Jump to content
Alastor15243

Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! MISSION COMPLETE! ...For now.

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, lenticular said:

I used guard stance a lot, but not consistently with the same people. Instead, I'd swap in and out depending on what was tactically useful or expedient at any given time. Sometimes that would be whoever gives the pair-up bonus of whatever stat I need at the time (usually speed, defence or move). Sometimes it was when someone needed to be protected from danger, like using a flier as the back line when there were multiple archers about. Sometimes it was someone who wasn't going to be useful fighting independently, like a magic user against a bunch of high-res enemies. And so on. So the end result was that I wound up picking up a fair few C and B supports, but not getting any single pairing up to S.

Hold up. This was blind, right? Then I assume you were caught off guard by Kaze dying? Which, incidentally, is the one thing that I consider most aggravating about Birthright, as it's not hinted at at all, at least not in an obvious way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Revelation Day 12: Paralogue 11

Alright, I'm just waiting on the clock striking nine so I can get started with my visits for the day. We're gonna do the paralogue for Hinata's son Hisame, something I've never done before. Yeah, in this game, kids are tied to the father, not the mother. Probably because the legendary weapon users are all male and they wanted to make sure that subject matter was a big deal in parent-child supports. And I guess the idea of having only women using the legendary weapons didn't sit well with the devs, and they didn't want to make five characters who can result in two children, and... yeah, sorry, I don't have time to talk about this, it's visiting time.

I do think it's a major shame Camilla and Hinoka are arbitrarily left out of the legendary weapons gang, but I don't think this is the specific reason why they went with father's determining children over mothers. For one the children are so shoe horned into the game, I don't think anything about them as individuals would be considered important enough to influence the main plot. And second the royal sons having some lip service to their future legendary weapon use doesn't at all exclude them pulling a Genealogy and having characters like Sety and Arthur who can use a holy weapon without any specific story connection (while simultaneously having characters wherein it does matter). Honestly I think they just changed it from mother's to fathers just...cause. Like as a change of pace. They already did mother's twice why not do father's?

Side note, I would have really liked it if the child units could use their parents holy weapons in gameplay. It would give a bit more meaning to the "boost stat so long as this item is in your inventory" aspect of the weapon, because right now you never have any reason to take the weapons out of your inventory so that boos might as well be a boost to the units base stats. If the weapon had some potential to be traded around however than that wot be different.

Also another side note, it made some sense (not a lot, but a little) in Awakening that late game recruits like Say'ri and Basillio could only reproduce with Robin given the whole time travel angle. But there is absolutely no reason for the characters to be Corrin sexual in Fates. Well the female ones at least (I get that they didn't want to make up a son for Fuga, Izana or Shura...I'm lazy too). I am definitely not the only person who wasted turns pairing Ryoma and Scarlet together before realising they can't support because Scarlet is arbitrarily barren to any loins that don't belong to Corrin. And what really sucks about her and Reina and (I think) Flora being Avatarsexual is that there are an unequal amount of breeding partners in the game. Meaning if you're playing male Corrin or pair female Corrin with the "wrong" unit then you can't get all the children in a single playthrough. That is so maddeningly annoying when the solution of just letting Ryoma and Scarlet be able to hop into bed together is so god damn obvious.

1 hour ago, Axie said:

my experience with child units in fates is that i always get them late and they always become my best units by default and that one time i did shigure's paralogue really early and he remained unpromoted trash post-seal so i just resetted. they are endgame units only imo lol.

also new weapon ranks starting at E is a dumb farce. weapon ranks peaked at magvel and tellius tbh. (fódlan notwithstanding since everyone uses everything there?)

I remember the growth of magic weapon ranks really sucking in Path of Radiance. And the fact that only half the categories even had an S rank weapons worth reaching certainly didnt help. On the other hand I found weapon ranks rising too fast in Radiant Dawn to the point that they basically weren't a thing at all. I think Shadow Dragon had weapon ranks down though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

I never found resetting weapon ranks a big deal considering how strong iron and bronze forges are and how cheap they are to make.

Assuming you make those. Although this might be beating Walhart's horse (if he dead, was it dead too?), the gem system turned me off from forging pretty much altogether, even on files where I WiFi'ed and coincidentally got the rocks. I don't remember if I ever used it, and if I did, not even five times.

That, and Rare Item & Money Hoarding meant that barring healing staffs or some specialty weapons, I never spent the cash for the weapon duplicates for forging.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Assuming you make those. Although this might be beating Walhart's horse (if he dead, was it dead too?), the gem system turned me off from forging pretty much altogether, even on files where I WiFi'ed and coincidentally got the rocks. I don't remember if I ever used it, and if I did, not even five times.

That, and Rare Item & Money Hoarding meant that barring healing staffs or some specialty weapons, I never spent the cash for the weapon duplicates for forging.

In my experience, ore swap and the arena are more than enough to make a couple of good forges by the time weapon rank resetting becomes an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Hold up. This was blind, right? Then I assume you were caught off guard by Kaze dying? Which, incidentally, is the one thing that I consider most aggravating about Birthright, as it's not hinted at at all, at least not in an obvious way.

Yep, was totally caught unawares by that one. It didn't bother me too much, honestly. Probably because I hadn't been using him all that much. I'm sure I'd have been much more annoyed if I had invested a bunch in him. It did suck a little that he was my only surviving ninja at that point (Kageru and Saizo having both been lost to carelessness), but it was easy enough to temporarily reclass Rinkah to pick up Locktouch. It's not a design decision I like or agree with, but it didn't hurt my experience nearly as much as the mess with the child units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Hiya Maof06! Good luck on your new file! Take a lottery hat! And remember, if you have accessory requests, just speak up!

A chef's hat, please. Arena shields are also good.

8 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Ah yes, and now Hisame and Hinata. ...Hinata apparently names his sword.

I'm suddenly very curious what his supports with Odin are like.

Hilarious and wholesome.

8 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

PFFFFHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh god, Mozu's support with Hisame is pretty damned funny. She finds his diary, doesn't read it, but upon seeing his horror at her holding it, she suddenly wants to. And then this happens when he says the stuff in there is private:

Mozu: Ohhhh, I see. I suppose boys your age have lots of thoughts best kept from their mothers. It's only natural for a healthy young man. But to fill a whole book with them...

If you thought this was funny, check out the version with Rinkah or Selena:

  • Selena: Welllll...I guess I'm a little curious about what's in this book. Think I could take a look? Just a peek!
  • Hisame: What?! No! There are some things that should remain private. Even from one's family.
  • Selena: Oh, I gotcha. It's THAT sort of stuff. Well, no need to be embarrassed! Puberty is a weird time for everyone, kiddo. Although, to fill an entire book...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lenticular said:

Yep, was totally caught unawares by that one. It didn't bother me too much, honestly. Probably because I hadn't been using him all that much. I'm sure I'd have been much more annoyed if I had invested a bunch in him. It did suck a little that he was my only surviving ninja at that point (Kageru and Saizo having both been lost to carelessness), but it was easy enough to temporarily reclass Rinkah to pick up Locktouch. It's not a design decision I like or agree with, but it didn't hurt my experience nearly as much as the mess with the child units.

Okay. I still think this is a serious dick move for the game to pull, though, especially since there's almost nothing hinting at the fact that this is gonna happen (or that it's possible to save him). Stuff that has the potential to compromise a player's run like this *really* should be avoided. Also, if it makes you feel any better, I had my own kid troubles in my first run - the only one I was able to pick up was Kana.

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

In my experience, ore swap and the arena are more than enough to make a couple of good forges by the time weapon rank resetting becomes an issue.

I can't help but think this assumes you "log in" every day and don't play fast - as in do multiple chapters in a day.

8 hours ago, Axie said:

my experience with child units in fates is that i always get them late and they always become my best units by default and that one time i did shigure's paralogue really early and he remained unpromoted trash post-seal so i just resetted. they are endgame units only imo lol.

also new weapon ranks starting at E is a dumb farce. weapon ranks peaked at magvel and tellius tbh. (fódlan notwithstanding since everyone uses everything there?)

Like I said, I feel I'm better getting them early, because it means wasting less experience on losers that don't have much in the way of future prospects and will only drag me down, which some of Gen 1 are. Also, I never found weapon rank to be a major issue outside of Binding Blade. RE: 3H, in general, anyone can use any weapon type, with one exception - gauntlets cannot be used by mages or mounted units. Also, only certain classes can use magic, and it's worth noting magic can only be used a limited number of times per chapter.

Edited by Shadow Mir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lenticular said:

Yep, was totally caught unawares by that one. It didn't bother me too much, honestly. Probably because I hadn't been using him all that much. I'm sure I'd have been much more annoyed if I had invested a bunch in him. It did suck a little that he was my only surviving ninja at that point (Kageru and Saizo having both been lost to carelessness), but it was easy enough to temporarily reclass Rinkah to pick up Locktouch. It's not a design decision I like or agree with, but it didn't hurt my experience nearly as much as the mess with the child units.

Mild spoilers for Birthright and Three Houses I guess.

Spoiler

That is the defense of it. If you some how don't manage to get a Byleth Maze A support by that point then the chances are his scripted death isn't a major loss. So there's some insurance there. And while it definitely wouldn't be a feature I would support, I could see it working if it was tied heavily into the plot. But the thing that annoys most is that it's just so goddamn randomly implemented. It's not part of a significant plot beat or serious threat. He basically just stands on a landmine and dies out of nowhere. I did have an A support with him on my initial Birthright playthrough, but the plot point is so haphazardly included that it's down right weird if he lives and you don't know what just happened as he suddenly gets focus out of nowhere that looks like it's going somewhere and it just doesn't. Dedue's scripted potential death in Three Houses is handled better despite being off screen and having little fanfare in return, at least in terms of plot. In terms of gameplay it's handled way worse as he misses a bunch of weeks of schooling and rather than being support based it's wether you did his paralogue or not. I can much more easily imagine a player investing in Dedue in terms of gameplay but ignoring his paralogue only for him to suddenly never come back compared to someone investing a lot in Kaze and just not getting a Byleth support.

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

In my experience, ore swap and the arena are more than enough to make a couple of good forges by the time weapon rank resetting becomes an issue.

Hard agree. As I said before I never visited other castles in my previous runs yet I always had dozens of forges by end game. All it takes is investigating in the arena early and betting on the ore that you most require (and a bit of arena save scumming if you're a crummy cheater like myself) along with regular pick ups from the field. Finding the money for the weapons to multiplie was always far more of a concern than the ore.

Edited by Jotari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jotari said:

I remember the growth of magic weapon ranks really sucking in Path of Radiance. And the fact that only half the categories even had an S rank weapons worth reaching certainly didnt help.

sure, but every aspect of magic sucked in tellius, so it's not like it actually hurts to have difficulty growing fire/wind ranks in PoR while you use the only tome that matters, forged thunder. for physical weapons it was pretty easy. imagine discussing the merits of sonic sword mist in the fateskening system lol.

10 hours ago, Jotari said:

I think Shadow Dragon had weapon ranks down though.

secondary weapons are still Es in it, though. you just don't suffer from reclassing that much because all the primary weapons are Ds for promoted classes. i don't think promoted people should be dealing with E anything, except staves. 

 

5 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Like I said, I feel I'm better getting them early, because it means wasting less experience on losers that don't have much in the way of future prospects and will only drag me down, which some of Gen 1 are.

i don't think birthright and conquest have this necessity at all but i must say this sounds kind of valid of revelation. the problem is actually getting some of these kids with how bad their parents are in it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Axie said:

sure, but every aspect of magic sucked in tellius, so it's not like it actually hurts to have difficulty growing fire/wind ranks in PoR while you use the only tome that matters, forged thunder. for physical weapons it was pretty easy. imagine discussing the merits of sonic sword mist in the fateskening system lol.

secondary weapons are still Es in it, though. you just don't suffer from reclassing that much because all the primary weapons are Ds for promoted classes. i don't think promoted people should be dealing with E anything, except staves. 

 

i don't think birthright and conquest have this necessity at all but i must say this sounds kind of valid of revelation. the problem is actually getting some of these kids with how bad their parents are in it

Sure, they start at E, but they make starting at E meaningful. I have made extensive use of promoted units in their sub weapon. Particularly Generals and Warriors with bows, up to including Pathria, which unlike other games is only A rank, which means each individual rank is more defined. You don't need to even get up to A rank with your subweapon when you can reach D for the likes of hand axes or B for silver weapons. In other words the weapon ranks have meaning and specializing in another weapon requires you putting in effort and getting out rewards, unlike Radiant Dawn where the weapon ranks grow so quickly they might as not exist, or like Binding Blade where they grow so slowly they might as well not exist (also Genealogy where they literally are fixed is an interesting departure I think would be worth discussing...were this about the best weapon rank implementation...which we might just have to make now).

Also buyable arms scrolls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Also buyable arms scrolls.

the whole two of them (four in revelation i guess)!

i think arms scrolls are kind of weirdly programmed anyway - they increase your rank, not your weapon experience, so it's really only worth it to use them when you are far from all of your next ranks or else you are kind of wasting it. they should have increased weapon experience by a set amount, even if at higher ranks it doesn't necessarily net you a higher rank just from using it.

36 minutes ago, Jotari said:

You don't need to even get up to A rank with your subweapon when you can reach D for the likes of hand axes or B for silver weapons. In other words the weapon ranks have meaning and specializing in another weapon requires you putting in effort and getting out rewards, unlike Radiant Dawn where the weapon ranks grow so quickly they might as not exist, or like Binding Blade where they grow so slowly they might as well not exist

this is a good point, but i don't mind promoted classes just starting at D for sub weapons because that's mid to late game and the differentiation that matters for them is already between D, C and B usually. in a game with reclassing, not having immediate access to throwing weapons (or irons, in games with bronzes) is more relevant to unpromoted classes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Revelation Day 13: Chapter 18

Dakota: Why hello, new trade partner with the glorious land of Lower Dakota! What say you this fine morning?

Twinks: Haha murder wife

Dakota: Fascinating! Well, enjoy your item shield!

Yep, everyone's getting an item shield today, except for Maof06 who wants a chef's hat. Can do, buddy! And tomorrow an arena shield. Have fun with Birthright!

Nephenee seems to have done some spring cleaning. Either that or she's been robbed. No resources from her today, apparently. No matter, here's your item shield!

Taffy: DON'T BEGONE

I feel like this is an inside joke I'm not getting.

It's kind of ridiculous how much extra DVP you need in Revelation to fully decorate and upgrade your castle. I've been visiting you guys every weekday and getting that extra DVP and I'm still pretty far behind. And there's some stuff I know I have no chance in hell of ever getting around to even making, much less upgrading.

Well, after castle maintenance, during which I lost in the arena for the first time (berserker dual strike partner critted, giving me no time to surrender), it's time to finally step into “there that must not be named”.

Yeah, so, this is the moment where Dakota tries to convince everyone to jump into the Bottomless Canyon. When that doesn't work, he... yeah, this I actually kinda like, that he's willing to tell the truth at the cost of his life in order to convince the others to go into the Bottomless Canyon and stop Anankos. But it has way too little weight and gravitas, and it just comes across as corny and dumb like everything else.

I actually had a similar idea for a secondary rewrite idea I had, except that Corrin hadn't gotten any of the royal family on their side, and actually did tell everyone the truth of what was going on, having no other option to stop their families from killing each other...

...only to discover that nothing happened.

Because the curse isn't real.

Because Azura made it up to manipulate him.

Then there's a cutscene where she absolutely flips out, goes completely deranged, and reveals herself to be the true puppetmaster, a vengeful descendant of the dragon that the dawn and dusk dragons teamed up to destroy eons ago.

But back to what's actually happening, we have a big dumb scene where everyone jumps into the bottomless canyon, but Scarlet and Dakota stay behind for a bit to facilitate a really dumb plot point, because Scarlet's about to die. She pins a flower to herself as a tradition of her people whenever faced with tremendous odds, and only Dakota sees this.

Dakota...

...and Scarlet's mysterious, invisible murderer.

And the asshole writers decide to get in one last impossible ship tease of Ryoma and Scarlet before she dies.

And then the invisible flying being announces himself as “THE FORGOTTEN DRAGON. THE BETRAYED KING. THE ENTOMBED GOD.”

Yep, this is Anankos.

And Scarlet hammer-throws Dakota out of the way of a fireball blast meant for him, destroying the flower.

Yeah, as you can probably guess by my emphasis on this... somebody's gonna let slip that they saw her pin the flower to her chest, outing themselves as Anankos in disguise.

Ah yes. Other routes are much worse about this, but I think this is the first time we see this game try to convince us that Azura can fight. In numerous cutscenes throughout all three games, she's shown fighting right alongside the rest of the main cast in ways that are frankly ridiculous considering that in the actual game she can be killed by a stiff breeze.

Yeah, so... what little of a plot the story had by this point basically grinds to a halt. The rest of the game is just a bunch of filler between now and getting us to fight Anankos.

Anyway, onto the gameplay. Valla's actually a pretty cool setting, a bunch of floating islands. The issue is the game has a lot of gimmicks, a new one every chapter, for how you get between them. And here it's a confusing set of portals that act like the staircases in the Sevenfold Sanctuary, except they're one-way. Thankfully, we have a couple fliers, so we have a few more options in this regard. But this map's gimmick, like so many in Rev, is pretty annoying. We have to trigger eight dragon veins in order to reach the central area, whose warp point is blocked by a big rock.

Not that I expect much trouble from this. We've got a strong army at this point.

I'm gonna try and get Elise and Sakura both to level 14 today and then early-promote them. Something about how this route's exp curve works means that they just didn't have enough time to catch up with the others. Normally I have them at level 20 by now. Their best shot is to promote early and take advantage of the fact that that means they get skills faster. Between them I should get rally speed, rally magic, rally defense and rally resistance if I'm clever about what classes I put them in and how I feed them exp.

Azura says “we need to split up to activate each dragon vein”, and... no the fuck we don't. That's the problem with this map. There's no punishment for sending your entire army one way and taking on each dragon vein one by one. No punishment at all. There's no time limit, nothing.

That said, the enemies are pretty strong. Nothing absolutely crazy like in New Mystery or early-game Awakening, but they hit hard, and they're almost impossible to one-round. Pity most of them have “wait until approached” AI.

One underrated feature of the wolfskin class that I find myself appreciating a lot in this playthrough is their tendency to be really good with rough terrain. Forests in particular they can go through as quickly as others can go through plains.

...Christ, this route just seems to compel me to spend huge amounts of time just playing the game and not commenting on it. None of my moves seem particularly interesting. I never get put into any high-pressure situations where my strategies make the difference between life and death. The enemies are tough, but... I fight them entirely on my terms, and that really kills the drama. Mostly I'm just trying to deliberately get my units injured to milk as much healing exp out of this as I can.

Speaking of which... I promoted Sakura to Onmyoji at level 14. Now to get her some chip kills. Elise will be soon to follow, but I only had the one master seal in the convoy. The second Elise promotes I'm reclassing her to wyvern lord, giving her two arms scrolls (for a bolt axe), and having her start gaining some chip kills as well.

The fact that nearly all of these enemies are too powerful to one-round actually weirdly makes it easier to train up Sakura. I don't need to rely exclusively on the units I'm trying to train up to soften up enemies like I would if anyone who can fight worth a damn would one-round.

...Christ, I'm nearly done, and I've written so fucking little. I'm sorry, it's just... I mean like I said, there are no tense moments, no close calls, no impenetrable challenges... nothing that makes me think long enough to think about keeping you posted here. It's... mediocre. That said, I've certainly played games that have done a worse job of making me think.

...Alright, finally we're at the final area.

The final area's pretty full of enemies, but we just have to kill the boss, so I'm just gonna rush in and player-phase my way to the boss in one turn.

Aaaaand we're done. And there's a quick scene about Scarlet's death, and... that's it. Honestly, the deaths in Revelation aren't nearly as funny as the ones in Birthright and Conquest, which is a shame because they certainly don't have any dramatic value.

Alright, we've got some supports, let's do those and then see if we can do another chapter.

Hahahaha! Mozu says that when she went hunting boar for the first time, she forgot her bow and had to finish it off with a knife. That's... bizarrely fitting considering how she is now. Though then again, Hoshido doesn't make combat knives...

Felicia and Xander's support is just... Xander being introduced to Felicia's clumsiness. That is all.

Azura and Sakura's A support is cute, but also completely out of left field from the scary story supports that had come before.

Ooh, and now Sakura and Elise finally get a support! I've come to decide that it's not really important that they A+, but it would be nice. I'm fine with Sakura having rally luck, magic and speed, and Elise getting rally defense and resistance (strength would be nice, but that would require marrying her to someone, and... shudder). But anyway, it's a support about them playing their instruments. This support chain actually inspired a really beautiful song on the official OST called “For Sakura and Elise” which is a violin and koto duet. I'd link it, but Serenes Forest hates when I link things in my posts. It constantly demands I prove I'm human and then makes it impossible to edit the post later if there's a mistake unless I remove the link. Sorry!

Yeah, anyway, the support is cute and wholesome, exactly what you'd expect from these two.

Finally, Xander and Selena. I do this support mostly for utility. I like giving Xander access to bow knight and a falcon knight support partner for extra speed and resistance and the ability to fly given a turn of prep. The support chain is just Selena trying to teach Xander to have a sense of humor, with catastrophic results. But yeah, this is just another super-short “let's do something later” setup support, which seems to be a recurring theme in this game and in New Mystery. At least here though, the conversations have a more clearly defined and less abrupt ending.

I just upgraded some stuff, most notably the hot spring to level 3, meaning that Fuga should be arriving shortly.

...Unfortunately, we'll have to see that tomorrow, because I've just looked at the time and I don't have as much time to spare as I thought. If I want to get this proofread and posted before I have stuff to do in the afternoon, I'll have to leave things off here.

Stay safe, everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Nephenee seems to have done some spring cleaning. Either that or she's been robbed. No resources from her today, apparently. No matter, here's your item shield!

Hi I'm the Nephenee. I recently got back into my Conquest Lunatic playthrough and I'm kinda stuck on Chapter 21, so I removed almost every building in hope that more people will be able to get a +4 boost for the next battle. It's a slow process but it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ozarhok said:

Hi I'm the Nephenee. I recently got back into my Conquest Lunatic playthrough and I'm kinda stuck on Chapter 21, so I removed almost every building in hope that more people will be able to get a +4 boost for the next battle. It's a slow process but it works.

I was wondering what was going on there! Interesting strategy... How long is it taking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there is much to say specifically about this chapter (or revelation in general now that you got to gimmicklandia lol), so... i like priestess better than onmyoji for sakura? that's what i've got.

why are great master and priestess different classes in more than name, though? it's the one gender hiccup of fates, and it's relevant because i like priestess (yumis are powerful and keep them out of the way), but great master not so much (naginatas aren't bad, but tomes would be a better option if azama wasn't just made to be a great master).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Axie said:

why are great master and priestess different classes in more than name, though? it's the one gender hiccup of fates, and it's relevant because i like priestess (yumis are powerful and keep them out of the way), but great master not so much (naginatas aren't bad, but tomes would be a better option if azama wasn't just made to be a great master).

Not sure, honestly. I rarely use either class so I haven't thought about it much...

And yeah, the maps here can get pretty nuts, I'm well aware of that. I'm in for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually like the Great Master-Priestess split, though both classes be bad compared to Onmyoji.

Japan is spiritually equally a blend of Shinto and Buddhism, the Shrine Maiden/Priestess is Shintoism, the Monk/Grand Master is Buddhism. Now, there is nothing naginata-y in Buddhism, nor yumi-y in Shinto, but I appreciate the distinction and gender lock as reminders that these are spiritually different things. Onmyoji doesn't represent Shinto, Onmyodo literally means "The Way of Yin and Yang", which therefore makes it T/Daoism, imported from China but with Japanese adaptations.

As for why not remove the gender-lock, limit Onmyoji to Diviner, and make Grand Master and Priestess both the promoted classes of Monk/Shrine Maiden? IS knows very well that natural staffers rarely have usable Str, so promoting to a class without tomes won't give them anything of a serious offense. Bolt Naginata exists, but it's limited and requires building up weapon rank with a junk stat. The magic bow is Nohrian and hence not available on BR.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they could have just designed diviner/onmyoji one of the ways, staff class/promoted staff class the other, and then have the latter just wield yumis. i would never like priestess better than onmyoji for sakura if they used naginatas too.

also diviners promote to basara, which already wield naginatas. that part of the branch got a bit repetitive for males lol.

Edited by Axie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

 

Well, after castle maintenance, during which I lost in the arena for the first time (berserker dual strike partner critted, giving me no time to surrender), it's time to finally step into “there that must not be named”.

Wait, there is a way to surrender in the arena after the battle starts? How? Is this something I have managed to overlook every time?

 

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

 

I actually had a similar idea for a secondary rewrite idea I had, except that Corrin hadn't gotten any of the royal family on their side, and actually did tell everyone the truth of what was going on, having no other option to stop their families from killing each other...

...only to discover that nothing happened.

Because the curse isn't real.

Because Azura made it up to manipulate him.

Then there's a cutscene where she absolutely flips out, goes completely deranged, and reveals herself to be the true puppetmaster, a vengeful descendant of the dragon that the dawn and dusk dragons teamed up to destroy eons ago.

Honestly I think the headcanon that Azura is manipulating Corrin by lying (about both the curse and the use of the illusion orb in Conquest) for her own vindictive means, legitimately makes the story better.

While I am still talking about the story, using the shifting sky as a the time to enter has some fairly serious ramifications that the story completely ignore (because nobody cared). Its first described as a time when the way between Valla, and the rest of Fateslandia either opens, or closes FOR DECADES...so now the royal families of both Hishido, and Nohr have entered Valla just before the passageway locks behind them, trapping them...FOR DECADES...

 

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

 

Yeah, as you can probably guess by my emphasis on this... somebody's gonna let slip that they saw her pin the flower to her chest, outing themselves as Anankos in disguise.

Which is ruined by Corrin, as the ending story conversation of this chapter has him/her say

Quote

 

  • Corrin: The flower she'd pinned on... It's been burned away.
  • Xander: What are you talking about?
  • Corrin: We were the last ones to jump, so no one saw... Ryoma... Scarlet died protecting me and—

and then acting like its impossible for someone to overhear him announce this, so latter in the story this point acts as "proof" that they are the real murderer...

 

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

 

...Christ, I'm nearly done, and I've written so fucking little. I'm sorry, it's just... I mean like I said, there are no tense moments, no close calls, no impenetrable challenges... nothing that makes me think long enough to think about keeping you posted here. It's... mediocre. That said, I've certainly played games that have done a worse job of making me think.

To give the map a little credit, I found it had some tense moments when I splitup to do the map on my Lunatic PMU (although I could only really split it into three safe...), but you are right there is no gameplay incentive to do so...

 

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

 

Japan is spiritually equally a blend of Shinto and Buddhism, the Shrine Maiden/Priestess is Shintoism, the Monk/Grand Master is Buddhism. Now, there is nothing naginata-y in Buddhism, nor yumi-y in Shinto, but I appreciate the distinction and gender lock as reminders that these are spiritually different things. Onmyoji doesn't represent Shinto, Onmyodo literally means "The Way of Yin and Yang", which therefore makes it T/Daoism, imported from China but with Japanese adaptations.

Well, there is a little bit for linking Yumi to Shintoisnm, as there is the legends about the Hama-Yumi, which inspires many Shinto shrines to sell Hama-Ya (decorative arrows meant to ward off evil spirits), even into the modern day. Additionally there are times when Miko would carry Hama-Yumi with Hama-Ya ceremonially.

Now they might be trying to reference the Souhei, or warrior Buddhist monks, with Grand Masters, as the Naginata is one of the most icon weapons associated with them, but truth be told, it was fairly common for them to use Yumi, and the Hama-Yumi was a more general Japanese myth, which both Buddhists and Shinto relied on (just Shintoism took it further...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Wait, there is a way to surrender in the arena after the battle starts? How? Is this something I have managed to overlook every time?

Yep! You press X, and it works just like pressing B in the older games' arenas!

5 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Which is ruined by Corrin, as the ending story conversation of this chapter has him/her say

Quote

 

  • Corrin: The flower she'd pinned on... It's been burned away.
  • Xander: What are you talking about?
  • Corrin: We were the last ones to jump, so no one saw... Ryoma... Scarlet died protecting me and—

and then acting like its impossible for someone to overhear him announce this, so latter in the story this point acts as "proof" that they are the real murderer...

Ah yes, I debated commenting on that. Thanks for bringing it up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Which is ruined by Corrin, as the ending story conversation of this chapter has him/her say

Quote

 

  • Corrin: The flower she'd pinned on... It's been burned away.
  • Xander: What are you talking about?
  • Corrin: We were the last ones to jump, so no one saw... Ryoma... Scarlet died protecting me and—

and then acting like its impossible for someone to overhear him announce this, so latter in the story this point acts as "proof" that they are the real murderer...

 

For what it's worth, this is an actual investigation tactic - police and investigators tend to intentionally withhold info about the crime scene from the public and the media. Also, something similar happened in Yu-Gi-Oh! - Joey lost his entry card (in fact, it was stolen), and right when he despairs, Mai, who was defeated earlier in the tournament, gives him hers. After Joey hands his opponent's ass to him, said opponent - Bandit Keith - attempts to get him disqualified for not using his entry card. Unfortunately for him, in doing so, Keith pretty much gave himself away - and not only that, Pegasus knew all along Keith stole it - and this was on top of cheating during the duel itself. Ultimately, Pegasus decides he's seen enough and has him taken away.

3 hours ago, Axie said:

i like priestess better than onmyoji for sakura? that's what i've got.

So do I. I credit Inuyasha for this, as one main character is a priestess (or rather, Miko) who uses a bow.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

both classes be bad compared to Onmyoji

I disagree, at least on Priestess, as magic pretty much fell off a cliff in terms of usefulness in this game; compared to Awakening, where magic was more "va-va-VOOM!", magic in this game is more like...

Also, Renewal is ten billion percent more useful than Rally Magic when you're talking about a game where mages and magic in general are at a low point (like this one!).

Edited by Shadow Mir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Well, there is a little bit for linking Yumi to Shintoisnm, as there is the legends about the Hama-Yumi, which inspires many Shinto shrines to sell Hama-Ya (decorative arrows meant to ward off evil spirits), even into the modern day. Additionally there are times when Miko would carry Hama-Yumi with Hama-Ya ceremonially.

I thought I remember reading something about using archery in Japan as a form of meditation, akin to the way of the sword just with a different weapon. But I wasn't aware of this. Well, I do remember at least one SMT had exorcism arrows as a Hama-casting consumable item (and Zelda Light Arrows now that I think about it), but I never realized it went further, thank you.

 

3 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Now they might be trying to reference the Souhei, or warrior Buddhist monks, with Grand Masters, as the Naginata is one of the most icon weapons associated with them, but truth be told, it was fairly common for them to use Yumi

I knew of warrior monks, and I believe I've seen depictions of them with polearms a few times. Although I didn't make the connection with Great Masters, because my image of the naginata was being blurred by the fact samurai women were not infrequently trained in the weapon.

 

3 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

and the Hama-Yumi was a more general Japanese myth, which both Buddhists and Shinto relied on (just Shintoism took it further...)

I think I had read that during the Meiji period, a survey of all religious sites was done across Japan, to discover there were virtually no Shinto sites without the presence of Buddhism. The divide into Shinto-shrines and Buddhist-temples dates no earlier than Meiji, late-1800s.

The reason for the divide coming at that time being that Shinto... fundamentalists? (not sure what to call them) had arisen and wanted to sever all ties to Buddhism. Ushering in an era of "State Shinto" that was only dismantled following WWII. There were a few voices in the Edo period denouncing Buddhism, but they were rare, I forget exactly why Shinto radicals gained in influence as Japan modernized. Maybe Buddhism coming from China & originating in India (both weaklings against modern imperialism at the time -not something Japan wanted to be) made it too foreign for Japanese jingoists?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Which is ruined by Corrin, as the ending story conversation of this chapter has him/her say

and then acting like its impossible for someone to overhear him announce this, so latter in the story this point acts as "proof" that they are the real murderer...

 

 

Well the murderer does pointedly say they saw Corrin pin the flower, displaying not just knowledge of it existing but also referring to visibly seeing it (course this brings up other questions of, does that mean Anankos jumped down and then flew back up and was spying on Corrin? Or does Anankos just see everything everywhere by virtue of being Anankos?).

By the by, hands up who else saw that plot twist coming a mile away? When you suddenly start giving a character attention like that out of nowhere in a Fire Emblem game it really raises red flags for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ozarhok said:

Hi I'm the Nephenee. I recently got back into my Conquest Lunatic playthrough and I'm kinda stuck on Chapter 21, so I removed almost every building in hope that more people will be able to get a +4 boost for the next battle. It's a slow process but it works.

Something just occurred to me while doing morning prep: are you sure this is the best idea? Shouldn't you wait until somebody gets a stat boost, then bring a building back and give them a hat to make them work in it? I think after a certain point having more units wandering around doesn't actually increase the number of events you get, so taking everyone who's already gotten the boost and putting them inside might get the rest of the units their boosts faster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...