Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

36 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Peri actively takes pleasure in snuffing out human life and sees absolutely nothing wrong with attempting to murder servants (hers or the avatar's) when they piss her off by doing a bad job, and her support with Xander is all about him telling her she has nothing to be ashamed of if other people think she's weird. Laslow flirts with married women and gets into a non-lethal bar brawl to impress the barmaid, and he spends an entire support chain under house arrest.

I forgot but doesn't Peri's ending state that her settling down concided with a "Drop in missing person reports" or something among those lines?

AKA Peri has actually canonically been killing random villagers and such the entire game.  

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Samz707 said:

I forgot but doesn't Peri's ending state that her settling down concided with a "Drop in missing person reports" or something among those lines?

AKA Peri has actually canonically been killing random villagers and such the entire game.  

Is that in a paired ending somewhere?

26 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

God this is like Awakening thinking Chrom needs to learn a contrived dumb moral all over again. 

Remember, men are evil but women can do no wrong, apparently.

Like if there was an FE spin-off, where the entire gimmick is that it's not at all serious and you're playing as exaggerated villains, maybe Peri could have worked there but it seems entirely wrong here. 

Remember, if someone wants to take a POW? they're evil but murdering maids on the regular is okay!

I can only imagine how Fates would treat Sylvain.

Given this series has Sonia and Genealogy's Hilda, whom are awful beyond mortal comprehension... I don't quite see it like that.

8 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Given this series has Sonia and Genealogy's Hilda, whom are awful beyond mortal comprehension... I don't quite see it like that.

Yeah but those characters are ment to be hated and aren't playable.

Peri annoys me because they think it's quirky and not abhorenet.

10 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Is that in a paired ending somewhere?

Found it, it's in her one paired ending that's not recycled:

Turns out Laslow is even more unlucky.

Peri and Laslow
Laslow vanished after the war, but he inspired generations of dancers and rallied the spirits of many. Records of his wife end around the same time, as does a curious string of missing-persons cases.
Edited by Samz707

7 minutes ago, Samz707 said:

Found it, it's in her one paired ending that's not recycled:

Peri and Laslow
Laslow vanished after the war, but he inspired generations of dancers and rallied the spirits of many. Records of his wife end around the same time, as does a curious string of missing-persons cases.

Yeah that is beyond absurd. That just makes it even worse.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Advance Wars maps with missile silos or flat-damage CO powers/map gimmicks tend to be my least favorite maps for this reason.

For missile silos, if I can't get to them first, I've usually held off on bigger purchases until the AI has exhausted the ones they can use.

I'm agreed on the CO Powers though. Kindle's Urban Blight is alright, so is Von Bolt if I'm not Grit-tier defensive. But Drake is hair-pulling, and Rachel is awful if you fight her 1 vs. 1. Although both of those COs have weak day-to-days, they need something to redeem themselves.

Map-wise, the it varies, Black Cannons/Lasers were usually bearable, the two volcano battles, less so because I couldn't memorize the lava spots. Final battle DoR is half good, half bad.

...There are more enemies left, but these fire walls are annoying and I'm not made of time today.

Usually I do have a bunch of enemies left on this map, because they aren't aggressive, and unlike some Rev maps, there isn't a windfall of droppable goodies. Skimming the north is too easy here.

Yeah, I actually have a weird affection for Setsuna, even though I've basically never used her.

I don't think she is that bad statwise compared to Takumi in the long term. But, her one major advantage, more Spd, is undercut by her bases. Even on BR, where she joins before Takucutie, she doesn't have the time to build up to the point where she starts doubling before he shows up.

Add in Takumi's better bases, including a higher weapon rank and the Fujin Yumi (slightly strong Steel/weaker Silver with no drawbacks, thats useful), and the second prince, who is rather... average at best outside of Skl (which isn't wholly worthless, Yumis are a little inaccurate, which Setsuna also is), ends up being superior sans grind. Then, Reina seals the no-grind fate of BR Setsuna.

Whilst I understand the concept of growth units, would it be wrong to ask for a character's primary stats to do their jobs right away? Why must I wait for them to bud?

56 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Whilst I understand the concept of growth units, would it be wrong to ask for a character's primary stats to do their jobs right away? Why must I wait for them to bud?

I get this. But then I struggle to use Niles, so maybe that wouldn't have helped with me.

I imagine giving her the right pair up partner would really help her get off the ground, but on player-phase units that's a bit of an investment.

2 hours ago, Samz707 said:

Yeah but those characters are ment to be hated and aren't playable.

Peri annoys me because they think it's quirky and not abhorenet.

Well, we do get playable male characters like FE7 Karel (the cool, mysterious swordsman who... killed his family and a bunch of strangers in cold blood), and Oliver (that wacky tubby noble who prattles about beauty and... keeps laguz as slaves). Like, the games recognize these characters as bad, but not so bad that there are ever any negative consequences to letting them join you.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Laslow flirts with married women and gets into a non-lethal bar brawl to impress the barmaid, and he spends an entire support chain under house arrest.

So Xander cares more about enforcing horny jail. Such a prude. /s

Gamplaywise... I mostly adore this.

Is it due to how their growths and bases are handled? The Offspring seal? The personals? The way Paralogues scale (Thanks 3H /s)?

Actually, one thing before I go: I just did more forging, and... honestly, I think the forging system in this game is a serious missed opportunity. It's really, really boring. Basically you just fuse two items together to give it a stat boost, repeating this process up to like 7 times. But in order to forge a +2, you have to forge two +1s and then fuse them together, etc etc. And you need the gemstone type that corresponds to the weapon type for each stage of the process.

This is so lame because apart from renaming, there's no customization! Really, I think it should've been more like this: gems don't determine the type of weapon you can boost, but instead the bonuses you can apply to it. Instead of needing different gems for swords, axes, lances, tomes, daggers and bows, you'd need different gems for might, hit, crit, evade, crit evade and “weight”, or something like that. That'd give you much more ability to customize your weapons and have fun with them.

That's pretty good actually. I feel like messing with effective Spd would be potentially gamebreaking if you were freely able to do so.

I always found it perturbing that you had to get all these copies to make stronger merges, it's like why would you make a +5 to begin with? But I suspect that the incremental nature of forging was intended.

So, been playing Birthright after pushing past the chapter 12 roadblock (self inflicted, I wanted to kill Xander okay?) and I forgot that Flora shows up in Chapter 16 actually, surprised at how they straight up have her attacked in it and disappointed that I got Silas killed so easily. (Also had a gander at the variations on the ending of chapter 15, I honestly prefer the version that doesn't involve someone dying from the perspective of how information's delivered between the two.)

11 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Is it due to how their growths and bases are handled? The Offspring seal? The personals? The way Paralogues scale (Thanks 3H /s)?

Pretty much all of that, yes. Being able to, at any time, do a mission tailored to your level where you get a replacement unit also tailored to your level, with a couple of good skills pre-inherited so they're not behind in the class-hopping, is a really great way to do late-game prepromotes in a game with this much of an emphasis on building units and learning skills through supports and class-hopping.

11 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I always found it perturbing that you had to get all these copies to make stronger merges, it's like why would you make a +5 to begin with? But I suspect that the incremental nature of forging was intended.

That reminds me of my other issue: due to item pricing, getting a +3 bronze, a +2 iron, a +1 steel or a single silver will cost basically the same. And they have comparable might but significantly better basically everything else. So it also undermines the "weapon balancing" system even further.

Edited by Alastor15243

8 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Yes, if you don't want to tear your hair out. In case you haven't noticed already, most Hoshidans have poor defense, and evade is not nearly as reliable as it was in prior games.

I could, but that comes with the opportunity cost of not using a better unit in Silas's stead (which is not trivial since pair up was nerfed). Especially since by the time Ryoma comes along, Silas would likely have been benched already.

...Also, I will admit to @Jotari that he is right that I haven't played some of the FE games (in particular the Jugdral saga, which I consider to be the absolute weakest in terms of gameplay - something I consider a major turnoff, especially when they have almost no redeeming features to make up for it; about the only good thing about them I can think of is their story, but even that suffers when experiencing the story means I have to put up with godawful gameplay). Thing is, though, I'd much rather play a game I can actually have fun playing than force myself to slog through Genealogy or Thracia, as it's pretty much a certainty I'd get bored and drop them, as I hate being bored, and I also hate games that cannot so much as make a dent in my boredom.

You have no onus to play Jugdral at all if youre not interested in them. But your critisisms hold absolutely no wait if you haven:t played them. If they don:t interest you then fine, but don:t actively try to turn people off of an experience that you actually have no knowledge of at all.

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...But holy shit if it isn't the outright laziest and dumbest integration of the concept into the story that I have ever fucking seen. It manages to simultaneously be incredibly contrived and stupid... and also a cast-wide character-assassination worthy of character-Jaffar.

I am going to repeat what the game tells me. Verbatim. Because otherwise, unless you've seen this, you are not going to believe that the game expects you to accept this as reasonable.

I'm snorting and chuckling to myself the entire time just typing this. This is the crown fucking jewel of Fates' terrible writing.

The bond between this pair grew stronger still... a union that soon proved fruitful. The castle that everyone called home was no safe place for infants. Where could newborns be hidden in such dangerous times? The answer was the Deeprealms – tiny realms strewn across the astral plane. This solution wasn't without its complications, however. Time in the Deeprealms passed far more quickly. In the blink of an eye, babies grew into children. Soon after, to adulthood! Parents would deal with this dizzying pace of maturity in their own ways. But they could rest assured that children would be safe... for a time.”

...Yes.

...Yes, you heard that right.

The cast all unilaterally decide that the best thing to do with their children is not to keep them safely in a well-guarded part of their fucking magic castle in the middle of a private pocket dimension...

...But to throw them into a bunch of alternate dimensions they literally just heard about, realms that clearly still have danger around every corner, and force the children to grow up where they're lucky to see their parents for even a single percent of their lives because of the wonky time stream.

You wanna know the worst, the dumbest part though?

Not only does every single character in the cast get turned into such a shitty parent that they force their children to grow up while barely ever getting to see their parents...

...but if they have a sibling... they put that sibling in a completely different and separate isolated hyperbolic time dimension.

YEAH!

NO SHIT!

When you have sibling characters, you don't just go to one sibling's paralogue and then Kana or Shigure is written into it so you can get them both at once...

...You do one paralogue for the first in one area... and you do a completely separate paralogue for the other in another area.

Child units also make me question the time frame of these games. Like Awakening has the obvious out of all the prgnancies happening in the future, while Genealogy does make it pretty clear that the first hal of the game takes about five years, but Fates? Where is the nine months it takes to gestate a child and how can it be fit into the time frame of these games along wit hthe marriage and romances? Am I meant to believe these stories take place over the course of years? Nothing really suggests it, at all. So then the only other option is that babies don:t gestate in Fateslandia. They just pop into existence. Which the explanation of child units (and the existences of those selfcest online thingies) doesn:t really discount.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I don't think she is that bad statwise compared to Takumi in the long term. But, her one major advantage, more Spd, is undercut by her bases. Even on BR, where she joins before Takucutie, she doesn't have the time to build up to the point where she starts doubling before he shows up.

Add in Takumi's better bases, including a higher weapon rank and the Fujin Yumi (slightly strong Steel/weaker Silver with no drawbacks, thats useful), and the second prince, who is rather... average at best outside of Skl (which isn't wholly worthless, Yumis are a little inaccurate, which Setsuna also is), ends up being superior sans grind. Then, Reina seals the no-grind fate of BR Setsuna.

And generally poor growths. Her speed is literally the only growth she has that's above 50, whereas most of her other growths (by which I mean everything but resistance) are 30 or less. That said, Subaki has it worse in BR, as the fact that Hinoka literally joins right after his joining chapter means he's rendered obsolete VERY quickly..

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I can agree with this. Especially when you have characters like Setsuna, whose growth rates pretty much mean lots of luck is needed for them to bud.

14 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Pretty much all of that, yes. Being able to, at any time, do a mission tailored to your level where you get a replacement unit also tailored to your level, with a couple of good skills pre-inherited so they're not behind in the class-hopping, is a really great way to do late-game prepromotes in a game with this much of an emphasis on building units and learning skills through supports and class-hopping.

Personally, I find Offspring Seals to be a mistake, as by that point, the paralogues become that much tougher. Not to mention some paralogues are flat-out poorly designed for lategame play (I'm looking at YOU, Selkie, Shiro, Forrest, and Ignatius!!). If you're gonna make them that much tougher, at least make the results worth it...

Edited by Shadow Mir

Just now, Alastor15243 said:

That reminds me of my other issue: due to item pricing, getting a +3 bronze, a +2 iron, a +1 steel or a single silver will cost basically the same. And they have comparable might but significantly better basically everything else. So it also undermines the "weapon balancing" system even further.

I should have remembered that too.

For some numbers to illustrate my point, to get +3, it's 8 items. 32 for +5 and 128 for +7. Thanks to how the smithy works (you can get +2 at base), you don't need to level it beyond level 1 ever unless you're grinding up enough copies of items or buying a ton of Bronze/Iron for a stupid powerful forge.

And the balancing's nuts.

Spoiler

You get +2 might from each forge up to +4 getting 8, then the next three level get +1 each, so you can get 11 might, 8 of which is in the first 4 levels. This is pretty stupid imo and usually unnecessary to go that far.

Weapons that can and can't crit also differ: Weapons without crit get +30 hit total. You'll get 5 from a +3. For weapons with crit it's +20 hit and +15 crit. +3 gets you 4 hit and 1 Crit. Alongside 6 might.

Balancing on this is broken.

At least I get to make a Konodiodachi for shits and giggles.

6 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Personally, I find Offspring Seals to be a mistake, as by that point, the paralogues become that much tougher. Not to mention some paralogues are flat-out poorly designed for lategame play (I'm looking at YOU, Selkie, Shiro, Forrest, and Ignatius!!).

Yeah that part is a rather notorious issue with the implementation, totally agree. Those shouldn't have been done that way. But as long as the child unit is under your control before they can reasonably be expected to be in danger, it's a pretty fantastic system.

6 minutes ago, Jotari said:

So then the only other option is that babies don:t gestate in Fateslandia. They just pop into existence. Which the explanation of child units (and the existences of those selfcest online thingies) doesn:t really discount.

Yeah, I remember my explanation in Dakota's War Journal used that too. That exposure to spacetime radiation caused women to get pregnant and give birth within 24 hours, and the babies had to be sent to the deeprealms to stop their rapid aging, not facilitate it.

3 minutes ago, Dayni said:

At least I get to make a Konodiodachi for shits and giggles.

Making funny forge names is half the reason to do it.

Edited by Alastor15243

9 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Yes, if you don't want to tear your hair out. In case you haven't noticed already, most Hoshidans have poor defense, and evade is not nearly as reliable as it was in prior games.

I mean, I only played Birthright once, and Ryoma carried me through to the end, so there's still some merit in dodgetanking. I will risk an avatar with Defense bane, wish me luck.

4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I am annoyed by Laslow. The writers seem to hate him. They seem to single him out for loathing from the rest of the army and the universe despite a ready supply of characters who have done much worse.

I feel bad for Inigo, because he has some of the best and worst supports attached to him.

27 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Child units also make me question the time frame of these games. Like Awakening has the obvious out of all the prgnancies happening in the future, while Genealogy does make it pretty clear that the first hal of the game takes about five years, but Fates? Where is the nine months it takes to gestate a child and how can it be fit into the time frame of these games along wit hthe marriage and romances? Am I meant to believe these stories take place over the course of years? Nothing really suggests it, at all. So then the only other option is that babies don:t gestate in Fateslandia. They just pop into existence. Which the explanation of child units (and the existences of those selfcest online thingies) doesn:t really discount.

The woman could have gone to the deeprealms soon after discovering the pregnancy and left shortly after the baby was born and / or weaned. All of this may have happened while about 5 minutes have passed in the main dimension.

59 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yeah that part is a rather notorious issue with the implementation, totally agree. Those shouldn't have been done that way. But as long as the child unit is under your control before they can reasonably be expected to be in danger, it's a pretty fantastic system.

Just realized I forgot about Sophie. In any case, I would disagree even in cases where the child is under my control immediately, because the payoff is honestly meager for the trouble. Ergo, hard work hardly works, seeing as a child character brought up to level via Offspring Seal is likely not going to have the stats or weapon ranks they would have had if I had worked on them earlier, which makes enduring the suffering that doing the paralogues after chapter 18 poses rather unrewarding. Also (I could be wrong on this, though), the Offspring Seal is rendered unusable if a Heart Seal is used before it, meaning that if I wanted to do something off-the-wall with a child unit, they're useless anyway.

Edited by Shadow Mir

3 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Just realized I forgot about Sophie. In any case, I would disagree even in cases where the child is under my control immediately, because the payoff is honestly meager for the trouble. Ergo, hard work hardly works, seeing as a child character brought up to level via Offspring Seal is likely not going to have the stats  or weapon ranks they would have had if I had worked on them earlier., which makes enduring the suffering that doing the paralogues after chapter 18 poses rather unrewarding. Also (I could be wrong on this, though), the Offspring Seal is rendered unusable if a Heart Seal is used before it, meaning that if I wanted to do something off-the-wall with a child unit, they're useless anyway.

Just use the Offspring Seal before the Heart Seal (or Partner Seal, or Buddy Seal). You can put them into any promoted class they could normally get after promotion. They'll still learn the skills from the unpromoted class as they level up.

And at the very least, Offspring Seals were a much better implementation (gameplay-wise) than whatever Awakening was doing.

14 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

I mean, I only played Birthright once, and Ryoma carried me through to the end, so there's still some merit in dodgetanking. I will risk an avatar with Defense bane, wish me luck.

I feel bad for Inigo, because he has some of the best and worst supports attached to him.

The woman could have gone to the deeprealms soon after discovering the pregnancy and left shortly after the baby was born and / or weaned. All of this may have happened while about 5 minutes have passed in the main dimension.

Technically true, but the game never mentions that as how it was done. And I don't think any parental supports mention the mother's pregnancy (I could be wrong, though). If I didn't know any better (and I don't), I'd imagine they wanted to do the same "kids come back from the future", but couldn't figure out any way to work it into the story.

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Well, we do get playable male characters like FE7 Karel (the cool, mysterious swordsman who... killed his family and a bunch of strangers in cold blood), and Oliver (that wacky tubby noble who prattles about beauty and... keeps laguz as slaves). Like, the games recognize these characters as bad, but not so bad that there are ever any negative consequences to letting them join you.

Oliver works because he is more comedic than malicious, but honestly I reckon Karel could have worked better as a villain. He:s clearly there because we were introduced to a reformed Karel in Binding Blade so it seeed natural to include his pre reform version in the prequel, but hes not implemented all that well. I cant even remember why he joins Eliwood and co, but I do remember finding his whole appearance quite random.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Personally, I find Offspring Seals to be a mistake, as by that point, the paralogues become that much tougher. Not to mention some paralogues are flat-out poorly designed for lategame play (I'm looking at YOU, Selkie, Shiro, Forrest, and Ignatius!!). If you're gonna make them that much tougher, at least make the results worth it...

This I agree with completely, the chilld paralogues were clearly only tested on mid game difficulties. It takes some serious rescue chaning to save some of them as they are liable to be killed on enemy turn 1.

Making funny forge names is half the reason to do it.

This game outright encourages silly names with Odin:s personal skill requiring a long named forged tome.

Edited by Jotari

11 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Also (I could be wrong on this, though), the Offspring Seal is rendered unusable if a Heart Seal is used before it, meaning that if I wanted to do something off-the-wall with a child unit, they're useless anyway

Uh... how? Unless you're at the point where they literally can't gain any more levels, what's stopping you from using the offspring seal and then a heart seal?

13 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Uh... how? Unless you're at the point where they literally can't gain any more levels, what's stopping you from using the offspring seal and then a heart seal?

Given classes do affect growths you might want them to have levels in a different class to gain more magic levels or something, but in reality the acutal impact of that on stats is very negiblible unless youre already at end game when youre recruting the unit (by which point leveling them up the traidtional way was never going to be an option). Really my offspring seals is that they:re too good. There:s no choice involved because they:re going to make the character as good as or better than levellling them traditionally (especially I think in weapon ranks as it levels all weapon ranks which is harder to do with multiple weapons in practice). The way they:re implemented they might as well just had the child units be recruited at the level they:d be offspringed sealed to regardless. Giving the child units default promoted classes in addition to tier 1 classes wouldn:t have been the worst idea ever, and would actually make more sense in Dwyer:s case as hes obviously meant to be a butler and not a troubadour (also another thing to blame the weird promotion of butlers and maids).

Edited by Jotari

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

The way they:re implemented they might as well just had the child units be recruited at the level they:d be offspringed sealed to regardless.

That's exactly what they're for. The only reason there's a seal is so you can control what branching promotion option they pick. Would've been nice if they added in heart seal classes too though.

5 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Just use the Offspring Seal before the Heart Seal (or Partner Seal, or Buddy Seal). You can put them into any promoted class they could normally get after promotion. They'll still learn the skills from the unpromoted class as they level up.

And at the very least, Offspring Seals were a much better implementation (gameplay-wise) than whatever Awakening was doing.

4 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I've seen a lot of complaints about weapon ranks being slow to rise (I don't buy into them myself, but still), and by the point Offspring Seals are relevant, dealing with E ranks is a very unappealing proposition.

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

I've seen a lot of complaints about weapon ranks being slow to rise (I don't buy into them myself, but still), and by the point Offspring Seals are relevant, dealing with E ranks is a very unappealing proposition.

You'll have to deal with E ranks at some point regardless, if you're doing a weird off-build that uses a totally new weapon type. At least by lategame, you can slap a +3 or higher Bronze/Brass Weapon on them, and still have very solid combat.

10 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

That's exactly what they're for. The only reason there's a seal is so you can control what branching promotion option they pick. Would've been nice if they added in heart seal classes too though.

Yeah I would have been fine with not being able to control which brancing promotion to pick if it let the chapters the units are recruited in less of a hassle to beat with the obviously didn:t account for this design. And like I said, for some characters a default promoted class would make more sense (and in fact they do have default promoted classes in Heirs of Fates if I recall correctly, even though Shiro is swordmaster so he can use Ranjito which was a terrible decision as they could have given him Master of Arms one of his actual promotion options which can uses swords alread). If I really want to reclass them heart seals are an option (which they could also come with if cost is also such an issue).

Edited by Jotari