Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

10 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

So to be sure, then, clicking Hunter's Volley isn't an instant kill, but rather is a tool whose effectiveness depends on working with other tools (i.e. the right skills, weapon, battalion)? That seems like good design to me.

The thing that is supposed to kill doesnt kill because of overinflated stats seems like good design to you?

You must really enjoy Awakening Lunatic/+.

10 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Also, are you sure you're as optimized as you think you are? Could you have attached a stronger battalion? Given your Sniper an attack-boosting adjutant? Or maybe used Rally Strength, to really push them over the edge?

Opportunity costs, they exist.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

Are you trolling? It makes more sense that you're trolling than these as elegitmste opinions. You choose to play the game in a way you find unfun and then complain about it beong unfun. It doesn't make any sense.

You lack a quote.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

I could answer this, or I could let you answer it.

On 11/25/2021 at 11:17 AM, Imuabicus said:

Re: Smort: It´s a smarter way than havin to gain addditional skill ranks on player units. I also only included it as a sort of safety, because I know people will be like "But what until you have Alert Stance?" Additionally TH enemies seem to trigger as a groups often enough - luring at minimum one enemy will lure more than one, but I´m sure you knew that and chose to ignore it for an entirely justified reason. 

In addition there's also gambits meaning if you try to enemy phase a unit they can windsweep you leaving you staggered with reduced stats. Also three range archers with poison strike and fast enemies that can on round most units. The things you're generally complaining about because they make it more difficult to play in a manner you stubbornly insist on doing even though you don't like it.

I´ve gone through most of this already and how it isn´t a problem depending where you are at in your campaign, so I´ll take your inability to explain how TH punishes EP oriented play as an admission that TH is in fact built for EP.

Especially when considering your insistence on support gambits, when the support gambits that have been mentioned in this portion of the thread show most of their effectiveness on EP.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Sunwoo said:

Actually, on a serious note, aside from Claude are there any male rulers who abdicate responsibility of ruling their territory and just leave it to whoever the main lord/avatar is? Claude only half-counts because he's fucking off to Almyra, where he also has a throne, so ...

The unnamed King of Aurelis abdicates control of the Kingdom of Aurelis to Marth in Mystery/New Mystery, and seeing as Marth is able to unite the 7 Kingdoms into the United Kingdom of Archanea in the end presumably the young prince Yubello abdicate the Grust as well (not to mention the females that would have to abdicate, Nyna abdicating the Holy Kingdom of Archanea, Sheema abdicating from Gra, and Minerva abdicating from Macedon, the last two kindoms being his own Altea, and his wife's birthright of Talys).

3 hours ago, Jotari said:

I can confirm that yes, cannons exist on ships in Three Houses. You can visibly see them on the Deirdru map on this chapter. Though I'm not sure if this was intention lore. As the scaling for the ships doesn't seem tonwork with the units. The cannons look really tiny. Which makes me think they ripped the ship model from somewhere else.

...That... is hilarious. And not remotely something I'd put past these devs.

3 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

The thing that is supposed to kill doesnt kill because of overinflated stats seems like good design to you?

You lack a quote.

I´ve gone through most of this already and how it isn´t a problem depending where you are at in your campaign, so I´ll take your inability to explain how TH punishes EP oriented play as an admission that TH is in fact built for EP.

Especially when considering your insistence on support gambits, when the support gambits that have been mentioned in this portion of the thread show most of their effectiveness on EP.

Okay I think you are trolling now. Either that or you're just too obstinate to actually listen to anyone else. You're rejecting your own words. You say things aren't an issue yet also say you slowly crawl through levels and you complain about things like poison strike 3 range archers when the whole point of them is to discourage you from playing in the unfun way you play. Thisnis thenlogic youre working under

*Play the game in a way you find unfun

*Complain that the game is not fun

*Insist the way you play is the only way the game can be played

*Spend 60 turns clearing a map.

You must see there's a flaw in your logic there. People are telling you the method you're using is not uow Three Houses is best played and you yourself do t like playing it that way. Try to play Three Houses more aggressively sometime. You might be surprised at the results. And if you still dont like it thats fine, Three Houses isnt for everyone. But you're just shooting yourself in the foot if your complaining about the game being bad when you're playing it a bad way.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

The unnamed King of Aurelis abdicates control of the Kingdom of Aurelis to Marth in Mystery/New Mystery, and seeing as Marth is able to unite the 7 Kingdoms into the United Kingdom of Archanea in the end presumably the young prince Yubello abdicate the Grust as well (not to mention the females that would have to abdicate, Nyna abdicating the Holy Kingdom of Archanea, Sheema abdicating from Gra, and Minerva abdicating from Macedon, the last two kindoms being his own Altea, and his wife's birthright of Talys).

Minerva's rule of Macedonia itself is somewhat questionable considering Michalis is still alive. And he actually wants to rule again. But he was so badly inserted I to the plot to begin with and then awkwardly retconned to live through the whole game that the only way to write around him was to put in an ending were he apparently goes off an conquers some unrelated kingdom to fulfil his kingly ambitions.

Edited by Jotari

17 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Minerva's rule of Macedonia itself is somewhat questionable considering Michalis is still alive. And he actually wants to rule again. But he was so badly inserted I to the plot to begin with and then awkwardly retconned to live through the whole game that the only way to write around him was to put in an ending were he apparently goes off an conquers some unrelated kingdom to fulfil his kingly ambitions.

Isn't it more that Michalis doesn't want to rule? That he holds his loyalists in contempt, says he doesn't care about ruling Macedon anymore and just leaves without taking his throne. That's partially why I think is ending is so garbage. That Michelis is a walking disaster as a king, that he seems to realize it and then still gets a kingdom to go ruin again at the end. 

It also brings up a rather unfortunate contrast. Hardin isn't responsible for his own actions as a villain and he has to be put down, but Michelis very willingly became irredeemably evil and gets a happy ending despite of it. 

4 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

Every attack available to the player is "supposed to kill". Believe it or not, enemies requiring two player-phase units to kill (rather than one) actually forces the player to make use of more of their units. If I have two units, and neither can get the kill on an enemy, then chipping said enemy down with Hunter's Volley for the other one to finish is certainly a good contribution. And, as I demonstrated, even some of the sturdiest enemies in Maddening can be one-rounded, if you come at them with the right setup.

I haven't played it much. I don't find it gives the player the same amount of tools to deal with enemies as 3H does, and encourages the player to simply grind up to meet enemy benchmarks. That said, I may have to give it a proper try some day.

Exactly my point. You're able to build the unit in question to one-round, but you choose not to, because the supporting resource is needed elsewhere. For my part, I also have a Shamir who isn't one-rounding with Hunter's Volley. Perhaps if I'd picked up Death Blow, she would. But that would mean building an Axe rank I had no use for otherwise, and either forgoing Hit +20 from Archer mastery, or delaying Sniper mastery. I chose to forgo Brigand, in order to get a weaker HV, but sooner. In this way, the game presents an opportunity cost trade-off, and forces the player to balance what they want immediately versus in the long-term. I personally like this kind of design, but you may disagree, and that's fine.

6 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

I haven't played it much. I don't find it gives the player the same amount of tools to deal with enemies as 3H does, and encourages the player to simply grind up to meet enemy benchmarks. That said, I may have to give it a proper try some day.

It has a completely fucked beginning, but it gets more fun the further in you get. I did it once, and while P through 3 have me reluctant to try again, I did enjoy myself doing it. It's fun using a small group of galeforce-using broken monsters to deal with tons of enemies with random skills you have to improvise against.

39 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

It has a completely fucked beginning, but it gets more fun the further in you get. I did it once, and while P through 3 have me reluctant to try again, I did enjoy myself doing it. It's fun using a small group of galeforce-using broken monsters to deal with tons of enemies with random skills you have to improvise against.

Thanks for the tip! I played a lot of Awakening, but never really got into the optimal strategies (i.e. lowmanning, Nosfertanking, Galeforce). So I didn't make it far inrmto Lunatic. Maybe I'd enjoy it if I played it smarter.

1 minute ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Thanks for the tip! I played a lot of Awakening, but never really got into the optimal strategies (i.e. lowmanning, Nosfertanking, Galeforce). So I didn't make it far inrmto Lunatic. Maybe I'd enjoy it if I played it smarter.

Yeah, there's a guide I followed, at least early on, in order to get through the early chapters. I had to improvise by the time of around Chapter 5 due to variations in how my party turned out, but by then I had my own idea of what I needed to do:

Three Houses Day 67: Chapter 20 Weeks 1-4

Alright, this is probably gonna be fairly quick and uneventful. The big Minecraft update is coming out today, and I intend to be prepared to play it with my friends as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

I talked to Anna for the speedwing trade secrets quest, and her talk about how the Alliance is gone temporarily made me think I had slipped into an alternate reality where we lost the battle, before remembering I am in fact playing Three Houses, and also in hell.

...Now that I've got wyvern lord unlocked for Professr... there's basically nothing of value I can think to do with my time at the Monastery except meals and maybe the sauna.

I did the sword tournament, which was amusing because Felix, with C in swords, is my best swordfighter. He still swept the thing, but not comfortably. Amusingly, the only one he could double was the final boss, the mortal savant, and one of the classes he fought was a pegasus knight, which doesn't even have swordfaire.

Anyway, I settle for teaching Professr swords and magic. Goodness knows I have plenty of teachers for the latter.

...There's a dog standing in front of a grave in the graveyard.

...That is simultaneously adorable and depressing.

So Dimitri now has battalion vantage, and I'm 90% certain he already has battalion wrath. Hmmm... should I try to fit those on him now...?

Leonie's reaction to being taken to choir practice is pretty hilarious. “What's the point of singing practice? It's not going to make me stronger.”

...FUCK.

I accidentally did a tea party with Flayn. Fuck. Okay. Let's do this. No guides, let's see how much of a shitshow this is.

...I somehow aced it, except for the one thing I'm allowed to get wrong. I picked exploring the monastery when the correct answer was apparently “Guessing someone's age”, which... uh... doesn't remotely feel like a topic she'd find pleasant.

I did a seminar simply because I didn't give a shit to spend too much time this month.

And I accidentally just didn't do any instruction instead of automatic instruction.

I don't even care at this point. This training is just a formality by the end of the game. I'm practically coming up with excuses for what to do.

Alright, and with another seminar, I'm down to the last week. Let's do this.

...Huh, so Flayn and Seteth have a new meal conversation now. Cool.

But yeah, that's it for this month. Tomorrow I'll do supports, and if I still have time, hopefully also the mission.

Also, looks like next chapter is the last Monastery segment, followed by two consecutive missions.

...Looks like we may very well be done this week then.

...Stay safe, everyone.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

I did the sword tournament, which was amusing because Felix, with C in swords, is my best swordfighter. He still swept the thing, but not comfortably. Amusingly, the only one he could double was the final boss, the mortal savant, and one of the classes he fought was a pegasus knight, which doesn't even have swordfaire.

It's always weird seeing flying classes in the arena. Like, bringing your steed into battle with you doesn't exactly seem like a fair fight. Then again, I guess cutting down on class diversity would make the 3H arena even more of a snoozefest.

Leonie's reaction to being taken to choir practice is pretty hilarious. “What's the point of singing practice? It's not going to make me stronger.”

Disappointed she doesn't use the chance to train her battle cry, a la Caspar.

Huh, so Flayn and Seteth have a new meal conversation now. Cool.

The custom meal dialogues are one of my favorite little touches. Sometimes I'll go out of my way for them, even though it does hardly anything gameplay-wise.

Yeah, there's a guide I followed, at least early on, in order to get through the early chapters. I had to improvise by the time of around Chapter 5 due to variations in how my party turned out, but by then I had my own idea of what I needed to do:

Cool, I may have to check that out when I return to Awakening. 

3 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Isn't it more that Michalis doesn't want to rule? That he holds his loyalists in contempt, says he doesn't care about ruling Macedon anymore and just leaves without taking his throne. That's partially why I think is ending is so garbage. That Michelis is a walking disaster as a king, that he seems to realize it and then still gets a kingdom to go ruin again at the end. 

It also brings up a rather unfortunate contrast. Hardin isn't responsible for his own actions as a villain and he has to be put down, but Michelis very willingly became irredeemably evil and gets a happy ending despite of it. 

I've played old mystery more recently than New Mystery and I remember him clearly saying in that that he still wants to rule the world and that he'd settle things with Minerva later. Maybe that stuff you mentioned is what they retconned or added to his faux death scene to give some semblance of sense to the character.

Really? Even in the original Michalis only says he just wants to save Maria and kill Gharnef. He does say he wanted to have Macedon rule the world/continent, but he speaks in past tense.

16 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I've played old mystery more recently than New Mystery and I remember him clearly saying in that that he still wants to rule the world and that he'd settle things with Minerva later. Maybe that stuff you mentioned is what they retconned or added to his faux death scene to give some semblance of sense to the character.

Different translations probably say different things but the serenes translation goes

Original

Misheil:
Ryuke, a coward like you wouldn’t dare to do something this big.
Did Hardin fool you with his fancy words?
Ryuke:
Ah! …You are…
How are you still…?
Misheil:
You thought I was dead?
Haha… Nevermind.
Give Minerva back to me.
I don’t care about this country anymore.
You can do what you want with it.
However, I won’t rest until I have dealt with “that guy” personally.

Remake

Michalis:
Rucke, I'm impressed a spineless coward like you could throw this country into so much chaos. I'll hazard a guess that Hardin talked you into this?

Rucke:
Wha-! ...Y-you're... B-but how...

Michalis:
Thought I was dead? Haha... My death was but a trifle. Hand Minerva over to me, Rucke. I no longer have plans for this country. Do with it as you please. However, I won't rest until I've disposed of "him" with my own hands.

Both versions depict a strong dislike of Marth(assuming its Marth and not Gharnef) but also a strong disinterest in Macedon.

50 minutes ago, Jotari said:

That was added in the remake, actually. It's not in the original. It's in their support convo:

Michalis:
Pointless worry. Maria saved my life and I do not intend to waste her efforts by throwing it away. You ask what I'm seeking? That should be obvious. I haven't abandoned my ambitions. Assuredly I'll fight with you again, for the hegemony over Macedon.

Minerva:
Are you serious, Brother? Can't we just hold our hands and walk the same path together, as siblings?

Michalis:
Nonsense. We carry the blood of warriors in our veins--only on the battlefield can we find our true selves. It is inevitable that we should clash with each other. If you want to protect the Macedon you hold dear, come at me with your lance and do not hesitate for a second.

On the other hand, in his support with Kris he does mention leaving:

Michalis:
Go ahead. I'm planning to leave this land once I save Maria. There's no point in him knowing.

Chris:
Leave... this land?

Michalis:
That's correct.

So you can think he's contradicting himself... or his claim to fight Minerva is only to goad her to not slip up. Their support convo does start with Minerva telling him she's worried about him, as Michalis noticed she seems to be slipping in her fighting prowess. And it's not like Michalis knows both Minerva and Maria plan to abdicate as well and help Lena at her orphanage.

Ultimately, his ending states:

Michalis - Renewed Prince

Accounts are conflicted about Michalis after the war. Some said he ruled over Macedon once again, while others claimed he departed to conquer another continent.

Notice the key words there: claimed, accounts are conflicted, some said. Michalis doesn't have any ambition of conquering again, he says so himself. Just save Maria, then leave. However, the people wouldn't know that. So when he leaves, they start theorizing it's because he intends to seek conquest elsewhere after being denied so in Archanea. At least, that's the outcome that seems best considering what we know. That Michalis left, and people simply got the wrong conclusion. The only fact is, he left Archanea seemingly for good.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That was added in the remake, actually. It's not in the original. It's in their support convo:

Oh, good to see I didn't imagine it entirely. Still given what he says in the actual story he cones across as a pretty dang contradictory character. Almost gives fellow long haired wyvern prince, Areone a run for his money.

13 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Oh, good to see I didn't imagine it entirely. Still given what he says in the actual story he cones across as a pretty dang contradictory character. Almost gives fellow long haired wyvern prince, Areone a run for his money.

It's only really the one case. Every other time, including his other conversations with Minerva, he says he's only saving Maria. It's only the support convo that says anything different, and again, it was very likely a bluff because of Minerva's own attitude.

13 minutes ago, Jotari said:

I don't see Arion as being that contradictory. He is a dutiful son, and when daddy goes off to die in battle, he tells Arion to do whatever he wants/thinks best for southern Thracia. Except, daddy had an oppresively strong opinion on what he wanted, Travant spent his entire life dedicated to his goal achieved his way, and told that to his children. Although he says Arion doesn't necessarily have to follow it, the pressure to go along with father's dying wishes weighs too heavily on the prince. It is understandable Arion would buckle and foolishly follow his dad's flaw methods to Thracian unification, resulting in his kingdom's conquest. 

The only contradiction I remember in Arion's personality is his appearance in FE5 and snagging Tahra masterfully from the Empire. That stroke of genius had no precedent in FE4, barring maybe his pretend-killing of Altena. And was perhaps a retcon of sorts to counter Arion's foolish (again, if understandable) blunder of war unto total surrender before Seliph.

23 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't see Arion as being that contradictory. He is a dutiful son, and when daddy goes off to die in battle, he tells Arion to do whatever he wants/thinks best for southern Thracia. Except, daddy had an oppresively strong opinion on what he wanted, Travant spent his entire life dedicated to his goal achieved his way, and told that to his children. Although he says Arion doesn't necessarily have to follow it, the pressure to go along with father's dying wishes weighs too heavily on the prince. It is understandable Arion would buckle and foolishly follow his dad's flaw methods to Thracian unification, resulting in his kingdom's conquest. 

The only contradiction I remember in Arion's personality is his appearance in FE5 and snagging Tahra masterfully from the Empire. That stroke of genius had no precedent in FE4, barring maybe his pretend-killing of Altena. And was perhaps a retcon of sorts to counter Arion's foolish (again, if understandable) blunder of war unto total surrender before Seliph.

The issues mainly come from him pointedly not following Travant's last wish and fighting long after it'd make any sense to, and then defecting when he has absolutely no reason to based on an interaction that is no different to what he had before. I do a breakdown of his motivation  almost line for line here

I'm not the only one who's brought this up. There's been a few threads over the years about his motivation being incoherent.

Edited by Jotari

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Both versions depict a strong dislike of Marth(assuming its Marth and not Gharnef) but also a strong disinterest in Macedon.

I think it's referring to Gharnef, as he's the puppet master behind the kidnapping of Maria.

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Also, looks like next chapter is the last Monastery segment, followed by two consecutive missions.

...Looks like we may very well be done this week then.

...Stay safe, everyone.

Now that we're closing in on the end, I guess it's a nice time to ask, who are ya gonna marry?

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

Maddening blind, Crimson Flower blind, or Three Houses blind?

Crimson Flower blind. I mean, FFS, I'd at least have played through the route a couple times before making the jump to maddening...

Edited by Shadow Mir