Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

New Mystery Day 10: Chapter 3x

Alright. First gaiden chapter.

Let's see what the damage is.

And the game interface-spoils the fact that Lena won't be rescued until the absolute end of the game by having Julian's “how's everyone” experience gain quote say that he won't stop working until he's found her, and I don't think anyone here believes this game planned on giving anyone multiple, conditional quotes for this.

Oh goodie. We can only bring six units.

Anyway, I suppose I should talk about the star shards now that I have one. They're simultaneously a lot more fun and a lot more boring here than in the original FE3 Book 2. They no longer radically alter growth rates, they just provide small static stat bonuses to whoever's holding them. Seeing how I'm constantly frustrated by games where playing in weird or boring ways gives you better stats, I vastly prefer this system. But only two points per item slot feels like a bit too small to have anything even resembling the same “cool” factor the original ones had. Whatever, I guess I'll give it to Dakota.

...Speaking of items, It finally occurs to me to give Cecil the lady sword, and in the process I discover that the description of the steel sword still describes it being “weighty” in the context of it being a disadvantage in this game, despite weight being gone.

...I also have to assume that dynamic growths are no longer a thing, because Rody's missed like 5 consecutive speed levels at this point, and that would mean his growth rate would be at 97.5% right now.

Shame, I kinda liked it, though I understand why it was removed. Judging by my casual theorycrafting, it would cause every growth rate below 50% to slowly rise on average until eventually it becomes 50% and stays there. Doesn't matter what the original growth rate is as long as it's below 50%. If you increase a growth rate by 10% of its default value whenever you fail a growth rate check, and reduce it by 10% of that default value with every success (but never bring it below its default value), then it's just gonna keep rising on average until it finally reaches equilibrium at 50%, at which point half the time it rises and half the time it falls, both by the exact same amount.

Okay, so, this whole “not telling me where my allies are going to start” thing is really, really frustrating for preparation. If it weren't for the insane utility of the dual screen system and the range highlighting and all that, it might be worth docking points. But nope, there's no game that has all of its advantages and doesn't also have that problem, so it's gonna keep its top spot for usability... for now.

But this seems pretty straightforward. I'll bring Arran just in case, but I think I should be able to rout these knights and then rush towards that open space that I have to assume is going to be where my ally shows up.

I'll bring Marth, Dakota, Arran, Luke, Cecil and Malicia.

...Fuck, I just realized I nearly forgot the talks.

Alright, doing those. Near as I can tell, 1 star is a support conversation, 2 stars is story, and 3 stars is a recap. So let's start with the 1 stars. Starting with Dakota and Malicia, and Malicia's delusional romantic obsession with Marth.

Okay, this is pure concentrated cringe, but I did find I really amusing that Dakota's so unfailingly polite that he actually pre-emptively apologizes for interrupting her talking out loud about her romantic fantasy just as she's clearly getting to her favorite part. I don't know why I find that so amusing, but I do.

Yeah this is totally dumb. Somebody obviously just wanted to write a character like this and imposed this personality upon a character who showed absolutely no signs of being like it in the original.

The one with Arran is a bit better though. Dakota's coming to him trying to work out what it means to be a knight, but Arran clearly has some kind of complex about how worthy of a knight he is, and of course is dying of a sickness (which is such a fascinating character trait that I don't think we've ever seen in support conversations besides this).

I'm noticing a pattern that all of the “conversation” songs are remixes of map themes, often with rather arbitrary tones. The “Advance” conversation theme is somber and sad, while the “Holy War” conversation theme is all quirky and wacky.

...Actually, that's another thing: weirdly, it feels like this game is channeling Fates or Awakening with its conversation music, like those games somehow came first and this game was trying to kinda awkwardly repurpose existing tracks to fulfill a similar purpose. But no, obviously this was the game that came first, which makes the music kinda surreal.

...And the last conversation wasn't even worth the time it took to read it. It serves no purpose other than as a recap for anyone who saved on the prep screen and then completely forgot what the story was.

Anyway, we start, and our new recruit is... Wrys.

Fucking Wrys.

Of course it's Wrys. This is how they not only introduce the gaiden characters, but re-introduce everyone from FE1 that FE11 brought back after FE3 retconned them out of existence.

...Why did I even bother getting out of bed today?

Anyway, Kleine... sorry... Clarisse... tells Katarina that...

...No, sorry, I've gotta talk about this. Apparently her original Japanese name of Kleine, combined with Katarina's original real name Ein, was a reference to Ein Kleine Nachtmusik, a Mozart composition. But they changed their names from Ein and Kleine to Reese and Clarisse, keeping the completely coincidental rhythmic rhyming scheme while throwing away the actual point of the theme naming.

I don't even know what to fucking say here.

But yeah, apparently their boss, whoever she is, tasked them with assassinating all of Marth's old allies before they can join him again. That is... astonishingly genre-savvy of their boss. Bravo, seriously.

And Katarina yet again openly admits that she wasn't much use to Dakota as a tactician, and she didn't give him the advice a proper tactician should give.

Christ, why does the game still insist on reminding me that the Altean recruitment system is complete and utter shit?

Anyway, we get “Those who Dare to Change History” again, and I'm fucking loving it. First move though is to have everyone stand back as Marth rapiers the three knights to death. He starts at a pleasantly high level with some pretty good stats, and I wanna keep that up.

Also, the boss is a fucking sniper, guarding a castle. Is this some kind of joke? I'm pretty sure she's gonna leave, because if we actually fight her, that's gonna be pathetic.

Enemies start pursuing Wrys, and he's got limited room to run away. But thankfully a lucky crit from Marth means I can kill both archers on the same turn with him and Arran, and then Arran can rush in to Wrys's rescue the turn after that by slaughtering the archer chasing him.

Okay, this map is... comically tiny, and I'm torn. On one hand, it's definitely better than the prologue maps, since there's still more space to move around in, and also, it's nice that missing these gaiden chapters doesn't deprive you of a veritable Monty Hall jackpot of goodies and exp, but on the other hand... this barely feels like a chapter at all.

Right, looks like I was correct. Clarisse bails, and... doesn't even leave anyone behind to guard the seize point?

Anyway, Arran just barely made it before Wrys had to see combat. He'd have survived another turn after that as long as I killed the archer, so I guess you don't have to be too aggressive to keep Wrys alive as long as you bring a good flier, but one, the game gives you no indication of who you'll need to rescue and where they'll be, so this is pretty hostile to ironmans, and second... seriously... Wrys? I checked: his stats still suck. The fuck kind of reward is this?

...And then ambush spawns come out of the forts.

So this game is shittier about ambush spawns than Shadow Dragon was.

Noted.

Thankfully nobody was weak enough to be one-shot, and I had the good luck to move Wrys over so that the knight would attack him from a place the people riding to his rescue could actually reach (I had Arran fly off to be healed). Seriously though... fuck you, game. Expecting me to sit on forts to halt reinforcements... in a map that has three forts and seven units!?

And then Dakota has a talk with Wrys that doesn't have him say any lines, just Wrys repeating his weirdly memetic recruitment line from Shadow Dragon.

Aaaaand we're done.

I have to wonder what the fuck this castle is. They clearly took it from someone, but like... that's a big deal, isn't it? Lots of people must have lived here, unless it was abandoned. And why would a castle be abandoned? The assassins were only here to “assassinate” one bald staff man. They weren't here before now, so who was using this place before they got here to set up their temporary base? You expect me to believe a castle with a still-sturdy gate wasn't occupied by someone? Bandits at least?

...This feels really dumb of me to harp on, considering that I enjoyed the plot of Advance Wars Days of Ruin, and that tries to tell a post-apocalyptic story of death and hunger in the wake of a meteor-ravaged Earth... that still has massive intact cities and automated remote control tank factories everywhere the heroes fucking go. But like, that still bothered me there, and it was definitely the weakest part of the story, so...

...Ugh. Let's see what the next chapter is.

...No, first, I have to deal with Wrys's offer to shave my head, which he inexplicably paints as no big deal because I can just let it grow back if I don't like it... which will happen in the space of days apparently. Anyway, no, I obviously turn the guy down.

...Anyway, that's it for today. Part of me wishes I'd go faster, but another part of me really, really doesn't want to, so for now, I'll leave it here.

Stay safe, everyone.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

...No, sorry, I've gotta talk about this. Apparently her original Japanese name of Kleine, combined with Katarina's original real name Ein, was a reference to Ein Kleine Nachtmusik, a Mozart composition. But they changed their names from Ein and Kleine to Reese and Clarisse, keeping the completely coincidental rhythmic rhyming scheme while throwing away the actual point of the theme naming.

And they went with Roro instead of calling Legion Nachtmusik!

This is the first map in your run that I can't envision at all. Every chapter of every game I could imagine what it looks like until now. New Mystery is not my strong suit. I've only played it once. I do remember Wrys shaving Kris's head though. Was Wrys really the only unit gained in this chapter? They should have thrown a bunch of units in with him (or at least 1) over the later "Joining your army out of nowhere like Shadow Dragon replacement characters" thing. Give us someone like, I don't know bloody Frost or Radd or something to bounce off of. And while I'm at it the three Sable Knights definitely should have had a Gaiden dedicated to them rather than showing up out of nowhere. They are the prime offenders of that trope in this game (unless I'm forgetting and they do in fact have a Gaiden, I'm pretty sure they don't though).

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

This is the first map in your run that I can't envision at all. Every chapter of every game I could imagine what it looks like until now. New Mystery is not my strong suit. I've only played it once. I do remember Wrys shaving Kris's head though.

Ah, sorry! The indirect praise is encouraging though! I've always been concerned I'm not doing a good enough job of that. Guess I checked out even further with this chapter than I realized.

Basically it's a winding mountain path back and forth, snaking north and south as it heads east between two mountains before finally reaching a castle. Forests everywhere, and there's three forts scattered along the path.

4 minutes ago, Jotari said:

Was Wrys really the only unit gained in this chapter? They should have thrown a bunch of units in with him (or at least 1) over the later "Joining your army out of nowhere like Shadow Dragon replacement characters" thing. Give us someone like, I don't know bloody Frost or Radd or something to bounce off of. And while I'm at it the three Sable Knights definitely should have had a Gaiden dedicated to them rather than showing up out of nowhere. They are the prime offenders of that trope in this game (unless I'm forgetting and they do in fact have a Gaiden, I'm pretty sure they don't though).

Yeah, I totally agree here. Wrys is such a pointless optional recruit, like, he's literally worthless after reclassing becomes an option. They could have at least had the decency to buff his growth rates more so that if you did use him, he'd turn out good.

34 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Apparently her original Japanese name of Kleine, combined with Katarina's original real name Ein, was a reference to Ein Kleine Nachtmusik, a Mozart composition.

I have no words.

11 minutes ago, Jotari said:

And they went with Roro instead of calling Legion Nachtmusik!

I mean, night music is a weird name for an assassin.

Then again, so are "A" and "Little"...

On 11/2/2020 at 10:24 AM, Alastor15243 said:

Alright, new map design philosophy, new week, new month, and hey @Espurrhoodie, looks like Hitler didn't get resurrected by black magic yet!

Actually, I don't think anything bad happened in October! Worst thing I can think of off the top of my head is that Triple-Q's channel got terminated due to copyright infringement for the third time ever. Unless something bad happened that month that I just repressed and forgot about.

3 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Actually, I don't think anything bad happened in October! Worst thing I can think of off the top of my head is that Triple-Q's channel got terminated due to copyright infringement for the third time ever. Unless something bad happened that month that I just repressed and forgot about.

Well, sadly, Sean Connery died on Halloween. 'Course, lots of people died in October, as they do every month, and Sean Connery probably wasn't even the only celebrity. He was just the only one I heard about.

Edited by Alastor15243

2 hours ago, Benice said:

I mean, night music is a weird name for an assassin.

Then again, so are "A" and "Little"...

Perhaps the joke would have been: Eine kleine Legion (A Small Legion), as legion is the same in German (which Roro still falls a few thousand dudes short of being).

I also don´t know why someone would use Nachtmusik for an assassin - after listening to it, it isn´t quite the kind of music you´d expect someone to (quietly ) die to. Unless of course it references what wikipedia teaches, that a Nachtmusik is palyed in the evening.

1 minute ago, Imuabicus said:

Perhaps the joke would have been: Eine kleine Legion (A Small Legion), as legion is the same in German (which Roro still falls a few thousand dudes short of being).

Oh. That definitely makes a lot more sense.  If they remake and/or officially localize FE12, I wonder what they'll do with some of the names. I think that they've all been localized in Heroes  but they do have some inconsistencies from time to time.

2 minutes ago, Imuabicus said:

also don´t know why someone would use Nachtmusik for an assassin - after listening to it, it isn´t quite the kind of music you´d expect someone to (quietly ) die to. Unless of course it references what wikipedia teaches, that a Nachtmusik is palyed in the evening.

I mean, maybe night music because it's the night of your life, and it's the last thing you'll hear?

13 minutes ago, Benice said:

I mean, maybe night music because it's the night of your life, and it's the last thing you'll hear?

To put it in terms of Legion/Roro...

*ahem*

Uweeheehee.

Spoiler

I would  also assume it to be easier to kill someone in the evening or at night, but what do I know.

Edited by Imuabicus

59 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Well, sadly, Sean Connery died on Halloween. 'Course, lots of people died in October, as they do every month, and Sean Connery probably wasn't even the only celebrity. He was just the only one I heard about.

Oh. Yeah. That.

Well, at least he died peacefully.

6 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Ah, sorry! The indirect praise is encouraging though! I've always been concerned I'm not doing a good enough job of that. Guess I checked out even further with this chapter than I realized.

Basically it's a winding mountain path back and forth, snaking north and south as it heads east between two mountains before finally reaching a castle. Forests everywhere, and there's three forts scattered along the path.

Yeah, I totally agree here. Wrys is such a pointless optional recruit, like, he's literally worthless after reclassing becomes an option. They could have at least had the decency to buff his growth rates more so that if you did use him, he'd turn out good.

Oh I wasn't sending you indirect praise. I was stroking my own ego!

3 hours ago, Benice said:

Oh. That definitely makes a lot more sense.  If they remake and/or officially localize FE12, I wonder what they'll do with some of the names. I think that they've all been localized in Heroes  but they do have some inconsistencies from time to time.

Pret sure Awakening was the first game to give na.es to the assassins.

4 hours ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Time to pour out some soju and cry while listening to Gangnam Style on repeat. Goodnight, sweet prince.

7 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Anyway, Kleine... sorry... Clarisse... tells Katarina that...

It is pretty funny, though, that they change her name from one that sounds like Pent and Louise's son... to one that sounds like Pent and Louise's daughter.

Yeah this is totally dumb. Somebody obviously just wanted to write a character like this and imposed this personality upon a character who showed absolutely no signs of being like it in the original.

I seem to remember there being a few lines that make it clear Malicia has a thing for Marth in the origional Mystery, and with how obvious it is to everyone that Marth and Caeda are a couple, its not that large of a leap to conclude she is a bit delusional with regards to love...

Blame it on Heroes as I still have the FE12 translation with them as Eine and Kleine, before Heroes officially translated them (with the Reese's tome confirming Katarina's real name). Actually, I am kinda surprised your translation has Roro instead of Legion, as I thought they got that name update from FE13, before Heroes made Reese and Clarisse a thing...

3 hours ago, Shanty Pete's 1st Mate said:

Time to pour out some soju and cry while listening to Gangnam Style on repeat. Goodnight, sweet prince.

He will halate in the snow for all eternity up in heaven.... except not really cuz he's still alive but his main channel is gone so it still counts.

New Mystery Day 11: Chapter 4

So the opening narration reveals that the twins are in danger not from being pursued by the empire's goons, but because the orphanage was built in infamous viking territory, and that has only begun to bite them in the ass at this exact moment.

Oh god, Matthis's “training” line in “How's Everyone” (terrible name for the mechanic by the way, it's so weird to reference in a sentence) makes him sound like Makalov.

Anyway, let's do the obligatory talks. It's kind of amazing how much reading these things annoys me despite the fact that they take like a minute and the Tellius bases took up significantly more of my time.

Oh goodie, Cecil and Dakota.

So she goes on about how she wants the same respect but also the same standards and responsibilities, which is admirable...

...and then in comes her “adorable” fear of ghosts.

I probably wouldn't be bothered by this at all if it were attached to a character who otherwise had personality traits beyond being a tomboy with a gender issues chip on her shoulder in a game franchise where sexism only seems to affect one woman per army if it happens at all...

...But since that's literally all there is to her besides this, I can't help but read this “quirk” of hers like it's here to undermine that character trait of hers or make it silly.

Of course they don't outright have her admit it's a fear of ghosts yet, but... well, I'm still using her, so we'll hear the rest eventually.

Luke and Dakota's support is just... ugh. I get the sense that the problem here is fan translators who aren't overly interested in spicing up the dialogue beyond what it literally means. Like, I'm quite confident this would've been funny if 8-4 had written the English script. But they didn't.

...Speaking of which, upon looking them up I discovered 8-4 was the company responsible for localizing Undertale and Deltarune to Japan. I'd be really interested to know how they managed with that game's brand of humor, considering how good they've proven to be at translating Japanese humor to English. Undertale may be far from one of my favorite games, but there's no way I can deny it was funny. I hope they did that humor justice.

So, I'm watching Marth and Dakota's support, and something clicks in my head.

I just realized they've been steadily cranking up the level of authority your playable avatar character has with every passing game.

The first one here was basically just a (very strong) bodyguard to the prince.

The second one was the army's tactician and basically second-in-command of the entire armed forces of Ylisse, second only to the prince/Exalt himself.

The third one was a noble of three different royal families and more or less the commander of all but one of the armies you can side with.

The fourth one has you start out as just a teacher, but then you grow into a literal fucking messiah and also in some cases undisputed leader of the free world.

I wish they did something more interesting with this relatively more subservient avatar role, because realizing that contrast from how crazy it's gotten by the time of Three Houses is actually kind of interesting.

Anyway, apparently I was wrong about what the 3 star conversations are, because this time it isn't even a last-game recap at all, it's just telling us we can probably recruit Sirius. So now I'm at a total loss for what 3 stars is supposed to indicate.

Alright, I've got my first turn worked out, but I'm really concerned about how Ogma's side of the map is gonna go, because I can't see where anyone's positioned. I may have to use a rescue staff use just to keep Ogma alive without putting Sirius in a compromising situation to defend him. The enemies surrounding them are able to kill Sirius in just four hits this time.

Dakota finally gets another defense level up... and nothing else but HP. Ah well. At least he's got 9 defense now.

I notice that Aura has a good deal fewer uses than Excalibur had in Shadow Dragon. I wonder why.

Anyway, time to recruit Sirius.

My memory may be failing me here, but I've got this weird feeling that it didn't quite click with me last time that the reason Sirius wanted to help Ogma out was because he was protecting the heirs of Grust specifically.

There are a few thieves on this map, and they seem almost hidden, like they're positioned specifically in the hopes you don't realize they're there and don't take them out until it's too late. Thankfully I caught both.

...Okay, if I knew the specific space that rescue prioritizes sending you relative to the caster, I could've planned his a bit better. As it stands, I have to be risky and have Yubello bait one of the pirates away from Sirius, who he could otherwise help kill.

Ugh. This is frustrating. This thief can just barely one-round both of the twins, and I can't get them safely away from him and defend the village In order to take him out. I'm either going to have to hope for a crit, sacrifice one of the kids, or...

...use rescue a second time bring in someone to help.

Fuck. Well at least I'm getting Hammerne soon. I'll bring in Dakota since he's guaranteed to kill the thief and will be handy if any more enemies charge.

Thanks to the village at the southwest, the game's making me hang around these forts towards the start for waaaaaaaay too long for this to not be a trap. So I put my fliers on the forts just in case.

...Okay, so this time the game actually warns me that ambush spawns happening at least a turn in advance. That's nice of them, so yeah, let's take them up on that and actually fight them. Especially since we know they're not gonna be horsemen, so we can keep our fliers safe with a minimum distance.

Still though, fuck ambush spawns.

...Especially when they can carry silver axes holy shit. That one was a few points of attack shy of one-shotting Cecil.

Plus side, YES! DAKOTA GOT A NEAR PERFECT LEVEL UP! EVERYTHING BUT MAG, RES AND LUCK!

Anyway... yeah, the fact that only Marth can visit villages is so much more annoying in this game than it was in Shadow Dragon. The reinforcements in a lot of maps tended to give me stuff to do for longer than it would've taken to get all the treasure and the like. Here though, the maps always seem to end with Marth having to trek by himself across maps with shitty terrain, with villages positioned so that they cannot be reached while constantly moving closer to the end, or even to the other villages. It really doesn't take that long if you just focus on moving him after everything's done, but the mere fact that I have to do it is just so frustrating in this game.

I won't forget this” is a pretty dumb thing to say when you're dying, rather than running away. Am I supposed to take that to mean we let him go and he'll come back?

And... ugh. I can't make heads or tails of what just went on in that “recruit Castor” conversation.

...And we've seized, so now Caeda shows up.

...Okay, so, she reveals that Altea's been taken over by Archanea, but apparently Gra and Aurelis helped...?

...How is Gra in a position to supply notable forces to the invasion of a castle after its entire army was routed during the war last year? They lost, same as Grust. Shouldn't they be in a similar condition? And weren't all the Gra soldiers really weak in that map in FE3 Book 2?

Also, obligatory comment that news is traveling ridiculously quickly that Lang can get across the country and get an invasion done and Caeda can tell him about it in the time it takes Marth to go on this one mission. I wish these games would just say “fuck it” already and add teleportation to the lore in some capacity. FE4-style between-castle teleportation at least.

Hahahahaha, except now they're trying to treat the fact that it happened so fast as a plot point. As in saying that it's proof that it was planned in advance, before Marth was ever accused of being a traitor, because the idea of that all happening after they last saw Lang would be ridiculous. That would be cool, except, as I said, this is an outrageously common problem in Fire Emblem. Tellius suffered from it the least, but I think even it had some instances of travel and message times being outrageously dumb.

...And Elice let herself get captured yet again. Wow. Okay.

Marth (to Caeda): You needn't have to go through this.

Is that... I don't think that's proper grammar, but this is a fan translation, so whatever. For the record though, I'm pretty sure it should've been “You needn't have gone through this” or “You shouldn't have to go through this”.

Anyway, that's it for today.

Yet again I don't feel like doing a second chapter.

...Man, remember around a year ago that one day I got Merric and then did the entirety of Anri's way in a single day, despite finding FE3 Book 2's map design to be total butt?

...What the hell happened, man?

...Stay safe, everyone.

Gra has a half-decent force of experienced soldiers in FE3 Book 2, the Paladins, Horsemen and Snipers on Chapter 15 are all aligned with Gra rather than Archanea in that game.

Hey, so, I'll be leaving the poll up for a while longer (not sure how much longer), but I just wanted to say the results so far have been quite interesting. Especially the "least favorite" results. In particular I'm surprised that my Path of Radiance playlog is notably less popular than my Radiant Dawn one, considering I felt my passion level hadn't tanked nearly as much in PoR as it did in RD. I would've expected the Radiant Dawn one to be the worse read.

Dark Dragon I suspect was just me not hitting my stride yet.

I'm also flattered to discover that several people's least favorite entries were the first ones they read, which is really encouraging information to know it was still interesting enough to keep reading, and that it only got better from there.

Also, fascinatingly enough, Sacred Stones is the only place where the "favorite" and "least favorite" graphs have any overlap at all. For every other game it's either only people's favorite, or only people's least favorite, or just neither. I'm curious what made it that polarizing.

Also, if anyone wanted to post further thoughts on the why of their votes, I'd love to hear them!

Edited by Alastor15243

New Mystery Day 12: Chapter 5

So after watching Jaiden's Pokemon Nuzlocke video yet again, and wishing yet again that any of my ironman hijinks made for a story half as interesting as that, I finally decided yesterday to do my very first Pokemon Nuzlocke, and I started with Pokemon Diamond, which I literally have not touched in something like 11 years. And so begins the tale of Bubblebirb the piplup, Sinistar the starly, and HELLKRAKEN the magikarp.

...Gotta say, while I'm still invested and eager to give it a chance, it's not nearly as fun as I thought it would be, what with all the grinding. Ironmanning Fire Emblem is still very much my bag.

But of course... maybe not this Fire Emblem.

I still wish I could put into words what's so radically different in gameplay between FE11 and its sequel that's responsible for me having so little fun with this one. The only thing I can solidly point to is the absolutely god-awful map pacing. And maybe the extra story I'm not remotely invested in yet have to read anyway is dragging down the experience too.

Also, before I begin, a quick shout-out to ShaneBrained on YouTube. He's doing the exact same journey as me, except in video form, and apparently he's doing it as someone for whom this marathon is literally his first experience with the entire franchise, which is a level of resolve and commitment that would probably snap the tendrils of an eldritch god. He started earlier than me, and so far his latest video is for New Mystery, four months ago. I suspect I'll probably be finishing my marathon before he finishes his, given that he's only a little bit ahead of me despite him getting a head start... but yeah, I've watched the first three videos, and I was surprised at how many of his observations with the first three games mirrored my own. Check them out, they're definitely worthwhile watches.

Anyway, onto the chapter proper, starting with the narration.

So, back when I originally learned about this story, it had been after playing Brawl, and Snake's talk with Mei Ling was the first I'd heard it summarized. I never really saw the “betrayed by one of his closest friends” comment Mei Ling made to be very fitting, but thinking about it more and seeing the story again, yes, this was definitely a betrayal on Hardin's part. A premedidated invasion of his homeland after abusing his trust, not a simple act of becoming a foe. And this narration says they had apparently grown to be close friends. Would've been nice if we got any indication of that in Shadow Dragon, but that's a lost cause by this point, and seeing the rather pathetic half-measures this game did to “address” those issues... well, I can't really say this is an improvement.

I wish this game would explain why the hell Marth needs to go through Grust to get back to Altea, given that he's returning from Macedon, by ship.

Jagen says Archanea has “one of the most powerful militaries on the continent”. Who the fuck has a stronger military at this point?

...But this is just a pretense to bring up the “drill grounds”, which are apparently things that “operate all across the continent”. So this isn't just something we do at camp, it's like a shop or a storage house, and thus brings up similar questions of how the fuck these things can operate literally everywhere and aid our heroes unmolested.

Of the random stuff I got, I found something called the Bordcord axe, which I imagine sounded way cooler when it was called the Sajimaji axe.

I also found a skill potion, but... let's be real. There's almost no conceivable way that's ever going to be useful.

Not a fan of the drill grounds theme. It's just a more boring version of the Sacred Stones Chapter 4x theme. Which I must assume we're hearing faintly through the gaping hole that chapter ripped in the fabric of space and time.

OOOH!

I just noticed: This game lets you check your convoy even if you have a full inventory! At least in the prep screen, not sure about in-map. But the previous games didn't let you do that! At least not 5-8 and 11 I'm pretty sure. Maybe 9-10 did.

...Nope! False alarm! That was just the “list” function. “Convoy” still has that annoying problem of not even being able to look inside of it with a full inventory.

Anyway, the drill grounds... I'll try them once, but they look like they'll be pretty dang expensive for a single battle's worth of experience. Especially since you can still get killed. Probably a better system than arenas though.

Also, can we just take a second to point out how frankly fucking ridiculous this is? This is literally just an arena. You still risk mortal injury while fighting random challengers. Except, for some utterly incomprehensible reason, now you're paying them. Why? Why the fuck would anyone pay them for this? What service are they offering us? Losing still gets you killed, so they aren't creating a safe training environment. You use your own weapons, so they aren't providing equipment. What are they offering that you can't get from just doing drills with your own allies, especially since this game has already established that combat training need not come at the cost of human life?

This makes literally no sense from a business perspective. These things can't possibly get enough customers to be omnipresent literally everywhere we go. Are there really that many Goku-tier blood knights roaming the lands?

...Alright, let's just top off Marth's level as a formality and check out what we're dealing with.

Alright, I remember this battle from last time. I remember I wasted a rescue use on this fight because I was scared of what those snipers would do, but apparently they don't move unless you get really close to them. Still, no need to worry myself about that this time. I've got more fliers, and much more control over my starting formation, not to mention a better interface to work with for determining enemy ranges.

Oh and look, Barst is for some reason an enemy here, and I have to assume I can recruit him with Ogma.

Maybe I should stop stalling and read those talks.

Catria and Dakota's talk is so amazingly bland. They're just super polite and introduce themselves while praising each other's ability, and it's boring to the point where I question why it was even made.

We have a much better and much more interesting (but way too short) talk between Arran and Dakota as Dakota finds out about Arran's deathly illness and promises to tell no one (I seriously wish he would've made sure it wasn't contagious before promising that).

I think part of what annoys me about these supports is that, like with Three Houses, there's no individual effort on my part to get them. These feel like conversations that are thrust upon me whether I like them or not, rather than conversations I'm earning. Because that's what happens when you take support growth that basically just requires two units to be on the same map... and combine it with no limitations on how many supports you can see. It just becomes reading that outstays its welcome because thanks to the removal of the work your normally do to get them, or limitations on how many you can see, there's no specific point where I am actively making the decision that I want to see these characters specifically deepen their relationship.

When I see the “new supports” icon on the base menu in Awakening or Fates, I'm absolutely delighted, because it means my hard work is paying off and now I get to see the gameplay and story rewards I actively worked to achieve. When I see that icon over the support section of the base menu in Three Houses, I think “Oh great, another ocean of text I have to read unless I want to call myself a scene-skipper, even though I don't even remember what happened in the last one of any of these because there's been so goddamned many of them”.

Doesn't help that the gameplay boosts are much more boring both here and there than the more personalized boosts found in the GBA and 3DS games.

...I'll talk about this more later when it comes up in Three Houses. I'm nearing the end of Silver Snow now, and that means I'm thankfully reaching the point where the Blue Lions route I'll be doing for this playlog will hopefully be the last time I ever have to touch it.

Okay, so, thankfully, Jagen does explain that they're going through Grust on purpose, because they just can't leave Lang to his own devices.

I still hate this chapter. I hate how many assumptions it requires you to make about enemy AI in order to get all the treasure it dangles in front of your face. Thankfully however, it looks like I should just barely be able to intercept that third, furthest thief the very turn he steps into the dead zone between the ranges of the mages and the dracoknights if I fly Arran very, very carefully. After that...

...This map is going to unfortunately be a cakewalk.

Ugh. The game's dialogue is still infuriatingly unclear about the conditions in which Jeorge's snipers will move. They make it sound like it's the typical “don't move until someone gets in your range” AI, but apparently that wasn't the case in the original despite them saying the same thing. And AI apparently changes with difficulty, so unless I want to cheat and look this shit up, I have to assume they'll move the second we get in their range.

Thankfully there's nothing I have to get into their range to get. Aside from the physic staff that bishop has. I'm going to make sure I leave as few wounded enemies for him to heal as possible so that I can nab it by flying in on the last turn before seizing.

Alright, let's go.

So, yeah, Rickard's definitely flirty with Julian here, but as people said, they seem to imply that's just him being a massive troll. But with that, we've got the VIP card.

Thankfully I had just barely enough ranged firepower to take out the mage who was covered by the snipers in melee range. Things would've gotten ugly if Barst had missed though. I'd have had to press my luck with those snipers and elect someone for the chopping block or else let the mage attack me another turn.

Alright, the third thief is down, the master seal he held is mine, and the village is secure. And so the rest of the map is a cakewalk, because none of the enemies on this map seem to move until they're approached.

Which I'm concerned might become an extremely nasty recurring theme with this game.

Anyway, that means all that remains is to carefully secure those forts in case of ambush spawns. They're in range of a ballista though, so it might be wiser to just wait the reinforcements out with a sturdy unit like Dakota. Then again, it's stonehoist, which has terrible accuracy, so I can probably just take care of this knight in the way and then heal these guys up with my healers on the off chance they get hit.

Speaking of healers, I've decided on Yumina and Malicia for my two healers, since they've got the important personal staves.

Ugh. And now we've got a knight who refuses to move even when you enter his range, meaning you can't kill him without getting in range of two 20-might ballisticians.

...Meaning that I literally don't have anyone physically capable of surviving all of the enemies on this route to the bridge if they all decide to attack me at once.

...No, that's wrong... Dakota can handle it. And with that armorslayer I got earlier that Linde's holding on to, I won't even need to waste that bishop's physic uses before I can steal it.

...Alright, fasten your asses, people. I'm going in.

Also, while there's still no way to take the northern route to the village without stepping into the snipers' attack ranges and playing a game of “trust me” with the AI, at least this time they got rid of the nasty terrain keeping you from taking the route west from the castle. So I'll be doing that after we kill the boss.

Okay, I just received confirmation that the game still prioritizes maximum individual damage, and not targeting the guy who can most be ganged up on, which is going to be very useful. I think I might have gotten confirmation of that before, but here it is again.

Dakota pulls through, at the cost of a terrible level up. Nothing but HP, skill and luck. Whatever. He's strong enough to get me through this dumb-as-shit obstacle, he's strong enough for me. Still though, since he's obviously going to be getting way more experience than everyone else, I think I'll wait until he hits level 20 to promote, because he easily has the biggest chance in the army of actually hitting 20/20.

OH FUCK YOU, GAME.

MORE THIEVES!?

YOU MAKE THIS MAP A TITANIC SLOG OF ENEMY-PHASE BULLSHIT, AND THEN YOU EXPECT ME TO DO IT QUICKLY!?

...Okay. I managed it. I managed to stop the thief on the last possible turn, but it took another rescue staff use.

Lemme just break down exactly what I had to do to make it happen.

I had to rush Dakota in and have him fight all the cavalry at once while also rushing in every unit I had positioned just barely out of the boss's range. He survived with 6 HP, and I had to have him then fight again, baiting in a dracoknight with a silver axe after using a vulnerary. The plan was to assume he'd go after Dakota and then take advantage of the tiny northern opening this made in the enemy attack ranges to slip Arran in.

This failed because the enemy went for Arran over Dakota, I have to assume because Dakota's superior HP outweighed his slightly inferior defense or something, or maybe it was a weapon triangle thing, I don't know. One of the most annoying things about the weapon-rank-proportional weapon triangle the DS games added is that it never says in-game exactly what the bonuses and penalties are, or how it works, making calculations annoying when it comes up. It was a really bad call, and probably the only real complaint I have about the 3DS era's usability.

But even though the silver axe dracoknight attacked Arran instead of Dakota, I still managed to get Arran close enough to the village to silver-lance the thief when he was just one space shy of entering it, and then rescue him back with Yumina. We have two uses of the thing left and we've only had it for two chapters, but I don't care. I'm pretty sure there's a hammerne staff in that village.

Aaaaaaaand then things went to shit when I tried cleaning up the dracoknights. I got greedy and realized that baiting in the dracoknight with Dakota like I intended would wound him enough to trigger physic healing but not kill him. So I had Marth step on the river to bait him in instead... and the dracoknight decided to attack from deeper into the river... just as the axe dracoknight decided to approach us also from the river. Meaning there's one dracoknight I can only attack at range, and one dracoknight I literally can't attack at all, and a good deal of my units are wounded.

Thankfully, from past experience, I know for a fact that when Yumina uses her rescue staff, she drops units to the east of her, so I'll have my wounded Linde finish off the wounded dracoknight with aura and then have Yumina rescue her after she just barely escapes to safety to the east.

...No, wait, if that's what happened then why is my Arran where he is, only eight tiles away from where Yumina was when she rescued him...?

...It's possible the game actually prioritizes south, then east, or maybe there was someone to Yumina's east and I forgot, so it went south instead. But then that shouldn't make a difference since the south of Yumina is gonna be water, so east should be the only option.

Oh, actually, it doesn't matter at all, because I accidentally counted the range of the dracoknight Linde's about to kill! The one on the river isn't close enough for that level of precision to matter.

Wow. Okay, this was a pretty intense situation. I wish the game put me in these situations more often instead of me stumbling into them by accident once in a blue moon. They're really interesting. But I really hate the how of what got me into this mess.

Dakota finished off the silver axe dracoknight for another terrible level. Nothing but HP and strength. I'm kind of amazed how frequently he gets bad level ups despite him still being my best unit.

Yep, got the Hammerne staff. Thank goodness. I'll have to repair the rescue staff immediately. After that, I'll get the physic staff and seize.

Alright. That's it. I got the physic staff, time to get the hell out of here.

And it's the usual “the battle isn't over, there's still enemies inside the castle” talk I've seen a lot in the Archanea canon. Only difference is some added dialogue from Dakota that doesn't really amount to much besides him just saying the things he's obligated to say merely by being present in the scene.

And... we're done.

Christ I'm sweaty from panic. That was a very stressful chapter. But it's over now, and tomorrow we'll move on to the next one.

Stay safe, everyone.

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

So after watching Jaiden's Pokemon Nuzlocke video yet again, and wishing yet again that any of my ironman hijinks made for a story half as interesting as that, I finally decided yesterday to do my very first Pokemon Nuzlocke, and I started with Pokemon Diamond, which I literally have not touched in something like 11 years. And so begins the tale of Bubblebirb the piplup, Sinistar the starly, and HELLKRAKEN the magikarp.

...Gotta say, while I'm still invested and eager to give it a chance, it's not nearly as fun as I thought it would be, what with all the grinding. Ironmanning Fire Emblem is still very much my bag.

Part of the brilliance of Jaiden's Pokemon Nuzlocke video was in the editing. Watching a full playthough of a Nuzlocke makes it clear how much boring grinding is necessary, but she cut those boring bits down to a few jokes, and concentrated on the best parts of the playthrough.

Anyway, the drill grounds... I'll try them once, but they look like they'll be pretty dang expensive for a single battle's worth of experience. Especially since you can still get killed. Probably a better system than arenas though.

One interesting thing about the drill grounds is that when you level from them the number of stats you gain is partially fixed based on your total growths. If your growth total is 395, they will gain 3 stats, and have a 95% chance of getting a 4th. Some people cheese this system a little by class changing characters to the one with the highest class growths to take advantage of this (I think it was Fighter/Warrior).

Oh and look, Barst is for some reason an enemy here, and I have to assume I can recruit him with Ogma.

And with that you have access to the Axey boy triangle attack, as Cord, Bord, and Barst have a triangle attack with eachother.

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Part of the brilliance of Jaiden's Pokemon Nuzlocke video was in the editing. Watching a full playthough of a Nuzlocke makes it clear how much boring grinding is necessary, but she cut those boring bits down to a few jokes, and concentrated on the best parts of the playthrough.

Yeah, I'm starting to really see that. Like I said, still giving it a shot, but I'm starting to think that the average Fire Emblem ironman is waaaaaaaay more fun (both to watch and play) than a nuzlocke.

One interesting thing about the drill grounds is that when you level from them the number of stats you gain is partially fixed based on your total growths. If your growth total is 395, they will gain 3 stats, and have a 95% chance of getting a 4th. Some people cheese this system a little by class changing characters to the one with the highest class growths to take advantage of this (I think it was Fighter/Warrior).

Ah yes, I think I saw something like that. So some kind of variation of bonus EXP. I guess that means it might occasionally be worth topping off a level with a battle, but it's so comically unsustainable.

And with that you have access to the Axey boy triangle attack, as Cord, Bord, and Barst have a triangle attack with eachother.

Ooh! That I did not know! Man, I wish I had more recruitment slots. I'm really tempted to use all three after hearing this, but that's three whole guys... does it still work no matter what you reclass them to?

12 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Ooh! That I did not know! Man, I wish I had more recruitment slots. I'm really tempted to use all three after hearing this, but that's three whole guys... does it still work no matter what you reclass them to?

I am fairly certain it does, although I have only tested that aspect of it with the Pegasister triangle attack.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

It should. From what I remember, at least.

Making the drills something that:s just set up everywhere, even in the furthest reaches of civilisation at the top of peaks higher than the Alps, is such a ridiculous mistep I can:t help but find it funny. It would have been so easy to just justify it as something your army is doing themselves. It:s even labelled as drills! It already has the right name. It:s not often you find something that would make far more sense if you actually cut away every mention of it but left the thing itself completely intact.

11 hours ago, Jotari said:

Making the drills something that:s just set up everywhere, even in the furthest reaches of civilisation at the top of peaks higher than the Alps, is such a ridiculous mistep I can:t help but find it funny. It would have been so easy to just justify it as something your army is doing themselves. It:s even labelled as drills! It already has the right name. It:s not often you find something that would make far more sense if you actually cut away every mention of it but left the thing itself completely intact.

Yeah, big time. Like I've said before, this game has what things should be explained in-story and what things shouldn't be explained in story almost perfectly ass-backwards. They have Anna randomly show up to educate Dakota on the wonders of spying on your own troops with what we have to assume is witchcraft, and the drill grounds are justified with pure liquid nonsense. The only thing I've even seen them use non-canon narration text boxes for is the the actual tutorial of the prologue, the very stuff that Katarina should have been telling Dakota to establish herself as an actual tactician.

New Mystery Day 13: Chapter 6

Alright, another day, another chapter of this game I don't like for reasons I still don't fully understand.

Thankfully I remember this chapter not being much of a pain. Hard, but not annoying.

As for the danger of there being a repeat of yesterday's mad thief panic... I have to assume since no game in the series has programmed enemies to move while they're not in view, then as long as we keep those doors closed thieves won't steal shit from the inner buildings and we don't have to panic about that.

Actually, the fact that we're even going inside makes me realize we never did that for Grust in FE1, FE3B1, or Shadow Dragon. Hell, amusingly enough, despite them actually adding an extra bonus chapter right after Camus the Sable, we don't actually go inside of the castle we just seized, we go to some random volcanic place. And, like, I get that with Camus gone Grust really doesn't have many defenses left, but I don't remember the game even talking about that. It was like we just killed Camus and left. Which feels really weird considering how significant capturing Grust is story-wise.

Of course, I have to assume this isn't the same castle. The surroundings are totally different, is the main reason why I say that.

Julian got a “how's everyone” def boost, which is probably going to be handy given that this is a chapter where I'm likely gonna want to bring him.

We get a support with Palla and Dakota, where Dakota's being an absolutely psychotic workaholic and Palla comes in to keep him from literally killing himself through overexertion.

This would actually be pretty cute if this workaholic behavior were more understandable and attached to a character more interesting than a plastic cup.

Moving on...

I wonder if this is a Japanese thing, but Linde speaks about her father in the present tense in her conversation with Dakota, until he asks where he could go to meet him. It feels like that was deliberately and awkwardly done to make Dakota make that mistake. Which is weird, because, like... there's no awkwardness or other consequences from it. He doesn't even apologize, he just gives his condolences, so I don't get what that was for.

I hate how I've only unlocked, like, one support that doesn't involve Dakota.

Anyway, on to the final Dakota “support”, with Malicia.

Okay, I'll admit, while this support chain is completely ridiculous, the “pastry” stuff did make me laugh.

It's finally occurred to me how much more human and normal Caeda's New Mystery portrait looks compared to her “porcelain doll” look in Shadow Dragon. I only remembered what she used to look like when I saw them use Caeda's new portrait in a flashback to Shadow Dragon instead of her old one, which was kinda jarring given how I remember the scene.

Man, I just do not have the deployment slots to field everyone I want to. Shadow Dragon has thoroughly spoiled me. Looks like I'm not bringing any of the axeboi trio with me today.

My first objective is to kill all of these armor knights immediately and get myself into a good position to take out the reinforcements I know are coming from the entrance... inexplicably. This shouldn't be a problem, because I've got an armorslayer that two guys can use, a rapier, a wing spear, and a magic user. We should be fine.

Alright, I've got my thief, I've got Caeda, I've got my cavs and healers and Palla and Catria... and I've got Dakota. I'm good to go.

Caeda gets an amazing first level up: HP, strength, speed, luck, defense and resistance. Wow.

Oh wow! I was wondering why they added in that weird bit of dramatic irony where Marth and Jagen wonder whether the incoming soldiers they're hearing are “allies or enemies”, especially after Lang informs the player (and veterans would know) that enemies are coming. Like... why would Marth think there would be allies coming? Altea's been routed, and they know of no other allies they have!

...But then it turns out there are allies coming, because this is where the game decides to bring in Frey and Norne.

Frey's got pretty good stats! Man I wish I had more unit slots, there are so many guys I want to use!

Norne is Norne. The hell do you think is gonna happen to her?

Alright, so, the reinforcements are here, and they're coming every turn, but not always in the same quantity. A knight and archer showed up on the first turn who aren't showing up on the second.

Dakota gains another terrible level up, gaining just HP and skill. Holy shit, what the fuck is going on here!?

Okay, on the bright side, looks like the reinforcements have finally stopped.

...I just got a terrible sinking feeling.

Those of you who have been with us for a while will remember...

...this chapter was what I considered to be the peak of FE3's gameplay and difficulty, with only the endgame being possible competition.

The midgame of FE3 Book 2 is a comically pathetic slog.

Which means that depending on what they did or didn't change from here on out... it's possible that I'm going to start having even less fun.

Ugh. Yet again the enemies are refusing to move when baited in. On the other hand, this makes them harder to cheese, but given the terrain being so unfriendly to player-phase action, this means I have to send in Dakota again, which isn't exactly “peak strategy”.

Yep. There was no way anyone but Dakota would have survived that enemy phase. Especially with that elfire bishop. And now the whole group's charging, so now I can player-phase this shit after I retreat a bit.

Now I've basically gotta set up a conga line of one-rounds in order to get everyone out of here alive, because the bishops decided to heal instead of attack this turn even though they chose to attack instead of heal last time. I've gotta make sure that I pierce deep enough into this hallway of knights that at least one of those bishops is dead by the end of this turn. Thank goodness for Luke's armorslayer, Linde's aura, and Caeda's wing spear.

Awesome, everything worked out fine. That was pretty intense though.

Oh, and I almost forgot about the chests! I'll have Julian grab those while I recruit “Navarre” and kill Lang.

Oh wow, they actually let Dakota talk in a unique boss conversation! Nice!

HP. AND SKILL. AGAIN.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY AVATAR!?

And now Dakota went and got cancer. Great.

...In all seriousness though, yeah, Cancer's a +2 to defense, and given the number of times I've had to tank nonsense with Dakota? Yeah, no shit it's going on him, especially since he refuses to level defense. He has a 40% growth, he's level 18, and he's gained it four times.

Honestly, I think my decision to give him a 100% HP growth was very, very, very wise at this point, because going by my luck now, if I gave his HP growth any margin for error, he probably wouldn't be able to tank stuff at all.

And now that we've got Samto the Navarre impostor, we've got Aquarius, which boosts your magic and res by 1. Obviously that's going on Linde.

We also found Libra, which is just... +2 to luck. Yawn. Well we need it to get the good ending, so I'm glad I remembered the chests.

We also get a barrier staff and...

10,000 gold! Awesome, we were just about out! This game's a lot stingier on the gold front, which is surprising given I haven't made any of those infamous FE11 forges.

Alright, and we're done here.

And then Wendell shows up to tell us about the star shards, something I'm amazed wasn't explained further in FE11 given that it was made after the shattering was written as a plot point in FE3. FE11 gives no explanation for why making Starlight renders the Starsphere unusable (or why you lose the Lightsphere too).

And then Marth marvels at the fact that none of our soldiers are dead yet thanks to my hard work. You're welcome, Marth.

...Oh shit. I totally forgot about the gaiden chapters. Thankfully recruiting Rickard and keeping him alive was all it took to not need a time limit.

...But I seem to remember this being... uh...

...Oh right.

This is the chapter that made me ragequit in college and never play it again.

Well then...

...Tune in tomorrow as I try to piece together my memories of why!

Stay safe, everyone!