Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

6 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think Rodrique's line about the village and the king does suggest his priorities are somewhat out of whack. I'm sure Rodrique is a decent lord and that he considers personally riding to his subject's rescue to be his duty. But that his first thought about the battle being about a long dead king rather than the villagers themselves is rather telling. Just like he probably wanted to be there for Felix but that his overal mentality just wasn't very useful when dealing with a traumatized child. 

I think that's kind of the thing with Faerghus, that even morally good characters are to some degree corrupted by its ideals. 

Maybe if the words were reflective of bad actions, but we're shown nothing to indicate he wasn't prioritizing the safety of the people. In fact, the opening formation had nearly all of his men single handedly blocking the path to the villagers to protect them. Given that the "I'd never be able to face him" line has been said millions of times in media perfectly innocently, Felix reflexively reading into it with a microscope after Rodrigue's actions said nothing of his priorities being out of whack just feels comically unfair.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Ah, it seems that they... “disguised” themselves as Almyrans.

...I'm sorry, but when I hear it phrased like that, like... even though the game makes it clear they aren't doing that, it really sounds like they were doing brownface.

Naw, they are clearly trying for the Boston Tea Party style of disguise

1280px-Boston_Tea_Party-Cooper.jpg

Where their Native American "disguises" was clearly just some overweight white dudes taking off their shirt and tying their hair up 😛

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Okay, I'll try out war monk on Felix for a bit, and I'm glad I got it for those stat boosts, but the difference between his magic and strength growths is stark as hell, so I don't think it'll be a long-term thing. Especially since it has fistfaire but not black tomefaire. I'll send him through grappler once his grappling gets high enough. Maybe war master, but I don't think he'll gain much from strong riposte.

He will gain a lot from Crit +20 though, so if you are ditching War Monk I would recommend War Master. But up to you, of course.

As for the Rodrigue discussion, from Felix’s perspective doing a good thing for the wrong reasons is almost as bad as just not doing said good thing. It’s the fact that Rodrigue connects his helping the villagers to, as Felix puts it, his ego, that sets him off. It is completely unfair to Rodrigue, but that’s practically every interaction Felix has with anyone for you.

Not only is saving the villagers needlessly difficult in Felix's paralogue, but even saving Rodrigue is a nightmare. I think  he can be killed on turn 1 in Maddening if you don't race up and use a gambit to stop some enemies from reaching him. It feels like a frustratingly untested map. At least on Maddening, I don't think I've ever played it on the lower difficulties.

Edited by Jotari

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

Not only is saving the villagers needlessly difficult in Felix's paralogue, but even saving Rodrigue is a nightmare. I think  he can be killed on turn 1 in Maddening if you don't race up and use a gambit to stop some enemies from reaching him. It feels like a frustratingly untested map. At least on Maddening, I don't think I've ever played it on the lower difficulties.

....Aaaaaand Rodrigue is Exhibit A as to why Holy Knight sucks horribly. He shoulda been a Paladin or something instead. Anyways, I agree. Isn't he in the range of like three enemies to start? That's insane when only two of them can defeat him. ...Now that I think about it, maybe this factors into why Felix can't stand him.

Also, he appears again as an NPC later on, but he fares even worse when he shows up again because pretty much everything doubles him. And the boss of said chapter thinks he'll make a better match than Byleth and friends... all this being said, talking to him with Byleth in said chapter will get you a weapon. I don't remember if he can be talked to with anyone else...

Edited by Shadow Mir

4 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

....Aaaaaand Rodrigue is Exhibit A as to why Holy Knight sucks horribly. He shoulda been a Paladin or something instead. Anyways, I agree. Isn't he in the range of like three enemies to start? That's insane when only two of them can defeat him. ...Now that I think about it, maybe this factors into why Felix can't stand him.

Or, it could be because the game doesn't give him Swordbreaker, Lance Prowess Lv. 3, Faith Prowess Lv. 4, and Authority Lv. 3, despite having the weapon ranks to do so. It's a recurring theme for green units to show up devoid of equippable skills, and it's honestly really frustrating.

Anyway, Paladin only offers slightly more survivability (1 point each in Strength, for weight offset, and Defense) relative to Holy Knight. The added mobility would be nice, as would the damage from Lancefaire. But Rodrigue would lose the chance to hit at range with Aura, or support with Fortify. So it's a trade-off. Ultimately, he's undermined by lackluster stats and an absence of skills.

46 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Or, it could be because the game doesn't give him Swordbreaker, Lance Prowess Lv. 3, Faith Prowess Lv. 4, and Authority Lv. 3, despite having the weapon ranks to do so. It's a recurring theme for green units to show up devoid of equippable skills, and it's honestly really frustrating.

Anyway, Paladin only offers slightly more survivability (1 point each in Strength, for weight offset, and Defense) relative to Holy Knight. The added mobility would be nice, as would the damage from Lancefaire. But Rodrigue would lose the chance to hit at range with Aura, or support with Fortify. So it's a trade-off. Ultimately, he's undermined by lackluster stats and an absence of skills.

Yeah, Holy Knight is a shitty class for the player because it doesn't provide any advantageous skills over Dark Knight, but it's not like it's a tainted inherently bad class. There's no reason an NPC or an enemy can't be a Holy Knight and a decent unit, and he is more of a threat in Crimson Flower, though chances are you'll just combat art him to kingdomcome before his stats can matte).  They just need decent stats. Which Rodrigue doesn't have. Despite being in a Master Class in part 1 😕 (by the by, Jearlt is an NPC paladin too and he's nothing impressive. He's no Rodrigue, a stiff breeze won't kill him, but he is kind underwhelming for someone the story hypes as the most capable warrior alive).

Edited by Jotari

1 hour ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

You’d think a dude literally called the Shield of Faerghus would be, like, a Great Knight or something. Which would actually be super good for him, he’d be able to actually take a few hits like a good green unit.

46 minutes ago, Anathaco said:

You’d think a dude literally called the Shield of Faerghus would be, like, a Great Knight or something. Which would actually be super good for him, he’d be able to actually take a few hits like a good green unit.

They could have actually had him use the Aegis Shield either. Unlike Genealogy of the Holy War, these family heirlooms really seem like their destined for just one individual and not an entire clan.

31 minutes ago, Jotari said:

They could have actually had him use the Aegis Shield either. Unlike Genealogy of the Holy War, these family heirlooms really seem like their destined for just one individual and not an entire clan.

Which is a shame. I'd have loved to see Holst swing Freikugel or Sylvain's dirtbag dad stab with the lance of Ruin.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

That would be a way better explanation of how you get it for saving all the villagers. It genuinely reads like the shield belonged to the village.

2 hours ago, Jotari said:

It always seemed like a lineage thing to me - like, Count Gloucester probably used Thyrsus before Lysithea ever got to intercept it from Lorenz. But yeah, Aegis Shield Rodrigue would have been cool, whichever class they put him in.

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Which is a shame. I'd have loved to see Holst swing Freikugel or Sylvain's dirtbag dad stab with the lance of Ruin.

And that was your first mistake.

6 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

It always seemed like a lineage thing to me -

Yeah that's obviously the way it's meant to be, but therein lies the issue. Only one individual ever is seen wielding the weapons in the game. We never see them being used by multiple generations of the same family. Gilbert being another prime example. But Rodrigue and Gilbert aside this is yet another aspect where they're outright afraid to show any other generation which weighs the game down. In other, words the fact that it's a lineage thing is something they tell us and not something they show us.

Edited by Jotari

4 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yeah that's obviously the way it's meant to be, but therein lies the issue. Only one individual ever is seen wielding the weapons in the game. We never see them being used by multiple generations of the same family. Gilbert being another prime example. But Rodrigue and Gilbert aside this is yet another aspect where they're outright afraid to show any other generation which weighs the game down. In other, words the fact that it's a lineage thing is something they tell us and not something they show us.

While I agree that Rodrigue should have had the Aegis shield, I don't think it would have been a good diea to give Crusher to Gilbert. Partly because he couldn't use it well since he has useless magic, but mainly because he doesn't have a Crest. And while they could have just given him a Crest, I think that having him be without one served a useful purpose in showing us (rather than just telling us) about how the Crest system is breaking down, with Crests being weaker than they used to be, skipping generations, and so on.

As for other relics, there are two of them that we do see being used by family members, albeit by brothers rather than parents (the Rafail Gem and the Lance of Ruin). Of the other relics, most of them wouldn't really have made all that much sense to have been shown with another wielder. The Sword of the Creator and Blutgang just aren't family heirlooms at all, so they're out. Areadbhar's most likely previous owner is dead. Lúin doesn't have any other potential wielders, since Ingrid is the only member of her family with a Crest. Failnaught also wouldn't work since Duke Riegan is elderly and not really in a fit state to be on a battlefield. Thunderbrand is already being actively used by Catherine from the start of the game, rather than being passed down to her during the course of the game.

Of course, any of these story elements could have been changed, but not trivially. There'd have been ripple effects into other elements of the story. For instance, it's a fairly central part of Ingrid's character that she is the only member of her family with a Crest and that this puts obligations on her regarding marriage and inheritance that are at odds with her aspirations to knighthood. If you change that, you change the character.

However, there are two relics left that would have made more sense to show an additional wielder: Freikugel and Thyrsus. Now, for personal preference, I quite like that we never got to see Count Gloucester in battle. He always comes across more as a politician than a soldier so it makes sense to me.

All of that said, I do think that this is the sort of situation where a little would have gone a long way. they really wouldn't have had to show all that many family members with relics to have cemented the idea that the relics are family weapons. Even if it had just been Rodrigue wielding the Aegis shield and Holst showing up in Hilda's paralogue and carrying Freikugel, then I think that would have been enough.

14 minutes ago, lenticular said:

Failnaught also wouldn't work since Duke Riegan is elderly and not really in a fit state to be on a battlefield.

I now have the thought of seeing Claude’s mum use it at some point, although that would require us to actually meet her. Though considering the few stories we got of her puts her in a tier of off-screen badassery rivaled only by Caspar’s dad and Holst himself, maybe bows wouldn’t have been her style.

2 hours ago, lenticular said:

While I agree that Rodrigue should have had the Aegis shield, I don't think it would have been a good diea to give Crusher to Gilbert. Partly because he couldn't use it well since he has useless magic, but mainly because he doesn't have a Crest. And while they could have just given him a Crest, I think that having him be without one served a useful purpose in showing us (rather than just telling us) about how the Crest system is breaking down, with Crests being weaker than they used to be, skipping generations, and so on.

We discussed Gilbert and Crusher earlier in the thread so you can search that to see my (and others) general opinions on it (I think it was shanty Pete who made a point that he would actually make a great user for Aegis in terms of gameplay if he had a crest, since aegis doesn't actually have any great wielders).

As for other relics, there are two of them that we do see being used by family members, albeit by brothers rather than parents (the Rafail Gem and the Lance of Ruin).

We actually no. The Death Knight never uses the Rafail Gem, and that's one of the most frustrating aspects of it. As an enemy it would help to make him harder to cheese in Part 2 maps,  but even worse than that, it just outright vanishes if you play Crimson Flower. By all logic it should come with him. Well that's not true, it doesn't outright vanish since an enemy Mercedes can have it, and that kind of highlights my point. The game doesn't consider it the weapon if the Lamine family, it's Mercedes's weapon, even when it would make more sense for her brother to have it because that's where it comes from and he even has a class and statline more suitable for it. And yes, maybs off screen something like Mercedes's paralogue happens (even though on Crimson Flower Caspar will always be with you), but that doesn't work if you recruit Mercedes. The way the game is structured the Death Knight never uses and can never use the Raifail Gem which bothers me far more than it should (mostly on principle since it's not a great relic to begin with).

Edited by Jotari

16 minutes ago, Jotari said:

We actually no. The Death Knight never uses the Rafail Gem, and that's one of the most frustrating aspects of it. As an enemy it would help to make him harder to cheese in Part 2 maps,  but even worse than that, it just outright vanishes if you play Crimson Flower. By all logic it should come with him. Well that's not true, it doesn't outright vanish since an enemy Mercedes can have it, and that kind of highlights my point. The game doesn't consider it the weapon if the Lamine family, it's Mercedes's weapon, even when it would make more sense for her brother to have it because that's where it comes from and he even has a class and statline more suitable for it. And yes, maybs off screen something like Mercedes's paralogue happens (even though on Crimson Flower Caspar will always be with you), but that doesn't work if you recruit Mercedes. The way the game is structured the Death Knight never uses and can never use the Raifail Gem which bothers me far more than it should (mostly on principle since it's not a great relic to begin with).

Huh. I had in my head that he did use the Rafail Gem during that paralogue. Not sure why I was thinking that. Just a brain fart moment, I guess. Or possibly just wishful thinking. My excuse is that I mostly avoid that paralogue since I'm basically never recruiting Caspar and since the reward is garbage. But yeah, you're right, he definitely should have had it, at least in some of his appearances if not all.

3 hours ago, lenticular said:

However, there are two relics left that would have made more sense to show an additional wielder: Freikugel and Thyrsus. Now, for personal preference, I quite like that we never got to see Count Gloucester in battle. He always comes across more as a politician than a soldier so it makes sense to me.

Though apparently he can fight. Lorenz said he won the battle of Eagle and Lion during his Academy days, and he was at least present during Nemesis' rise(until he wasn't).

20 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Yeah, that's even more egregious. Anyhow, I'd say not having Aura is no big loss, as it is pretty lousy. 

20 hours ago, Jotari said:

Yeah, Holy Knight is a shitty class for the player because it doesn't provide any advantageous skills over Dark Knight, but it's not like it's a tainted inherently bad class. There's no reason an NPC or an enemy can't be a Holy Knight and a decent unit, and he is more of a threat in Crimson Flower, though chances are you'll just combat art him to kingdomcome before his stats can matte).  They just need decent stats. Which Rodrigue doesn't have. Despite being in a Master Class in part 1 😕 (by the by, Jearlt is an NPC paladin too and he's nothing impressive. He's no Rodrigue, a stiff breeze won't kill him, but he is kind underwhelming for someone the story hypes as the most capable warrior alive).

That's what kills Holy Knight for me - the fact that it's worse at everything than other magic classes, even the advanced classes. And considering that I don't consider Dark Knight to be all that great... what prayer is Holy Knight gonna have when what it can do, other magic classes can do better?? By the way, I would say Holy Knight is inherently bad considering that most offensive white magic sucks (considering the basic attack spell for white magic is 8 weight and 1 might...).

RE: Jeralt, I think that's a recurring problem among characters that get built up to be badasses in this series. Most of them don't live up to it.

Edited by Shadow Mir

We discussed Gilbert and Crusher earlier in the thread so you can search that to see my (and others) general opinions on it (I think it was shanty Pete who made a point that he would actually make a great user for Aegis in terms of gameplay if he had a crest, since aegis doesn't actually have any great wielders).

Yeah, that sounds like the kind of thing I would've said. I think it came about in a "shuffling the Relics around" discussion. Interestingly, the only Crested units with at least a 40% Defense growth are Dimitri, Sylvain, and Balthus. Among female units, only Leonie hits 40%, as even Crested units who are ostensibly gifted in Armor (Edelgard, Hilda) only sit at 35%. Not to say they can't be turned into good defensive tanks, but if you're going for a "physical tank" build, every Defense proc counts.

24 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

RE: Jeralt, I think that's a recurring problem among characters that get built up to be badasses in this series. Most of them don't live up to it.

Marisa moment

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

Though apparently he can fight. Lorenz said he won the battle of Eagle and Lion during his Academy days, and he was at least present during Nemesis' rise(until he wasn't).

It could just be that his house won, no? For all we know, pre-Count Gloucester was warming the bench, while Duke Goneril did all the heavy lifting.

Perhaps they could've made it so Mercedes only gets the Rafail Gem on AM? Whereby, if she succeeds in getting the "Jeritza dies CG", then Jeritza gifts it to her before passing away. In this encounter, and all others post-skip, he would be equipping it in battle.

But what of Mercedes' paralogue? Well, how about instead, this is how the Tathlum Bow is received? Wherein, Jeritza believes it will protect her, as a Saintly weapon. This way, the Bow becomes available on any non-CF route, while the Gem becomes AM-exclusive.

Ah, but what about CF? Here, let's suppose that Jeritza shows up with the Rafail Gem, post-skip. If Mercedes is not recruited, then she'll show up with the Tathlum Bow as a potential weapon post-skip. But, if she is recruited, then Jeritza will give Mercedes the Tathlum Bow, upon hitting their A-rank support.

Also the Tathlum Bow should do magical damage don't @ me.

3 hours ago, lenticular said:

Huh. I had in my head that he did use the Rafail Gem during that paralogue. Not sure why I was thinking that. Just a brain fart moment, I guess. Or possibly just wishful thinking. My excuse is that I mostly avoid that paralogue since I'm basically never recruiting Caspar and since the reward is garbage. But yeah, you're right, he definitely should have had it, at least in some of his appearances if not all.

The reason you remember it that way is because it makes far more sense for him to have it.

55 minutes ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Yeah, that sounds like the kind of thing I would've said. I think it came about in a "shuffling the Relics around" discussion. Interestingly, the only Crested units with at least a 40% Defense growth are Dimitri, Sylvain, and Balthus. Among female units, only Leonie hits 40%, as even Crested units who are ostensibly gifted in Armor (Edelgard, Hilda) only sit at 35%. Not to say they can't be turned into good defensive tanks, but if you're going for a "physical tank" build, every Defense proc counts.

Marisa moment

It could just be that his house won, no? For all we know, pre-Count Gloucester was warming the bench, while Duke Goneril did all the heavy lifting.

Perhaps they could've made it so Mercedes only gets the Rafail Gem on AM? Whereby, if she succeeds in getting the "Jeritza dies CG", then Jeritza gifts it to her before passing away. In this encounter, and all others post-skip, he would be equipping it in battle.

But what of Mercedes' paralogue? Well, how about instead, this is how the Tathlum Bow is received? Wherein, Jeritza believes it will protect her, as a Saintly weapon. This way, the Bow becomes available on any non-CF route, while the Gem becomes AM-exclusive.

Ah, but what about CF? Here, let's suppose that Jeritza shows up with the Rafail Gem, post-skip. If Mercedes is not recruited, then she'll show up with the Tathlum Bow as a potential weapon post-skip. But, if she is recruited, then Jeritza will give Mercedes the Tathlum Bow, upon hitting their A-rank support.

Also the Tathlum Bow should do magical damage don't @ me.

One thing to note about the Rafail Gem just showing up in Jeritza's inventory is that he's DLC, and they've already  created CF Enemy Mercedes who has it in the base game. But they still could just ignore that. Seteth only has the Spear of Assal in Crimson Flower if you ignored his paralogue (and possibly the shield too, I can't remember), so there is precedent for enemies lacking weapons if the player has it (though to ever give enemy Mercedes her Raifail Gem back would require just ignoring Jeritza for the entirety of Crimson Flower...though that isn't all that much crazier than just ignoring Seteth's paralogue throughout all of part 1).

It's easy to forget Tathlum Bow even exists, it has so little fanfare about it. Though I'm not sure I really like your suggestions. It requires us to believe that the Death Knight is carrying around both of these weapons yet arbitrarily only ever hands one of them over to Mercedes. It being obtained from A Jeritza Mercedes support would be nice though (and would be pay off for establishing that as possible with Felix and Dimitri), especially because then I could give it right back to Jeritza (as far as it dealing Magic Damage, sure, why not, it'd help it stand out in a game that's bloated with so called legendary weapons, especially since it's directly going up against the Inexhaustable which is a brave weapon with renewal on top, while this is just a regular old weapon with renewal).

Edited by Jotari

All the Relic Weapon chatter is in part making me think how Three Houses is inspired by FE4's holy lineages, and perhaps Dynasty and Samurai Warriors. People have already joked Edelgard is Female Cao Cao, Dimitri is Liu Bei, and Claude is Sun Quan, but I ponder if the borrowings from Koei Tecmo's flagship series go a little further than that. Clans were a defining feature of the warlord class in both Three Kingdoms China and Sengoku Japan.

I'm not going to claim something ridiculous like "The Aenirs are based on the Yuan family!". There is no hard evidence that 3H was influenced by the games about the Simas, Guans, Xiahous, Takedas, Moris, Shimazus et al. And it'd be difficult to dissect "proof" because of Genealogy being stated as inspiration for this game, and Europe coincidentally having their own tradition of aristocratic families like in 2nd/3rd AD China and 1500s AD Japan. But, the possibility remains.

-I'm thinking about this because I've been playing a lot of Samurai Warriors 5 recently. And in a neat touch, each character has their skill nodes arranged over an image of their clan's mon- the family emblem.

1 hour ago, Jotari said:

it'd help it stand out in a game that's bloated with so called legendary weapons

On the other hand, it means a lot of people have what could be called "personal" equipment, even if they aren't truly exclusive to them (I hope Thyrsus has a bottle of hand sanitizer glued to it). Thats a neat idea, since personal weapons could be a defining feature that helps distinguish characters, yet in the past were mostly underutilized and limited to special stuff belonging to the lords. There is no singular "legendary *insert weapon type here* that rules above all others" (in lore at least, if not gameplay) in 3H, unlike most prior FEs.

Just now, Alastor15243 said:

You mean apart from being incredibly repetitive, recycled and lazy?

Ah, not a Musou fan. I see. I personally enjoy them, rather easy action games than brutally hard ones (Souls, Kamiya/Platinum Games' portfolio) for me. But I get all the reasons why many don't appreciate the games.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ah, not a Musou fan. I see. I personally enjoy them, rather easy action games than brutally hard ones (Souls, Kamiya/Platinum Games' portfolio) for me. But I get all the reasons why many don't appreciate the games.

Yeah, I got FE warriors as one of my first Switch games. Didn't get the hype. Though apparently judging by some fans whose content I've seen, the series has been going downhill for a while.