is actually incorrect, sorry for the confusion) The only character I could S support on new game + as Male Byleth was Hilda, which makes since because she was the only S rank in my support log. The weird thing was when I had tried my clear data as female Byleth. I could force rank up all the way to S rank with Claude, Raphael, Ignatz, and Lorenz, but only up to A rank with Felix and Mercedes who I had recruited. It's weird that I can now S rank with any of them considering I was playing as Male Byleth when I cleared the game. Forcing these supports with renown actually unlocked the support conversations so it turns out I don't have to play the whole Golden Deer route as F!Byleth just to get her support with Claude. I should be able to play each route once as M!Byleth and then after that start up as F!Byleth and just spam renown to complete her entire support log without actually beat a route with her. (Might have to do it once for the Sothis S support, doesn't look like I can do that one with renown, but not a super big deal.) The way it works seems super weird, but I think it will work out well for completing the support log for Female Byleth.

I have no idea how many playthrough's it will take to clear the supports.

Second, Class Mastery

This feature let's you master a class immediately at the cost of renown, you can use it to immediately master Byleth's unique class and get it's mastery skill before the mock battle at the beginning of the game. Pretty neat, but it only works with classes that a character mastered from your clear data, it doesn't have a general pool from all your save files. (Skill levels and supports are the same in that regard.) But I noticed something that could become a problem. Looking through the possible classes I can master for each character, only Annette has access to dancer. In order to 100% the game, every character should have the dancer class in their list. You can only unlock dancer for one character per playthrough though, and it has to be all in one continuous new game + steak because it doesn't take the classes from your other saves. That would mean you would have to beat the game 8 students times 3 houses plus 1 for Flayn = 25 times just to get the dancer class listed in the classes available to master for each character. Wow.

So, do I play the game 29 times? Or should I not count the dancer class at all because only 1 character can become it anyways? It would be weird if Mercedes was a dancer and whenever I looked at Annette's classes to master with renown I see dancer there even though I can't select it at all but for the other characters it doesn't show up at all. That doesn't feel like a "Perfect" save file to me, but it's also adding over 3 times more work in an already huge game just to add a greyed out option in a menu. What do you guys think about this dilemma?

Edited by Popers1328

If you are going to add the rule of requiring each character to be a dancer, then I don't... see... any way around that. Someone else may know of a way, but I think you can only make one dancer each playthrough.

Obviously, no knights or teachers can be dancers, so that does shorten the list a bit.

Everything else can be accomplished in 4-5 playthroughs, assuming that you make the "correct" decisions each time.

Are the support conversations different for male and female? Thus far they have NOT been for bisexual characters, so I assume that trend continues?

I personally wouldn't have included Class Mastery for all characters as a requirement for 100% completion, but if you are then I don't think you can leave Dancer out. You can probably speed up grinding it out though, just play on Normal/Casual, turn animations off, skip all weekends (except for the one with the dance competition of course).

You're already grinding out every single class for every character, in comparison these extra runs to master Dancer shouldn't be too bad since you can ignore every other part of the game.

5 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Are the support conversations different for male and female? Thus far they have NOT been for bisexual characters, so I assume that trend continues?

They are the same, but I still have to unlock them because they are listed as different conversations in the support log.

2 minutes ago, Chaotix said:

I personally wouldn't have included Class Mastery for all characters as a requirement for 100% completion, but if you are then I don't think you can leave Dancer out. You can probably speed up grinding it out though, just play on Normal/Casual, turn animations off, skip all weekends (except for the one with the dance competition of course).

You're already grinding out every single class for every character, in comparison these extra runs to master Dancer shouldn't be too bad since you can ignore every other part of the game.

It also just occurred to me that dark mage and dark bishop pose a similar problem. I think there was about 6 dark seals in the GD path. Not to mention anyone can become that. Not just students. As long as I get each character dancer run to also do dark mage and bishop too it shouldn't add much at all. I can probably squeeze in doing both a student and one faculty/knight character in the same run so I wouldn't have to do extra runs for them. I'm also really dumb for forgetting casual mode exists. I was planning on doing Normal/Classic for all this like an idiot. Casual should speed up the maps that I actually have to do by quite a bit. I honestly have no idea how long one of these runs will take. I guess I'll just have to try a Claude run and see for myself.

I think you should be patient and wait until some more dlc news is out as they might make dancer certification farmable and other stuff. Also while you can master Dancer on a character you won't even be able to purchase the mastery skill if that character doesn't have the certification on the current playthrough(I tested this). The one thing that is safe to do without regrets later is probably preparing a high start renown file.

But stuff like supports and class certification is probably going to receive grind maps for skills, possibly extra certification grind maps and I think everyone expects at least 1-2 classes to be added in the future so probably premature to start on that.

Edited by Gwyn

You can't make a backup save before the dancer decision, max it out, then revert to the backup save file to choose somebody else? That's all I could think of.  Well it wouldn't be a Fire Emblem game without asking you to do way too many playthroughs for 100% completion. Unless it's Sacred Stones, you can get everything in a single playthrough there. Personally I would not count the dancer class. But if its absence in the class list really bugs you there may be no way around its design.

Edited by Glennstavos

1 hour ago, Popers1328 said:

They are the same, but I still have to unlock them because they are listed as different conversations in the support log.

It also just occurred to me that dark mage and dark bishop pose a similar problem. I think there was about 6 dark seals in the GD path. Not to mention anyone can become that. Not just students. As long as I get each character dancer run to also do dark mage and bishop too it shouldn't add much at all. I can probably squeeze in doing both a student and one faculty/knight character in the same run so I wouldn't have to do extra runs for them. I'm also really dumb for forgetting casual mode exists. I was planning on doing Normal/Classic for all this like an idiot. Casual should speed up the maps that I actually have to do by quite a bit. I honestly have no idea how long one of these runs will take. I guess I'll just have to try a Claude run and see for myself.

Actually, dark mage/bishop isn't really a problem so much. Remember, only males can be dark mages, so it'd take about... 7(?) playthroughs to get them all.

2 hours ago, Popers1328 said:

othing to complicated there. Also, it appears that the support levels come from your support log, and not specifically from that specific clear data, makes sense as well. (I tested this with clear data from me finishing the game in hard mode with no support grinding after I had made an alt save, switched that to normal, and grinded supports.) The only character I could S support on new game + as Male Byleth was Hilda, which makes since because she was the only S rank in my support log.

Wait, so you can save scum the Marriages at the end, and all of them will be available for purchase in NG+? If so, that's a big relief.

Just now, MrPerson0 said:

Wait, so you can save scum the Marriages at the end, and all of them will be available for purchase in NG+? If so, that's a big relief.

Yup. I mean, technically, you could always do this (ie, in awakening, fates, etc.), but it is still possible in Three houses.

5 minutes ago, dragonlordsd said:

Yup. I mean, technically, you could always do this (ie, in awakening, fates, etc.), but it is still possible in Three houses.

That was only for the Global Support log. The way people talked about purchasing Supports, it seemed that it was tied to the NG+ chain, which is why I feel that it's a big relief.

The Dancer part will probably be the longest, as you mentioned. Will really need to master speedrunning in Normal to quickly go through them. Might be a good idea to wait for DLC in case they add any unique classes.

Edited by MrPerson0

problem with dancer though is you also gotta get the charisma to be able to promote to it. This ain’t a problem for people like Dorothea or Hilda but for others with lower charisma growth it may be more problematic unless you mono run though most the game with them till that point 

class mastey you could get that orb that boosts job exp , get the statue upgrade that helps and set someone with them  as I think they can get job exp too? Play on normal mode for infinity grinding 

Edited by MasterSlayerX

1 minute ago, MasterSlayerX said:

problem with dancer though is you also gotta get the charisma to be able to promote to it. This ain’t a problem for people like Dorothea or Hilda but for others with lower charisma growth it may be more problematic unless you mono run though most the game with them till that point 

Obviously we would be playing on normal so if we get to month 11 and we don't have enough charm on that character we can just grind them until they get it.

I'm replaying Blue Lions on a fresh save (not NG+). On my original clear I did Mercedes S-rank as M!Byleth. So I'm curious if it is true if you start a New Game + it pulls the Support Conversation from the main menu instead of supports from the cleared save.

And you did touch on the oddity where getting an S-rank on one gender will unlock an S-rank on another.  For me, when I switched to F!Byleth, it unlocked Ashe's S-rank and was available to purchase. So I bought them and saved to add to the Support Conversation menu.

Spoiler

rIkb1jD.png

Edited by Jacien

20 minutes ago, Jacien said:

I'm replaying Blue Lions on a fresh save (not NG+). On my original clear I did Mercedes S-rank as M!Byleth. So I'm curious if it is true if you start a New Game + it pulls the Support Conversation from the main menu instead of supports from the cleared save.

And you did touch on the oddity where getting an S-rank on one gender will unlock an S-rank on another.  For me, when I switched to F!Byleth, it unlocked Ashe's S-rank and was available to purchase. So I bought them and saved to add to the Support Conversation menu.

Reveal hidden contents

rIkb1jD.png

I'm certain that it pulls from your full support log and not just your clear data, but I wouldn't be surprised if it only checks which supports you unlocked when you first start the game.

Only Ashe and Mercedes got their S supports immediately available for F!Byleth? Not Felix or Sylvain? For me it was all the dudes from the Golden Deer but didn't work with Felix who I had recruited. If I had to guess why it would be that you have to A rank with them first in order to unlock the S rank for purchase because I had max supports with everyone.

On 8/8/2019 at 8:47 AM, dragonlordsd said:

The Claude x Ignatz B support has an extra line in it if you're playing a female Byleth, actually.

That's the only one I've found so far, though.

On 8/8/2019 at 11:35 AM, Popers1328 said:

This feature let's you master a class immediately at the cost of renown, you can use it to immediately master Byleth's unique class and get it's mastery skill before the mock battle at the beginning of the game.

Just to make sure, you can immediately unlock a Master class for use at the beginning of the game (if you mastered it in your previous file), or only its mastered skills? If the former, does this apply to Dancer and Dark Mage/Bishop as well?

Edited by MrPerson0

Just now, MrPerson0 said:

Just to make sure, you can immediately unlock a Master class for use at the beginning of the game (if you mastered it in your previous file), or only its mastered skills? If the former, does this apply to Dancer and Dark Mage/Bishop as well?

You only get the mastery skills, you can't become that class. You still have to certify normally. It won't let you master dancer until you unlock it, not that special dance would be useful at all. You can, in fact, get the mastery skills for dark mage and dark bishop on everyone even though the seals are limited (You can't get around the limit with online features either, maybe dlc can remove it) so while the dark mage and dark bishop classes are limited, the poison strike and lifetaker skills are not.

Hmm... If this "New Game Plus takes your Support Conversation list from the main menu" thing true, I guess it happens that the moment you save the NG+ file after the end.  And not upon loading the file.  Like, the game snapshots your global Supports upon saving.

Because I loaded up my original NG+ file (The Cleared-Game Data) while in the middle of my second playthrough, and global supports didn't apply to it. Only what I had at the end of the file.

So I'm gonna test it out, loading up my chapter 21 save file and beat the game again, this time pairing with Gilbert.  If this thing is true, then when I save on a new New Game Plus file, it'll snapshot all supports I've gotten up to that point. I'll record it so we can actually have proof of it working.

1 hour ago, Jacien said:

Hmm... If this "New Game Plus takes your Support Conversation list from the main menu" thing true, I guess it happens that the moment you save the NG+ file after the end.  And not upon loading the file.  Like, the game snapshots your global Supports upon saving.

Because I loaded up my original NG+ file (The Cleared-Game Data) while in the middle of my second playthrough, and global supports didn't apply to it. Only what I had at the end of the file.

So I'm gonna test it out, loading up my chapter 21 save file and beat the game again, this time pairing with Gilbert.  If this thing is true, then when I save on a new New Game Plus file, it'll snapshot all supports I've gotten up to that point. I'll record it so we can actually have proof of it working.

I just double-checked this and it was actually a mistake on my part, sorry about that. I'll fix it in the OP.

7 minutes ago, Popers1328 said:

I just double-checked this and it was actually a mistake on my part, sorry about that. I'll fix it in the OP.

Welp. Will take much longer to get a "perfect" NG+ save. Might be worth it to just unlock the supports globally.

But one thing that is worth figuring out is that quirky thing, where getting an S-rank also unlocks one for another gender.

Here's the one about Ashe being unlocked because I got the Mercedes S-rank.

Mercedes S Rank on M!Byleth available on NG+

When I went to F!Byleth loading the same save, Ashe was available, along with Mercedes S-rank for female

Then after saving it got applied to Global

You mentioned getting all those males with Hilda, can you double check that in the Support menu in the Journal? Someone else claims they did F!Byleth x Claude S-rank, and got Leonie available to purchase for M!Byleth on NG+

It seems like some kind of mechanic so the game ensures you don't get punished for sticking with one Gender. And I only see it doing 1 at a time, not making multiple available.

Edited by Jacien

On 8/8/2019 at 10:35 AM, Popers1328 said:

The only character I could S support on new game + as Male Byleth was Hilda, which makes since because she was the only S rank in my support log.

If I'm reading this correctly, you're locked with whoever you S supported in your preceding save in the new game+? Meaning you can't S support someone different now?