Am I a bad person? (spoilers)

So been playing through he game, (forked out the money for a switch and collector's preorder despite disliking consoles) and found myself going down the Black Eagles path. Now I snagged a few thematic followers form the other houses at the last moment, Ignatz begged me that Thought he wanted to see the goddess chamber and not that I'd actually accidentally met his requirements.

Regardless, I got Felix, interesting fellow. Edgy, but in a pleasurable way. Unfortunately he was the only Blue Lion I got. He was also very easy to make a decent unit despite the late grab. Am I a bad person for making him kill literally all his childhood friends and father personally?

Also what other character deaths really hit the spot in the tragedy/feels department for your own playthroughs?

Recruiting "traitor" characters has long been a part of the series, and these sort of issues are tackled to varying degrees of quality.

The best example that comes to mind is Zihark. His loyalty to his nation is always in direct conflict with his social principles (justice and equality for the Laguz). His character arc in Radiant Dawn is at its best when the player chooses to recruit him away from his country, as remaining with Daien is a betrayal of everything he personally stands for, and that is why he is one of my top 10 favorite characters in the franchise.

Killing Ignatz felt bad, never really cared much about the guy, but the death quote is literally him saying that he never wanted that life anyways... and it felt even worse because I could've let him flee. But man, you don't hold a stealable Brave Bow if you want to flee, basic Fire Emblem rules.

On the other hand killing Claude seems very unnecessary? I'm pretty sure he's smart enough to understand his situation and talk it out, his death really feels like it was added in just for tragedy purpose.

As for recruitments, I can't see how anyone wouldn't recruit Leonie, she's made to join Byleth regardless of the chosen path. In my Edelgard route I also got Sylvain and Marianne which I think fit in well, seen as they hate the crest system. Though recruiting any of the "Dimitri childhood" trio will always feel bad (unless you get all three, wonder why he got mad lol).

1 hour ago, timon said:

On the other hand killing Claude seems very unnecessary? I'm pretty sure he's smart enough to understand his situation and talk it out, his death really feels like it was added in just for tragedy purpose.

What route? I had the option to let him go and he just up and left said, "good game, have fun fighting the psycho king!" Maybe because I fought him specifically with Byleth?

1 hour ago, CyberNinja said:

What route? I had the option to let him go and he just up and left said, "good game, have fun fighting the psycho king!" Maybe because I fought him specifically with Byleth?

Empire route (Crimson Flower). Goddam don't tell me this, I don't have a savefile from before that fight... I did fight him with Byleth, but he didn't make the kill, is that the difference maker?

6 minutes ago, timon said:

Empire route (Crimson Flower). Goddam don't tell me this, I don't have a savefile from before that fight... I did fight him with Byleth, but he didn't make the kill, is that the difference maker?

I forget who got the kill, but there was 100% post-chapter dialogue with an option to either kill or leave him alive.

Quite a few units have the option. Some even have an option to turn them.

Only the most militant inner circle to the leaders (Dedue, Dimitri, Cyril, Catherine etc) force you to put them down

Edited by Tribute

1 minute ago, Tribute said:

I forget who got the kill, but there was 100% post-chapter dialogue with an option to either kill or leave him alive.

I looked it up just now, according to this https://gamewith.net/fire-emblem-three-houses/article/show/10501 you have to kill with Byleth to have the option to spare him and then you talk with him post battle. I'm sad, my only dialogue "option" was asking Edelgard how she felt about killing him.

12 minutes ago, timon said:

I looked it up just now, according to this https://gamewith.net/fire-emblem-three-houses/article/show/10501 you have to kill with Byleth to have the option to spare him and then you talk with him post battle. I'm sad, my only dialogue "option" was asking Edelgard how she felt about killing him.

Seems to be alot of small changes based how you do things, at least post-skip.

Like the Dedue / Dimitri dialogue if you manage to pick him off before he turns

10 minutes ago, Tribute said:

Seems to be alot of small changes based how you do things, at least post-skip.

Like the Dedue / Dimitri dialogue if you manage to pick him off before he turns

I did check this, El will put him down regardless of who scores the kill, I'd say I feel bad but Felix really poisoned the well with Dimitry so I didn't exactly feel bad about his demise, having not played Blue lions yet.

Honestly some of this is kind of a dumb choice of implementation.

I get recruiting, I see why you'd need Byleth to talk people into it, but the spare option? Really? It's not like the other students want to drink the blood of their ex-schoolmates (unless you're killing everyone with Hubert lol). I had Leonie kill Claude, why the hell wouldn't she choose to spare him as well (also kind of sad she and Marianne didn't get special dialogue fighting him).