Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

52 minutes ago, Jotari said:

They also (iirc) never double.

All Breath is 20 Wt in a game where AS loss prevention doesn't exist. Dragons can't ever double, this helps keep Tiki in check and it keeps Wyverns from being the FE12 menaces they will become.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Mystery of the Emblem Day 9: Book 1, Chapter 9

So, here we go straight to Linde’s recruitment chapter. I think we’ve skipped another chapter too, but I can’t be sure. But anyway, it seems that ballisticians can’t move, so… how the hell were those reinforcements supposed to work?

This also explains why I heard they ditched Jake as a character here until the DS remake. But honestly, it’s a shame they cut so many characters and maps from this remake, since this would easily otherwise be THE definitive way to play FE1 if it weren’t for that. In fact, it… okay yeah it DEFINITELY still is, but it’s still a shame it’s not 100% better.

There's another reason too for Ballisticians not being usable, but maybe I'll hold on that till later.

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

SO DRAGON BREATH ISN’T MAGICAL, IT JUST LITERALLY PIERCES ANY AND ALL DEFENSE WHATSOFUCKINGEVER.

Dragons are tough like that, thankfully they can never double. This also leaves a tanking role for a specific character, specially in book 2.

10 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

All Breath is 20 Wt in a game where AS loss prevention doesn't exist. Dragons can't ever double, this helps keep Tiki in check and it keeps Wyverns from being the FE12 menaces they will become.

Honestly I think the only thing in Book 1 keeping Tiki in check is that once she hits 20 defense most other units don't attack, making her invincible but severely reducing her enemy phase effectiveness. Book 2 end game has devil axe enemies which can eventually kill her and enough .ages packing fortify to make the lack of doubling ability noticeable.

Mystery of the Emblem Day 10: Book 1, Chapter 10

Yet again another castle map sloppily remodeled to remove the outdoors. Though I must admit, a castle like this, with entire walled buildings inside of walled buildings, would be pretty fascinating to see in real life.

The courtyard appears to have been re-fashioned into an indoor pool. Don’t know what a chest is doing right next to it though, especially since I’m pretty sure we’re not going to find swim goggles in there.

And of course they don’t consider it remotely relevant information to show the prisoners I’m going to have to try and rescue. But with any luck these bad guys will be just as dumb as the guys who took over Aurelis castle and the prisoners will be armed.

This map also seems to have added more thieves, adding a teensy bit more urgency to the rush forward, but not much. They’re barely any closer to the chests than the original two thieves. We shouldn’t even need mounts to intercept them.

That’s… exceedingly odd. So, Bantu’s fire stone is an item. But enemy fire stones are in the weapon slot. ...Why, exactly? I fail to see the practical purpose behind this difference.

Oh, so NOW the game decides we should start the fight “outside”, does it? Last time we started right in the castle for some reason!

Now, unfortunately, no, the prisoners are not armed. Pity. They kind of gave up on being realistic about that last time, so now they’re just being inconsistent.

So it seems that the prisoners are a lot harder to save this time, as the mage joins in on the fun rather than fucking off. So I’m just gonna warp in Merric to save the day.

What’s up with Linde’s dress? It looks like she hasn’t changed out of her tattered slave rags or something, because it looks like a dress where somebody just tore a huge hole out of the side to expose her left leg, but the hole doesn’t go all the way down so there’s still a full ring of fabric making the bottom of the dress, as if someone were trying to expose as much of her legs as possible while still restricting her leg movement as much as a normal dress does.

Plus side: one of the thieves had a rapier! Score! looks like there isn’t just one in this game!

Jeeeeesus christ, while it isn’t as tedious as last time due to the inventory management shit not being a problem, this map has a SERIOUSLY thin spread of enemies. Why on earth do they want me to travel through all of this nothing?

Well, at least there’s treasure. Including an Orion’s Bolt I’m actually excited about! Not gonna use it quite yet though. First off because it would be worthless to use it in an indoor map where Castor wouldn’t even reap the benefits (and for all I know it would glitch out, who knows?). Secondly because I want Castor to get some more levels first. Try to get that attack speed up, which isn’t going to improve when he promotes, before we leave this magical time where at least half the enemies on every map have 0 AS.

So apparently, while javelins have a weight of 20… hand axes only have a weight of 9. Which means Barst is very close to being able to double some enemies with a hand axe. Now I see why people say Barst is worth using despite not being able to promote. Axes have some pretty cool weapons only he can realistically use.

I just got the prisoners out, and seriously, this game doesn’t seem to respect the player’s ability to actually “prepare” on the preparations screen. Denying us the information that the map’s gonna have unarmed prisoners is pretty major information denial, especially since we’d want to bring some extra weapons to give them.

If I had any intention of using them. Which I do not, in the slightest. But still.

On the bright side, CASTOR FINALLY GAINS MORE SPEED!

For some reason, the bishops… fuck it, this and the original were weird about promoted mage names, I’ll just call them what they are: sages.

For some reason, the sages surrounding the boss started marching towards my party once they made some progress. So I go to them… only to discover… they’re totally unarmed. They’re just staff users.

Also, it’s not just enemy dragonstones that are treated as weapons. It seems everything enemies carry is in a weapon slot, and I’m guessing that if it’s in the item slot, it means it’s something they drop when they die. If it’s in both, they can use it. If it’s only in the bottom, it’s something they drop but can’t use, like stuff thieves carry or steal.

Like clockwork. Abel levels up.

Skill. Luck. Weapon level. Max HP. HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES HAVE I SEEN THAT LEVEL UP FROM ABEL BY NOW!?

Anyway, looks like you can still use broken weapons, at no might, 20 weight and low accuracy. This seems to me to serve no other purpose than to let you get one more use out of weapons before using Hammerne on them, which I will concede is nice.

Also, I just looked it up, apparently you can repair regalia with Hammerne in this game! The only thing you can’t repair is staves! Which means maybe I can be less stingy with Aura to help Linde catch up, because she’s struggling to contribute right now.

Also, we got a combat manual, which if used on Castor would let him use Parthia. So, well… why not? What else would we use it for?

Despite the complete nonsense of how few enemies there were on this map, the silver lance soldiers guarding the chest was a nice touch, even if the battlefield wasn’t very suited to make it hard to deal with.

Alright, so, since Hardin’s far and away my best cavalier and I have a knight crest now, I’m going to go back to playing favorites with him to get him promoted ASAP.

But most important of all, we got the BOOTS! YES! THOSE ARE GOING TO MARTH OBVIOUSLY. AN 11 MOV UNIT WHO ISN’T SLOWED DOWN ON INDOOR MAPS, YES, THANK YOU!

…Wow, these boots somehow managed to get my hopes up even higher. The description says they boost movement by 5, maximum 12. Nope, either it boosts it by 4, or it’s maximum 11, because Marth’s movement is “just” 11. Hardly a big deal though, because it is TIME FOR MARTH TO RUN LIKE HE’S FUCKING NEZUKO.

And then we get the Parthia, which after an arms scroll Castor will be able to use like nobody’s business, and then the chapter’s over!

I think we might start getting in trouble from here on out. This was still way more tolerable than the version in FE1, but holy shit. This entire map was just a massive waste of space. There were barely more enemies than I had allies, and they were spread psychotically thin across a huge, winding map. The QOL updates are great, but they really, REALLY should have tried to make the enemy placement more interesting in this game.

But alas, they did not, and I must suffer through it for another two weeks. So now, until Monday, take care everyone.

9 hours ago, Jotari said:

Honestly I think the only thing in Book 1 keeping Tiki in check is that once she hits 20 defense most other units don't attack, making her invincible but severely reducing her enemy phase effectiveness. Book 2 end game has devil axe enemies which can eventually kill her and enough .ages packing fortify to make the lack of doubling ability noticeable.

I hardly considered the Devil Axes much a threat to Tiki, she can easily be busy doing other things rather than fight them. You have magic/Ladyblade/Killers for those.

On the other hand, Heroes and Snipers with Silvers do pierce through enough of her Def to be threatening. And, the Magestone isn't as worthwhile a buy as I thought, due to enemy mages no longer targeting her.

Agreed on the Fortify point, soloing things with her takes a long time because of it.

Actually if you promote a Hunter in doors, then they still gain their mount with no issue and for that chapter alone you can use a mount in doors. Only works with the Huntsmen promotion though since every other mount promotion already has a mount at tier 1.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I hardly considered the Devil Axes much a threat to Tiki, she can easily be busy doing other things rather than fight them. You have magic/Ladyblade/Killers for those.

On the other hand, Heroes and Snipers with Silvers do pierce through enough of her Def to be threatening. And, the Magestone isn't as worthwhile a buy as I thought, due to enemy mages no longer targeting her.

Agreed on the Fortify point, soloing things with her takes a long time because of it.

Well by threat I mean might actually kill her if you let a half dozen crowd her. Wasn't even sure snipers dealt effective damage to her, still have her iote's shield to be safe, because she's the only possible candidate for it end game given all the other fliers are forced to dismount.

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

Wasn't even sure snipers dealt effective damage to her, still have her iote's shield to be safe, because she's the only possible candidate for it end game given all the other fliers are forced to dismount.

Only if she uses Wyvernstone. Divine Dragon form is not weak to bows, even though it flies.

10 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Nope, either it boosts it by 4, or it’s maximum 11, because Marth’s movement is “just” 11.

Max movement is 12, since you start encountering Wyverns with that much in Book II (gameplay spoilers, ahoy?). Oh, and they also have 1-2 range 🙂

5 hours ago, Kruggov said:

Only if she uses Wyvernstone. Divine Dragon form is not weak to bows, even though it flies.

Max movement is 12, since you start encountering Wyverns with that much in Book II (gameplay spoilers, ahoy?). Oh, and they also have 1-2 range 🙂

The other forms are fun to play around with (which is a genuine reason to use them), but really all you need for Tiki is her Divine Stone. A couple of uses of Bantu's Firestone early if you're worried about it running out, but with her luck stat she's basically down to one use per chapter meaning there's little to fear.

1 hour ago, Eryon said:

I shall say here that Medeus indeed did nothing wrong and that you will learn how that is so in Book Two. He's the closest character FE has to Magneto.

Except he went way overboard in retaliation, which kinda nulls the excuse. I'd say both humans and dragons screwed up enough.

He acted no crueler than how humans acted to dragons/each-other. Note how he has plenty of human allies and humans living within his land (who show no signs of fearing the dragons within their borders). We see no dragons with dialogue opposing him outside of Naga's followers and Tiki.

Mystery of the Emblem Day 11: Book 1, Chapter 11

Looks like Palla and Catria are gonna show up at the beginning of the map!

…And it looks like this game’s solution to dealing with a map revolving around enemies they drastically re-designed… was to just not include it at all, because Astram is here instead of in the ballistician map. Anyway, that means I have to bring Midia to recruit him, I assume, though I never tried it with Marth or Caeda before. Oh well, she’s a paladin, what harm can it do to bring her?

That’s interesting. Apparently this game DOES have no-mount squares that aren’t just for show! I discovered them when trying to warp Hardin into the treasure room to hold off the thieves! Oh well, I’ll just warp him in below it.

Okay, so, it seems Astram doesn’t attack, but won’t recruit himself. Weird. Very weird.

Aaaaand I had to start because years of being used to built-in HP bars and combat forecasts has made it really easy to forget to check units’ HP before sending them to attack in player phase.

Incidentally, didn’t Palla originally explicitly mention having a special attack with her sisters in her recruitment dialogue in FE1? Or was that Gaiden? I looked through my notes for it but I couldn’t see any instance of mentioning it in either game. Maybe I was searching with the wrong keyword?

The sniper in the treasure room doesn’t fucking move, even when there’s an enemy in his face attacking him. But at any rate, since the thieves are only carrying vulneraries, I’m going to let them take the treasures before killing them just to test if I get everything back or just the last thing they added to their inventory.

I have been getting a hell of a lot of skill luck, HP and weapon levels this map, and not a heck of a lot else. It’s pretty infuriating. The one time I drop Abel to make room for someone else, and suddenly everyone’s leveling like him!

Plus side: Yes! Kill a thief and you get back everything droppable they have!

Also, it seems they moved the shops to near the village rather than in the middle of the castle. Sensible, but very inconvenient for me.

Thankfully, this string of terrible level ups ended with Castor getting + strength and speed, and Hardin getting + defense.

And we get Thoron again! Debating who to give that to this time, now that I’m trying to use Linde and now that Merric’s gotten so rng blessed in strength.

I lost Midia halfway through the map when a hero I somehow didn’t see attacked and one-rounded her.

Fuck it.

She served her purpose, I was careless and it was my fault, I don’t want to give up Castor’s speed level or Hardin’s defense level, and I’ve got plans today that didn’t involve re-doing this map a third time.

Midia dies. Sorry Astram.

Moving on, I just noticed something weird. I was wondering why they have all of these unarmed sages for healing purposes when they could just use clerics, and then I remembered that the original game definitely used clerics before now, but I don’t think I’ve seen a single cleric among the enemies in this game. Hell… I don’t think I’ve see a single non-recruitable female enemy in the entire game period. Weird. I realize enemies have historically been majority male, but they’ve had no trouble after this point sending female pegasus knights and valkyries and the like after us. But no, here, every enemy, even the pegasus knights, is male. I wonder why.

Sweet fucking Christ is shopping with the silver card less of a pain now. I can do all of my shopping in one or two turns!

Also, it is super disappointing that Marth doesn’t get a special conversation when fighting this boss, or any boss so far to my knowledge. Especially when this guy is responsible for the death of his father.

It is interesting that they actually try to portray him sympathetically on his death though, what with him mentioning his daughter Sheema as his dying words…

Huh. Sheema… where have I heard that name before…

..OH! Sheena! That cute armor lady I got tons of in Fire Emblem Heroes!

…Jesus christ I can’t believe that was my genuine train of thought.

Well at any rate, that’s the boss killed, and Castor nearly fully leveled. Pretty soon he’ll be on a horse!

But for now, we’re done for the day.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

That’s interesting. Apparently this game DOES have no-mount squares that aren’t just for show! I discovered them when trying to warp Hardin into the treasure room to hold off the thieves! Oh well, I’ll just warp him in below it.

Even if they can get on them somehow, Mounted units can't even move across those squares.

Moving on, I just noticed something weird. I was wondering why they have all of these unarmed sages for healing purposes when they could just use clerics, and then I remembered that the original game definitely used clerics before now, but I don’t think I’ve seen a single cleric among the enemies in this game. Hell… I don’t think I’ve see a single non-recruitable female enemy in the entire game period. Weird. I realize enemies have historically been majority male, but they’ve had no trouble after this point sending female pegasus knights and valkyries and the like after us. But no, here, every enemy, even the pegasus knights, is male. I wonder why.

There's very few female bosses in Fire Emblem in general and the amount of times they are depicted unsympathetically can be counted on one hand. Interestingly the next FE game has the most female enemies to ever appear in the series.

It is interesting that they actually try to portray him sympathetically on his death though, what with him mentioning his daughter Sheema as his dying words…

Jiol's death quote is interesting, even though he's not a good father, his last thoughts were still of his daughter and for her to succeed him for the country's sake.

Bs_fe03_enemy_jiol_general_lance.png

By the way, I haven't seen you mention it, but many of the bosses, particularly the armored ones, have unique battle palettes. I wonder why playable characters like the green armored Dolph or purple armored Macellan didn't get battle palettes?

Edited by Emperor Hardin

Yes, I figured it would be like no-mount squares in Thracia, given that I couldn't even warp horses on top of them.

1 minute ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Bs_fe03_enemy_jiol_general_lance.png

By the way, I haven't seen you mention it, but many of the bosses, particularly the armored ones, have unique battle palettes. I wonder why playable characters like the green armored Dolph or purple armored Macellan didn't get battle palettes?

I didn't mention it because I actually hadn't noticed! Interesting, I'll have to be on the lookout for that from now on.

12 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yes, I figured it would be like no-mount squares in Thracia, given that I couldn't even warp horses on top of them.

I didn't mention it because I actually hadn't noticed! Interesting, I'll have to be on the lookout for that from now on.

No problem. From what I remembered, its just Armor Knights, Generals and Wyvern Riders that get palettes, though Camus has one buried unused as does a unused FE1 boss.

Bs_fe03_enemy_merach_armorknight_lance.pBs_fe03_enemy_emereus_general_lance.pngBs_fe03_enemy_kannival_armorknight_lanceBs_fe03_enemy_harmein_general_lance.pngBs_fe03_enemy_zharov_general_lance.png

Palettes of the Chapter 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 bosses for relevance. Almost like a rainbow of armor.

I should've mentioned it in the last chapter, but that Silver Lance soldier in chapter 10, replaced Heimler, a mini boss in FE1. Soldiers at this point are used mainly to replace Cavaliers and Paladins from FE1. 

There's actually strong evidence for Soldiers being intended as playable in this game;

* They're grouped among the playable classes in the game data.

* Their idle map sprites load on every map when most unplayable classes and a few playable ones, only load on certain maps.

Bs_fe03_soldier_lance.png

* They have a player palette.

* Unlike other FE games, in FE3, the arena loads specific enemy units depending on the class of the enemy unit, like a General will never face a Barbarian in the arena, but a Hero might. The enemy classes such as pirate will thus get glitched results when they use the arena, however, Soldier is an exception and has a list of opponents loaded just like the player classes.

This is just a guess of mine, but I think soldier was intended as the dismounted form for certain characters.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

Mystery of the Emblem Day 12: Book 1, Chapter 12

So, we’re going to Khadein today, which means we fight Gharnef. And while his stats have suffered in a few ways, they’ve been buffed in others. While he now has 0 AS because he has 6 speed with a 14 weight tome, he now has 10 strength, bringing his attack power up to 24, and 8 resistance, meaning that if Merric, my strongest mage, were to attack him now, he’d be doing a mere 9 damage per hit. Granted, that’s still plenty to take him out before the thing’s measly 12 uses run out, assuming he doesn’t get healed, but it still is worrying to a point, since aside from a +3 bonus from promoting, Merric isn’t going to be getting too much stronger unless his luck holds up.

Anyway, for the most part this is gonna be a map for Marth, mages and fliers. However, I will try to use those mage reinforcements to get Castor promoted. While the option to wait until an indoor map to promote him is tempting, I can’t remember when that will be and I don’t care to check, so I think I’m just gonna have a mounted archer right away.

…Gharnef is moving. Thankfully he can’t exactly one-round any of my units, but still, that is gonna be worrisome if he takes too long to get bored and leave.

Okay, my mistake, there are a few units he can kill in one hit, namely Lena, just barely. Gotta keep her away from him.

FUCK!

I GOT AMAZING LEVEL UPS THIS RUN, AND THEN I MIS-REMEMBERED HOW MUCH DAMAGE GHARNEF DOES WHEN I ENCIRCLED HIM TO KEEP HIM AWAY FROM MY SQUISHIER UNITS!

I USED THOSE SQUISHY UNITS TO ENCIRCLE HIM! HE CAN ONE-SHOT BOTH CAIN AND ABEL!

Please retreat please retreat please retreat please retreat-

YES! HE FUCKING RETREATED! JUST AS I SHIT THE BED WITH MY STRATEGY, HE FUCKING RETREATS!

And to put the capstone on my completely undeserved victory, the mage I left Castor in range of suicides onto him and feeds Castor the last experience he needs to promote, and giving him +str and +spd while he’s at it!

And now I see the FE3 promotion sequence for the first time and yes! Finally we get that classic fanfare we know and love!

Castor is now an absolute menace. 18 strength, 13 skill and 12 speed are the high points. His luck of 7, weapon level of 9, defense of 7 and resistance of 1 aren’t nearly as impressive, but who gives a shit, he’s hot flaming death on a nine move stallion. Best use of an Orion’s Bolt ever.

Gotta say, this battle was a lot more interesting than I remembered it being in FE1. A lot more fliers that menaced my party a lot sooner.

Also, inexplicably, despite seeming to get nothing but skill, luck, weapon level and max HP… Abel still loses or ties in all of those categories compared to Cain, except for skill where he has a decent edge. Why do I keep getting terrible Abels!?

We kill the thief and get a talisman, recover, and secret book. Once I get a better sense of what Marth’s gonna need help in, I’ll start cracking into these things. Which reminds me I might want to give Castor the arms scroll soon, just to get him the Parthia and make sure he goes from “hot flaming death on a stallion” to “fifth horseman of the apocalypse”.

Well, after the initial scare, not much of note happened, and the rest of the map was a piece of cake. Castor got some more levels off of the reinforcements that strangely didn’t stop spawning by the time I completed the map, and gained some more strength and speed level ups. His strength is nearly capped, and I even bought a shiny silver bow for him, so between those two things and Parthia… I think this might be the most useful exclusive bow user I’ve ever had (though to be fair that’s because my Black Eagles Blind Ironman Leonie was disqualified because you can technically use other weapons as bow knight in three houses).

Until tomorrow, folks!

…No, wait, cutscene time! What does Señor Don Gato have to say?

“…It is saddening to see you being mocked by Gharnef…”

God I love the weird shit people say in these translations.

So, one last thought: what exactly does Gotoh do with the Starphere and Lightsphere? Or, as this game reveals slash retcons them to be… Azure and Argent, two of the stones of the fucking Fire Emblem? Obviously he doesn’t crush them into a fine powder and blow them over a book like fairy dust to make the Starlight tome, since, y’know, they’re still fucking there. Ten fucking centuries later might I add. So, then… WHY THE FUCK DOESN’T GOTOH GIVE THEM BACK WHEN HE’S DONE WITH THEM!? THAT INFINITE WEAPON DURABILITY WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO HAVE, GOTOH!

29 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

So, one last thought: what exactly does Gotoh do with the Starphere and Lightsphere? Or, as this game reveals slash retcons them to be… Azure and Argent, two of the stones of the fucking Fire Emblem? Obviously he doesn’t crush them into a fine powder and blow them over a book like fairy dust to make the Starlight tome, since, y’know, they’re still fucking there. Ten fucking centuries later might I add. So, then… WHY THE FUCK DOESN’T GOTOH GIVE THEM BACK WHEN HE’S DONE WITH THEM!? THAT INFINITE WEAPON DURABILITY WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO HAVE, GOTOH!

Spoiler

The Starsphere shatters into twelve shards which get scattered throughout Archanea due to being unable to withstand the strain on it during the crafting process which created Starlight. The Lightsphere remains intact, and presumably in his possession.

About the Pegasus Knights, it wasn't until T776 that we heard word on pegasi actively avoiding males as riders. And that was really more of a soft retcon to address how they stopped bothering to design male PKs post-Mystery.

2 hours ago, Eryon said:

About the Pegasus Knights, it wasn't until T776 that we heard word on pegasi actively avoiding males as riders. And that was really more of a soft retcon to address how they stopped bothering to design male PKs post-Mystery.

Its also interesting to note T776 has Karin state Pegasi usually avoid male riders, leaving some room for male Pegasus Riders to exist.

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

While he now has 0 AS because he has 6 speed with a 14 weight tome, he now has 10 strength, bringing his attack power up to 24, and 8 resistance, meaning that if Merric, my strongest mage, were to attack him now, he’d be doing a mere 9 damage per hit. 

Hyman also took a speed hit, I wonder why he and Garnef lost speed?

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Alot of the time, I keep the starsphere for Gradivus use and level ups.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

8 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:
  Hide contents

The Starsphere shatters into twelve shards which get scattered throughout Archanea due to being unable to withstand the strain on it during the crafting process which created Starlight. The Lightsphere remains intact, and presumably in his possession.

Spoiler

Not much presuming about it. Gotoh is the one that directly gives it to Marth in Book 2. Though it does bring into question why it's not useable in then few chapters of Shadow Dragon. I guess terrain negating just isnt considered as useful as infinite durability so Gotoh assumed Marth wouldn't want it.

3 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Its also interesting to note T776 has Karin state Pegasi usually avoid male riders, leaving some room for male Pegasus Riders to exist.

Shadow Dragon gives such little incentive to get the Falchion, I invariably keep it for infinite Divine Stone Tiki (and then briefly kill her to get the Naga chapter). Gradivus is a good choice for the literal single chapter you have both it and Star Sphere in this game since it doesn't work on Dragon Stones.

3 hours ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Shadow Dragon gives such little incentive to get the Falchion, I invariably keep it for infinite Divine Stone Tiki (and then briefly kill her to get the Naga chapter). Gradivus is a good choice for the literal single chapter you have both it and Star Sphere in this game since it doesn't work on Dragon Stones.

In FE3, Gradivus and Archanea's other Regalia also double exp gains which is unsurprisingly great to have especially with Star Orb's growth boosts and all those late joiners!

Edited by Emperor Hardin

Mystery of the Emblem Day 13: Book 1, Chapter 13

SWEET MERCIFUL JESUS THANK YOU, THEY FIXED THE BLOCKY-ASS ISLANDS.

This is the map that had that perfectly rectangular island full of forts last time, and was chock full of similarly ridiculous hard and unnatural lines that looked absolutely hideous. Thankfully, this map got a serious makeover. It looks better all-around… except, once again, the market town was made hideous. This time instead of replacing the cobblestone roads with nothing, they replaced them with… wooden… planks? that are just randomly strewn around? The place looks like a boardwalk shopping center that got hit by a hurricane.

I’ve gotta push some units out to make room for the new recruits, and for today I’m pushing out Barst and Linde. I don’t think Linde is going to contribute much, given how hard it’s been to secure kills for her using literally anything but Aura.

HAHAHAHA! Looks like even with nowhere to go, Xane moves in his cell to try go get as close to Marth as possible, which is pretty hilarious considering that this means he’s just getting right up in the face of his fucking prison guards, likely pestering them, which is so hilariously in-character for Xane.

It seems there’s a hard limit of 99 on how much damage an attack can do, which makes sense for an old game like this.

Now… should I go for sheer variety and pick Samson this time, despite it hardly being useful? Or stick with canon since I know Arran comes back in book 2?

Let’s go with Arran. I have no use for physical foot units at this point in the game.

And this game actually closes the other village gate rather than leaving it permanently open with the message that it’s closed! Awesome!

HAHAHAHAHAHA! And now Xane just casually walked over to the other side of the guard, like he’s dancing back and forth around him going “IS THIS BOTHERING YOU I’M NOT TOUCHING YOU IS THIS BOTHERING YOU I’M NOT TOUCHING YOU!”

Enemy cavalry still have 0 AS. Paladins have 2, but Jesus Christ are these guys weighed down.

AND HARDIN GOT ANOTHER POINT OF DEFENSE. HIS DEFENSE IS TWELVE.

And unfortunately my image of Xane’s goofy antics are crushed by this shockingly boring recruitment line. I remembered him being much more goofy even in the FE1 translation, not just Shadow Dragon, but the translation here just has him calmly explaining his situation to Marth. Not even a single exclamation point!

WOW GAME, GREAT CHANGE TO MAKE TO THE FORMULA COMPLETELY UNEXPLAINED. Turns out that Xane’s HP doesn’t change when he transforms, current or max. Which means he’s stuck at 18 no matter who he transforms into. This… is a significant damper on his usefulness, to the point where I wonder if there’s even going to be a point to using him. Thankfully this information isn’t enough to get him killed by the hero I left him in range of.

Right, shopping time. Gotta remember this is my last chance to buy javelins, and they’ve been at least reasonably useful, so I wanna make sure I at least have enough for player phase tactics for the rest of the game. I’ll buy a few more.

Fuck that, I already have plenty for what they’re good for in this game. I’m just gonna buy the shit out of killer lances. It’s not the critical hit so much as, like with killer swords in FE1, the absurdly good combination of hit, power and low weight.

So, the game just arbitrarily decides to change the kinds of reinforcements it throws at me, huh? Thankfully the cavalier’s javelin didn’t kill Lena from behind Merric.

And Hardin faces off the formerly-rectangular island reinforcements, reaches level 20 with a whopping 13 defense, and gets to promote!

The result: 16 strength, 18 skill, 20 speed, 7 luck, 19 weapon level, 15 defense, and 7 resistance. This guy is an absolute menace, and given the events of book 2, his sheer dominance in my army is… surprisingly fitting.

Anyway, Merric uses the last two uses of his trusty thunder tome to get two consecutive criticals, one-rounding the boss. Time to finish up here.

…Oh shit. This is gonna be an indoor map tomorrow, isn’t it?

FUCK. Just when I got Hardin promoted too…

WOW GAME, GREAT CHANGE TO MAKE TO THE FORMULA COMPLETELY UNEXPLAINED. Turns out that Xane’s HP doesn’t change when he transforms, current or max. Which means he’s stuck at 18 no matter who he transforms into. This… is a significant damper on his usefulness, to the point where I wonder if there’s even going to be a point to using him. Thankfully this information isn’t enough to get him killed by the hero I left him in range of.

You can still give him an Angelic Robe? And transformation formula changes again in FE11 IIRC.

FUCK. Just when I got Hardin promoted too…

At least his level got reset?

Buttt, yeah 🙂

Also, Mage Dragon. Hope you got wyrmslayers.