Alastor plays and ranks the whole series! Mission Complete! ...For now.

Alastor15243

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

@ping Hey just wondering, what was the reasoning behind which games were highlighted in yellow on your nifty spreadsheet?

Oh, just readability, make it easier to recognize what final score belongs to which game. I personally find that a bit difficult (or rather inconvenient), especially when there's fairly large gaps between the numbers in each line.

And midway through I thought, "oh, let's broadly group up the games by their 'generation'", but only registered that only Book 1 is highlighted after I already made the screenshot and closed Excel, and didn't deem it important enough to open it again. :lol:

It's not particularly nifty, btw, just copied the numbers (which took about 98% of the time investment) and did a SUM() at the end.

You know, I just remembered this but I think I've heard that the Japanese version of Takumi was definitely a lot angrier about what Nohr/Corrin if you choose Conquest did to both of his parents. I think I recall that in the Japanese version he mentioned Nohr killing Sumeragi as one of his reasons for distrust while in the English version, it was mysteriously cut out. Basically, the "stupid Nohrian jerks!" is localization making him look more childish than he was.

11 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...And... this went... really badly... really quickly.

For one thing, I forgot that apparently on Lunatic, Xander will ignore Ryoma and go straight after your more vulnerable units. That, combined with one miscalculation and a really unfortunate miss, meant that Leo, clinging to life with 2 HP, just blasted Dakota to pieces even with her dragonstone.

Which means I've lost the ironman again.

BEFORE EVEN GETTING TO MY CASTLE.

Yowch. This sounds like what I'd expect out of Mangs' runs.

12 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...Yep, just as expected, they took out Jakob, but Jakob managed to get in a heal with his last action.

...It's tempting to blame the lack of sleep for this shit, but no, I misjudged enemy behavior, got too cocky with having Jakob around, and paid the price.

Oof, that is an unfortunate error to make. At least it was with one of Conquest units, as losing one of the Birthright units would make chapter 5 significantly more difficult...

...For the second time in this marathon I've heard the “you're boned” music when there was literally no risk of death. Not sure what the fuck was going on there.

I don't think they take guard stance into account for those, so blocking a killing attack stance hit, or a blocking a hit with the guard gauge can trigger that music...

For one thing, I forgot that apparently on Lunatic, Xander will ignore Ryoma and go straight after your more vulnerable enemies. That combined with one miscalculation and a really unfortunate miss meant that Leo, clinging to life with 2 HP, just blasted Dakota to pieces even with her dragonstone.

BEFORE EVEN GETTING TO MY CASTLE.

Oh wow. I am fairly certain Ryoma's AI in Conquest Lunatic does not work that way, as he will target Xander over anyone in range, which might have been your source of confusion there...

The purist in me wants to do the whole thing over tomorrow, prologue chapters and all, but I may just say “fuck it” since the game casually lets you skip those starting chapters anyway. I'm actually interested in having to deal with this particular speed-screwed Dakota after all.

But I'm open to listening to what people have to say and what people want to see.

My advice is to start a new game with the Branch of Fate that you will ironman. That way you can fulfill both feeling at the same time...

16 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I don't think they take guard stance into account for those, so blocking a killing attack stance hit, or a blocking a hit with the guard gauge can trigger that music...

Oh I know about that little quirk, but that's the crazy part: it wasn't that! it was the guard stance samurai, he was doubling Dakota, but he would've needed to do like 2 more damage per hit in order to kill her!

17 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Oh wow. I am fairly certain Ryoma's AI in Conquest Lunatic does not work that way, as he will target Xander over anyone in range, which might have been your source of confusion there...

I didn't know that actually! I never dared give him the chance to attack anyone else. Are you serious? He'll ignore anyone else in 6-CQ as long as Xander is alive?

3 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

Oh I know about that little quirk, but that's the crazy part: it wasn't that! it was the guard stance samurai, he was doubling Dakota, but he would've needed to do like 2 more damage per hit in order to kill her!

In that case I am guessing that it didn't notice the defense Gunter was giving Dakota in the pair-up...perhaps?

9 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

I didn't know that actually! I never dared give him the chance to attack anyone else. Are you serious? He'll ignore anyone else in 6-CQ as long as Xander is alive?

If Xander is out of range he will target units that are in his range, but as long as he has the option to attack Xander, he will even over units as squishy as Elise...

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

If Xander is out of range he will target units that are in his range, but as long as he has the option to attack Xander, he will even over units as squishy as Elise...

Duly noted! Alright, time to get a good night's sleep and put this utter shitshow of a non-starter first day behind me.

13 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Okay, so, full disclosure: when I first played this when it first came out... I mistook Ryoma for a green unit and didn't realize you could control him.

...And... this went... really badly... really quickly.

For one thing, I forgot that apparently on Lunatic, Xander will ignore Ryoma and go straight after your more vulnerable units. That, combined with one miscalculation and a really unfortunate miss, meant that Leo, clinging to life with 2 HP, just blasted Dakota to pieces even with her dragonstone.

I'm not sure what just happened there. You say when Fates first came out you mistook Ryoma for a green unit. So did you just make that exact same mistake again now, or did you remember you could control Ryoma but it still went really badly anyway and those two lines weren't connected?

In either case I'd rather see speed screwed Dakota than repeating the entire playthrough. Course I was always of the opinion that Branch of Fate should be used in the first place.

1 minute ago, Jotari said:

I'm not sure what just happened there. You say when Fates first came out you mistook Ryoma for a green unit. So did you just make that exact same mistake again now, or did you remember you could control Ryoma but it still went really badly anyway and those two lines weren't connected?

Sorry for the vague phrasing. The ellipses were intended to split up the two thoughts. They aren't connected, that was just my last remark before shit hit the fan.

Well, one thing I can take from this is that one thing I always feared about chapter 6 in Birthright has been confirmed. Because I always feared Xander wouldn't hesitate to attack anyone aside from Ryoma if he had the opportunity. And that would suck massively.

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Well, one thing I can take from this is that one thing I always feared about chapter 6 in Birthright has been confirmed. Because I always feared Xander wouldn't hesitate to attack anyone aside from Ryoma if he had the opportunity. And that would suck massively.

Xander will prioritize being healed if he takes too much damage. Just attack him with Ryoma and leave no one else at his range.

Birthright Day 2: Chapter 6, Take 2

Right.

So.

I still feel a little tired despite a good night's sleep, but no doubt I'm in much better condition to do this than I was yesterday.

I just set up Branch of Fate. Sure enough, all of Dakota's settings were pre-saved, and presumably her stats should be the same as well. But we'll see.

Selecting Birthright again...

...Skipping the scenes we already saw...

...Alright.

Now.

Let's try this again.

So, for whatever the reason yesterday, I didn't even bother checking how much damage Ryoma did to Xander, or if he even had a crit rate. Ryoma has a crit rate of 1%. I assumed it would be higher, but I was a fool, since he's not paired up and Xander has crazy luck and a +10 crit evade sword.

My initial plan when thinking about it yesterday was that I was likely to stage a hasty retreat in order to get some free damage in from a counter-attack on the closest enemies before going on the offensive when Xander was too far away to punish anyone. No dice, and I love the reason why.

This is a really nasty starting position, and one thing I absolutely love about Birthright is that it's absolutely full of these. Chapters with enemy formations where your first move, hell, even your initial deployment positions, are absolutely critical. Why? Because there are a bunch of enemies you need to take out with haste or else you will be absolutely swarmed by enemies on your first turn.

It's become fairly obvious that I absolutely have to take out these four enemies on the bridge and on our side of the map. The thing I tried and failed to do yesterday. But with the extraordinary powers of sleep and hindsight, I've realized that since killing Xander in one round is basically impossible without a miracle, having Ryoma fight him is a colossal waste of time. Instead, I've gotta have Ryoma chip in with the enemies on the bridge. Specifically, Leo. I have him get into the space where he's bordering Leo and the cavalier, and he attacks Leo from there so that Takumi gets the dual strike bonuses to attack the cav with when he stands where Leo once stood. Xander can obviously attack both of them, but he can't kill either.

I then pair Dakota up with Jakob, and she attacks the fighter with the Yato, doing exactly enough damage to bring him down to half-health, allowing me to set up a dual strike with Hinoka to take out the outlaw, and then Azura sings for Dakota to finish off the fighter. And with that, voila, they're all down, all without anyone setting foot in Camilla's range. Which allows me to then have Kaze join up with Rinkah, and have Rinkah go into the edge of Camilla's range and switch so that Camilla rushes off to pointlessly fight Kaze with her tome rather than help Xander out with a dual strike empowered by Rose's Thorns on Ryoma which might needlessly complicate things.

Inexplicably, this time Xander does try to attack Ryoma instead of the much-juicier target of Takumi. The only difference I can think of is that Ryoma wasn't standing on a forest this time. Does that added evasion suddenly make Fates AI decide the calculations aren't worth it?

...Or was it because yesterday I gave Xander an opening to kill someone?

At any rate, it's checkmate. I have Dakota take out Camilla for the experience, and then Ryoma finishes off the now brutally-wounded Xander.

Dakota's still getting shitty level ups. HP, magic and skill. She's still stuck on 8 speed, only 2 higher than her base, at level nine.

High defense, decent magic, and terrible speed.

Looks like I'll be using the dragonstone longer than I initially planned to.

Anyway, the fight's over, and honestly, I think it's a testament to how good Thorn in You is that I actually started to feel bad about the battle by the end... until Azura yet again says something stupid and tells Dakota that if Dakota doesn't feel like she can bring herself to fight...

Azura: ...you can leave the fighting to me and Ryoma.

Azura, you're forgetting your grammar. The correct phrasing is “you can leave the fighting to Ryoma”.

So yeah, while I watch the opening cinematic, I just wanna add one more thing. What I like about this chapter in BR and CQ is that they let you temporarily take control of the whole family for this map, even the ones you haven't recruited yet, giving you a taste of what they can do. They can't gain experience and they don't count as deaths if they're defeated, which can be useful to keep in mind. Oh, and you can't trade their equipment away to keep it for yourself, and it's not the same iteration they'll come with when they join for real, so there's no point in conserving, say, Elise's freeze staff. No matter what you do with it, she'll still have it at full uses when she joins.

Use it.

Alright, so we've got a fishing hole and an amber spring. Fish is good, that boosts speed. Not that it matters though, since, y'know, online. Speaking of, let's visit some castles!

...Someone seems to have remembered that my biggest priorities last time were the chef's hat and arena shield, and gave me each, anticipating me needing them on a new file without me even needing to ask! Awesome! I'll have to check back and see who sent them!

Looks like Crystal gave me the arena shield, and I got chef's hats from Maof06 and Ishtar. You're all awesome, thanks a ton! And since it's been a while... chef's hats for everyone!

...Ah yes, also, I've got some supports. I'll skip the Kaze and Rinkah one, seeing as I already got that in Rev.

Ugh. I hate these short supports ending in cliffhangers. But up until then it was actually kind of nice. Though I honestly still don't think Azura has remotely consistent characterization. I'm reminded of an image I saw showing one of Azura's deaths, I think the Birthright one. And afterwards it showed the avatar going “Oh, Azura... you died as you lived...”

...without explanation.”

Oh man, I really like Dakota and Jakob's relationship in their supports. I haven't seen if it's different for when they're the same sex, interestingly enough. I don't think I've ever gotten Felicia's supports with a female avatar or Jakob's with a male one. I know Jakob's frankly a dickhead to anyone but the avatar, but his relationship with the avatar is pretty dang amusing and adorable.

Jakob's reaction to being asked to teach her how to make tea is priceless too: “...Very well. If you insist on this act of wanton domesticity, I will not stop you.”

One cute feature the treehouse has that I forgot to mention: you get to change your hairstyle. That's kinda nice. You obviously can't change any other part of your avatar, like hair color, or facial features, but you can change he hairstyle, and even the little accessory in her hair. Honestly, I liked this feature on the female avatar, this little accessory option. Would've been nice to have male equivalents, maybe a bandana or headband. Having that entire customization section just be empty on a male avatar feels weird.

I just changed my assistant to a spear master, because I obviously can't have Jakob manning the throne area and thus being unable to work in the kitchen when I give him the chef's hat once I unlock the accessory shop. Kinda dumb that you can get accessories before you can reliably give them to your units, but whatever.

...Also, it's a bit disappointing that this game doesn't re-color these generic portraits blue since they're allied with me. Weird. They're still red. Awakening didn't have that problem, oddly enough.

Right, time to finish up my castle visits for the day and move on to the next chapter, because I obviously ain't stopping here!

...Apparently bond unit progress apply across files. Either that or Mizore has been visiting me a lot since I last updated (you inherit everything since you last updated onto your new file even if they visited the castle on your old one) and thus it just took one present from me to get a bond unit with her.

Looks like Em had a similar idea to me, keeping the Hoshidan stuff to the east and the Nohrian stuff to the west. Though the resources seem to be backwards...

...Anyway, I've finished up, and... I guess I'll leave messing with East Dakota for later. I'll just make the shops and then check out the chapter map. See what I need to do.

Day 2 Bonus: Chapter 7

Ah yes, Fort Jinya. Chapter 8 of Revelation. But this time you're starting the map on the opposite side, and the enemy AI isn't shit.

Yeah, I'm already feeling optimistic about liking this game.

The fort is being used as a makeshift hospital at the moment, tending to the wounded of the border battle. Ah yes, that's another thing: during the battle, when you zoom in for combat, you can see soldiers standing in the background, representing the armies of both sides. Chapter 6 wasn't just a family feud, it was a war.

And of course, Sakura's there, tending to the wounded like a sweetheart. I don't like her quite as much as Elise, but she's still pretty endearing.

So, immediately after we arrive, before there's any time for any semblance of worldbuilding about what the fuck Fort Jinya is and what it's for, Nohrian soldiers show up. And I'm kinda reminded of that Justice League episode where every time the heroes start to get close to noticing something's not quite right about the world they wound up in, the secret puppetmaster makes villains spontaneously show up to distract them.

And Sakura's retainers, Hana and Subaki, have a petty but kind of amusing argument about who's the more important retainer, and...

...well they say we have to protect the wounded, but this isn't a defense map. Not even as a formality. That's kinda something that I always found odd, and why in one massive rewrite idea I had, Hoshido became the invading army (albeit with sufficiently sympathetic reasons that you could easily side with them). Why on earth would you assign the game with the more complicated gameplay objectives to the side that is the fucking invading army? We only got one defense map in Conquest, and as glorious as it is, they had to jump through serious hoops to justify its existence. If Birthright were the one they decided to make the one with complicated map objectives and difficult enemies, do you have any idea how many more defense maps they could have justified storywise?

Right, time to actually start battle prep.

I'm gonna hold off on breaking out the bonus items, since I'm interested in tackling this stat-screwage issue in a wholly organic way. I will be using DLC classes, at least here, maybe not in Conquest, but I won't be allowed to use the DLC class change seals until after I use a master seal.

I went back and bought some tonics because I can double a little over half of the enemies on the map with Dakota if she has a Kaze pair up and a speed tonic. A meal would've made it all of them, but alas.

Ooooh yes, almost forgot! We finally get this game's awesome preparation music: Resolve! I don't like Resolve (Light) as much as Resolve (Dark), but it's still pretty nice, and more importantly, I think it is an inexcusable travesty that they made “Those Who Visit” the prep theme for Revelation and not a mashup of the two Resolves.

No, fuck that, here's what they should've done: have “Those Who Visit” be the prep theme for the first half of the game, but the second everyone's in Valla, and Hoshido and Nohr have united against Anankos, from then on we get Resolve (Light and Dark), and Contest of Pride should've been the map theme for Revelation Chapter 18. Oh, and just while we're in fantasy land, Revelation shouldn't have been gimmicky garbage!

One thing that annoys me about this chapter is a lot of the deployment slots start uselessly behind a roundabout wall with nothing to do there. Including your two new units, Hana and Subaki. But whatever, let's get this show on the road.

Ah yes, and then Silas shows up, but we know that song and dance already. Yeah, he's a lot easier to use in Birthright than in Conquest and Revelation, but apparently he's really good in Conquest too. I'll be using him here for sure. I've seen a really cool build for him.

Anyway, I have Kaze get the seraph robe turn one, and take out the outlaw in the inner treasure chamber at the same time. Then I get Kaze back to the group so he can start building support points with Dakota. Right now Dakota's paired up with Jakob, which makes Dakota into a nigh-indestructible tank when she uses the dragonstone, and I'm using her to plug up the incoming tide of reinforcements in the bottleneck. By the time she got there two enemies were inside. A fighter who went in, and a knight who was already there. Over the first two turns both wound up wounded thanks to Dakota, so Subaki and Hana, who I got there through pair-up and singing, could finish them off.

Subaki is... basically the male Rinkah. I really, really want to use him, but the devs thought it would be funny to make him suck at the thing his class is supposed to be good at: speed. I don't have many plans for him. Hinoka basically renders him obsolete, even though I rarely use Hinoka to the endgame either. I think I'll try to this time. One of my original plans for this run was to marry Hinoka while having a wyvern rider reclass so that I could make her a wyvern rider to see if that would be fun.

Hana I managed to make use of in my first blind Birthright run, and that was fun. I paired her up with Silas and used both equally, and found they came in handy in different circumstances, and benefitted greatly from each other's pair-up bonuses as swordmaster and great knight. Not gonna fit well into my plans this time, sadly.

This map isn't really one of my favorites, namely because of the weird starting positions and the ridiculous bottlenecks you can and are encouraged to make. But the aggression of the enemies is already such an encouraging sign!

...Jakob got his first level, and to my immense shock... it's actually good! Strength and speed among them! I have gotten notoriously unlucky with Jakobs, or at least it's felt like it. He never seems to remain remotely competent after halfway through the game or so. Still though, I generally manage to make good use of him until then, passing down some awesome skills to his son.

...Yeah, Hoshido is kinda... notoriously devoid of units who can take a hit, so I'm relying a lot on Dakota's dragonstone here. There really aren't any openings for anyone else to come out and attack without getting killed.

The outlaw just showed up to take he second chest, but I managed to thin out the crowd swarming the gate enough that I should be able to finish them all off next turn and rush after him. Hopefully the fact that he's gonna get the chest won't cost me the 1000 gold he's carrying when I kill him. At any rate, he won't get everything. He's got no chance in hell of escaping out the front entrance before we get there.

Dakota gets defense, but yet again no speed. She does learn dragon fang however! Let's hope she procs some.

...Nope, but I finally have an opening for my more fragile units to come out and do some work.

We've finally broken through into the central front chamber, which means that soon Silas and his buddies are going to...

...yep, right on cue. Thankfully Dakota is close enough to plug up the entrance (prompting the amusing thought that the only reason this is a bottleneck is because the open field directly south of it is out of bounds), and now Jakob's gonna bait in the outlaw to take him out and get both the money and the armorslayer before Silas bites it.

Oh shit yes. Condemnation. As I've said before, I love this boss theme. The Nohrian boss themes that show up in Birthright are absolute fire. I'm looking forward to hearing this and “You of the Dark” a lot.

The outlaw unfortunately didn't fight Jakob, but we could hold Silas off long enough to take him out with Jakob and Subaki when he came out of the back room with the treasure. Now to finish off Silas and end the map for today.

...Nope, first, let's have Jakob and Subaki finish off one of these knights we left in the corner. Might as well.

...Aaand that knight had 5000 gold.

And I was about to finish the level without it.

...Except not, because it's a rout map. I don't know why I thought it was a kill boss map, but it isn't. Alright, good thing I didn't put Jakob and Subaki anywhere dangerous. ...I still apparently have some more Revelation to shake off. No matter. I think the game's made it clear enough that it will not disappoint me in making me think about my actions again.

Silas says something that rather vaguely implies he's not even here on Garon's orders and just came to help out... maybe? Doesn't explain why he fought anyway. Maybe I've misinterpreted this.

Anyway, Saizo and Orochi show up. Yeah, you get units a lot faster in in Birthright than in Conquest.

...But uh... as they tell us that Ryoma and Takumi have gone missing near Izumo, this just calls attention to the fact that we have no idea how or why Ryoma, Hinoka and Takumi split up from us in the first place. Why exactly didn't we all go back to Hoshido together? What was the prompting for having Dakota and Sakura split up from the rest? No, wait, even Sakura split up from Dakota! Judging by the opening dialogue, we just met up with her again for some reason! Why was there no conversation? In Conquest, the situation the avatar is in after finishing Chapter 6 logically follows. They said they were going to see Garon, and they went to see Garon. And they did it together.

...Anyway, we've got a lot of supports to look through before finishing up for the day.

Oh my god this Dakota and Jakob B support is priceless. My favorite part, after Dakota says all she has to do is learn how to keep the tea from going bitter:

Jakob: Quite, but... I'm afraid we'll run out of tea leaves first. And by “we,” I mean the nation.

HAHAHAHAHAHA! And after one other bit of snark from Jakob:

Dakota: I'm not listening, but I can still hear you!

Ah yes, and the important part: with this last attempt, Jakob secretly cheats for her by messing with the tea behind her back.

...Honestly, this support set is really, really endearing, and honestly almost makes the avatar likable.

Ooh! And I managed a support with Kaze! That's one down, two to go before saving him from death, three before marriage.

Ah yes, I already did this in Revelation, I don't need to talk about this again.

...And the Sakura one as well. Which only leaves...

...Ah yes, Rinkah and Subaki. I paired them up because Subaki was the only guy on my team other than Kaze who could reliably double, thanks to darting blow, so I gave him the power boost. Anyway, their support is about Rinkah being concerned about Subaki being reckless, which is an interesting twist on what you'd assume the direction of this concern would be considering their personalities.

Well, that's it for today, then! While this wasn't the best first map, I think Chapter 6 already soundly demonstrated this is going to be more fun than Revelation was. Here's hoping!

Stay safe, everyone!

people always shit on poor slighted subaki and i always use him and he always serves me well. in birthright he even makes it to endgame for me most of the time (obviously not revelation because TOO MANY PEOPLE). by the time darting blow isn't patching up his speed enough anymore (which takes a while because it's base 10 + 35%, he's not orochi here), his defense is good enough that he still has a niche, specially in birthright.

i just cannot with rinkah, though. base E axes/clubs, lol. not particularly good bases, only good growths are skill and defense, her starting skills aren't useful, she doesn't fly... training mozu as a villager is more rewarding than this (exaggeration?). good defense in birthright is supposed to be valuable though. maybe i should try harder. i can't get past E clubs, though. WHY

so glad to see your opinions on birthright are already most positive with regards to gameplay! hope that keeps up.

Edited by Axie

31 minutes ago, Axie said:

people always shit on poor slighted subaki and i always use him and he always serves me well. in birthright he even makes it to endgame for me most of the time (obviously not revelation because TOO MANY PEOPLE). by the time darting blow isn't patching up his speed enough anymore, his defense is good enough that he still has a niche, specially in birthright.

i just cannot with rinkah, though. base E axes/clubs, lol. not particularly good bases in anything but defense and her strengrh growth is abysmal. training mozu as a villager is more rewarding than this.

I find it hard for EITHER to be useful, other than as a pair up bot. Especialy Rinkah. E axes is the least of her worries. You have the fact that literally everything in chapter 5 has WTA over her, and the same goes for chapter 6 - she does jack shit to the most lucrative targets in the map, all of whom ALSO make her face WTD. Whoopee. Why the hell does she have this bad of a start?! Because barring extreme circumstances like Wendy, that has to be the worst start for a Fire Emblem unit ever.

1 hour ago, Alastor15243 said:

...Yeah, Hoshido is kinda... notoriously devoid of units who can take a hit, so I'm relying a lot on Dakota's dragonstone here. There really aren't any openings for anyone else to come out and attack without getting killed.

...Aaaaand that's why I prefer Robust as my boon these days. Particularly on Birthright, as most Hoshidans aren't known for taking hits like a champ, and most of the few that can have issues.

Anyway, my take on the dream sequence is that some of the units featured there are those who join because of Corrin (notably Nyx and Keaton on the Nohrian side; can't remember who this applies to on the Hoshidan side).

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

You have the fact that literally everything in chapter 5 has WTA over her, and the same goes for chapter 6 - she does jack shit to the most lucrative targets in the map, all of whom ALSO make her face WTD.

first six chapters are easy to ignore because there's the possibility the player doesn't even play them again (i always do, but still). but her bad start remains even after chapter 7! and i do think being locked to a miserable brass club is a big part of it. subaki is much easier to use (though i did overlook the fact he actually has 5% less strength growth as rinkah in their base classes, so i edited that out about rinkah. the power of not starting at E rank!).

Edited by Axie

2 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Azura, you're forgetting your grammar. The correct phrasing is “you can leave the fighting to Ryoma”.

Birthright.txt?

Oh, and you can't trade their equipment away to keep it for yourself, and it's not the same iteration they'll come with when they join for real, so there's no point in conserving, say, Elise's freeze staff. No matter what you do with it, she'll still have it at full uses when she joins.

Use it.

Good to know for Conquest Lunatic.

Subaki is... basically the male Rinkah. I really, really want to use him, but the devs thought it would be funny to make him suck at the thing his class is supposed to be good at: speed. I don't have many plans for him. Hinoka basically renders him obsolete, even though I rarely use Hinoka to the endgame either.

Subaki to me is the worst retainer. I honestly prefer Rinkah too (though why does she and Sakura have E?), but the gap's not massive.

I've never seen him be reliable in strength growth either and sure he might have one of the highest defences of a pegasus sky knight I've seen, but he still didn't end up all that high. That and Dex might be alright, but he's usually not worrying about hitting things so much as dealing damage to the things he hits. His personal's reliant on him not taking damage and the moment he does that's a shame.

Then Hinoka comes along and clowns him in one chapter. Aside from his better defence (an issue mitigated by the guard naginata, one of which she comes with. And they have the same base.). I think he could have a better chance in Rev actually, being his stats aren't messed with and he has better comparable availability as a default flier.

Hana I managed to make use of in my first blind Birthright run, and that was fun. I paired her up with Silas and used both equally, and found they came in handy in different circumstances, and benefitted greatly from each other's pair-up bonuses as swordmaster and great knight. Not gonna fit well into my plans this time, sadly.

Also not all that amazing, but she has later competition.

Hinata and her I'm not sure where to rank, they're not all that great but I wouldn't call them awful, just feel like I've never quite gotten them figured out. Hinata has levels and a defence stat going for him, but Hana has more availability, her bases aren't all that far behind for being 6 levels below and on top of a better personal.

Then Ryoma happens.

1 hour ago, Axie said:

first six chapters are easy to ignore because there's the possibility the player doesn't even play them again (i always do, but still). but her bad start remains even after chapter 7! and i do think being locked to a miserable brass club is a big part of it. subaki is much easier to use (though i did overlook the fact he actually has 5% less strength growth as rinkah in their base classes, so i edited that out about rinkah. the power of not starting at E rank!).

Let's say for argument's sake she did start off at D rank. It wouldn't change much of anything, as an Iron Club has only 1 more might than a Brass Club. Also, I'd say Subaki's biggest problem is that he's literally obsoleted by Hinoka after his joining chapter (at least in Birthright).

Edited by Shadow Mir

Just now, Femboy Advance SP said:

Personally I find Rinkah's E rank in axes/clubs a non issue, I've always gotten her up to D by the end of chapter 6.   Makes me wonder how everyone else tackles chapter 4 and 5.

I use her as a pair-up bot for Kaze to train him up to tackle the huge number of mages at the bottom part of Chapter 5.

44 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Let's say for argument's sake she did start off at D rank. It wouldn't change much of anything, as an Iron Club has only 1 more might than a Brass Club. Also, I'd say Subaki's biggest problem is that he's literally obsoleted by Hinoka after his joining chapter (at least in Birthright).

if we are not still doing that doing where we pretend like visiting other castles doesn't exist, you could go to another castle and get her an 8 mt iron axe. a small amount of visit points would also get her the ryoma's club, which is innacurate and i know how deathly allergic you are to any weapon below 85 hit, but she starts out doing so little damage to some enemies i may just want to take the risk. a ryoma's club might be obtained from normal my castle activity anyway (though the points one is guaranteed), and also a D rank would allow her to use the throwing club sooner to chip.

meanwhile, visit points get subaki the subaki's pike, which he can use instantly and doubles to 8 mt on most enemies due to his high skill, and allows him to deal more damage sooner in the early game. and even if hinoka outclasses him, should you choose to use both (as i do) or even just him (for why? i know i am defending him but hinoka is very good lol) he can get to C for guard naginata more easily than he could if he started at E.

as for how i clear chapters 4 and 5, rinkah usually can't do shit to the facelesseseses in chapter 4 and is just a stat sack to someone. same for chapter 5. i can't even imagine the boredom of babying her there.

Edited by Axie

I find the lack of any mention of the Dragon Veins on this map kinda telling. There are quite a few Birthright chapters that underutilized their Dragon Veins...

4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

...Except not, because it's a rout map. I don't know why I thought it was a kill boss map, but it isn't. Alright, good thing I didn't put Jakob and Subaki anywhere dangerous. ...I still apparently have some more Revelation to shake off. No matter. I think the game's made it clear enough that it will not disappoint me in making me think about my actions again.

Its either one or the other in Birthright. I find that those two objectives get old in this game...

As for all this Rinkah talk, she really is kinda mediocre. Having around the 2nd (3rd with the right Corrin...) highest defense in Birthright is the strongest point in her favor (and if you can grind her up to D rank tome in Oni Chieftain the horse spirit might even push her into the highest defense in the mid to late game). She sorta needs her personal skill active to do real damage, fortunately she can take a hit easily enough to get it active, and if you you don't need her action first turn she can chug an HP tonic on her first turn to reach the condition before seeing combat. Her speed is also a bit of a problem for her, especially compared to her peers, and that is a problem that is much harder to fix. I took her to endgame in my female only run of Birthright on Lunatic, and she was ...ok, not one of the best units, but had her uses. If I were using men as well she might not have made the cut, but it would have been a close call...

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I find the lack of any mention of the Dragon Veins on this map kinda telling. There are quite a few Birthright chapters that underutilized their Dragon Veins...

Yeah. I can remember a few I found really useful, but others in Birthright were... kinda pointless.

3 hours ago, Axie said:

as for how i clear chapters 4 and 5, rinkah usually can't do shit to the facelesseseses in chapter 4 and is just a stat sack to someone. same for chapter 5. i can't even imagine the boredom of babying her there.

4 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

I use her as a pair-up bot for Kaze to train him up to tackle the huge number of mages at the bottom part of Chapter 5.

I always had her tank the faceless in attack stance with kaze, the three vulneraries were enough to survive until you save sakura.   Chapter 5 yeah she's supporting kaze while he deals with the mages but I bottle neck them in the upper left corner until only the mercenaries live so I can have her tank them so I can grind both her and sakura's ranks at the same time.    Tedious maybe but I'm not an LTC player.

11 hours ago, Alastor15243 said:

Subaki is... basically the male Rinkah. I really, really want to use him, but the devs thought it would be funny to make him suck at the thing his class is supposed to be good at: speed. I don't have many plans for him. Hinoka basically renders him obsolete, even though I rarely use Hinoka to the endgame either. I think I'll try to this time. One of my original plans for this run was to marry Hinoka while having a wyvern rider reclass so that I could make her a wyvern rider to see if that would be fun.

Imagine if he had natural access to Spear Fighter rather than Samurai. That´d be a direct upgrade from slow Peg.

8 hours ago, Dayni said:

Also not all that amazing, but she has later competition.

Hinata and her I'm not sure where to rank, they're not all that great but I wouldn't call them awful, just feel like I've never quite gotten them figured out.

Ngl, Sniper Hana was a sight to behold. Then again, being a Sniper in Fates and being bad is an achievement. Right Setsuna?

11 hours ago, Axie said:

only good growths are skill and defense, her starting skills aren't useful,

And SPD. She has 45% base SPD growth. And you might find Seal Res useful... if you find a mage you want to use.

5 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Her speed is also a bit of a problem for her, especially compared to her peers, and that is a problem that is much harder to fix.

She´s no Kaze, but she´s not particularly slow either? And almost all Hoshido classes give some form of +SPD PU. Her lack of either STR/MAG is a far bigger problem.

She also has that problem, where you pick up a perfectly fine Wyvern Lord at the end of chapter 13 who just so happens to surpass her in almost every relevant aspect, barring availability.

3 hours ago, Femboy Advance SP said:

I always had her tank the faceless in attack stance with kaze, the three vulneraries were enough to survive until you save sakura.   Chapter 5 yeah she's supporting kaze while he deals with the mages but I bottle neck them in the upper left corner until only the mercenaries live so I can have her tank them so I can grind both her and sakura's ranks at the same time. 

The chapter 5 thingy, does that work on Lunatic? Because I only know of the one way of clearing that map, where you have to block the PU Mercs with Kaze after clearing the chokepoint of the Dark Mages.