Is Three Houses a deconstruction of old, classic Fire Emblem ideals? (SPOILERS)

With all the twists and turns of this game, taking apart old ideas like legendary heroic lineage, divine weapons, good gods and evil gods, and FE never moving forward technologically, is it a deconstruction of all the ideas of FE?

1 hour ago, Pikappa93 said:

I mean, you just listed a bunch of classic FE stuff. 

You obviously don't know what a deconstruction is.

5 hours ago, Corrobin said:

FE never moving forward technologically

Since there is no overall FE timeline, and each continent takes place in it's own Outrealm (as stated in Awakening), there's no reason why Fodlan should have to be significantly technologically more advanced than Tellius, Magvel, Elibe, Fateslandia or Ylisse/Arkaneia.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

1 hour ago, Corrobin said:

You obviously don't know what a deconstruction is.

Its often better to inform an audience of a definition when it can be critical to others understanding. If you look at most any legal document there can often be a section dedicated to defining terms such as to avoid confusion for a larger audience of readers. In school books you will find much the same. When using jargon to communicate with people it is good to teach people the jargon, then use it freely such that everyone in a discussion can be understanding correctly rather than inferring unintended meanings.

Edited by Vorena

Alright, then, here's the meaning of a deconstruction.

"Deconstruction" literally means "to take something apart." When applied to tropes or other aspects of fiction, deconstruction means to take apart a trope so as to better understand its meaning and relevance to us in real life. This often means pursuing a trope's inherent contradictions and the difference between how the trope appears in this one work and how it compares to other relevant tropes or ideas both in fiction and real life. The simplest and most common method of applying deconstruction to tropes in fiction among general audiences and fan bases  takes the form of questioning "How would this trope play out with real life consequences applied to it?" or "What would cause this trope to appear in real life?"

It deconstructs the dragon religion tropes the most, I think, in the sense that there's quite a few skeptics and plenty of infighting like REAL LIFE religion and you're not just gathering the relics to fight the big bad. But that part is still there lol.

I think it plays most of the others straight.

3 hours ago, Crysta said:

It deconstructs the dragon religion tropes the most, I think, in the sense that there's quite a few skeptics and plenty of infighting like REAL LIFE religion and you're not just gathering the relics to fight the big bad. But that part is still there lol.

I think it plays most of the others straight.

Well...

Spoiler

The origin of most of the Legendary Weapons has a very dark story, and in fact it's hard to say if any of the Heroes of the Backtory was actually a Hero other that Saint Cichol and Saint Cethleann.

Edited by Troykv

9 hours ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Since there is no overall FE timeline, and each continent takes place in it's own Outrealm (as stated in Awakening), there's no reason why Fodlan should have to be significantly technologically more advanced than Tellius, Magvel, Elibe, Fateslandia or Ylisse/Arkaneia.

Spoiler

From what I understand Fodland used to be technologically advanced with the manaketes sharing their knowledge with the Agarthans. But then it seems like the Agarthans wanted to overthrow god or something with their technology causing something to happen with Seiros devastating their civilization as punishment for their actions. Sothis had to use her powers to regenerate the land and fell into deep slumber after that. Might be that the use of "javelins of light" are what caused Seiros to act. Of course, what the Agarthans have right now might be a far cry to what they originally had. Nukes aren't out of the question. I speculate that the volcano area was a result of nukes or the original homeland of Agarthans as there is mention of the goddess's punishment.

5 hours ago, redlight said:
  Hide contents

From what I understand Fodland used to be technologically advanced with the manaketes sharing their knowledge with the Agarthans. But then it seems like the Agarthans wanted to overthrow god or something with their technology causing something to happen with Seiros devastating their civilization as punishment for their actions. Sothis had to use her powers to regenerate the land and fell into deep slumber after that. Might be that the use of "javelins of light" are what caused Seiros to act. Of course, what the Agarthans have right now might be a far cry to what they originally had. Nukes aren't out of the question. I speculate that the volcano area was a result of nukes or the original homeland of Agarthans as there is mention of the goddess's punishment.

Spoiler

In GD route it is indeed explained volcano area were results of advanced weapons targeting Zanado, but was “intercepted” by Sothis mid air, deflecting it to that valley instead. They couldn’t kill her with their weapons, so they sent Nemesis.

There were some really high tech warfare in the past for sure.

Edited by Timlugia

7 hours ago, De Geso said:

I think you're looking for something that isn't there. Three Houses isn't a deconstruction, it's just a different approach to storytelling.

Well

Kinda.

Hero relics were always this sacred thing that's precious and good in FE. THs' had them fuck more shit up than help.