Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

16 hours ago, Axie said:

i like priestess better than onmyoji for sakura?

12 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

So do I. I credit Inuyasha for this, as one main character is a priestess (or rather, Miko) who uses a bow.

y tho? Sakura as Onmyoji is like, the most complete conventional mage in Fates barring a proper Ophelia?

And it´s not like you don´t already have a bunch of Bow users - Takumi & Reina as prime examples. Setsuna (yay no STR) and Shura (though late) too I guess? 

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Revelation Day 14: Chapter 19

Yep, Fuga just showed up. I didn't need to beat a new chapter, I just had to come back to the castle in some way. He's a level 10 master of arms, and... wow, actually, for this point in the game he's really good. Pity there's still like 10 chapters left to go and his growth rates are garbo. But fuck it, I'll see if I can use him.

WHAT'S THIS!?

FUGA ACTUALLY HAS A SUPPORT WITH HIS SON!?

Well, let's see if I can get it!

Alright, anyway, I'll be giving fox tails out again today, because fuck it, everyone could use more fox tails!

Except Maof06, he wanted an arena shield today. Alright, there you go!

I get yet another friendship baby from Ishtar. Wow.

Anyway, I just promoted Elise. And man, she isn't nearly as speedy as I remember. Apparently she's only about 2 points behind what she's supposed to have, but she only has sixteen speed. I mean she did promote 6 levels early, but still. Well, she'll be doing chip damage anyway, and at least her magic's pretty good. I'll be class-changing her to wyvern lord the second I get the level 3 shops open and can buy a second arms scroll to get her to C axes. At this point there's no way in hell she's managing even chip damage with a physical weapon. Though apparently she can manage on Conquest early game long enough to get to C rank axes, which I'm gonna be eager to try out.

Man, it's so weird deciding what I should and shouldn't talk about. I guess that's the pitfall of doing the most boring version of a three-parter first. So much stuff feels like it should be left to discuss in...

...Okay, I was about to say “a game that's actually good”, but the thing is that this marathon has givne me a lot of perspective about how bad a Fire Emblem game can be, and really, this doesn't even come close to the worst. In, like, any category. And if I call this a “bad game”... I mean I'd have to just outright declare that my “favorite game series” is more than 50% bad.

I think this is gonna score a lot higher than I would've expected when starting this list, and... I think I'm almost okay with that. I'm actually not that annoyed about playing this game. It's definitely got its bad spots, but overall, there are plenty of FEs that are much worse. It's not bad, just disappointing. It could have been so much better than it actually turned out to be, and that's what made me hate it so much when it came out. It set high standards for itself that it totally failed to live up to. Honestly, I would be very surprised if this game even ends up being considered below-average on my ranking system.

...Uh... why are the peaches upside-down on their food icon? Is that a Japanese thing, or is it an ass joke?

Right, on to Chapter 19. I've already spent my first hour, and I have shit to do today, so I gotta get this finished in the next three.

Azura says that “Valla was once a mighty, peaceful kingdom” that was “quite friendly with the other kingdoms of the world”.

Oh, this is gonna be good.

So I have to assume when they say it was “quite friendly with the other kingdoms of the world”, they mean the royalty. Because otherwise, like, how can they not have ben common knowledge if all of this bad shit happened just in Azura's lifetime?

Ah yes, and Xander and Leo comment that the statue they see in front of them is identical to the one on the Nohrian throne room's ceiling, “the one that Father worships”.

But then, why would Father worship him, rather than the Dusk Dragon?”

HOW IS THIS A QUESTION YOU ARE ONLY ASKING NOW, XANDER!?

Anyway, Azura says something fairly interesting, that Anankos was using these invisible soldiers in an effort to trick the unnamed continent's two superpowers into going to war with, and destroying, each other, so that he could take over the whole continent with little resistance. That would be a pretty cool way to do this...

...if neither side of the conflict were clearly in the wrong.

But due to Anankos having already taken over Nohr's government completely, this makes no fucking sense. This isn't necessary. He already has all the power he needs to have Hoshido and Nohr destroy each other without any kind of subterfuge and frame-ups. And it doesn't even serve the seemingly-intended purpose of uniquely absolving Nohr of guilt for starting the war in any way that wasn't already established in Conquest. Also... why was he able to take over Garon but not Sumeragi?

And then we run into literally the only Vallite civilian we ever see in Revelation: Anthony (which calls into question what the fuck Vallite naming conventions are even like), who... well, you'll see.

This chapter further exacerbates the constant feeling of not being able to use all the units I want to use. The deployment list is tiny, though not as tiny as when this map showed up in Conquest. It's basically an escape chapter with an optional kill boss objective, and there's a dragon vein that lets you clone your army to fight on another floating island on the bottom of the map. Essentially a free use of the extremely fun replicate skill that the mechanist class gets at level 15.

I'm giving Fuga a full set of the “triangle slayer” weapons, the axe splitter, the swordcatcher, and... the pike-ruin club. Yeah, way to have a completely inconsistent naming scheme. Anyway, if you use these against the weapon type they have WTA against (ignoring the ranged half of the triangle), they have slayer effectiveness too. So it's a good set of weapons for me to give to a master of arms, who can use all three.

I'm not bringing Azura because she's not actually all that useful on this map. Replicas can't sing, so she'd be nearly useless on the bottom half. I'm bringing Dakota, Kagero, Fuga, Hayato (reclassed to oni savage), Keaton, Effie, Mozu and Keaton. No healers this map, but I can afford to do that due to the abundance of healing items I've got around. I simply can't afford to bring healers, I need to bring as many strong units as I can, since I can only bring 8 units.

...On second thought, I've decided I can't afford to bring Fuga here. I need to bring Xander, because 1-2 range is important here. I'll try to start getting Fuga's supports with Hayato tomorrow.

Alright, this is actually surprisingly interesting. The gimmick actually increases the amount of strategy involved, even if that's probably just because it's a gimmick taken straight from Conquest. The thing is that replicas actually share almost everything with the originals. Things like carried weapons, equipped weapons, stat boosts, current HP... and KO state. If the replica dies, so does the original, and vice versa. With the duplicates and originals split up between two different battlefronts, you have to be very careful about what you do with your replicas. Especially since it's difficult to one-round and some enemies have seal skills.

Yeah, I think I actually like this map! Especially compared to the previous ones. There's a time limit pushing you forward, but you have to fight your way through waves of reinforcements if you want all the treasure the southern island has to offer.

I wound up getting cornered to the north. I didn't think about my exit strategy if all of the enemies in that group started charging at once, which, to my shock, they did. Looks like the game's picking up! But yeah, I had to cobble together something resembling a retreat even though I couldn't get everyone cleanly out of the way, and now I'm fighting a battle on two fronts with two armies who share HP.

...Aaaaand I did something really, really stupid.

Really, really, really stupid.

So stupid that even though this game's inconsistent and structureless use of skills clearly played a role in me getting this careless, I'm still blaming myself for this.

I wanted to take some pressure off of my other units who had to fight off more enemies than I would like. So, I figured, I'd have Dakota bait in a sniper in the hopes that the chance to attack a flier with a bow would be too juicy to resist.

...And I confirmed I'd survive...

...using the combat window.

...Anyone who's played Fates before probably knows where this is going.

And yes, if you guessed that I totally forgot to check if this sniper had quick draw...

...you would be right.

And yes, this made the difference between surviving and being one-shot.

Dakota is down.

The ironman is over, with the first death being the lord.

Honestly, I deserve this. He nearly died due to similar carelessness with an archer in Chapter 14, but this time there was no dual guard to save him.

...Christ this is embarrassing.

Uh, yeah, guys, I uh...

...I think I'm taking the rest of the day off.

Stay safe, everyone.

...Stay safer than Dakota.

3 hours ago, Imuabicus said:

y tho? Sakura as Onmyoji is like, the most complete conventional mage in Fates barring a proper Ophelia?

And it´s not like you don´t already have a bunch of Bow users - Takumi & Reina as prime examples. Setsuna (yay no everything except speed) and Shura (though late) too I guess? 

Fates in general is a low point for tomes, between the low quality of most mages and the fact that tomes themselves are not even half as good as in Awakening. Doesn't help matters that Renewal is just better than Rally Magic.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

And yes, if you guessed that I totally forgot to check if this sniper had quick draw...

...you would be right.

Dakota is down.

Oof. That sucks. I don't blame you for being a little frustrated over that one. I will say, though, that this is indicative of probably my biggest overall problem with the gameplay of Fates, namely that it's just too busy. What with skills, all different weapon bonuses and penalties, weapon triangle, dual attack and dual guard, there's a whole lot going on, and that inevitably leads to either a whole lot of manual calculations or to losing units to carelessness and oversight. I think the UI is generally very good and conveys the information about as well as it can, but with so much to get across it feels almost inevitable that some of the calculation busywork is going to be left to the player.

Still rotten luck that the first unit to succumb to this carelessness was your lord, though.

3 hours ago, lenticular said:

Oof. That sucks. I don't blame you for being a little frustrated over that one. I will say, though, that this is indicative of probably my biggest overall problem with the gameplay of Fates, namely that it's just too busy. What with skills, all different weapon bonuses and penalties, weapon triangle, dual attack and dual guard, there's a whole lot going on, and that inevitably leads to either a whole lot of manual calculations or to losing units to carelessness and oversight. I think the UI is generally very good and conveys the information about as well as it can, but with so much to get across it feels almost inevitable that some of the calculation busywork is going to be left to the player.

Still rotten luck that the first unit to succumb to this carelessness was your lord, though.

I can see where this criticism is coming from. For me though, it's more that skills are an all-or-nothing thing. If the enemies have skills, the enemies should have skills. They should be such a constant part of gameplay that the idea of doing anything without checking the skills of the units involved should be unthinkable. It just shouldn't ever cross your mind that the skills don't matter. Otherwise, if they're only occasionally even remotely relevant, that inevitably invites carelessness. Noticing that the enemy has skills should never be the challenge, it should be the setup.

That said, I was being stupid and careless for a while before this, more careless than I ever remember being during my original ironman runs. Relying on combat windows to check damage, assuming that nobody but Felicia will ever get one-shot by a single attack, eyeballing damage values and never really doing math... I was inviting something like this to happen eventually. This game weirdly made me tune out as much as Path of Radiance did, despite being significantly harder at this stage.

Honestly though, yeah, I really wish anyone but Dakota had been the first casualty. I think I've learned a lesson not to make my lord a flier anymore. That's just asking for trouble.

HOLY FUCK I MISSED ALOT

Uh, well I finally caught up! I'll prolly participate in the My Castle things since I've never done any of that (no irl friends into FE and I didn't really have access to internet friends when Fates came out originally). My MC will prolly be easy to spot since she'll prolly say an FE4 reference or something. Mind if ya give me one of the non-Robin amiibo accessories? I don't have Marth, Ike, or Lucina.

On 1/27/2021 at 1:57 PM, Alastor15243 said:

Yep, everyone's getting an item shield today, except for Maof06 who wants a chef's hat. Can do, buddy! And tomorrow an arena shield. Have fun with Birthright!

Thanks. I am having fun it rn, although I am annoyed by the constant reinforcements on rout maps. The fact that I got some skills from other castles helps a lot, but now I'm poor and afraid I'm breaking the game doing this.

5 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Except Maof06, he wanted an arena shield today. Alright, there you go!

=P. Now anything that increases my damage in castle battles works.

Dakota is down.

Stay safe, everyone.

Oof. How will this affect the accessories?

41 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Relying on combat windows to check damage, assuming that nobody but Felicia will ever get one-shot by a single attack, eyeballing damage values and never really doing math... I was inviting something like this to happen eventually.

I've been doing this until now. I'm not even checking enemy stats, lmao. Will I get screwed if I continue like this?

2 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

HOLY FUCK I MISSED ALOT

Uh, well I finally caught up! I'll prolly participate in the My Castle things since I've never done any of that (no irl friends into FE and I didn't really have access to internet friends when Fates came out originally). My MC will prolly be easy to spot since she'll prolly say an FE4 reference or something. Mind if ya give me one of the non-Robin amiibo accessories? I don't have Marth, Ike, or Lucina.

Unfortunately I don't think I can trade those. Yeah, it's shitty.

1 minute ago, Maof06 said:

I've been doing this until now. I'm not even checking enemy stats, lmao. Will I get screwed if I continue like this?

Probably in Birthright. Definitely in Conquest.

2 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

=P. Now anything that increases my damage in castle battles works.

Noted.

Just now, Alastor15243 said:

Unfortunately I don't think I can trade those. Yeah, it's shitty.

Aw man. Welp. Time to wait and see if my local Gamestop has Ike, Lucina, or Marth amiibos. I already know my local Best Buy doesn't

1 minute ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Aw man. Welp. Time to wait and see if my local Gamestop has Ike, Lucina, or Marth amiibos. I already know my local Best Buy doesn't

There's always an alternative...

4 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Probably in Birthright. Definitely in Conquest.

So I guess taking on Conquest lunatic after Birthright wouldn't be the brightest idea.

4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Anyway, I just promoted Elise. And man, she isn't nearly as speedy as I remember. Apparently she's only about 2 points behind what she's supposed to have, but she only has sixteen speed. I mean she did promote 6 levels early, but still. Well, she'll be doing chip damage anyway, and at least her magic's pretty good. I'll be class-changing her to wyvern lord the second I get the level 3 shops open and can buy a second arms scroll to get her to C axes. At this point there's no way in hell she's managing even chip damage with a physical weapon. Though apparently she can manage on Conquest early game long enough to get to C rank axes, which I'm gonna be eager to try out.

I had to go the Wyvern Rider/Maligknight route in my PMU, and I really had to baby her for a while. She could still do a little damage in her join chapter with E rank Axes, and she didn't hit C rank axes until just a little before her promotion at level 20 anyway...

Alright, this is actually surprisingly interesting. The gimmick actually increases the amount of strategy involved, even if that's probably just because it's a gimmick taken straight from Conquest. The thing is that replicas actually share almost everything with the originals. Things like carried weapons, equipped weapons, stat boosts, current HP... and KO state. If the replica dies, so does the original, and vice versa. With the duplicates and originals split up between two different battlefronts, you have to be very careful about what you do with your replicas. Especially since it's difficult to one-round and some enemies have seal skills.

I rather liked them bringing this gimmick back as well. The limited deployment in Conquest kept you from fully apreciating this maps gimmick, and being able to fully explore the idea here was nice.

Although the Witch's Warp skill breaks this chapter in half, as you can use pairup and Warp to move people between the two battlefronts...

Dakota is down.

Honestly, I deserve this. He nearly died due to similar carelessness with an archer in Chapter 14, but this time there was no dual guard to save him.

Oof, complacency really is the ironman killer, and losing the lord first is rotten luck...

15 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Conquest will teach you to watch skills on chapter 7, the wolfskin chapter is the first where skills matter in Birthright, so be prepared to start checking for that...

6 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...Aaaaand I did something really, really stupid.

Really, really, really stupid.

So stupid that even though this game's inconsistent and structureless use of skills clearly played a role in me getting this careless, I'm still blaming myself for this.

I wanted to take some pressure off of my other units who had to fight off more enemies than I would like. So, I figured, I'd have Dakota bait in a sniper in the hopes that the chance to attack a flier with a bow would be too juicy to resist.

...And I confirmed I'd survive...

...using the combat window.

...Anyone who's played Fates before probably knows where this is going.

...you would be right.

Dakota is down.

Uh, yeah, guys, I uh...

...I think I'm taking the rest of the day off.

Stay safe, everyone.

29 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

Definitely.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

Honestly though, yeah, I really wish anyone but Dakota had been the first casualty. I think I've learned a lesson not to make my lord a flier anymore. That's just asking for trouble.

So what are your plans for Corrin in Birthright and Conquest then? And for Byleth, when you get to 3H?

21 minutes ago, Maof06 said:

So I guess taking on Conquest lunatic after Birthright wouldn't be the brightest idea.

I found Birthright an excellent warmup for Conquest when I first did the three-game ironman, though I did the games on hard then.

1 minute ago, Shadow Mir said:

So what are your plans for Corrin in Birthright and Conquest then? And for Byleth, when you get to 3H?

Honestly, not sure. I know my original build with Corrin involved procstacking a lot, though going through those classes probably isn't going to be as easy on lunatic. But doing a damagestacking build would involve going through malig knight too, but by then I'd almost assuredly be whipped into shape and careful, so maybe I can try in Conquest...

17 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I had to go the Wyvern Rider/Maligknight route in my PMU, and I really had to baby her for a while. She could still do a little damage in her join chapter with E rank Axes, and she didn't hit C rank axes until just a little before her promotion at level 20 anyway...

Wow, that's a lot harder than I heard. How frequently were you using her?

9 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Wow, that's a lot harder than I heard. How frequently were you using her?

The number of times I described Elise being danced, and using her Attack Stance partners to finish off multiple enemy a turn in that join chapter is kinda ridiculous, and I managed to bring her from that base level of 7, all the way to 16 by the end of that first map...so maybe I was just gaining levels at a bit too accelerated rate (the high levels of enemies compared to her starting level in Revelation certainly speed up the XP gains as well...).

2 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

The number of times I described Elise being danced, and using her Attack Stance partners to finish off multiple enemy a turn in that join chapter is kinda ridiculous, and I managed to bring her from that base level of 7, all the way to 16 by the end of that first map...so maybe I was just gaining levels at a bit too accelerated rate (the high levels of enemies compared to her starting level in Revelation certainly speed up the XP gains as well...).

Oh, so it's not that it took forever to get her to C axes, it's that it didn't take very long to get her to level 20?

Anthony

To be fair, Anthony originates from Antonius, which as a name is pre-Roman in origin if not Greek.

Wait, why the fuck am I, the guy who hates the fuck out of Anankos defending this?

'm giving Fuga a full set of the “triangle slayer” weapons, the axe splitter, the swordcatcher, and... the pike-ruin club

Man, Pikecrusher was right there huh?

Yeah, I think I actually like this map! Especially compared to the previous ones. There's a time limit pushing you forward, but you have to fight your way through waves of reinforcements if you want all the treasure the southern island has to offer.

I mean, it's a great map in both routes, probably one of my favourites in Fates.

Not as embarrassing as me getting two units unit killed to Iago in BR16.

(I am just bad at the strategies Fates's pairup has you use by the looks of it, look forward to me dying to Conquest IRL)

1 minute ago, Alastor15243 said:

Oh, so it's not that it took forever to get her to C axes, it's that it didn't take very long to get her to level 20?

She hit level 20 partway into the third chapter she was in (and one of those was a child paralogue, so I had her promoted before starting the 16-17 two parter) , although she needed attack stance to do much before she got access to magic damage (...part way into level 19...). To be fair, only using units decided by the PMU (and the parents of units decided by the PMU) does limit the number of troops you have (especially before 16-17, which lock out 1/4 of the cast...)

31 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I found Birthright an excellent warmup for Conquest when I first did the three-game ironman, though I did the games on hard then.

I tried jumping from Birthright hard to Conquest lunatic, but eventually decided that it was a step too far and dropped back down to hard. It definitely felt like I really didn't know the game well enough to get through it in any sort of reasonable time frame. That said, at least Fates does give you the ability to lower difficulty setting part way through the game, which is a point in its favour. It really shouldn't be noteworthy, given that it's such a basic video game feature, but given that most Fire Emblems somehow can't manage this, I have to give Fates its due on this one.Just a shame it only allows you to lower the difficulty, not raise it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this in my original reply, but for a non-fe game to play.... how about America's Next Top Model for the Wii? I've seen an LP for that game (courtesy of Lucahjin and ProtonJon), and let me tell you, you can aggressively tell that the developers knew they were making shitty shovelware and decided to just go fucking crazy when it came to the dialogue.

3 minutes ago, Espurrhoodie said:

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this in my original reply, but for a non-fe game to play.... how about America's Next Top Model for the Wii? I've seen an LP for that game (courtesy of Lucahjin and ProtonJon), and let me tell you, you can aggressively tell that the developers knew they were making shitty shovelware and decided to just go fucking crazy when it came to the dialogue.

Noted!

5 hours ago, Dayni said:

Man, Pikecrusher was right there huh?

"It's a Pike-Ruiner. It ruins people's pikes."

12 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Yes, thank you! It's risk versus reward, in its purest form. And you have to think about which units are in range - usually, I don't want to have the same unit take a hit on both sides of the map. That said, I do like having a healer for this one (if I'm not mistaken, healing one instance of a unit heals both of 'em?). I like this version better than Conquest's, too, since you actually have choice in whom you can bring.

12 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

That's rough, buddy. The last time I played Conquest, I made an even dumber mistake. I tried to feed Kana an Archer, even though I was able to finish the map that turn. Extra EXP, why not? Of course, the combat forecast didn't tell me the Archer had Counter. Which killed my daughter. The greatest irony, of course, is that Kana would have lived even a counter-attack, had she attacked at 2-range. So... I feel your pain.

13 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

And then we run into literally the only Vallite civilian we ever see in Revelation: Anthony (which calls into question what the fuck Vallite naming conventions are even like), who... well, you'll see.

As note Anthony as a name has a Grecro Roman origin, which actually fits in nicely enough with two of the other Vallite characters we have named, Arete, a greet notion of perfection, and Anankos, which according is a Greek word meaning "Divine Will", "Fate" and "Inflicting Pain". Which is actually a fantastic name for the character. Course that's a localisation change. His original name is Basilisk, which might sound better to a Japanese audience, but sounds pretty passe to me. I'm glad they changed it (though Basilisk does have king connotations to it as a name too so it's not the most unsuitable name). Course then we have Azura which is a Spanish name and, as I mentioned before, bloody Mikoto who throws the entire naming convention out the window in a very disappointing way. So yeah, I don't think there's any particularly meaning to Anthony's name, it's just a plain ordinary western name that happens to be tangentially close to more considered Arete and Anankos/Basalisk.

Oh there's also Lilith for Valla names, which has middle eastern origins too.

aw, so sad about the ironman. the worst thing is, i can't imagine how the combat window in player phase (which is where you can see this stuff) CAN factor in stuff such as quick draw without things becoming too cluttered. oh well.

also this map is better in revelation than in conquest, perhaps the only such occurrence. please don't force me to use gunter.

18 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Fates in general is a low point for tomes, between the low quality of most mages and the fact that tomes themselves are not even half as good as in Awakening. Doesn't help matters that Renewal is just better than Rally Magic.

Correct me if I´m wrong but isn´t magic in FE:A broken? What´s (broken/2)?

And Renewal > Rally Mag... I mean does Sakura, in her function as a healer with 2 range really need it that much? Rally mag would give w/e mage you have MOAR DAKKA.

19 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

ah Quick Draw, the most dangerous skill in the game

12 hours ago, lenticular said:

I tried jumping from Birthright hard to Conquest lunatic, but eventually decided that it was a step too far and dropped back down to hard.

Interesting, what made you do so and at which chapter, if you don´t mind sharing? What with the CQ Lunatic/Hard stats being the same.

41 minutes ago, Imuabicus said:

Correct me if I´m wrong but isn´t magic in FE:A broken? What´s (broken/2)?

Weapon Weight's removed and it's easy to get 100 accuracy with Nosferatu, in addition Nosferatu is infinite.

Basically with Nosferatu, outside of maybe the final boss, it's almost impossible to die as you will heal up after every attack.