Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

Three Houses Day 72: Chapter 22 Mission

...Christ, I just remembered that there's gonna be a whole-ass epilogue after this chapter.

...Which I think I'm gonna devote tomorrow to, given how much space I have in this week anyway.

Anyway, we have yet another “this is it, our final battle” moment where everyone says a big dramatic one-liner. We just did this. And the lines before were better.

...And now... I'm staring at Demonic Beast Edelgard... standing in front of a warped static backdrop... and talking to the camera... while dubstep is playing at a volume like it's coming from another room.

...Three Houses feels like it sometimes has the same intensity of inelegant absurdity as Fates... except the absurdity in Fates makes me laugh. This just... makes me feel empty and disappointed.

Alright, and now “Apex of the World” is playing in the prep screen. I'm pretty sure this didn't happen in Crimson Flower, and I wish it didn't here, either. Apex of the World is a pretty good song, but it doesn't really suit the prep screen. The song that was playing before, when we were all making our big “let's finish this” one-liners for the second time, fits way better, and I'm pretty sure that is the endgame prep theme in every route except I think Silver Snow.

Anyway, these walls everywhere make this place a paradise for my two bow knights. I think they're gonna be my MVPs here, but Dimitri is also obviously going to put in some serious work, especially taking out the mages in the western...

...treasure room?

...A treasure room, on a final fucking map?

...Yeah, I just looked it up. The shit inside isn't worth the effort. Let's just charge ahead.

So yeah, Edelgard's deal appears to be that she has long range and two attacks in one turn. Her attack's only 38, but that's enough that some of my more fragile dark fliers will have to stay back.

Alright, let's do this.

...Aaaand I forgot to repair Dimitri's hand axe.

Restarting.

...And I didn't save any of my preps. Good thing it was just repairs I guess.

...Edelgard has 30 range.

I was wondering who the fuck could target my units so close to the starting point, and apparently it's Edelgard.

...Welp, better hope Edelgard's attack is magical then, or else Constance and Mercedes can't do shit!

...Okay, so she's gonna do 22 damage to Mercedes...

...Looks like it's physical. Fuck.

...I'm now really regretting not saving those dracoshields.

...Okay, so, only Constance is truly fucked. Mercedes, if she unequips fire and replaces it with a shield and continuously stands next to Flayn, can survive two attacks from her. Which is good, because she's our primary healer and it would suck to not be able to use her here.

Looks like I need to make use of Constance while I can, because she's gonna have to stay behind soon.

Shamir literally just barely survives with one HP unassisted if she's attacked twice.

If her stats boost, like, at all when barriers break... I think I'm gonna have to have casualties to win this.

...Wait, Seteth still has his defense rally... I might be able to bring Constance over...

...No, her HP is disgustingly low, she'd need to take 16 or less damage per attack, and with 14 effective defense, rally defense's +4 and Lily's Poise's +3 isn't really gonna help there. Maybe with a strong shield, but then she'd probably get doubled.

...Wait...

...Does the Seiros Shield apply to Edelgard?

Another question I'm hoping to answer: does retribution... apply to her attacks?

...Could I counter-attack her from all the way over here with that gambit?

AND SHE HAS A FUCKING CRIT RATE.

Okay, seriously, this is a terrible idea. The continuous damage? A smidge limiting, I'd say, given how glass some of the cannons in this game can be, but workable. But a crit rate? Every turn I'm just rolling the dice on that 7% crit rate on Mercedes. Twice a turn.

...She seems to prefer to attack two different units a turn. Okay, that makes this significantly more manageable, but she still shouldn't have a crit rate given how little space there is outside of her range. Honestly, if she always attacks two different units, couldn't they give her two attack lines then, to broadcast that?

...After some suspicions upon seeing no lines targeting Constance even while she equipped Bolting, I checked, and yes, it would also appear that Edelgard can't double, regardless of her attack speed. Another thing it would've been nice to know about her attack.

At any rate, I'm advancing north, using Dimitri and his dodgetanking to take out the mages since I don't want to have to take any more gambles with what Edelgard will do than I have to.

...I really should've bought Dimitri a second hand axe. He's an awesome mage killer with it, but he fights so many enemies it feels like it's constantly at risk of breaking.

Dimitri upon entering the throne room: “So... that grotesque creature was Edelgard”.

...That... uh... you'd think he'd be a bit more shocked that Edelgard did this to herself.

...I just heard a stat boost effect after Edelgard's speech.

On enemy phase.

She just buffed someone, either herself, her allies, or both, at the start of enemy phase.

Jesus Christ, it's shit like this...

...Okay, so, what actually happened was she ended her turn, I think, and thus activated her +res personal. But she also changed her weapon to one with way stronger attack... but lower range.

I'm having Dimitri get started fighting her now, and I'm gonna try to fight my way through these twin siege weapon ranges off to the sides.

...Nope, better yet, have Leonie kill the fire orb user and then get rescued back.

...Okay. I'm in the throne room.

Alright, enemy-phasing with Dimitri got the first health bar depleted just barely before I got the stride gambit set up. Let's see if we can one-turn the rest.

Shield's broken. I didn't realize that was possible. The description of it made it sound like it was unbreakable, though I did question why it then said it replenished itself every turn.

Alright, down to the last health bar. She's got wrath now. Thankfully, that doesn't activate unless I start combat while he's at less than half health. Maybe I can one-round her last bar with someone with braving.

Sure as shit can!

Leonie gets the kill!

...Alright, so, probably makes sense to comment on this here...

...It really didn't feel like a final map. I mean, it had a big scary monster as a final boss, but it didn't really present any major challenge, and even compared to the final battles of the other routes it was profoundly subpar. Crimson Flower had an intense time limit with enemy golems constantly getting stronger, and Verdant Wind and Silver Snow had a bunch of enemies you basically had to defeat before the boss would even become mortal. Here... it was just a singular and not-too-threatening gimmick of the boss attacking two enemies per turn before she was swiftly rushed at the end of the map, with no reinforcements showing up to threaten us despite the game warning us we needed to leave units behind to secure the stairs. Which I didn't do.

Honestly, really disappointing, even by this game's standards.

...So her husk form is fading. So we didn't get a transformation in, but we see a transformation out. Yeah, that... totally doesn't make up for it. So either that was some kind of armor that's faded now that she's been defeated, or killing her brings her back to normal... or she's dying as herself now.

...Okay, the position from which Dimitri is extending his hand to her looks... amazingly dumb. Like, a pose you'd put a doll with few points of articulation in. He's not bending over, he's not bending his legs, he's standing completely upright with only his one arm extended down to her.

...But yeah, she's apparently... fine. And has completely regained her human form without consequence. And Dimitri's extending the hand of friendship. I have two guesses. Either she goes “it's too late for me... I'm already dying”, or...

...yep. Yep. She takes a knife out at the last second and tries to throw it at Dimitri's neck.

The same dagger he gave her.

That is... a fucking low blow.

Thankfully it hits... some... non-vital location near his collarbone, I guess? He pulls it out and it's clearly bloody, but... he's just walking away in no serious need of medical attention. Somehow.

...But honestly, I'd probably be getting serious feels here if the game and story prior to this point hadn't constantly taken me out of it with its... everything. It's pretty depressing, seeing Dimitri give her one last chance and watch her throw it away in a last-ditch effort to make her dreams come true, simultaneously throwing the symbol of their tragic friendship almost literally back in his face.

Alright, save screen, and... yeah, uh... sorry, I'm not doing the rest of this today. The final update is always... a fucking lot, and I'm not doing it for this game without a fresh start.

So I'll conclude this tomorrow.

Stay safe, everyone.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...treasure room?

I can't remember what's in those treasure chests, assuming I've ever even got them. But I do know that, for some inexplicable reason Verdant Wind gives you Indra's Arrow in its final map hidden below the bridge, faraway from the action as if it's some kind of powerful easter egg. It's like someone read the Crimson Flower script about it being a weapon almost on par with relics, believed that applied to gameplay and thought it'd make a difference in the final map when, by the time you get to it, Nemesis is probably the last enemy alive. And no shade towards Indra's Arrow, magic weapons are decent in this game, but it's when you forge them to have 3 range that they really shine, which you can't do if you get it in the final map! I don't think Silver Snow or Crimson Flower have any chests in the final map, though you can pick up Thunderbrand from Catherine which is actually a treasure worth obtaining at that late stage.

...Okay, so, only Constance is truly fucked. Mercedes, if she unequips fire and replaces it with a shield and continuously stands next to Flayn, can survive two attacks from her. Which is good, because she's our primary healer and it would suck to not be able to use her here.

As I'm sure you probably discovered, Edelgard is coded not to attack the same unit twice. I'm pretty sure. I think she's also forced to attack Hapi due to Hapi's personal, and to me it seemed she had a preference for Dimitri.

...I really should've bought Dimitri a second hand axe. He's an awesome mage killer with it, but he fights so many enemies it feels like it's constantly at risk of breaking.

Gameplay Dimitri is canon Dimitri.

...It really didn't feel like a final map. I mean, it had a big scary monster as a final boss, but it didn't really present any major challenge, and even compared to the final battles of the other routes it was profoundly subpar. Crimson Flower had an intense time limit with enemy golems constantly getting stronger, and Verdant Wind and Silver Snow had a bunch of enemies you basically had to defeat before the boss would even become mortal. Here... it was just a singular and not-too-threatening gimmick of the boss attacking two enemies per turn before she was swiftly rushed at the end of the map, with no reinforcements showing up to threaten us despite the game warning us we needed to leave units behind to secure the stairs. Which I didn't do.

If you don't rush Edelgard in time, an infinite stream of Berserker and Gremories come from the sides that, at least I, had trouble managing.

...yep. Yep. She takes a knife out at the last second and tries to throw it at Dimitri's neck.

The same dagger he gave her.

That is... a fucking low blow.

Thankfully it hits... some... non-vital location near his collarbone, I guess? He pulls it out and it's clearly bloody, but... he's just walking away in no serious need of medical attention. Somehow.

...But honestly, I'd probably be getting serious feels here if the game and story prior to this point hadn't constantly taken me out of it with its... everything. It's pretty depressing, seeing Dimitri give her one last chance and watch her throw it away in a last-ditch effort to make her dreams come true, simultaneously throwing the symbol of their tragic friendship almost literally back in his face.

I don't have much appreciation for Three Houses as a story, but I do dig this scene. Certainly sucks for Dimitri and that outrageously sassy kind of death is completely in character for Edelgard (though I've seen people who try to whitewash Edelgard's character say she wasn't truly trying to hurt Dimitri and was just giving him an excuse to kill her, as if embedding a dagger in someone's neck is something you can try to make non lethal). I also like how its 1 syllable shy of being a completely silent ending. I've said it before somewhere, but Azure Moon generally has some good imagery, despite being trapped within the confines of Three Houses largely bad graphics.

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...treasure room?

Most likely because the map is reused in other routes as non final map, probably.

Yeah some typical 3H laziness ik

...Edelgard has 30 range

but also like 10 hit, no?

Edited by Father Shrimpas

4 minutes ago, Father Shrimpas said:

Most likely because the map is reused in other routes as non final map, probably.

Yeah some typical 3H laziness ik

This reminds me of something I forgot to mention: is there any explanation why she doesn't resort to this form on any other route you fight her?

2 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

This reminds me of something I forgot to mention: is there any explanation why she doesn't resort to this form on any other route you fight her?

I'd assume because you killed Thales before that, unlike the other routes.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Dimitri. He probably makes her go more into the deep end into the other, considering in her eyes, he is everything she refuses. Also she was on the verge of losing everything

In other routes Those who dubstep in the dark weren'T deded yet

Edited by Father Shrimpas

18 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

...What. That was a persona this whole time? Arundel is just Thales? What route revealed that?

Crimson Flower. Not outright stated, but Hubert's investigation into him and the revelations of just how he's able to command confirmed Slitherers and assets like the light javelins implied he is Thales in disguise.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Crimson Flower. Not outright stated, but Hubert's investigation into him and the revelations of just how he's able to command confirmed Slitherers and assets like the light javelins implied he is Thales in disguise.

Ahhhh.

Well, for what it's worth, at last you can say it is finally over (at least, until a new game comes along).

Also, I was watching someone ironman Conquest, and they tried to use Mozu in chapter 8... which didn't go so well, to say the least.

11 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Another question I'm hoping to answer: does retribution... apply to her attacks?

...Could I counter-attack her from all the way over here with that gambit?

Nope. I remember someone else telling me as such.

Anyway, these walls everywhere make this place a paradise for my two bow knights. I think they're gonna be my MVPs here, but Dimitri is also obviously going to put in some serious work, especially taking out the mages in the western...

...treasure room?

...Yeah, I just looked it up. The shit inside isn't worth the effort. Let's just charge ahead.

This makes 3H the first game to have chests on its final map (or some of them at least) since what, Sacred Stones?

...Edelgard has 30 range.

I was wondering who the fuck could target my units so close to the starting point, and apparently it's Edelgard.

...Welp, better hope Edelgard's attack is magical then, or else Constance and Mercedes can't do shit!

...Okay, so she's gonna do 22 damage to Mercedes...

...Looks like it's physical. Fuck.

...I'm now really regretting not saving those dracoshields.

The hit and range of her first weapon vary depending on difficulty, though the might is always 1.

Edited by Shadow Mir

...treasure room?

What even would be good enough to worth the effort at this point?

...What. That was a persona this whole time? Arundel is just Thales? What route revealed that?

Yeah, the way the Agarthans were handled in AM is really dumb.

11 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

This makes 3H the first game to have chests on its final map since what, Sacred Stones?

Three Houses is the first in the entire series if you count the maps where you fight the Final Boss as different from the actual map you have to complete before it without an opportunity to save as different maps. Alternatively if you count the bad endings of FE12/6/3b2 as the final map then FE12 would be the most recent one before Three Houses to have a chest in it.

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

What even would be good enough to worth the effort at this point?

A good final battle chest would probably have to be elevated beyond any sundry and instead become an integral part of the map's design. Which is to say "GET LEGENDARY EQUIPMENT HERE!", that's what comes first to mind. It could make a lick of sense, the villains keep their weaknesses and or means to resist their almighty power as close as possible.

Although you could perhaps ditch the chest and opt for an NPC instead, which serves the same gameplay purpose. Somebody heroic who is desperately clinging to life or has been taken captive and must be reached to acquire whatever it is that makes the final boss beatable. In this more open definition, Julia herself & Naga tome would be a walking final battle chest.

6 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Explained, no. Completely left up to speculation. That its because Thales was taken down first ia dubious to me. As Edelgard is considered so fundamentalist in her belief that she literally can't conceive of her own defeat, according to Hubert. So her not doing it because rhe Agarthans are still around wouldn't factor into her decision at all. In addition she actively wants the Agrthans destroyed,  so her not doing on that front doesn't even make sense with her goals. I think the simplest explanation is just time. Edelgard had an extra two months to plan for a final confrontation. What bothers me less than the Hegemon Husk not showing up in Verdant Wind and Silver Snow is it's absence in Crimson Flower. It would have been good for her to have the option and reject it there to show character growth.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

Explained, no. Completely left up to speculation. That its because Thales was taken down first ia dubious to me. As Edelgard is considered so fundamentalist in her belief that she literally can't conceive of her own defeat, according to Hubert. So her not doing it because rhe Agarthans are still around wouldn't factor into her decision at all. In addition she actively wants the Agrthans destroyed,  so her not doing on that front doesn't even make sense with her goals. I think the simplest explanation is just time. Edelgard had an extra two months to plan for a final confrontation. What bothers me less than the Hegemon Husk not showing up in Verdant Wind and Silver Snow is it's absence in Crimson Flower. It would have been good for her to have the option and reject it there to show character growth.

I kinda thought the implication behind Thales having to be dead is that the Hegemon form comes from Agarthan tech that Thales isn't willing to give to a dubious ally like Edelgard, but whatever incompetent  that replaced him is.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I kinda thought the implication behind Thales having to be dead is that the Hegemon form comes from Agarthan tech that Thales isn't willing to give to a dubious ally like Edelgard, but whatever incompetent  that replaced him is.

Said incompetent would be Myson, the Agrarian fought in the final map. Though that doesn't reallynhold much for me either, as turning Edelgard into a black beast seems like it's be exactly what Thales is after. What Edelgard is to him, ultimately, is a weapon to take down Rhea. He deosnt actually need her for leadership of the empire as he was practically running the empire using the seven before.

Three Houses Day 73: Epilogue

Alright, let's finish up!

...Seeing generic soldiers in this bizarre medieval painting art style is... kinda jarring.

The long reign of the Adrestian empire”

...I hope they're saying the entire Empire no longer exists. Because if they're trying to imply that Edelgard's conquest of Fodlan was a “long reign” when it had a comparable political lifespan to the fucking Confederacy...

...Yeah, okay, I'll give the game the benefit of the doubt that it doesn't consider five and a half years a long reign, since they do say that Faerghus is now the whole continent.

Still though, fuck this. I'm genuinely kinda creeped out by how often the dissolution of multiple countries to be ruled by a foreign power is considered a happy ending.

Jesus Christ is painting Dimitri fucking bizarre.

...Also... uh... whoever drew this has clearly never seen a Duscur person in their lives, as there are two kids I think are supposed to be from Duscur, and their skin is being depicted as, like, literally the color of stone. It's not brown, it's this sickly gray.

...Ah yes, I just realized moments before the painting cut away that someone in it was supposed to be Professr with her back turned to the camera, her ludicrously flamboyant cape from her personal class conveniently masking her entire appearance so that her sex could remain indistinct.

Right, time to propose to Ashe.

...I weirdly like the reprise of the tea time theme here.

...Wait, Ashe proposes to Professr? But isn't the whole point that the avatar is supposed to be shown giving their mother's ring to the person they love?

Ahhh, there it is, she does indeed give it afterwards. It's hilarious that I've played this game with the female avatar twice before now and I genuinely couldn't tell you who proposed first in her confession scenes with Claude and Seteth.

Whoops! Time for my records! Alright, let's go. Christ, this is always so nerve-wracking, even when I can pause!

THEY DON'T FUCKING NUMBER THE CHAPTERS HERE!? I HAVE TO TYPE OUT THE ENTIRE NAME OF EACH BATTLE!?

Fuck this, okay, I'm screenshotting and looking at still images to do this. I do not need the stress of trying to memorize names and numbers with limited time to look at them before they scroll up into oblivion.

White Clouds: An Inevitable Encounter: A Skirmish At Dawn: 6 turns, MVP Dimitri.

White Clouds: Three Houses: Rivalry of the Houses: 9 turns, MVP Felix.

White Clouds: Familiar Scenery: Red Canyon Dominance: 17 turns, MVP Sylvain.

White Clouds: Mutiny in the Mist: The Magdred Ambush: 12 turns, MVP Ingrid.

White Clouds: The Goddess's Rite of Rebirth: Assault at the Rite of Rebirth: 14 turns, MVP Felix.

...Jesus fucking christ, looking at this shit all at once like this makes me realize just how outrageously terrible some of these chapter and map names are.

White Clouds: Tower of the Black Winds: The Gautier Inheritance: 18 turns, MVP Professr.

White Clouds: Paralogue: War for the Weak: 11 turns, MVP Felix.

...If they're just gonna say “paralogue” when talking about paralogues, what the shit was the point of giving chapters different names from the map you fight at the end of them? I assumed that that was to differentiate different major battles you do in the same month! But no! They just gave every story battle two names to be associated with, perpetually confusing the shit out of everyone!

White Clouds: Rumors of a Reaper: The Underground Chamber: 20 turns, MVP Annette.

White Clouds: Paralogue: Rumored Nuptials: 13 turns, MVP Professr.

White Clouds: Paralogue: The Forgotten: 8 turns, MVP Constance.

White Clouds: Field of the Eagle and Lion: Battle of the Eagle and Lion: 11 turns, MVP Sylvain.

White Clouds: The Flame in the Darkness: The Remire Calamity: 8 turns, MVP Shamir.

White Clouds: Paralogue: Tales of the Red Canyon: 11 turns, MVP Felix.

White Clouds: The Cause of Sorrow: Salvation at the Chapel: 6 turns, MVP Felix.

White Clouds: Paralogue: True Chivalry: 3 turns, MVP Shamir.

White Clouds: Paralogue: Sword and Shield of Seiros: 9 turns, MVP Felix.

White Clouds: Paralogue: An Ocean View: 10 turns, MVP Ingrid.

White Clouds: Paralogue: A Cursed Relic: 12 turns, MVP Shamir.

White Clouds: Where the Goddess Dwells: The Sealed Forest Snare: 8 turns, MVP Dimitri.

White Clouds: Paralogue: Black Market Scheme: 10 turns, MVP Felix.

White Clouds: Paralogue: Falling Short of Heaven: 6 turns, MVP Dimitri.

White Clouds: Throne of Knowledge: Conflict in the Holy Tomb: 10 turns, MVP Dimitri.

White Clouds: To War: The Battle of Garreg Mach: 7 turns, MVP Professr.

Azure Moon: Reunion at Dawn: Hunting by Daybreak: 13 turns, MVP Dimitri.

Azure Moon: The Delusional Prince: Protecting Garreg Mach: 5 turns, MVP Dimitri.

Azure Moon: Valley of Torment: Ambush at Ailell: 5 turns, MVP Dimitri.

Azure Moon: Paralogue: Eternal Guardian: 9 turns, MVP Felix.

Azure Moon: The Rose-Colored River: The Great Bridge Coup: 9 turns, MVP Dimitri.

Azure Moon: Paralogue: Weathervanes of Fodlan: 4 turns, MVP Leonie.

Azure Moon: Blood of the Eagle and Lion: To War at Gronder: 6 turns, MVP Dimitri.

Azure Moon: The King's Triumphant Return: Reclaiming the Capital: 8 turns, MVP Dimitri.

Azure Moon: Paralogue: The Silver Maiden: 2 turns, MVP Dimitri.

Azure Moon: The Golden Deer's Plea: Saving Derdriu: 4 turns, MVP Leonie.

Azure Moon: The Impregnable Fortress: Taking Fort Merceus: 7 turns, MVP Leonie.

Azure Moon: Our Chosen Paths: Assault on Enbarr: 11 turns, MVP Dimitri.

Azure Moon: Oath of the Dagger: Clash at the Imperial Capital: 9 turns, MVP Dimitri.

...Whew! Alright. Time for the character statistics.

...So Hapi's ending confirms that we never find out about the location of Those who Slither in the Dark, and never deal with them ourselves. They just come out of the woodwork eventually, and then Hapi routs them all with an army of monsters, like they're some kind of joke.

Christ do I hate everything about how those guys were handled.

The fuck is “Kupala”? I don't recall ever hearing Balthus talk about that place, but apparently there are rumors he “returned” there. Granted, I would never even begin to claim I have a good memory for the shit that goes down in supports, but it's still kinda hilarious that this makes mention of optional information like I'm supposed to automatically know the context just by having recruited him.

...It's kind of jarring that Cyril just joins the Officer's Academy as a student after all the shit he's already been through. If he'd been a mainstay of my army, what would he even have left to learn?

...So Catherine goes with Rhea when she... leaves the church.

...Isn't it kind of ridiculous that we don't see Rhea even once in Part 2, even after rescuing her? She just resigns and then fucks off, all entirely offscreen?

Alois surpasses Jeralt in accomplishments as captain of the Knights of Seiros? How long had Jeralt served again?

So Manuela never finds love, but she does find happiness. Good for her.

...So, it sounds like Hanneman figured out how to make things as powerful as the relics that don't require Crests. Cool.

...Gilbert returns to Faerghus, but no mention is made of him returning to his family. Seriously though, fuck him.

Alright, now we're getting to people I actually used.

Seteth: 24B 18W. Easily the least useful of the units I at least semi-regularly deployed, but swift strikes still managed to allow him to put in some serious work by the end of the game. Christ though, I wonder what the kill counts for the units I actually used are gonna look like, given all the skirmishes I did.

Flayn: 75B 54W. Combatwise she was easily the worst of my dark fliers, but she was still super useful, especially with her rescue spell and the backup fortify.

...The game says Flayn disappeared soon after the war while Seteth stayed around for a bit longer. Makes sense, in a way, given that children not aging is noticed way more quickly than adults not aging... but am I supposed to believe Flayn went missing from the Monastery and either nobody noticed how jarringly unconcerned Seteth was about it, or that Seteth managed to fake his trademark paranoid concern for her and being emotionally destroyed when she was never found?

Constance: 134B 97W. Her inability to double much of the time was a problem, but I still managed to find a lot of use for her. Especially after I buffed her magic.

Mercedes: 64B 37W. Definitely no fighter, but a fantastic healer. Physic and fortify were incredibly useful together.

Annette: 153B 110W. While I think by the end of the game Ingrid wound up being my best dark flier once I fixed her accuracy issues and gave her a good battalion, Annette was easily the most solid of the four overall.

...Her and Mercedes's ending together... uh... apparently they spent several decades being pen-pals due to how far apart they worked... and then when they retired, they got a house together. I'm assuming it's platonic, because if this is supposed to be a romantic support, uh... it seems profoundly unsatisfying.

Ingrid: 236B 153W. Yep, I think this pretty well confirms that skirmish kills are included. There's no way she got this many more kills in-game, given that pretty much every unit wound up killing someone every turn when I was player-phasing. Yeah, by the end her superior range and speed wound up making her my best dark flier by far, but it was a bit rough for a while before she pulled ahead of her place roughly neck and neck with Flayn and Constance. Her accuracy was a constant concern.

Also, apparently the way the chips fell, she wound up single. Didn't end up with Dimitri, Felix or Sylvain.

Leonie: 229B 182W. Oh yeah. She wasn't as all-around amazing as Dimitri was, but she had way more player-phase utility than him, and she came in clutch on so many occasions.

Shamir: 117B 89W. ...Disappointing. I remembered her being amazing in Silver Snow, though maybe that's because I had a dancer who could really let her make use of her personal skill and thus also got her a lot more kill exp. She consistently lagged behind the rest of my army and struggled to secure kills even with hunter's volley on this run. Major let-down.

They seemed to wind up together, though not romantically. They just joined up as mercenaries. Uh...

...Their ending goes beyond cringe. First off, Leonie apparently just calls herself “The Blade Breaker II”, which is just dumb. Second, they make a huge deal out of their respective abilities to draw spiders in this ending, which feels like something Awakening would do. ...If Awakening wrote fully unique endings for each pairing.

Felix: 255B 168W. A consistently reliable engine of death and destruction, though being on foot really started to hurt him by the endgame. He always found a way to be obscenely useful whenever I pulled out stride though, and once he started using gauntlets I don't think he ever failed to kill an enemy on player-phase.

Sylvain: 162B 83W. Turned out pretty good towards the end, but he was easily second fiddle for a while. He only seemed good in the beginning because the only one I could compare him to was Ashe, but once Shamir and Leonie came along, it became clear just how bad he was at being an archer. ...At least until I adjutanted him to hell and back and gave him Failnaught. Then indeed... he failed naught. Still wasn't as good as Leonie though.

This is yet another platonic A rank. The fact that they apparently died on the same day is... a curious touch. The profound irony of Sylvain's title though: “Sincerest of Knights”. Yeah. Right.

Dimitri: 428B 306W. I mean, look at that record, speaks for itself. He won more battles than anyone else on this list even fought in. The second I stumbled upon how easy it was to turn him into a dodgetank, the rest was fucking history. Getting him into wyvern rider/lord was the best decision I made in this entire run, and I do not regret it for a single second.

Dedue: 167B 48W. I mean... I kinda just stopped using him. He was useful in the beginning for tanking, but uh... he became vastly outdated in that regard soon enough.

...How the hell did Dimitri get the most support points with Dedue? They barely fought together! I couldn't even adjutant them together by accident! Did I just have them share meals a lot without realizing?

...That's... kinda depressing. They explicitly state that Dimitri, who died either of old age or illness, died significantly before Dedue did.

...I can't believe I somehow managed to make it so that there wasn't a single romantic paired ending anywhere except for Professr.

Speaking of...

Professr: 264B 154W. She kinda just stopped being relevant by the end of the game, what with all of my mounted units having superior range and also Dimitri being... well, Dimitri. Honestly, I'd probably have deployed almost anyone in my list of regular deploys before deploying her if that were an option.

Ashe: 55B 23W. The first unit to be dropped. Poor guy. Apparently that wasn't just bad luck on my part, I hear he's generally considered pretty terrible. Shame, he's... okay as a character.

I guess they had a pretty long engagement, because the game says he first served Professr as a knight and aide before becoming her husband. Or did a lot of time pass between the victory and that confession scene?

Ah yes. Now for the ending theme. I hear “Edge of Dawn” playing on the piano.

Ah yes! I know the words!

Ahem!

REACH FOR MY HAND!

I'LL SOAR AWAY,

FAR FROM THIS GAME I FORCED MYSELF TO PLAY!

NOW TO RANK IT UP!

DON'T EXPECT MUCH PRAISE!

I FEAR FOR SEVENTEEN!

NO WING!

TIME BEE TRAYS!

...Stay safe, everyone.

Edited by Alastor15243

12 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Shamir: 117B 89W. ...Disappointing. I remembered her being amazing in Silver Snow, though maybe that's because I had a dancer who could really let her make use of her personal skill and thus also got her a lot more kill exp. She consistently lagged behind the rest of my army and struggled to secure kills even with hunter's volley on this run. Major let-down.

Oof. I wonder if it was bad luck or something else. What were her stats at the end? Because the fact that you just said a sniper was a major letdown leaves me wondering what went wrong.

It's been over two years, yet it's just about finished. Feels kind of weird. This playthrough started just before COVID, gives a weird kind of old world feel to it even though two years isn't that long a time span. Still, it's been fun. This thread has been a nice general social scene for the site. How did your Fates castle points tally up in the end? You know the one you said you'd do something special for if it reached a certain goal. Sorry I couldn't help with that, stupid region splitting for basic social features >.>

3 minutes ago, Jotari said:

It's been over two years, yet it's just about finished. Feels kind of weird. This playthrough started just before COVID, gives a weird kind of old world feel to it even though two years isn't that long a time span. Still, it's been fun. This thread has been a nice general social scene for the site. How did your Fates castle points tally up in the end? You know the one you said you'd do something special for if it reached a certain goal. Sorry I couldn't help with that, stupid region splitting for basic social features >.>

1076/9999 Battle points, and 9944/9999 visitor points. Yeah, sadly I never had a chance of getting that organically through the playlog.

And yeah, it... it's definitely surreal having this almost be over. The project was definitely the only thing keeping me sane during year one of Covid, and it's definitely been a lot of fun.

...But burnout has definitely set in, I'm not gonna make any bones about that, and I think I'm going to greatly appreciate having the extra time in the day to pursue other hobbies. At least for a bit. I will, of course, be starting this up again at some point, bare minimum for the next game to come out. But possibly also for the Kaga Saga too, if a month or two from now I find myself itching to do this again.