Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

1 minute ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think the transition towards the timeskip should have been a bit more graceful. 

The big thing that keeps Byleth out of the running for five years is that...they fell down a hole. But there was no need for that when Solon's spell is a far more impressive way to get Byleth out of the picture. Just have Byleth take five years to break out of it and when they return they find Fodlan aflame with war. The defense of the monastery could be a paralogue without Byleth present if need be. I actually think the siege of the monastery might be much more grim and foreboding when the students need to deal with the fact that the professor they relied on won't be there just when they need her most. 

Its just really silly that Byleth easily breaks out of another dimension but requires five years to climb out of a hole. Narrative and thematically it would have been better for the spell of whatever to force Byleth to leave Fodlan instead of a random cliff dive. 

Agreed, big time. If there was ever going to be a good opening to fit in a timeskip in which shit goes down without the professor, that would be it.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think the transition towards the timeskip should have been a bit more graceful. 

The big thing that keeps Byleth out of the running for five years is that...they fell down a hole. But there was no need for that when Solon's spell is a far more impressive way to get Byleth out of the picture. Just have Byleth take five years to break out of it and when they return they find Fodlan aflame with war. The defense of the monastery could be a paralogue without Byleth present if need be. I actually think the siege of the monastery might be much more grim and foreboding when the students need to deal with the fact that the professor they relied on won't be there just when they need her most. 

Its just really silly that Byleth easily breaks out of another dimension but requires five years to climb out of a hole. Narrative and thematically it would have been better for the spell of whatever to force Byleth to leave Fodlan instead of a random cliff dive. 

Great idea in general, but it'd require quite a bit of rewriting. As the events of the Holy Tomb only happen because of the Sothis fusion which is tied to getting out of Zaharas. Of course the Holy Tome just has a tonne of problems in general with the crest stones being useless, Edelgard somehow sneaking a full battalion up to and including demonic goddamn beasts through the monastery without taking control of it, Edelgard literally trying to kill her friends and then saying she's just kidding despite literally telling her soldiers to kill them and then her friends joining her side anyway as if they weren't just trying to fight to the death...so yeah removing the Holy Tomb and just having Edelgard unveil herself some other way in the forest would probably improve a lot. The only thing that would really be lost by axing the Holy Tomb is Rhea's reaction when nothing happens the moment Byleth sits on the throne which is kind of tied to what Rhea was trying to do the whole time in regards to Byleth.

Also speaking of Rhea, say bye bye to her, because she literally won't appear in this story again after this chapter.

Edited by Jotari

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

I can believe I've never questioned that big honking hole before, but do we have an explanation for that? It's kind of plot relevant, and they even keep it around in the next monastery map (but it apparently vanishes or gets fixed for Rhea's Silver Snow final boss map), but I can't remember the game ever trying to explain why there's a massive hole in the battle field or what in the world actually happens to Byleth during the five year time skip.

You know that big bridge connecting the rest of the monastery to the Cathedral? It might be some extension of that canyon thingy since I’m pretty sure they’re not actually fighting next to the cathedral.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Also speaking of Rhea, say bye bye to her, because she literally won't appear in this story again after this chapter.

Azure Moon was my first path, and I was rather baffled that Rhea never showed up again in person after the time skip. It felt lacking. Like the game was building up stuff about her that was going to be explained later, and then they decided that Azure Moon was the Dimitri show, what is anything else?

Not sure how IS expects people to give a shit about Rhea when a good number of its own paths do a fine job of not giving a shit about her.

4 minutes ago, Sunwoo said:

Not sure how IS expects people to give a shit about Rhea when a good number of its own paths do a fine job of not giving a shit about her.

Frankly I was surprised that the scene with Seteth confiscating books that talk about the immaculate one was restricted to Verdant Wind, one of the routes most sympathetic to the church, and not the Black Eagle routes.

Edited by Alastor15243

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Leonie's doing a pretty good job against these enemies. I focus on having her use bows, and she's one-rounding well enough. The str-dex-cha level she got wasn't ideal (would've preferred , but I'm hoping her growths hold. That's part of why I recruited her so late, to RNG-proof most of her development.

I dunno about that; from what I oft see stated when the topic of recruitment is brought up, earlier recruitment is generally better.

Also,. since we got past that point, I must say, for someone who really wanted the other two house leaders out of their way, Edelgard really didn't think her plan through, considering what happens in the prologue...

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Edelgard somehow sneaking a full battalion up to and including demonic goddamn beasts through the monastery without taking control of it

This is foreshadowed not too long before that, to be fair, as some NPCs mention that a lot of merchants and other visitors have been showing up lately.

2 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

This is foreshadowed not too long before that, to be fair, as some NPCs mention that a lot of merchants and other visitors have been showing up lately.

And in fairness, the demonic beasts could have been made on-site. Volunteers or something. If she has soldiers throwing themselves at Dimitri McSkullCrush to protect her, she probably has soldiers willing to become demonic beasts for her.

And of course, here's another cutscene where Professr completely forgets about her powers. It starts with a massive army of empire soldiers (and by that I mean clones of the gatekeeper with recolored skirts) storming Garreg Mach in massive numbers. Apparently Edelgard's victory was assured from the outset, and she only led the vanguard to satisfy her own ego.

And then Rhea goes and turns into a dragon (in a really sudden transition that appears to have also teleported her several dozen feet in the air at the same time) and starts having a mini kaiju battle with some demonic beasts. The fight breaks open a wall that happens to be situated over a massive fucking abyss...

...And then Thales conjures a really telegraphed ball of dark magic that hits Professr dead-on... and she falls in straight through that opening into a bottomless pit.

Again the Agarthans bypass Byleths power in the cutscenes...if only they did it in the gameplay as well. I guess it doesn't matter that much in this route...

sigh... Its probably a little too early to get into it, but there should have been a fight against actual Agarthans in Azure Moon instead of just against disguised Agarthans...

We just... disappear from history. For five years. Allegedly asleep the whole time.

This is never fucking explained.

While comas are a thing, Byleth would still need to be feed, watered, and moved in some way to survive those 5 years, which doesn't seem to be what happened...

Honestly @Etrurian emperor's idea is the best way to cover this 5 year long plot-hole.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

And in fairness, the demonic beasts could have been made on-site. Volunteers or something. If she has soldiers throwing themselves at Dimitri McSkullCrush to protect her, she probably has soldiers willing to become demonic beasts for her.

This feels like the natural place to make those Crest Stones Edelgard tried to (or did) steal last chapter matter by tying the number of Demonic Beasts increase with the number of Crest Stones successfully stolen.

1 hour ago, Sunwoo said:

...sigh, Three Houses is trying to keep more balls in the air than it can handle, and thus keeps dropping the ball on key details like this.

Edelgard literally trying to kill her friends and then saying she's just kidding despite literally telling her soldiers to kill them and then her friends joining her side anyway as if they weren't just trying to fight to the death...

Caspar: "Explain yourself, Edelgard!"

Edelgard: "It was just a prank, bro."

Caspar: "Damn, you really got me! I'm in."

so yeah removing the Holy Tomb and just having Edelgard unveil herself some other way in the forest would probably improve a lot.

Maybe move the "choice" on Black eagle routes to after the skip? Like, Teach is heartened to meet back up with Edelgard, but shocked to find that she had instigated a war in their absence. Forcing them to make a choice between the Empire and the Church.

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Also,. since we got past that point, I must say, for someone who really wanted the other two house leaders out of their way, Edelgard really didn't think her plan through, considering what happens in the prologue...

gru_template.png:

"In disguise, I hire Kostas to kill 'noble brats'."

"Claude and Dimitri are 'noble brats'.

"I am also a noble brat."

"...I am also a noble brat."

8 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Again the Agarthans bypass Byleths power in the cutscenes...if only they did it in the gameplay as well. I guess it doesn't matter that much in this route...

It's almost like they accidentally deleted a scene where they confirmed that's what's going on. Of course, that wouldn't explain how much time Professr had before the shadow realm spell actually hit her.

Edited by Alastor15243

Three Houses Day 49: Chapter 13

Ah yes, the infamous Chapter 13. A chapter that, from everything I've heard, is a strong contender for worst chapter in the game when you play on Maddening mode.

But we'll get to the reasons why in a second. First we have to get there. There's no Monastery stuff this chapter, just story stuff. Which ordinarily would be a refreshing change of pace... but of course it comes with a catch, as we'll soon see.

Anyway, I do like the detail how the year has changed to the imperial calendar and not the Church one, where it's supposed to be the year 1000 today. You know, that big millennium festival.

What I don't like is how, yet again, all the cool stuff, like invaded kingdoms and political intrigue, happens entirely offscreen. We're just told about all the stuff that happened in our absence, and yet again I find myself forcibly reminded of those cheap-ass ancient Greek plays that just had everything other than conversation happen offscreen and had some dude tell us about it after the fact.

It's curious that the villager describes his location as “a village at the base of the monastery”. Presumably this is his home, right? Why wouldn't he call it by name, rather than solely with reference to a building that was destroyed and abandoned five years ago?

...Shit, looks like I gave credit to the game where it wasn't due. I think I misremembered hearing the year was 995 before. The wiki has no reference to this system.

...Uh...

...The backdrop for this village implies it's... destroyed.

Granted, that would explain why he doesn't call the village by name if it's not his home because nobody's living here, but then what's he doing here?

I heard a rumor that Imperial troops went up there to investigate and got slaughtered! Every last one!”

Haha. Yeah, I bet I know who's behind that.

There are a bunch of dead soldiers on the ground in this cutscene, but no blood. Unless those shadows are actually really clean and neat pools of blood.

So... Dimitri's... clearly been through the wringer. In addition to the missing eye, he's just generally a paranoid wreck who thinks Professr is an imperial spy.

Okay, Dimitri's vocal performance is still holding strong. I'm really enjoying it, even if I'm nowhere near as emotionally invested as the writers seem to think I should be at the sight of my best and brightest student reduced to a sad and broken murderhobo.

But look! Gilbert's here! Lemme guess, he's looking for Dimitri.

Yep! Looks like it!

...This is the third fucking map narration scene I've gotten without a single battle between them. What the fuck is going on with this shit?

Also, curiously, they don't color the territory of the empire supporters in the Alliance red like they did with the Kingdom. Is that supposed to be representative of Claude “putting up the outward appearance of a unified front”? And how exactly does he do that? Is he cutting off the Empire-loyal places from contacting the rest of the country?

...But regardless... here we are.

So yeah. Here's the deal with this chapter.

There's no prep screen.

You don't get to trade items.

You don't get to reclass.

You don't get to re-equip skills.

You don't get any control whatsoever over who takes part.

Your students from your house, and only from your house, will gradually show up in groups of two, scattered all over the map. Meaning that failing to train any of them will turn them into a major liability. What's more, Dimitri isn't a wyvern lord anymore, he's been forcibly reclassed into his new personal class of high lord.

I have heard horror stories about the shit people have wound up having to put up with when playing this on maddening. Thankfully, I am not. So let's do this.

See you in the eternal flames”.

It would've been badass if they had the balls to let Dimitri say “See you in Hell” like they clearly wanted to.

Gilbert, Ashe, Annette and Mercedes show up. I sure hope Gilbert's good, because he's the only thing keeping Ashe alive up there.

Having some dark fliers who can freely move to support other areas is definitely going to help, even though I'll only have two of them here because the others are Constance and Flayn.

Mercedes can just barely handle a brawler on her own, which is nice. But if she couldn't, and if the equally-squishy Annette couldn't fare much better, you can imagine just how easily this would've gone wrong, because they were stuck in a situation where mage classes can't get past that brawler without stepping in his range.

In come Sylvain, Ingrid and Felix.

Yet again Ingrid's voice performance struggles to convey genuine emotion. I don't know what kind of subdued shit they were going for there, but she doesn't sound happy to see Professr at all.

...It suddenly occurs to me how weird it is that they all got the idea to get here the day before the millennium festival. That villager explicitly said it was going to be tomorrow.

Fun fact though: when Annette tried to attack somebody by Professr, I discovered that she had enough available commands on her menu that it became a full looping wheel. Didn't know that could happen.

I accidentally opened a door with Ingrid using a door key I forgot she had when I was trying to attack, and as a result Felix and friends are getting brigaded, even though Ingrid thankfully could canto to safety. Let's see if I can salvage this...

...Yep, no problem at all. Almost time to beat the fake boss. Because of course there's a fake boss. This is Three Houses.

Alright, one chest left, and everyone but the “boss” is dead. And in that last chest...

...An armor-slaying holy axe, okay, I can make use of that. Now then... to end the turn so that all of my actions are free, because of course the decoy is going to spawn mid-turn.

Yep, he shows up, and thankfully Annette is right there to end him with cutting gale.

We all made a promise on this very day five years ago”.

...Did an entire day pass between when I first met Dimitri and when we rooted out the bandits? Or am I completely misremembering and they made the promise to reunite the day before the festival?

...Okay, so apparently Dimitri managed to escape from a cell. And when Gilbert talked about how strong the cells were, I was so sure they were going to say that Dimitri just fucking punched through the walls with his freakish monster strength. But no, Dedue broke him out and apparently died in his place. I'm hoping that Dimitri simply believes he died whether it's true or not, and that I didn't totally fail the conditions to get him back. Not that I planned on using him much longer, but it'd suck if I fucked that up all the same.

That said though, if this is how the scene goes down whether Dedue survived or not, this is an amazingly disrespectful way to kill off a major character, especially given it's literally just two lines, one from Dimitri and one from Gilbert, before Gilbert swiftly moves on to business. I think the Yotsuba Group in Death Note had more to say regarding the death of that one board member of theirs than this game has our heroes say about the death of Dedue.

...But it's not like the game hasn't done this before. I seem to remember them killing Dimitri offscreen in a similar fashion on the Golden Deer route.

[Cornelia] is a mage who has served the royal family for more than 20 years.”

What, did she start when she was eight? Whose blood is she bathing in to still look that young? Because I looked it up and did the math, and you need to kill like two dozen people just to fill one fucking tub.

Alright, Gilbert talks to us in private, and...

...Okay, when Gilbert explains that Cornelia tried to frame Dimitri for the murder of King Regent Rufus, it suddenly occurs to me that that would mean Dimitri had to have successfully escaped capture at the big Battle of Garreg Mach. How exactly did it end that Rhea got captured but they still won resoundingly enough for Dimitri to safely return to the Kingdom and thus no longer have an alibi regarding the murder of Rufus?

...Okay, this cutscene just showed Cornelia from the back, and seriously... what the fuck is the fur trim behind the neck on the outfit Cornelia's wearing? It looks like it would have to be held up by metal wire or something, because there's a big hole in it for her hair to go down and show off her backless dress. I really hope I remember to check that when we fight her, because I genuinely do not understand what I'm even looking at.

...But that's enough for today. We've reached the save point, which is as good a point as any to finish up. We'll be starting on Chapter 14 tomorrow.

Stay safe, everyone.

15 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

What, did she start when she was eight? Whose blood is she bathing in to still look that young? Because I looked it up and did the math, and you need to kill like two dozen people just to fill one fucking tub.

what

16 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Azure Moon was my first path, and I was rather baffled that Rhea never showed up again in person after the time skip. It felt lacking. Like the game was building up stuff about her that was going to be explained later, and then they decided that Azure Moon was the Dimitri show, what is anything else?

Azure Moon was my last path so it didn't bother me so much, but it's definitely a blemish on the story as a stand alone work. Honestly I think it would have been better if they just killed of Rhea at the end of Part 1 in Verdant Wind and Azure Moon. It's not like she ends up doing much more in Verdant Wind.

16 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Frankly I was surprised that the scene with Seteth confiscating books that talk about the immaculate one was restricted to Verdant Wind, one of the routes most sympathetic to the church, and not the Black Eagle routes.

It'd give a sense that these people are actual actors in the world that do things independent of what house you choose if it appeared in both. Instead of each house leader being almost completely interchangeable. Dimitri rushing the Flame Emperor and Thales during their (ridiculous) monastery meet up should have happened in the other routes too. For players who haven't reached Azure Moon yet it would entice mystery as to what's up with Dimitri and what is happening behind the scenes, while for people who have played Azure Moon, seeing it happen from a different perspective could hit that minor dopamine hit of "hey, I remember that happening". And just in general it'd make complete sense that it happens anyway.

16 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I dunno about that; from what I oft see stated when the topic of recruitment is brought up, earlier recruitment is generally better.

Even with her grand plan, I can't help but noticing that Edelgard had absolutely everything going in her favor. In non Crimson Flower routes she managed to kidnap Rhea, sabotage pull a coup in the Kingdom and gain half the alliance on her side, yet some how it still isn't enough to give her victory and she remains in a deadlock for five years. Like absolutely nothing could have went better for her in the war effort and she still ends up losing. Makes it seem like, despite the Empire being the strongest army, it was suicidal to go up against both of the other nations at once, as she couldn't even manage to beat them when they were in the midst of civil war. Meanwhile in Crimson Flower everything goes against her with Rhea not being captured and the Kingdom not suffering a coup (and her possibly forgoing using Demonic Beasts as a wartime policy), yet she still remains in a deadlock because Claude just decides to not fight her despite doing so in the other routes. Based on how much she struggles in the other routes, I can't help but think that if Claude did send half the alliance to attack her in Crimson Flower than she wouldn't have been around when Byleth wakes up five years later.

16 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Lampshading a bad plot point doesn't stop it from being a bad plot point. Edelgard also says she didn't actually mean it when she told her soldiers to kill her friends, that doesn't alleviate the actual issue that she told her soldiers to kill her friends even if an explanation exists in which she secretly tells her soldiers in advance that she was going to say that and that they were to ignore it and instead fight as if they were using lethal means even after the enemy slaughters half of them. It's just a ridiculous scenario.

14 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

sigh... Its probably a little too early to get into it, but there should have been a fight against actual Agarthans in Azure Moon instead of just against disguised Agarthans...

I'm actually fine with that. He gets his confrontation with Corneria which narratively is more relevant to him.

13 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Caspar: "Explain yourself, Edelgard!"

Edelgard: "It was just a prank, bro."

Caspar: "Damn, you really got me! I'm in."

Maybe move the "choice" on Black eagle routes to after the skip? Like, Teach is heartened to meet back up with Edelgard, but shocked to find that she had instigated a war in their absence. Forcing them to make a choice between the Empire and the Church.

That would also make it so the reunion scene that plays in Silver Snow could actually exist in the route where you have Edelgard. The fact that it's missing in Crimson Flower just feels like the dichotomy is off.

17 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Would have made a bit more sense to hold off until there was actual resistance before resorting to that. What if Byleth and the students decided to cooperate with her (say because none of them brought their weapons to the holy tome because no one was expecting a fight)? Would have turned people into monsters for no reason then. And you'd be stuck with the vexing job of actually trying to get the things out of there.

52 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Three Houses Day 49: Chapter 13

Ah yes, the infamous Chapter 13. A chapter that, from everything I've heard, is a strong contender for worst chapter in the game when you play on Maddening mode.

But we'll get to the reasons why in a second. First we have to get there. There's no Monastery stuff this chapter, just story stuff. Which ordinarily would be a refreshing change of pace... but of course it comes with a catch, as we'll soon see.

Anyway, I do like the detail how the year has changed to the imperial calendar and not the Church one, where it's supposed to be the year 1000 today. You know, that big millennium festival.

What I don't like is how, yet again, all the cool stuff, like invaded kingdoms and political intrigue, happens entirely offscreen. We're just told about all the stuff that happened in our absence, and yet again I find myself forcibly reminded of those cheap-ass ancient Greek plays that just had everything other than conversation happen offscreen and had some dude tell us about it after the fact.

It's curious that the villager describes his location as “a village at the base of the monastery”. Presumably this is his home, right? Why wouldn't he call it by name, rather than solely with reference to a building that was destroyed and abandoned five years ago?

Maybe I'm misremembering, but isn't that Pallardo? Aka the boss of the chapter, meaning those incongruities would make sense. Regardless I'll take this as an opportunity to say that, while I don't particularly like Pallardo or his design, I actually hope he appears in future Fire Emblem games. As a corrupt merchant makes a good foil to Anna now that avarice has completely consumed her character. And just in general having the continuity defying Anna have an equally continuity defying enemy is a fun idea (this makes more sense when one knows Pallardo is also the boss of Anna's paralogue).

52 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

We all made a promise on this very day five years ago”.

...Did an entire day pass between when I first met Dimitri and when we rooted out the bandits? Or am I completely misremembering and they made the promise to reunite the day before the festival?

I think it might have. It looks like sunrise during the reunion scenes, and it's night during the gameplay map. So if it's late evening in when Byleth returns, one can easily summarize it takes a decent twelveish hours to walk from the village to the monastery.

16 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Maybe I'm misremembering, but isn't that Pallardo? Aka the boss of the chapter, meaning those incongruities would make sense. Regardless I'll take this as an opportunity to say that, while I don't particularly like Pallardo or his design, I actually hope he appears in future Fire Emblem games. As a corrupt merchant makes a good foil to Anna now that avarice has completely consumed her character. And just in general having the continuity defying Anna have an equally continuity defying enemy is a fun idea (this makes more sense when one knows Pallardo is also the boss of Anna's paralogue).

*cries in Jake*

1 minute ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

Ayo, nice. When are we going to get the dedicated Pallardo thread?

Expect to see it randomly sometime in the next two years. I either have an idea for a thread and just don't make it for bizarre amount of time, or I make one immediately when the inspiration strikes me. I don't claim to understand the workings of my own mind, I just live in it.

19 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Oh hey, I forgot that I actually posted in this thread. Funnily enough though, I was looking for that image macro I posted in there recently and just didn't remember where I'd posted it. So that sort of solves itself, thanks.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I heard a rumor that Imperial troops went up there to investigate and got slaughtered! Every last one!”

Drink!

Also, curiously, they don't color the territory of the empire supporters in the Alliance red like they did with the Kingdom. Is that supposed to be representative of Claude “putting up the outward appearance of a unified front”? And how exactly does he do that? Is he cutting off the Empire-loyal places from contacting the rest of the country?

Presumably because the "Faerghus Dukedom" exists as a puppet state of the Empire, whereas the Alliance, and its individual houses, retain their autonomy.

See you in the eternal flames”.

It would've been badass if they had the balls to let Dimitri say “See you in Hell” like they clearly wanted to.

Please no. That would imply that such a place as "Hell" exists in the religious canon of the Church of Seiros. Coincidentally sharing its name with the Norse -> Christian conception. "Eternal flames" captures the feeling of damnation without resting upon real-world religious references.

Mercedes can just barely handle a brawler on her own, which is nice. But if she couldn't, and if the equally-squishy Annette couldn't fare much better, you can imagine just how easily this would've gone wrong, because they were stuck in a situation where mage classes can't get past that brawler without stepping in his range.

TBH in my latest VW playthrough, Wyvern Rider Hilda could get out, but Sniper Leonie was just... stuck. She couldn't move out of her corner without triggering the Brawler. And she couldn't one-round the Brawler, either.

...An armor-slaying holy axe, okay, I can make use of that. Now then... to end the turn so that all of my actions are free, because of course the decoy is going to spawn mid-turn.

With the Lightning Axe art, it's basically an instant death sentence upon any armored target. Really wild to think that, presumably, it was wielded by the Nabatean whom Gloucester slew to receive power from. A shame it never gets an icon or lore.

I think the Yotsuba Group in Death Note had more to say regarding the death of that one board member of theirs than this game has our heroes say about the death of Dedue.

Great callback to a genuinely chilling scene.

[Cornelia] is a mage who has served the royal family for more than 20 years.”

Almost as though there's something about her that affects how she ages, hm?

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Even with her grand plan, I can't help but noticing that Edelgard had absolutely everything going in her favor. In non Crimson Flower routes she managed to kidnap Rhea, sabotage pull a coup in the Kingdom and gain half the alliance on her side, yet some how it still isn't enough to give her victory and she remains in a deadlock for five years. Like absolutely nothing could have went better for her in the war effort and she still ends up losing. Makes it seem like, despite the Empire being the strongest army, it was suicidal to go up against both of the other nations at once, as she couldn't even manage to beat them when they were in the midst of civil war. Meanwhile in Crimson Flower everything goes against her with Rhea not being captured and the Kingdom not suffering a coup (and her possibly forgoing using Demonic Beasts as a wartime policy), yet she still remains in a deadlock because Claude just decides to not fight her despite doing so in the other routes. Based on how much she struggles in the other routes, I can't help but think that if Claude did send half the alliance to attack her in Crimson Flower than she wouldn't have been around when Byleth wakes up five years later.

Fair, but I'm thinking more in the context of what happens in the prologue - It was supposed to be an assassination attempt, but the one who almost gets killed is the one who ordered the hit. That's a serious fundamental failure, on par with the trick play the Colts tried - and failed - to pull against the Patriots

16 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

gru_template.png:

"In disguise, I hire Kostas to kill 'noble brats'."

"Claude and Dimitri are 'noble brats'.

"I am also a noble brat."

"...I am also a noble brat."

This is the kind of crap I'd sooner expect from a rookie assassin than someone who's trying to rule Fodlan, tbh...

19 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Please no. That would imply that such a place as "Hell" exists in the religious canon of the Church of Seiros. Coincidentally sharing its name with the Norse -> Christian conception. "Eternal flames" captures the feeling of damnation without resting upon real-world religious references.

And just in general, eternal flames sounds less cliched than "see you in hell". Though if anyone is looking for alternatives to hell for such reasons, perdition is a good substitute.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

And just in general, eternal flames sounds less cliched than "see you in hell". Though if anyone is looking for alternatives to hell for such reasons, perdition is a good substitute.

None of those options sound as cool or snappy though. Felix's "Burn until we meet again" gets the idea across way better funny enough.